“Happy holidays...again⭐️☀️!”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Stafford, United Kingdom
“Happy holidays...again⭐️☀️!”
Reviewed June 17, 2014

I was her in end of May (3 kids, 15, 12 & 1, plus himself).

You can get really good late deals to here online, but some of the room extras are debatably a waste of money regarding room selection. From experience, it is pot-luck to what room you get. No correlation to what you think you have booked either, as proved this time!

As we were only here for a week, I emailed the hotel to make sure upon arrival, ( 8.30pm, on daughters birthday, our check- in would be as smooth as possible & we could check in & then enjoy a birthday meal together .... I received a very prompt email reply, welcoming me back to the resort, so my mind was put at rest. I thought anyway!

I was disappointed on arrival to the hotel ( which can be chaotic, but have experience far worse elsewhere ((Barcelo Thallso Spa, Fuertuventa Feb 2014, fabulously chaotic if you like that crazy thing!))that the 2 rooms. I had paid extra for, we're not allocated to us. My blood pressure went up a touch. Gin & tonic required.

To cut a very long story very short, the Thomson rep on duty, Giovanni, lovely welsh lad, had to listen to me winge & moan for the rest of the first evening. Oh not forgetting Carlos on reception, he had an ear full too, think he tucked his lovely curly long hair in his ears to deafen my ranting. Sorry Carlos.

So we could not swap rooms that night, but hopefully would sort it out in the morning. I explained how annoying it would be to half un pack & repack the next morning for 5 people...but I had to do it. And that we did, as soon as the management okayed it. Thank you management. I was quite annoyed really, as it meant our first evening was stressful & it was my daughter birthday ( and big Ds!!). But ended well the next morning, shortly after breakfast.

Breakfast is lovely by the way. Vast, vast range...you will 100% find something here that floats your breakfast boat. Well done the breakfast chefs! It can get busy, particularly inJuly August, but normally a sign of good food.

Finally, yes it is windy here, but if you look on trip advisor map, the clues are there...it's on a "wind-surfers paradise", I like it breezy. The weather was beautifully sunny too. Nice walk the right of the complex, past the spa, over the bridge, through reception & follow the sea. Perfect for pushchairs & fairly wheelchair friendly.

Not sure what was going on with the flies, never noticed a problem before? Yikes! No likely the flies!

Evening dinner is still fab, my fav is the delicious fresh salmon on the carving station! Yum. Great chef on the carving station, so friendly & good at his job he either gave me a recipe for the red sauce. Thank him please. The whole family never leaves the restaurant without enjoying something they like. Lunch by the pool is fine, just need some more plastic covers to protect the food from flies, turned my tum to see them crawling on the open bread area. Big no. Also some of the waiters in restaurant need to take some happy pills, they ruin it for the ones who are good & helpful...it takes nothing to smile, particularly if you are in a customer facing role!

Kids & himself also love it here. Happy kids=happy life! We have been to many places, this is always a favourite. Like a comfy old faithful...to us. Quick flight, close to the airport, nice food, sun, entertainment....no brainer?

The dog still a big fav of the little kiddie winks. The teens claim there isn't much todo at night, but they are happy playing pool in the evening. Maybe give them a "hang-out" area like the Nordic lot have. Have a word someone, it would make a difference.

Very lively Entertainment team. Keep it going! Summer holidays are coming, hard act to follow from last year, but still good team coming together. People forgot they are thrown together beginning of May!

Tash (Team manager & straight taker, which I like & been here at the Orquidea while) & Giovanni are the holiday reps on site, if they can help, they will. Thanks for sorting out my room issues. Please forgot any theories I have about what actually is going on up on the 6th floor. And, I didn't really mean what I said about the "blue village" connotations! & the meth lab theory. I was only joking! Been watching too much Breaking Bad!

Welcome drinks on arrival in reception would be a nice touch.

Someone needs to check the room & brochure spec is really not mid-leading. A dressing gown & a packet of crisps & bowl of fruit does not make a superior room, not in my eyes!

Loyalty for repeat customers, I received some spa vouchers, a very nice touch. Cheers for that!

A water machine in the near the lifts on each floor would be welcomed.

Big daddy. Yes, he has really earns that title. Gentle yet quick witted, fun loving giant. He is growing his beard for charity, Incase you are wondering! Chuck your spare change in his charity box for Luca in the sound box. Whenever I travelled here alone many moons ago as a hard working single parent ( I hear violins) he kept his eye on me in a non- invasive way. Like my own security guard! Thanks for those days big fellow!! It is really not easy traveling abroad alone with children, unless you have done it, you would never know! So if you ever see a lone parent struggling with children in an airport or on coaches, offer a hand with that luggage if you have a spare one, it will be so appreciated!

Final note on the crèche, they were building a new one whilst we were there. It looks amazing, when it gets finished. My 20 month girl went to the crèche once, and hated it....she loved it last year. Every time we got near the door, she screamed. Two theories, could be just a age thing, or could be a bit more effort needs be made by the new team to settle the nervous legclinging tots. Maybe play some music, blow bubbles, blow up balloon, any distraction... I sat outside the crèche for 20 mins listening to the creche girls & how they dealt with my crying child. I was sadly disappointed. But, it is early in season, a new team, moving crèches, crying kids...but really, should you be talking about how much you crave dominos pizza?! They also didn't hear me knocking on the door for 5 minutes! So this time the pre/booked/paid crèche was a waste of time & money. But that is just my experience this time. I did mention it to the team leader, she didn't seem interested. There plenty of play areas for tots dotted around, or even just play on the grassy area by the sea, beautiful view & the gardens are well kept.

The maid service at this hotel is very good. Please someone thank them. Even my teenage girls commented on how hard working they are, picking up all the clothes they had left on the floor. It made them think how messy they are! Thank you for that!

I like that lifeguards are on duty by the pool, to watch & assist with simple first aid. I think the whole towel paper slip return thing is a waste of time, but again seen worse (Mexico, sirenis maya beach Dec 2013, just saying).

Oh, if you get chance go to the spa. The pools in here are truly a treat. I took my 15 year old daughter. Very refreshing & relaxing. Thank you!

And if anyone found/finds a small brown teddy bear with big feet & red nail polish (very open minded bear), please send me a memo. We just want him home safe, we don't mind what he has done or where he has been, we just want you home teddy.....you are missed.

See you again Orquidea. I'm quite sure...if you will have me ( by the way I sometimes read the daily mail on line...what does that make me!)

Room Tip: Lucky, lucky dip.....winners & losers!!! I blame Tui uk & I !
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
7 Thank Emma B
JAVIER M, Manager at TUI Family Life Orquidea, responded to this review, June 24, 2014
Hello,Big Daddy here!

Thank you for your recent visit and the time you spent reporting your comments and valuations regarding our service and facilities.

Any positive or negative comments give us a true opportunity to learn how to improve and provide better service.

It was lovely to see you again and thank you so much for your kind comments,please let me know if you plan to visit in the future.

We are glad you enjoyed your visit to Bahia Feliz and we look forward to seeing you again in the future.

35107 – Gran Canaria – Spain

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (369)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Swindon
Reviewed June 17, 2014

Stayed here for a week as a family, two kids aged 7 and 12. Rooms good size and clean, comfortable beds and decent bathroom with bath/shower. Food was of a really high standard and dishes available for dinner varied a lot. Swimming pool is good, although it tends to be freezing first thing, not convinced it's heated. Plenty of activities on in the day if you want them, but didn't feel that the Thomson reps forced you to participate. There really isn't much to do in the area, but you can get a bus to busier resorts, would recommend going to Playa des Ingles.
Would recommend.

Room Tip: If you have very young children I'd ask for a room away from the main entertainment area as loud...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank jaceyboy
Dear Sir/Madam

We are glad to hear you enjoyed your visit to Bahia Feliz and we look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Alton, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 16, 2014

Just returned from 2 weeks all inclusive with a 4 year old and a 4 month old. Overall had a good holiday and would certainly agree with all the positive comments about its family orientation, the fantastic Thomson staff / entertainment team, and the excellent food. These were all very good, good value for money, and at or above expectation for the price.

Having holiday'd at mostly 4* and 5* all inclusives in Turkey for the last 7 years I can only make a direct comparison with those holidays, and based on that would say Orquidea is more like a 3*.

What was Good?
1 - Thompson Entertainment Team & Onsite Reps. Wonderful with kids, hardworking and talented, all the kids loved them and cannot be faulted.
2 - Food - all very good with the exception of the kids buffet which was always pretty much stone cold (we preferred to get our kids food from the adult buffet which was great) and the snack bar which was low in quality by comparison to the main restaurant.
3 - Short transfer from / to airport
4 - Entertainment in the evenings. Don't be afraid to also check out the entertainment aimed at the Scandanavian TUI holidaymakers (I think) in the smaller Tavern by the Sea bar. This was often much better and a nicer environment also.
5 - Drinks - local beer and wine was very good which is often not the case (especially the wine). Shame there was not a 24 hour drink service - you couldn't even get a glass of water anywhere after midnight.
6 - Aquapark. Well worth a day out and very close-by
7 - Main bed was comfy and balcony/sea view was good. Maid service was also good and room was freshened daily.
8 - Reception staff friendly and responsive
9 - The baby room. Really great concept and very helpful

What was not so good?

1 - No evening food past 9pm. This is the first place we have visited where there isn't a late light buffet or snack.
2 - Arrival process was very poor. This hotel are used to late arrivals (we arrived at 11.50pm). There was one reception worker checking in a whole coachload. One! There were no welcome drinks on the small welcome drinks table. We were told we had 3 minutes to get a drink from the bar if we wanted one - which was not ideal with 3 kids, 3 cases etc to handle. There was also no food on arrival. Again a first for us and not good with small kids who have been travelling for several hours. Some basic bread, cheese, cold meats and drinks would have been well received. Having paid for a cot we arrived to our room to no cot, and not even the sofa bed made up for our 4 year old. We had to head back to reception and then wait some time whilst someone came to bring a cot and make up the childs sofa bed. I then had to negotiate hard with the lady to give my son a pillow - she just pointed to our bed as if to say give him one of yours! None of this ideal at gone midnight.
3 - no bottled water. Either get it from the shop at your own cost. Or juggle small flimsy plastic cups from the bar to your room. There are trays occasionally if you are lucky. If not don't be surprised if the bar staff send you off to the snack bar to get your own tray.
4 - no baby food. For a family resort this is again the first time that I have been somewhere without all inclusive baby foods/cereals. The baby section of the restaurant consisted of a microwave and a pile of serviettes. Seriously.
5 - cleanliness round pool. The pool staff had a really annoying habit of emptying the wheelie bins into a large wheelie bin - but not by removing the bin liner, instead by tipping it up so as to re-use the bin liner. This resulted in coke, ice cream, etc running down the sides of the bins each time they did it. This at least kept some of the thousands of flies off your body for 5 mins, but the smell was vile and frankly it was just lazy.
6 - Safe - €36 for the use of the safe seemed a bit un-necessary to me
7 - Flies and cockroaches. Big problem. Reception seemed quite relaxed when we told them there were cockroaches in the baby room. Flies not something the hotel can do much about I don't suppose but they were extremely tiresome. Interestingly didn't see one single fly at the aquapark or Maspalomas beach.
8 - There is some kind of airfield next door so a constant stream of private planes/learner pilots and loud choppers overhead day and night.
9 - Last but not least was the attitude of the restaurant management. Not the waiting staff, but the seniors in the blue shirts. The first restaurant I have ever been in where they do not acknowledge you - not a hello, goodbye, nothing... not until you dare break the rules by wearing a sleeveless shirt that is. After 13 days of being ignored, I risked a sleeveless shirt on our last night as all our bags were packed and I wanted to travel in such a shirt. Indeed I had seen the sign but figured as we had seemed invisible for 13 days and were about to depart, it would be ok. How wrong I was. They were all over me nearly as badly as the flies were. And not politely either. After several discussions with several people I was issued with a hotel shirt and instructed to wear it if I wanted to be served. I then had every member of staff observe me from the window as though some kind of criminal. Whilst fully respecting culture there is a way to handle this and the reality is that we are not seen as customers by the hotel management - just as holidaymakers who have to live by the rules. What is even more bizarre is that women could be practically topless in there and that was fine. The issue here was not the rule but the way it was handled. For the sake of my family I opted to deal with this in good humor and donned my wife's glittery poncho... But this was a sour end to the holiday I have to say.

So in summary - for a cheapish and cheerful family break, go for it. Expect 3* and you'll not be disappointed. Personally will be sticking to Turkey to avoid the wind and flies and get some decent, friendly customer service.

Room Tip: Floor 4 and above to see the sea above the trees. Avoid floor 11 as some rooms have enclosed greenho...
4 Thank M1BDK
JAVIER M, Manager at TUI Family Life Orquidea, responded to this review, June 17, 2014
Dear Sir/Madam

We really do take on board everthing you have mentioned and some of your comments regarding restaurant service will be investigated

We thank you for visiting our hotel and hope that one day you may return.

uk
Reviewed June 16, 2014

Me and my husband (both 30 no kids) have just got back from a week here.
We booked last min through Thompson and got a great deal.
We knew what to expect as it is a family resort so lots of kids, still we had a great time as a couple.
Food was excellent for a all inc hotel always plenty choice for breakfast lunch and dinner, meal times are quite hectic depending on what time you go but there is an adults only section and a quiet room for main evening meal.
Pool snack bar was great plenty of choice and ice cream for kids etc..
Pool's get busy first thing but always spare beds to put your own round the pool, there's a quiet section near the sea front for anyone but mainly adults always lots of room.
Beware though you get more breeze near the front so you can get burnt not thinking it's that hot as we did on the first day.
Not much to do outside the complex but there is a supermarket few shops and a couple of bars and restaurants, we went to the Chinese and one of the Italians, Chinese was really good.
Franky's bar was good if you fancy a break.
It's about 9euros by taxi to the next town which has a lovely sandy beach lots of bars and restaurants it's not cheap though we payed 10euros for a beer and a vodka and coke still it was nice to get out for the night.
Drinks at the all inc were good but you can get brands such as Smirnoff for just 2 euros which I thought was great.
Rooms nice and spacious and clean but as the lady said in the other review TAKE YOUR OWN HAIRDRYER I got caught out by a review saying you don't need one, yes there is one but you would be quicker putting your head under the hand dryers. That was my only disappointment and I have fine hair so cant imagine how any one with thick hair managed so could only wash my hair twice the whole week, did ask at reception if they hired them but they don't.
Overall a great holiday great staff,but if your a couple that doesn't like noise and kids it's not the place for you.
We would definitely return when we have kids.

Room Tip: Worth the extra 14 pound for a higher sea view room
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank christie430

Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 15, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here in June 2013, travelling as a family of 2 adults and 2 children aged 7 and 10. Plenty to do to kids entertained. Kids club and entertainment team are fantastic. Entertainment was good for all ages. Hotel is lovely and we had a family room that was very spacious. Not much of a beach by the hotel but a short distance away you can visit playa del ingles or maspalomas for better beaches. Both lovely places to visit. Hotel food was good, own section for kids. Overall lovely hotel with plenty to do to do all throughout the day.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank vickig83

Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 15, 2014

We have just returned from holiday here this morning and arranging dates so we can go back! We stayed here with our 5 year old and seriously cannot fault! All the staff were very friendly from the reception staff, waitress/waiter to the maids and they was all great with our son.

The entertainment team was amazing, really no words to say how good they was. Lisa lollipop, Steady Eddy and Big Daddy had you in stitches, especially big daddy in his various costumes for aquafit (the chicken was fab!). The entertainment at this hotel is non stop from 1130 till 2300 with activities for all ages and abilities, including aquafit, water polo, kennel club, quizzes, various games and challenges, shows and you cannot forget Thomson the Dog who makes various appearances throughout the day. All the family can get involved and if your lucky you can win stickers, certificates, bubbly and the sort after top dog t-shirt and aquafit king/queen for the day!
The team had a fantastic rapport with adults and children alike and it was obvious that many families return! I don't know how the team remembers everyone and there names, really welcoming!

Our son attended the kids club on numerous occasions which I was very nervous about at first, but after the first session we couldn't get our son away from the various sessions/parties he ended up with a better social life here than we did! The kids club staff were all English and fully qualified here in the UK. They again remembered every child's name outside of the club sessions and provided a very professional, fun, safe service which we cannot thank enough! Our son is usually very shy and reluctant to join in but not here! They even had evening parties (some had a fee) which my little one thought was fantastic and asked to go every night!

The hotel itself was everything you expect from a family hotel, clean and safe. The decor was up to a good standard and our standard room was everything we needed and very comfortable. The balcony I was nervous about prior to going with a child but I needn't have worried!

The hotel has various facilities including a number of bars and restaurants, however some are not included in your all inclusive package, but I believe you could eat at the tapas bar 1 night within your all inclusive package.
We only ate at the main buffet area and the pool snack bar and we could again not complain about the food choice, quality and cleanliness. However did chuckle at the various foods at breakfast that you wouldn't usually expect like peas, cauliflower, carrots and broccoli however the kids appeared to love these choices! There was various stations including fresh fish, salad, bread, vegetarian, gluten free, diet, local produce etc.... The cake station was our families fave, with homemade mini cakes, icecream bar and chocolate fountain. They also had theme evenings; chinese etc... They also had a little people section with children friendly options and a baby station.
The staff in the restaurant were again fantastic, great with the kids and very efficient!

There was a lunch time buffet however we didn't get round to visiting this but I am sure it would have been to the same standard as the breakfast and main meal buffets.

The pool bar had a salad station, cheese, meats, make your own sandwiches and panini stations along with hot dogs, burgers, chips etc... We are vegetarian so couldn't comment about the hot dogs / burgers but they appeared very popular!

We spent virtually the whole time at the pool as my little boy is a water baby. There is two swimming pools and a smaller children's pool (minimal depth) with a climbing frame/slide this was the main reason why we opted for this hotel, however my son didn't like the tipping bucket on the slide so never actually used but it defiantly was entertaining seeing various people being soaked by the bucket!

My only advice would be take surf shoes for ALL the family as the tiles were very hot but more importantly very slippery, all staff did advise you to take care but the surf shoes would be something we will take next time with us!

And finally ladies don't make the mistake I did and make sure you take your own hair dryer as I would still be there now trying to dry my hair with the room wall mounted hair dryer! Haha

Seriously if you want a family holiday that's fun filled and action packed this one is for you, book now! WE ARE!

Room Tip: Try to get a room away from the entertainment area as it is quiet noisy until around 2300 if you hav...
7 Thank Sara F
Hello,Big daddy here!

We are glad to hear you enjoyed the entertainment program and Kids Club,it´s important to us to have a program that involves the big kids as well as the little kids.

scottish borders
Reviewed June 14, 2014

Visited the Orquedia from the 2nd to the 9th June with my son daughter in law and grandchildren, what a fabulous family holiday resort this is. All staff went out their way to make your vacation as pleasurable as possible and more,Also all food was beautifully cooked and presented. The only grievance I have would have main buffet female staff could not care less.an example a glass was broken by child at another table, parent tried to tidy up glass, we made waitresses aware who could not care less and never gave any help thus meaning glass lay on floor with other kids moving about unaware of the danger, come on guys health and safety!!!!!!Also plates lay for an unacceptable time without being cleared. Anyway I would say the star of Orquidea has to be Lisa Lollypop, what a girl,along with other entertainment staff who all work very hard and long hours to entertain everyone.

2 Thank galaleans

#2 of 68 in Puerto Rico
Sunsuites Carolina
Sunsuites Carolina
#8 of 19 in San Agustin

Been to TUI Family Life Orquidea? Share your experiences!