“Excellent Family Holiday”

TUI Family Life Orquidea
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Bahia Feliz
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed June 27, 2013

The hotel is lovely,food - such a selection for breakfast lunch and dinner as well as all day snacks you are really spoilt for choice. Rooms spacious views breathtaking.
The Thompson staff excell themselves in everything they do It was my birthday whilst I was here and my husband forgot to get me a card, he mentioned this to one of the reps called Sam and Sam went out in his own time to search for a card so I wouldn't be disappointed (I didn't find this out till the day of my birthday).
We went to a local bar in the complex (not in the all inclusive)called Frankies and another of the staff Big Daddy was there and he bought me a bottle of champagne wich was lovely. We also had a few very reasonably priced cocktails.
The shows were amazing and the reps unreal Silly Milly has this energy that is unreal always smiling and dancing as does Rossy Essex. The kids clubs are fantastic and the pools are spacious with life guards at all times during play hours

Room Tip: The rooms above the dining area are quieter than those above the pool

Reviewed June 27, 2013

God it's awful. Look at my other reviews .. I am not a cereal complainer..quite the opposite.
The room was poor to average. Big old fashioned tv non child friendly steps up to the bedroom very loud disco going on till midnight ish shower was out of the 70's.
The food was reminiscent of a butlins it was grim ALL the booze is so watered down it was criminal. If you go ask for a brandy. It's 20% brandy 70% water !! Most of the holidaymakers are tattooed from head to toe. The outside is not nice. All nackered crazy golf well past it's sell by sheer cliffs not panelled off. beach is terrible. It was so bad we upgraded after the second day to Princess Tabaiba which I will also review (5* fantastic)
Please don't do it it's bloody horrible.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
9  Thank Jon R
Reviewed June 26, 2013

Booked all through Thompson this Tim rathe than an Internet site. Paid a little more but was Worth every penny. No faults from the minute we left Cardiff to the min we got home.
Hotel is situated across the road from a few shops, restaurants and arcade. Enough for me my hubby and my 2 year old.
Rooms are a great size, well kept, and the maid(who my daughter thought was the Easter bunny) would leave chocolates three times aWeek to us. The rooms have three steps in the middle, which was no problem of m daughter, but with a child starting to toddler I would probably of asked for a room with no steps.
Food was fabulous. Also something for everyone. Special meat/fish on the carvery station every night and two sections of live cooking as well. Plenty of choice. Tasty and Hot.
The best All inc food out of the 5 All inc hotels ive stayed in.
On the entertainment's team you could no grumble either. Silly Milly an rossey Essex are the star of the shows. They work so hard day an night, and made our holiday one to remember.
We did the pirate ship excursion. Was a little anxious at first taking my extremely busy 2 year old f a ship, but again that was all very fun.
One thing I will say but this was not down to the hotel, was the WIND. We went 3rd June. Was ver windy, but was warm, so th breeze was nice, but yo mud be careful, as people bun when there's a breeze.
Anyone who can moan bout this place I don't know? We had an awesome time and the hotel was just been rated No1 Thomson family hotel in the world, rated by guests :)

Room Tip: Rooms have steps. Request a different room with baby's starting to walk. Higher the room, better...
2  Thank Junior1977
Reviewed June 25, 2013

My wife, daughter (20 months) and I visited the hotel in June 2013 for a 10 day family holiday and although it was a package trip this review is for just the hotel. And will start with:

Rooms - At first we were issued a standard family on the 5th floor, good size, very clean looking, great view and HUGE beds...BUT right in the middle of the room was 4 large steps leading into the lounge and balcony area, and for a VERY active little girl this was a hospital trip waiting to happen. 1 quick trip down to reception and a 4-5 min chat and we were given the opportunity to look at a different room on the 10th floor, as soon as we walked in we could see that this room was slightly larger and there was no base jumping opportunities from our daughter.. Job done... Within 10 mins all of our luggage and the cot bed had been moved and as it was close to 1am time to sleep.. As im normally use to about a foot of bed space at home it was a very nice change to have to almost get a taxi to visit my wife on the other side of the bed. Nearly all rooms face to the sea so the view was just as impressive, bathroom was clean, shower could do with a upgrade but it was working and i wasn't in the Hilton so again good enough. TV worked with BBC 1 and 2, 1 kids channel and with a 14 euro's per week upgrade all European TV channels were available, (superior rooms had this as standard along with some other little touches, but there were none available when we booked). Towels were changed when we needed but we did need to ask for a few more. Fridge worked well, hair dryer ok (although misses used her own) Remember to take a old credit card style card (bingo, bus etc) to put into the electric switch thing as the air con will not work while your out with the room key normally used to operate power. Storage is good with plenty of hangers and plenty of mirrors worked for both girls to stand in as often as possible..lol.

Food n drink - 1 large restaurant doing the normal buffet style food which I have to say was some of the best food we have ever had as an All Inclusive deal, After the 7th-8th day food did seem to get a bit repetitive but for me (a meat and veg bloke) it was great, full English, fruit, for brekki, lunch was always just a snack but there were burgers, hot dogs, chips, fruit, toasties etc. available, Dinner was another large buffet with the added Carvery section which was always a huge lump of meat just plainly roasted and ready to be hacked to death.. ohh and pasta, casseroles, local offerings etc. All in all a great place to eat and drink as all inclusive drinks were self service inc the beer pump. :-) ice pops and ice creams are also available for most of the day. There are another 2 restaurants doing local and posher food at a reduced rate for Ai but we never bothered, didn't need to.

Resort - Large, and plenty to do for a 3+ child, babies and active toddlers fell short of the (your to young to bother with problem). 3 good size pools starting from a small kids pool to a medium depth kids pool and a finally a deep adult pool, which get very busy, very early.. 7am seemed to be the TOWEL squad's fav time to save the best beds and play the dodge the towel moving security guard game every morning much to my entertainment..lol. a couple of playgrounds 1 large and 1 small (which again quickly got overrun by teens climbing and jumping all over the place). and its difficult asking kids in 3-4 languages to stop. especially when there parents are no where to be seen and probably enjoying the beer pump without much care!! Its on the beach (black sand) and the sea can be rough most of the time but still sand castles are sand castles whatever the colour.

Entertainment - OHHHH dear, the hotel has been overrun by Thomson and they control the trips, dinning lists, welcome and farewell's, pool activities, day and evening entertainment. Thomson the Dog turns up once or twice a day wonders around then is gone. 8pm-8:30pm (ish) is when the night entertainment starts, an hour after baby's normal bedtime but she's on holiday so we wait, pure madness follows The team are dynamos and the kids love there passion and energy, sadly our 20 month really was out of place here and almost must of felt she was in a heavy metal mosh pit.. On the 3rd night we stumbled across the Hotels German entertainment group on the other side of the resort and wow, bang on 8pm start, baby to adult entertainment, To start "Charlie and coco" work, as eh! eh! ohhh! eh arehhhh!! works just as well in English as in German, followed by some singing, (head, shoulders, knees and toes) again works in all languages.. Then some English sung Adult entertainment which followed the Glee style of shows, With power ballads, hits of the 80's etc etc. A great find. 10pm ish finish and its off to the room to listen to the unbelievably, obscenely ridiculously loud English party still going on until 11:20 ish. We were on the 10th floor and it was unbearable at times, and after speaking to allot of other guest can only feel more sorry for the lower levels who were closer to the din. now im not an old fuddy dud, or a victor and understand its all just fun and games for the late nighters but seriously do you need to let the other side of the island here your voice???

As a hole the holiday was great, hotel great, food and drink great and i would go back, I would maybe think about getting one of the room further away from the main resort, or wait till baby's a couple more years older. So ask for floor 10 if you have active toddlers, get up early for a pool bed, Dont plan on sleeping much before 11:30 and have a blast.

Room Tip: Floor 10 has no steps or a north facing room will be quite but no view.
2  Thank boy-done-good
Reviewed June 25, 2013

I have just returned from a week's holiday today from Hotel Orquidea in Bahia Feliz, Gran Canaria, The holiday was all inclusive for myself, my partner and our 2.5 year old daughter. Hotel clean, welcoming and spacious. It is a busy hotel but in the main everybody respectful of other guests. 3 big pools which were an ok temperature, lots of sunbeds, if you want to sit round poolside it cant get very busy and packed however lots of sunbeds literally 5 seconds from the pool area by the grass which is slightly more spacious and quiet but still good for sunbathing etc.

Junior suite was a good size and cleaned daily to a good standard.

Food in buffet restaurants was excellent good selection and clean unlike previous all inclusive elsewhere I have been too.

Went to the spa for some adult time whilst my partner had our daughter for a couple of hours - worth the visit is 9 euros a visit for however long and I had a treatment too which was v good and extra at 28 euros but worth a holiday treat for busy mums - recommended.

Lots of activities throughout the day and the entertainment staff outstanding particularly Rossy Essex who really made us laugh such a natural in the role and Silly Millie a true professional too - my daughter loved seeing them everyday and their T-time live sessions every evening.

Not much to do outside the hotel tbh unless you get taxi or bus somewhere - we did go to Aqualand by taxi one day which was 11 euros there and 11 euros back - the hotel told us 25 euros there and 25 back so clearly they want you to book the waterpark trip via Thompson excursion - either way a great day out and well worth it.

Overall hotel is good 3-4 star rated hotel with lots to do - can get v busy so if you are looking for peace and quiet majority of the time this isn't the hotel for you however if you want a fun filled holiday for the family with a good balance of adult and kids activities/entertainment this is the one for you.

Reviewed June 23, 2013 via mobile

We have just returned from our holiday at the Hotel Orquidea and we are going on the Internet tomorrow to book our next holiday there. I'm not going to write an essay but I feel the need to say that having read some of the reviews that have rated badly, I can only say to the writers of those reviews that you have either been stopping in a different hotel to us or you must be used to 5 star, silver spoon service. However, I suppose everyone's entitled to their own opinion. Here's ours:

Room: Clean and spacious. The rooms were cleaned daily and fresh towels and sheets were provided whenever we wanted them. The view from our balcony on the 7th floor was stunning. All floors are well serviced by 3 lifts. The only slight critism I have is the 3 steps in the room (every room is split-level) are not ideal if you have children of crawling / toddling age and the adults bed was two singles pushed together, other than that, fantastic.

Food: I am quite a fussy eater and I manged to find something different to eat every day and night. There are a number of restaurants on site and a fantasic snack bar. Yes, a lot of the food is the same but there are also different specialities on too. There is something for everyone, even down to the kids having their own food bar to choose from.

Pool area: Three pools, all clean. Plenty of sunbeds to go around.

Entertainment: I cannot speak highly enough of the entertainments team at the Orquidea especially Rossy Essex, Silly Millie and Aston Powers whose energy levels and enthusiasm were astounding. Our son is 3 and he couldn't wait to see them every day. However they didn't stop at entertaining the kids. Everybody was made to feel part of the activities and nothing was too much trouble for the reps.
In addition to those 3, the whole team led by Big Daddy was superb. Danni, Sam and everyone else helped make our holiday fantastic.

In closing I'd say if you want 5 star accommodation and peace and quiet then this isn't for you. If you want a family holiday with something for everybody to do where you will be well looked after and entertained then the Orquidea is to the place to go.

• Stayed: June 2013
2  Thank Mike W
Reviewed June 23, 2013 via mobile

No complaints

We have just returned from a week at hotel orquieda myself, partner an sons 5 & 17 months. The hotel is definitely a family hotel an caters for children brilliantly. The hotel staff, cleaners, bar, receptionists an all others work extremely hard and are always happy and eager too make a fuss over the children. Our room was cleaned every day and towels an bed sheets replaced as much as we wanted. We stayed on floor 5 which had a great view, we were a little concerned about the room being split level an worried about our youngest with the step however we knew this before we came an were able too try an block it off.
Food- unless you wished too eat after 10pm you could never complain there was always a good selection an our boys enjoyed the kids food bar, we ate out at the tavern one night an it was a nice change too have tapas.
Thompson - all Thompson staff were great, I can't name exact names but we never came across any who were not helpful. Our youngest went into 2 morning crèche sessions an the girls were lovely, felt confident that he would be looked after an happy. Out oldest went too kids club 3 times an really enjoyed it.there was activities through the day if people wished too join in but nobody was approached or pushed into it if they didn't wish too. The entertainment of a night was great, I've never seen a team work so hard and again nothing was pushed on you, great too watch and this finished around 11pm from our room you could hear it but the children was so tired by this point nothing was going to keep them awake!
The hotel is situated a little out but was nicely placed on a pebble beach with a small sand beach too, the pool is noisy with kids running around but there is plenty of sunbeds past the pool facing onto the sea if you wished for somewhere quieter to relax. Yes sunbeds in specific locations are taken before 10am but I've never been to a hotel where this wasn't the case!
We visited maspolomas beach one day an it was heaven, gorgeous beach only €7 for 2 sunbeds an a brolly for the day.
We also visited palmitos park which we expected too take up half a day having visited years ago but it took us all day too get round and the kids loved it, the shows were great an could get very close too all animals, the dolphins were great! Not overpriced either cost is €110 for the day including bus there and taxi back.
Flights were ok however delayed 2 1/2 hours on the way home and did not find out until we got to the airport, considering our hotel was only 15 minutes away felt like we should of been given the option too stay at hotel and go to the airport later.
Overall a great holiday and would recommend, weather was beautiful, slight breeze but kept the boys happy :)

• Stayed: June 2013
#2 of 68 in Puerto Rico
Sunsuites Carolina
Sunsuites Carolina
#8 of 19 in San Agustin

Been to TUI Family Life Orquidea? Share your experiences!