“Great little boutique hotel”
Review of Hotel Sophia

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hydra Town
Hotel Sophia
Ranked #1 of 17 Hydra Town B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 1, 2011

Many thanks to Vassiliki and Angeliki and their team for a superb stay. Everything was top notch, and the location could not be better. Triple glazed windows ensured peace and quiet whenever you like.Just wish they could deliver breakfast to me every day.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a private balcony at the front if possible.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank HilaryCairo
There are newer reviews for Hotel Sophia

Reviewed September 5, 2011

We have visited Hydra several times now and have concluded that it is the most incredible island we have yet discovered. The same can be said for the welcome, quality and comfort of this charming boutique hotel.
We have chosen to stay in different hotels each time Hydra has been our destination but this year's choice of the Sophia is definitely the best we have had the privilege to rest our heads in. We stayed here for 7 nights in May 2011.
As other reviewers state, the owners make every detail effortlessly special. The hotel is immaculately presented and the breakfast certainly sets you up for a day meandering around the town, hiking to the monasteries in the hills or strolling to one of the beaches within walking distance rather than taking the water taxis. Breakfast is varied and plentiful with the added delight of homemade breads and cakes and I would highly recommend the eggs and bacon cooked to order. Although you are advised what times breakfast is served, the owners are very laid back and flexible so there is no rush whatsoever; an attitude to island life in general.
Our room was one of the two front mezzanine rooms with it's own balcony. This gives the perfect vantage point to enjoy the gentle hustle and bustle of the harbour. It is fascinating to watch the cargo being unloaded from the boats, reloaded onto donkeys or carts and finally transported up the narrow,cobbled alleyways as the only motorized transport is the bin lorry. There is a small communal balcony available to guests staying in the other rooms and it is more than pleasant to while away a few hours drinking ouzo or wine chilled in the small fridge in your room, chatting to fellow guests.
Life on the island is amazing with no traffic other than donkeys, friendly, welcoming islanders, great food and hospitality and I always feel as if I have travelled back in time when here.
One highlight that we discovered this trip was the Taverna Leonidas. This is actually in the home of Leo and his charming wife, a few minutes walk up the hill from the hotel. You must make a reservation beforehand and these lovely people welcome you as family, cooking specifically for you. This is an experience we will be repeating during our next stay at the Sophia.
All in all, I cannot rate this hotel and island highly enough and hope that the readers of this review enjoy it as much as we do.
Debbie, Nottingham, England

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank DebbieWilliamson22
Reviewed September 3, 2011

This hotel is special. Wonderful owners, like family. A wonderful location, beautiful room with balcony overlooking port and breakfast with homemade specialties a delight.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sfg159
Reviewed August 27, 2011

It was like home! The rooms were clean and very well decorated. The people were friendly, helpfull and well informed. The breakfast was worth mentioning as there were many local and handmade treets. I totally recomend it

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank astegos
Reviewed August 18, 2011

I stayed at the hotel with my sister, brother in law and my two nephews! We had once again an excellent experience. We are diffidently visiting next year, hopefully for more days.
p.s. Mrs Vasiliki and Mrs Aggeliki thank you for everything!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Stavros A
Reviewed June 27, 2011

We arrived with my mother by chance in Hydra. But we had the chance to rent a room in a beautiful hotel "Wisdom". Owners of the building is carefully prepared by sisters Angeliki and Vassiliki. The whole place exudes a calmness, serenity and love.

The rooms:
We saw all 6 hotel rooms and we realized that each one is made with taste. Even the smallest room is decent, and especially ... spacious! With clever ideas they have managed to put everything you might need. Each room has TV, hairdryer, heater, a small fridge and great beds that do not grind! The refrigerator of each room containing soft drinks and water without cost, while candies and chocolates each day magically appeared! All for free!

About breakfast:
The next thing I want to write, is the wonderful breakfast. First time in my life I went to a hotel that I was free to take my morning what time I wanted without having to get up early to catch the time! The breakfast was massive! It had everything I could think of! Ofcourse the jams were handmade ​​by sisters Angeliki and Vassiliki!

The financial cost of the room:

I am absolutely certain that money to double my asking, would I give because they deserve it. This is a hotel that benefits are much more accurate than the final total of money requested by the customer. Good for them even in this area!

In conclusion:

This is a hotel that respect for the customer is a matter of principle. Thank you Angeliki and Vassiliki! Be assured that we will be back soon!

Mary and Irene

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
8  Thank irenek82
Reviewed June 22, 2011

The hostesses were very accommodating after our arrival was delayed by port strikes. We came a day late around 10am and were immediately offered the most delicious, made-to-order breakfast with homemade bread to boot. Our room was lofted with a sofa bed downstairs and double bed in the loft. Everything was clean and new. The balcony was a great place to relax and watch the bustle of the harbor.
Everything is at your fingertips and a perfect terraced cliff with a pool-ladder into the sea is just a 5 minute walk away.
I highly recommend Hotel Sofia and if I ever find myself on the beautiful island of Hydra again, I will definitely be staying there.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
Cotommatae Hydra 1810
Cotommatae Hydra 1810
#1 of 2 in Hydra Town
Orloff Boutique Hotel

Been to Hotel Sophia? Share your experiences!