Giritale Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Deer Park Hotel(Polonnaruwa)
The Lake Hotel(Polonnaruwa)
  • Pool
Hotel Sudu Araliya(Polonnaruwa)
View Hotel
All reviewsgiritale tanksri lankahotel is locatedswimming poolbuffet stylelovely hotelhotel staffcomfortable staylobby areaexcellent viewroom was clean and comfortablebuffet dinnerone night stayshort staykaudulla national parktwo nightswild elephants
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 24, 2012

ok, the rooms are a bit dated, but the atmosphere is welcoming and the view from the balcony is superb (we even spotted elephants across the lake!).
The staff is extremely friendly (and not just 'professionally' friendly).
The quality and the diversity of the food on offer depends on the number of guests staying, I think: the more the merrier... (we had one dinner with leftovers from the buffet of the day before, at the same price of the exquisite dinner we had upon arriving).
all in all I can really recommend the Giritale Hotel (and I was told that it offers a far better view than the more luxurious hotels in the same street)

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 16, 2012

Beautiful & relaxe location. Great Hospitality, Lots selection of food. What else you expect.
I had fantastic time with my family. Children love the place and wants to go back when we will visit Sri-Lanka again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank dilsaj
Reviewed September 10, 2012

My husband and I had stayed here 3 years ago and enjoyed the view from the balcony so much we returned with a few friends for 1 night after visiting the Silver Temple and heading for Polonnaruwa the next day. We were upgraded to a "fridge" room upstairs near the pool area. The room was a bit dated but clean and wonderful views of the lake, where we could see over 50 elephants at the far side in the late afternoon. 4 of us had the Ayurveda spa treatment and gave it a 10/10. A head massage, body massage and steam bath was carried out very professionally took approx 1 half hours; cost R4000, the best we had in Sri Lanka and left us ready for drinks & dinner. The verandah bar staff did not seem to understand our wine order so we eventually ordered other drinks enjoying the ambiance of the evening and some impromptu live music. The dinner menu was mainly buffet style, although I ordered a la carte; unfortunately 6 of the 7 of us thought the food was poor/terrible, tasteless and the service almost non existent. Don't order wine unless you want to see a comedy of errors!

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade, and one overlooking the lake
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 30, 2012

The rooms are worn down (especially the bathrooms) and offer only basic comfort. The very same goes for the pool and dining room, which has a very impersonal feel even though the staff was kind enough to place a flag of our country on our table. The food was not very great, but at least there was ample choice. Be prepared to be woken up early in the morning by very loud ... staff ? I don't know who exactly, but they were very loud, very early in the morning.

Now where to begin on the rest of my story. When we came back mid afternoon from an excursion, there was a wedding going on in the hotel, as you will experience plenty of times when staying in Sri Lanka. The men at these weddings tend to get drunk out of their skulls and starting bugging us while we were trying to have a sandwhich on the balcony. We finished our sandwhich and wanted to get some rest, away from the hustle and bustle of the wedding. Unfortunately the music started back up again and with the speakers right next to our window, there was no way to take a nap. When I inquired the manager about the music, he said it would last to 4 PM at the latest, which it did. So, unable to take a nap, we went to the pool. We tucked ourselves away in a corner, thinking to minimally interfere with the wedding guests and vice versa. Even though my girlfriend was wearing a dress over her bikini and placed my t-shirt over her chest, we were not able to shake of some 10 - 15 guys rudely staring at us (her) from the balcony. This started to agitate me and when 1 wedding guest decided to take a picture with his mobile phone I snapped and started yelling at them. I found it very unrespectful to handle us in such a way while we show the utmost respect for them and their culture (eg. taking off our shoes to walk on scorching hot floors). It was only when I snapped that the hotel staff decided to have the wedding guests stay at the party and not roam around wherever they like in the hotel. The wedding was running to its end and the drunken guests left us alone after 3 of them came to apologize.

The manager offered us a bottle of wine for our discomfort and even though it was terrible, we appreciated the gesture. He should have intervened earlier though.

Wound up about the entire debacle, I told my girlfriend I would pay for an Ayurvedic treatment in the "spa" of the hotel. We had already taken a look and my girlfriend initially didn't want to go there because it was quite ... authentic. Low ceilings, scruffy looking massage beds and basically quite uninviting. The old man managing the spa had already dropped his price to half of what he asked before (now 2500 rupees per person). I had a feeling that this ... authentic spa could just be a gem in the rough. Which it turned out to be. The people working there hardly speak english but give a great massage. Beware of the steam coffin thingie, it gets REALLY hot. In total, we got:

- head massage with oils
- steam coffin with herbal steam
- massage
- herbal sauna
- some herbal drink which went down better than I had expected

The massage was quite extensive and the entire thing lasted for a good hour and a half.

We finished the evening with a drink on the balcony, with a stunning view. If not for the bad experience, this would have just been a very basic hotel with a great view, not very recommended anyway. With the bad experience, I would recommend you to stay away.

Room Tip: take a room in the far end of the hotel so to be least disturbed by staff, passers-by, ... or don't take a room at all and go to a better hotel
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 30, 2012

Visiting friends in Sri Lanka, we spent the weekend at Giritale. The hotel is getting a little bit tired but that was made up by the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff. Our rooms were clean and comfortable. Our friend had arranged a special meal (chilli crabs) and cake to be delivered at the table on my birthday, so it was a day to remember. We had the all in package, breakfasts were good with the Sri Lankan food as well as European. Same in the evening but personally I would stick with the local fare. All in all a very enjoyable weekend. Sadly because of the drought there was very little water in the lake. Price was very reasonable too.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple