TUI Family Life Orquidea
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Monte Feliz(Bahia Feliz)
Side Shore(Maspalomas)
  • Pool
Sun Club Aguila Playa(Playa del Ingles)
Vista Golf(Maspalomas)
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Beachfront
1,906 results
All reviewssplit levelkids clubentertainment teamthomson staffthomson familypool areael sultanevening entertainmentsnack barkids buffetgreat holidayplenty of choicechocolate fountainsummer holidaysbusy hoteltapas restaurantchildren aged
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 28, 2012

My family and I booked this hotel, slightly wary about all the negative reviews, but we'd needed not worried.
Food-
The food was lovely, yes it was a little repetitive, but what more can you ask for? We mostly ate in the snack bar at lunch time, and in the main restaurant for breakfast and dinner. There was plenty of drinks on offer, alcohol such as beer to help yourself, alcoholic cocktails, and lots of soft drinks.
Entertainment-
The reps work their socks off to make everyone happy! The daytime activities were great and there was something for everyone to do, like water aerobics and quizzes. Genuinely enjoyed!
Room and service-
The reception staff were very helpful as one member of our party became ill during our stay, and equipped us with towels etc. The room was lovely, but the mattresses were a little thin, but we weren't complaining.
Overall, a very pleasant holiday, and we may be visiting again soon!

Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
7  Thank Chloe K
Reviewed October 19, 2012

My family and I booked this hotel for the beginning of October. We were looking for a family friendly hotel that would be enjoyable for my children and also a pleasant relaxing break for my partner and I and my parents. This seemed to be what we were looking for. As my mum booked the holiday I started to check trip advisor, I found lots of bad reviews but the more recent reviews seemed a lot more positive so it kind of put my mind to rest and after all it was a Thompson 4* so it wouldn't be that bad. Oh how WRONG was I!!! I really wouldn't know where to start, we were put on the 11th floor and when we got out of the scruffy lift we had to go though the smelly corridor, though some big fire doors to get to our so called superior family room. The place was vile!! The bathroom was horrible, dirty and covered in hairs!! The cot that my baby was supposed to sleep in was just awful, literally there was no way my son was sleeping in that! The walls were dirty, furniture was broken and to top it off our mattress was covered in orange stains!!! I'm writing this review for people like me who thought they were going somewhere pleasant and clean to relax and enjoy with all the family. On the positive side we had a wonderful rep who moved us to a wonderful hotel the next morning and from then on we had a fab holiday!!!!

• Stayed: October 2012
9  Thank Gossica23
Reviewed October 16, 2012

first of all want to say a huge thank you to all the staff at hotel from reception, cleaners, bar staff and all the reps you all made our holiday on arrival we had a quick easy transfer and check in we had a family room it was huge very clean and tidy plenty of room 2 big wardrobes plenty of room for all 5 of us to put our clothes in big shower room with two sinks one was lowered for the children which was ideal. Big living area with a settee that pulled out into a bed another separate section with two single beds, then a separate bedroom with a king size bed and a balcony back to the living area there was three small steps that led to a bigger balcony with fantastic views we were on the 6th floor and never heard much noise our room was cleaned every day. There are three pools at the hotel enough sunbeds for everyone twice over there are bins situated around the pool area for rubbish there is also a life guard on daily and he is brilliant making sure everyone is safe there is also a large lawned area just a stones throw away from pool if you prefer a bit quiet time, All inclusive is until 12pm which for us is a first the food was nice plenty of variety and again a smaller lowerd section for children we never went hungry a good selection the grounds and hotel were always immaculate before we went id read reviews and also went on oh happy bay the group on fb and people were saying weve been going for 4,5,6 etc years and to be honest i thought oh live a little i now know why we are most defiantly going back next year although we are a family id say the hotel is great for couples just bear in mind before you book it does say family hotel so just dont understand the moaners about the amount of kids etc it wasnt full of roudy unruly kids just family's trying to enjoy there well earned holiday all the kids were all well behaved and doing what they should and just been kids. we had a day on the beach yes there is sand lol the sea is a bit dodgy so would recommend going in with your kids the weather was fab we went 1st oct for 14 nights kids club was really good too. Entertainment was fantastic big daddy is a legend thanks again

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Gemma S
Reviewed October 16, 2012

I stayed at the Orquidea with my 7 year old son from Monday 8th - Monday 15th October 2012. We arrived at lunchtime after a very short airport transfer and a very quick and friendly check-in. We stayed in room 227 which overlooked the reception area bar and pool tables and was opposite the main entertainment bar (Fata Morgana). The room was spacious, bright and kept very clean by the maids. The tiled floors in the room look like they would be slippy but they really are not. Balcony is a good size with a table and two chairs, great for chilling out while my son was away to the kids club.
Food - You could spend all day eating if you wanted to, the food is fantastic. Great selection always fresh. Breakfast from 7.30-10am in main buffet restaurant which did get busy at meal times but you could still be in, fed and out within half an hour if you were in a hurry. Breakfast choices of full English, oatmeal, fresh fruit, yogurts, toast, rolls, croissants, hams, cheeses, waffles, pancakes, omelettes cooked to order, etc. Lunch you have a choice of either Los Nidos buffet restaurant from 12-3 ish (we only went in here once) you can sit outside but there are a lot of flies annoying you so indoors is better! We opted for lunch in Fata Morgana every other day. There were snacks available in here from 10am until late afternoon including breads, cheeses, hams to make sandwiches and paninis, hot dogs, burgers with all the toppings you could want, pasta, curry, chilli, chips, calamari, baked potatoes, fresh salads, fresh fruit, etc. Also available in Fata Morgana were ice cream tubs and ice poles, this is also where you get all your drinks when at the pool. It can get a bit slippery with all the people going in with wet feet but other than that it's great. The Thomson reps do a daily quiz in here too which is good fun. Drinks you can help yourself to included Tropical beer, wine, fizzy juices (Pepsi, 7Up, etc), non-alcoholic frozen cocktails, fresh fruit juice, water. Any spirits are served to you by the very friendly bar staff.
Dinner is served in the main buffet restaurant (if you're still able to eat after having a 'snack' in Fata Morgana!). We went down at 6pm a couple of nights and it wasn't too busy, even when we went later on and it was busy we never struggled to get a table or to get our food. Again the selection of food is fantastic, they have a lowered buffet area for kids (also at breakfast) with pastas, salads, smiley potato faces, fish fingers, etc. flavoured milks and cookies for the kids to help themselves too. For the adults there is plenty to choose from, you'd have to be incredibly fussy to not find something you like here. At least two different types of fish, several meat dishes, rice dish every day (in a paella pan I had this every day as they were all delicious), soups, vegetables, different types of potato, cheeses, salads, mussels, salmon, every day Raul would be cooking something on the island in the middle (moules mariniere, roast chicken, roast beef, rack of lamb, etc.) which he would serve to you, breads, desserts to die for plus cheese, biscuits, fruits, chocolate fountain every night. Beautiful!
Entertainment - I have never seen a team of reps become so attached to the holidaymakers. The Thomson team were amazing! Every day they are round the pool doing the aquafit, getting people involved in there daily water polo match, darts comps, pool comps, beach volleyball, etc. but never forcing anyone into anything, also once they meet you they remember your name! After them being busy with all the daily entertainment program they are on stage from 8pm for the kids entertainment getting all the kids on the dance floor, doing dances with them, playing games and of course bringing out Thomson the Dog. I do not know where the reps got their energy from but they never faltered they were full on happy and helpful the whole time, in particular Jenny Bean was outstanding in her role in both kids and adults entertainment but couldn't fault anyone on the team. Our last night of our holiday was also the last night for the Thomson reps as it was the end of their summer season so we had the pleasure of watching their end of season show. I don't know where they found the time to rehearse for this but they were marvellous! It was absolutely brilliant!
Kids club - my son is 7yrs old and he went to pretty much every kids club session he could as he loved it! He had a brilliant time playing at being a spy ( they cut eyeholes in newspapers and followed some dodgy looking character around the hotel gardens), arts, water fights, movie nights. Kids club overseen by Bonkers Bex, Nutty Nicky and Snazzy Sarah, again, all utterly fantastic and remembered all the kids names.
Pools were great however the tiles around the pools are VERY SLIPPERY, dangerously so, this is the only complaint I have about the whole place. My son actually slipped and battered his head off the tiles, he was screaming in pain and had the biggest lump I have ever seen on a head! But the lifeguard, pool attendant and about 4 Thomson reps were straight over getting ice, fetching calpol, helping my son and keeping me from having a breakdown!
The hotel is very nice with lovely staff, fantastic food and an amazing team of Thomson reps. I am already looking into going back again next year!

Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Carla B
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Once again visited the Orquidea and we were not disappointed.Despite being the last full week of the Thomson entertainment team's summer season, they gave their all. Aqua Aerobics is always a highlight with Big Daddy once again taking this activity to a new high!The great thing about this hotel is that fact that the daily entertainment is physically at the heart of the pool complex allow all to participate if they wish or merely to look on and enjoy others participating. Equally there are adequate quiet areas around the pool for others who do not whether this is down on the beech, on the volleyball court, on the lower ocean facing terraces on in the new Spa.

Food was once again of a very good quality with a selection that should satisfy almost any
palate. Roasts of varying types were available each evening and lunches were no less appetising.

The Spa was a new experience for me but proved to be very pleasant for occasional use or to enjoy as I did a couple of massage therapies.

Staff at the hotel are very helpful and efficient and the hotel is kept immaculate by a team of cleaners who seldom allow debris to accumulate for any length of time.

If you want value for money and family entertainment this has to be considered as an option. Curiously a good 20% of the guests were present without family as they regard it also as a suitable hotel for couples of all ages.

Any revues that suggest standards that are at odds with what I have stated above have either been very unlucky, or have expectations that will only be met by paying a much higher price.

I will be back and would recommend this hotel to any family or couple.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family