“3rd time in 16 months”

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Bahia Feliz
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
“3rd time in 16 months”
Reviewed June 19, 2013 via mobile

Just came back from a another lovely stay at the orquidea, room was lovely and we always have the English telly, weather was 30 every day, food was brilliant and plenty and the people are so helpful,it was busy though.the entertainment team were the best especialy big daddy :))))

• Stayed June 2013
2 Thank kirisw

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (358)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Hornchurch, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 19, 2013

We have been to the Orquidea twice in the last 8 years as a couple and loved it. This time, as it is now a family resort hotel, we went back for 2 weeks with our Son who is 3 and half.

The hotel certainly didn't disappoint and most of it has had a makeover since we had last been (none of our rooms had AC the last time we were there in 40 degree heat so that was a welcome change this year). We had a really lovely junior suite which we could not fault where our son had his own bed rather than having to sleep on a sofabed. The reception area was lovely and clean, the hotel areas had a lovely fresh smell, and you always saw how hard the cleaners work every day cleaning all the areas.

Kids pool was fantastic, our son absolutely loved it and was in it practically all day. It only came up to his waist so very safe enough that we could sit on a sunbed next to the pool and watch him. It was very good to see a lifeguard on duty all day long, and not only was he there to supervise in case of accidents, he made sure all kids were safe by stopping them from running or doing dangerous things in the pool, plus he was great with all the kids, always giving them high fives.

The food was lovely (just as we had thought it was all those years ago) but now as it is All Inclusive we got to have a taste of lunchtime meals too, which were so varied and really very nice. In the main restaurant in the evening they had lots of variety. If you were there for 2 weeks then they do repeat the evening food theme each week, but they always have so much to choose from so you always have something different to choose from. The snack bar by the pool wasn't the best, but then we stuck to the other restaurant for our lunches.

The entertainment team are great in this hotel, and always have been. They are so good, they always have so many of the guests jump up to join in, they never have to persuade anyone. Their poolside entertainment is hilarious, as well as the entertainment in the evening which is great. Yes, as someone said, if you don't ask for a quiet room if you have young kids then you do hear all the noise from the evening entertainment when in your room, but my son managed to fall asleep straight away even with the noise, so it didn't bother us.

The kids club was brilliant. Our son loved going. He didn't go every day but when he did he had a great time. He won certificates, came out with his face painted and even came out one day having decorated cookies and cakes. The kids reps are brilliant and do an amazing job. They work so hard all day long with the three aged clubs, then most nights they do a kids party for 3 hours in the evening. They are all brilliant.

Yes it was very windy at times and in our first week we had a lot of days with lots of cloud, but then you can't change the weather, you just have to make the best of your holiday.

Our son thoroughly enjoyed himself in everything we did and loved everything about his holiday.

We would definitely recommend this hotel to a family with children. We would most certainly consider returning in the future.

Room Tip: Junior suites are great for families with 1 or 2 children. They have a separate main bedroom for th...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 19, 2013

I would not normally review holidays however we had such a good time at this hotel that I thought I would put down my thoughts. The hotel itself was extremely clean and well maintained, the pool areas were excellent with plenty of sunbeds and umbrellas for all guests. We were quite concerned about going all inclusive as we had tried this before and had been extremely disappointed with the quality of the food, on this occasion the food was excellent, it was always fresh and plenty of it and there was lots of choice to suit everyone's taste. The hotel staff were welcoming and very friendly. However what made our holiday so much fun was the Thomson entertainment team located at the hotel, I cannot praise ALL of them highly enough, nothing was too much trouble for them - I do feel that I need to mention two in particular - Rossie Essex and Silly Millie - you went above and beyond as far as I am concerned - it was quite clear that all the entertainment team enjoyed their work - it definately showed. We do not usually enjoy this type of entertainment but I would have no hestitation in recommending this hotel and this team to anyone (I particularly enjoyed the pirate evening and the team -v- guests evening - you made my five year old son's holiday (particularly when he was called up on stage to receive his certificate). I would given this holiday 5 stars and wouldn't hestitate in recommending it to anyone if they want a good family experience - I would definately return in the future.

Room Tip: Higher level for better views
4 Thank Maria W
newcastle
Reviewed June 18, 2013

A fantastic family hotel. Clean, great facilities, friendly staff, beautiful setting in a quiet location of bahia feliz. The food is lovely lots of variety and catered for all dietry needs. Loved the separate kids buffet section where they can help themselves and even provide plastic cups and plates etc. Thompson reps always in the restaurant to greet you was a lovely touch. Rooms spacious and clean (split level) lovely views and would recommend a higher floor. We asked to move rooms to a slightly quieter location when we arrived at midnight and it wasn't a problem. The reception staff were more than helpful. This is a lively hotel and has the best entertainment team I have ever experienced having stayed in similar 4 star complexes. Lots of activities and in house shows to appeal to everyone. However the lobby area is also comfotable if you want a quieter evening. The entertainment team are very professional and extremly passionate, and create a personal feel with the guests I have never experienced on holiday before. I have never returned to a hotel twice as I like to try new places each time we go on holiday however I would definetly return to the orquidea.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank ahej
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 18, 2013

We've just got back off of our holiday to Hotel Orquidea in Bahia Feliz. Personally my family and I had a lovely relaxing time together in the sun.

Room Cleaners: Our room was made up, towels swapped and giving a clean every day unless we stated otherwise (do not disturb signs). The cleaner was very friendly and made the room smell fresh and look clean on a daily basis. My only negative here is the bedding was only changed because I'd stripped the beds, otherwise we'd be using the safe sheets etc for 11 nights.

Rooms: We upgraded to a sea view superior room, there was nothing superior about it. We had two twin beds that were on wheels so every time you move the bed moves everywhere. It had the thinnest mattresses that I have ever seen and was extremely uncomfortable. My sons put me up bed was very uncomfortable, you could literally feel the springs poking through. The whole room was very dull and the bathroom was awfully dated with pipes hanging off the walls, the shower had no power, the bath was very big and deep but a little discoloured and you'd get a smack in the face if you're on the toilet and someone opens the door.

The hotel Spanish staff: The reception staff were a little rude and didn't really make much time for holiday makers. However, the life guard, pool staff and restaurant were all very friendly and always smiled and made sure everyone was happy.

Pools: A couple of times there were bugs and a cockroach was found floating around the pool. The pools were freezing and very full even in the morning. The sun loungers had towels on by 7:30 each morning so you had to be quick in getting a good spot. The pool area wasn't cleaned daily unlike a previous hotel I've visited so there was fag ash etc laying around although the rubbish was cleared in bins after each day.

Location: The hotel is very isolated and has little shops and restaurants around the complex. The shop workers are very keen to get you to keep buying things but many items were tatty. You'd have to catch a bus or taxi to go to another complex to see any exciting things or to go to a decent beach. You cant really call the beach near the hotel a beach as it is covered in big stones and has very little sand area.

Thomson Entertainment team: I have to say my little one enjoyed the kids club for a couple of mornings whilst we holidayed and they sounded like the team made a thorough effort to keep the kids entertained and happy. The highlight of the team has to be Silly Millie & Rossy Essex. Oh my goodness, the energy and effort they put in to EVERY activity and dance is beyond amazing. They are fantastic with children and they make the T Time Love very exciting for the kids. They are both very friendly and will make time to speak to you, they are flipping brilliant. Big Daddy also is great, jumping in the pool dressed as various characters for Aqua Fit and Fun. His dancing is very enjoyable to say the least. Well done Rossy, Millie and Big D.

Food: The food was awful. It was literally the same stuff everyday for each meal. They had spag bol for the whole 11 nights we were there for lunch and dinner. I do not rate the food one bit. They did cater for all dietary needs, cultures etc but it was very repetitive and boring. Unfortunately, we know of around 4 couples, including children that developed food poisoning whilst here and I did too. The last thing I wanted was to become ill and have to spend the whole day and night in bed vomiting etc. Please beware to keep away from the white meat and prawns, these were the common culprit's. The doctor was called to I think everyone who had it and I eveb witnessed a call from a Thomson Rep to the doctor to ask him to call out. Of course the hotel blamed the germs in the pool...er whatever!!!

Overall, (and I could go on forever) I will definitely NOT be recommending this hotel and will never return. Although, id love to see where Millie and Rossy go next.

3 Thank Ammie9091
Wolverhampton,
Reviewed June 17, 2013

We have just returned from a week holiday at this resort. The holiday was better than I ever expected. The entertainment team was fantastic, put on some great shows, and made sure both children and adults had fun. The only problem of the holiday was that awful beattles tribute act that come on. All they done was try and sell their cds, well all I can say is they cleared the whole of the entertainment room.

The weather was beautiful but very windy up until lunchtime, it was bearable and eased the kids into the heat. With this wind I warn people not to have a bed near the kids slide area as you get absolutely soaked with cold water. You will see if you do. Also there was quite a few rude ignorant swedish families who got to us a bit especially making a spectical of themselves, going to throw buckets of water over innocent people sunbathing quietly. This was the adults.

The room was nice and accessible. Looked very clean however the floor was absolutely disgusting you needed to wash your feet everytime you stepped foot on it. The main communal areas and restaurants were spotless. The staff were very attentive to your needs. If you dropped a fork they were straight on getting you a clean one.

Food was plenty, catered for everyones taste however I would stay away from the childrens area didnt look very appetising (tuna pasty with yoghurt etc...) I would definatly stick to the carvey section.

The area outside the hotel is nice and small, found a fantastic restaurant right opposite, it is a must go to, they were very attentive and food was mouth watering. We had to move tables three times and they also remembered us when we were leaving.

Overall there was a few niggly points however both myself, partner and daughter loved every minute. We felt relaxed, found great friends and had lovely weather.

Birkenhead, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 15, 2013

Had a great stay at Hotel Orquidea. Could not find many faults. If you like to be dropped of from your transfer and never leave the complex this place is for you. However me and my partner do like to venture out and go for a walk with our daughter and see some bars, shops, etc. There are a few crappy shops and restaurants rite outside however apart from this there is nothing in walking distance. You really are stuck. This is not a fault and many of you will love this we just found it very remote and felt we did not see Gran Canaria. We asked the rep were the closest lively resort was to see some bars, shops etc. The look on her face said it all! I must of been the only person to ever of asked this I thought she was going to spit at me! ha. We were going to get a taxi on our 5th night however I inherited chicken pox from my daughter from 2 weeks previously (I never had as a child !) so I was a bit self conscious and did not want to leave the complex as I looked liked a spotty teenager who had picked his spots. (I am 30) The only saving grace I tan easy and it looked like sun burn as I was black. That is another story and I am not writing my review based on getting the pox like some people would". There are a lot of Swedish and Germans however were ever you go you will get this. The only issue Is a lot of the Swedish do not stay at the Orquidea (no wrist bands) but use the pool and take a lot of the sunbeds. Before I got the pox we went for a walk one night and came across a lovely little complex were we seen loads of people (Swedish) who had been at our pool. It must be the Orquidea's sister complex and they are allowed to use the Orquidea's pool. The rooms are cleaned every single day and they will do everything for you. Towels, Sheets, tidy mess up. Fantastic service. The food is nice and caters for both us Brits and the unusual Swedish (Cakes for breakfast??) The only negative it is the same every night apart from 1 or 2 changes. I.E they have a carving meat station that varies each night. Other than that its the same however the food is of a good quality which is great! Entertainment is fantastic, the Thomson team keep you busy all day. Aqua aerobics in the morning, Polo in the pool, volley ball, 5aside, you name it they do it! The aerobics is really fun especially when its big daddy, superman, father Christmas, or bird is the word running the session! If you have kids (just the 1 for us) Thomson have a kids club that keep the kids really busy. The entertainment of a night time is a bit repetitive (hence why we wanted to escape) but it does keep the kids busy...Oh if you are a couple with no kids DO NOT COME HERE. It really is a family resort. 4 years ago I would of hated this place however now that I am a dad with a 4yr old daughter its great. We have just returned from 1 week hols in May and the pool area is rammed. I would hate to see it in July/Aug/Sept. Overall I would give it 4 out of 5. Negatives for me, Location, night time entertainment a bit repetitive, food could vary, pool side rammed. Positives, great hotel, clean, friendly staff, good quality food, kids club, weather.

Room Tip: Pretty much all the same
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
#4 of 134 in Playa del Ingles
Tabaiba Princess
Tabaiba Princess
#51 of 216 in Maspalomas

Been to TUI Family Life Orquidea? Share your experiences!