“Luabay Marivent La Cala Hotels”

Be Live Adults Only Marivent
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Cala Major
Reviewed June 23, 2012

Thank you to Alex the Thomson Rep from the above hotels.
Lisa and Ken Davies stayed at the La Cala hotel from the 16th june to the 23rd. We had a Fantastic Holiday at this hotel, which Alex made possible. Keep up the Good Work, sorry we did not see you on our day of departure. Both hotels are in an excellant location for Palma and surrounding area. See La Cala for full review on Tripadvisor.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank tripsy_11
Write a ReviewReviews (1,186)

Reviewed June 22, 2012

When we arrived we were surpirsed hotels locotion is right on the beach yes there is along walk from where the coach drops you off and yes it looks like a poor area of Majorca. There were issues in getting our room and we did have a long wait in the sun, but we were able to use all the facilities this was frustrating, Hotel need to have a better system at allocating rooms. Room was lovely we has a sea view beds were comfy. Hotel staff work hard and are very friendly. The food was excellent although we would say it needs to be labled clearley so you know what you are eating! The entertainment staff work hard and are polite and friendly and do not make you feel like you have to join in with them. We would stay in this hotel again value for money was excellent

Room Tip: Rooms on the front of the hotel some have a sea view others dont ask for one on the side or the back...
5  Thank moonbeem
Management response:Responded July 10, 2012

We would like to thank you for this review and are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. Your feedback is very much appreciated and we will look into the mentioned issues like the check-in procedures and food labeling. We hope we will be able to welcome you as our guests again.

Reviewed June 21, 2012

When I arrived at this hotel I was pleasantly surprised its spot on he beach is perfect and the views are amazing, but it is let down by the outside area. I was in this area 12yrs ago and you can see its been hit hard by the Spanish economy lots of shops and restaurants closed down, so when you are dropped off in the middle of town havin been given no info by the Thomson airport staff what to do when you get off the coach I can see why some people are initially disappointed and confused,
We got to the hotel first with about 20 people behind me, I had emailed the hotel to see if our room could be ready early but they had not replied so was not surprised when I was told it would be 3pm I had already been warned of this so had left my cosi and hubby's shorts at the top of my suitcase just in case, we were offered a glass of cava and given our wristbands we did a quick recky of the hotel and went and sat on the terrace, time passed quickly and before we knew it time for lunch,some people were complaining about not getting there rooms As it had never happen to them before and we did look like a bunch of refugees for a couple of hours, when we finally did get our room we had upgraded to a superior double with a full sea view at a cost of over £200 extra I was more than happy it was all brand new , with large flat screen telly and a fridge we were supposed to have tea and coffee making facilities but none were evident I mentioned it to Alex the Thomson rep and within 48hrs we had it ( more about Alex later).
We had caught the 1 penny a day all inclusive upgrade and were more than happy with the standard of drinks (all branded) cocktails, cava , wine, snacks in the afternoon if you missed lunch.
The restaurant was lovely we always ate a bit later to avoid any queuing and always managed to get a table outside on the terrace overlooking the sea, I personally loved the food here having just got my loss of 3stone award from slimming world since Xmas it was great to be able to have fantastic salads with fish chicken beef pork cooked to order, I get what they are trying to do here the show cooking is something a bit different, and for me a week off cooking was just what the doctor ordered, there was some funny bits like sprouts at breakfast but it just made me giggle did the Germans really eat them I'm not sure, us Brits ate not very patient and I witnessed one British lady snapping her fingers at the chef shouting no chips left come on! Made me very ashamed to be British I apologised for her to the chef who was lovely and he said hello to me every day after that.
The restaurant and bar staff are lovely and work very hard they are run off there feet and yes sometimes at the bar I waited a couple of minutes to get a drink but hey I was in no rush and a smile and a hello in Spanish usually gets a good response .
The sunbed situation at this hotel is very unusual there are not enough beds but then there never are and there is Hugh beach on your door step, we never got a pool bed because you had to bee up at 7am and stay on your bed till 9am till the security guy left or he would remove your towel so no reserving which I totally get but no way am I going on my hols to get up at that time in the morn,
I did watch this some mornings from my balcony it was hilarious but sad at the same time, we always paid for a bed on the beach 15 euros a day , it had gone up from 9 euros the week before

when the beach people realised that they could extract more from us as there were not enough
beds at the hotel bit mean but I have paid more that that in Ibiza, and we prefer swimming in the

sea, it was only 1 min walk to get our drinks from the pool bar, I was very disappointed to learn that the beach bar which was included in the wording of the brochure I booked from had now been withdrawn and was excluded from the all inclusive, it had a really good vibe and played some good music we did however manage to hook up to there wifi which in the hotel you had to pay daily for.
Do not leave your bags unattended on the beach it's not private but public and a lovely couple we met has there bag stolen and to go into Palma nova to report the crime also had to pay 100 euros for a translator (whatever just another way of extracting money from the tourist)
We met some lovely people on this trip but not all were happy, 2 couples arrived on he same flight as us were not given the rooms they booked(sea view) and were put in rooms looking over the back road there are only a few of them but they are awful and the thomson and hotel staff live in most of them, thy only got the rooms they paid for after 3 days of living out of a suitcase and ruining there 40th wedding anniversary they were lovely people and my opinion was they didn't kick up enough of a fuss, cos I would have just refused to go to he room an they would have to have found somthing else for them then I met people who had not paid for a sea view and had got one so somthing going very wrong somewhere.
Alex the rep is a really nice guy but this is his first season as a holiday rep and they have given him a real challenge in my opinion, he is learning every day but not all issues are being resolved and when the customer service scores come back I hope he's not too disappointed cos the jobs rewarding but never easy I know from my days as a holiday rep.
As the all inclusive has now been withdrawn from this hotel and you can only book half board or bed an breakfast it maybe the area will recover from the tourists visiting these 3 luabay hotels, the bus stop is at the top of he road an will take you into Palma or Palma nova in a matter of minutes
For a couple of euros and the new aquarium is fab, book it with Alex cos believed or not it's actually cheaper than doing it yourselves
To sum up we really enjoyed our holiday and would probably come back if I got a good deal again,
Would I recommend it to my clients? Yes if they could sort out the room situation but they need to do it and fast
Any way back to work tomorrow trying to find my clients there perfect holiday
X

Ps the hotel does provide lovely beach towels for a refundable 15 euros eac so don't bother taking your own

Room Tip: Book a superior room sea view low floor
7  Thank LancashireTravelbuff
Reviewed June 20, 2012

We spent a week at the Luabay Marivent returning 19th June. There was quite a walk to the hotel from the coach drop off point to reception and with hand luggage and 2 x 20 kgs suitcases older or more infirm couples could have struggled. The refurbished hotel looks new and very clean but you can see evidence of wooden patch work on the marble steps down to the buffet dining area.
The reception area was a shambles for having booked an early flight to get unpacked and settled for the afternoon we were told that the room was not ready and come back at 3pm! This was very disappointing as the day was wasted sitting in the shade in our travelling clothes with our hand luggage. This is very poor as all it needed was some careful planning of the housekeeping to get earlier access to the rooms like all other hotels that we have stayed at have achieved. At 3 pm there was a large queue at reception caused by people trying to get their room in the first place and then to gain access to their rooms as many of the microchip keys given out were apparently not functioning. Our turn came and the Reception Manager started to deal with us and then went into the back office and did not return. Another receptionist took over and we got the key to our room. Having booked and paid for a sea view room we were angry to be allocated one with a brick wall view. Back to the reception queue to be told by the reception manager, who had now reappeared, that we could have a room with a sea view tomorrow. This option we refused and eventually we were given another room. On entering this new room we found it occupied by a young couple who of course were not at all happy at the intrusion. Back to reception to eventually be given a key to a room with partial sea view and no incumbent occupants. By this time it was 4.45 pm (a total of over two hours checking in)!
The Thomson rep Alex and the event coordinator Natalie were very good. The level of entertainment was very good and by & large enjoyable. The staff at the hotel were pleasant and friendly and we had good service at most times.
The bedroom was adequate although the TV reception kept breaking up. The pool side area is small and there are not enough sun beds to go around. You have to get on your sun beds very early in the morning and stay there until gone 9 am or your towels will be removed. The view of the beach and sea from the pool area is fantastic. The sun beds with umbrella on the beach are 15 euros per day for two. The food was a typical buffet with limited, unvaried choices and some strange items – sprouts for breakfast. Sometimes you had to wait as the buffet area was rather small for a lot of people at one time. The location lets the hotel down as the local area is scruffy and has very limited shops. The hotel is not 4 star.

3  Thank Bejay3011
Management response:Responded July 10, 2012

Dear Brian, thank you very much for your review. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay overall and would like to apologize for the inconveniences during check-in and for the long waiting time. Furthermore, your feedback concerning the pool area and food selection will be forwarded to the respective departments. We appreciate that you help us improve and would be delighted to welcome you as our guests again in the future.

Reviewed June 20, 2012

We have been on several Gold and Couples holidays and this one is not up to the same standard. Firstly Thomsons seem to be cutting costs by reducing reps on the coaches and airport. After nearly an hour waiting for our luggage ( this airport is very busy ) we were directed to a coach, After approx 10 mins a rep got on and when asked, abruptly advised that we were waiting for more passengers from another flight. ... we made it clear that we were not happy with this ( 6 others on coach) to no avail... she returned 5 mins later and said that there would be a change of plan and that we would be leaving !! Thankfully.
As others have pointed out we were left stranded with our luggage at the bus stop. Whilst we were able to get to the hotel without problem ( although we would have preferred not to have to drag ourselves and luggage through the streets ) I would be very concerned for people less mobile than ourselves. Thomsons should make this clear on their website/brochure or ensure that all transfers here are by minibus. We paid for a taxi on our return journey ( 27 euros ) rather than have a repeat performance and wait 30 minutes on the streets.
As many others have pointed out rooms are not allocated until 3pm. Every day we watched disgruntled people arrive and find that they had to wait for an unacceptable length of time,
There is no reason why with some organisation and adequate numbers of cleaning staff that some rooms could be made available much earlier. As previously pointed out there are numerous early flights out, so with some co ordination a much better service to guests could be provided.
I agree... the staff are very friendly and work extremely hard, there is just not enough of them.. anywhere. We tended to eat late ( 2pm lunch and 8.30 for dinner ) as this avoided the very busy times and waits for food . Agreed the food is nice (occasionally) not very warm but certainly not the best Ive had in 4 star hotels .
Enough said about the lack of sunbeds and I would add outdoor tables. We spent the majority of our time at the La Cala. Much more pleasant and peaceful. They will serve drinks to you at any time so we spent some evenings there too... you are able to watch entertainment at any of the Luabay Hotels which is a big plus... note you can not use your wrist band at the Palma.
Rooms with sea view are great .. loved being right on the beach listening to the waves at night Brilliant air con through out the hotel.We did enjoy our holiday despite the above but would not go back to this hotel

Room Tip: Upgrade to a superior sea view room if you can
2  Thank smiff99
Management response:Responded July 10, 2012

Dear Mickey, we would like to thank you very much for taking the time to write this review. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and apologize for the long waiting time during check-in. Your feedback concerning check-in, the food selection and the pool area is very much appreciated and will be forwarded to the respective departments. We would be delighted to welcome you as our guest again.

Reviewed June 19, 2012

We returned from the Marivent, after our 2 week stay, on the 18th June. Yes there are teething troubles, finishing touches to be added, but don't let that spoil your holiday.The main grumble is definitely the lack of sunbeds, and the lack of proper information. Whilst we were there, the Luabay Hotel Group had a relaunch party. The guests at the hotel were expected to join in - nobody told us ! We were asked to finish our evening meals by 8.30pm that night, as the Staff were needed at the party. We were compensated with a complimentary cocktail at the sister hotel, and some guests felt they were being "pushed out", however, our Rep Alex said that the Guests were welcome to join in the fun, but nobody told us ! The Firework Display which ended the evening, was fantastic - a free spectacular on the beach.The Beach is great, but very busy at weekends as it is so close to Palma. One guest had her bag snatched - be vigilant with your belongings.
ENJOY, we did !

Room Tip: High floors avoid the noise from guests above, however you may have to wait for the lifts. A sea vi...
5  Thank angel892
Reviewed June 18, 2012

We stayed at the Luabay Marivent between the 10th and 17th of June on a bed and breakfast basis and would not hesitate to choose this hotel chain again.

The hotel has recently been refurbished to a good standard with spacious rooms, comfortable beds, brilliant power shower and chic modern decor. The majority of the staff were polite and helpful with a special mention to Esther on the receptionist desk.

On the negative side, the hotel is in an area called Cala Major, just outside Palma, (10 to 15 minutes away on the local bus). Cala Major is a little run down and we did struggle in the evenings to find decent restaurants to eat at but my advise to anyone staying here is to hire a car and then you can drive up the coast to Illettes, Portal Nous or even Palma itself.

There is a great beach right next to the hotel so if just fancy spending a few days chilling in the sun you won't be dissapointed!!

1  Thank Livetotravel1977
#28 of 74 in Palma de Mallorca
Iberostar Playa de Palma
Iberostar Playa de Palma
#1 of 78 in Playa de Palma

Been to Be Live Adults Only Marivent? Share your experiences!