The Fortress Resort & Spa
Koggala Beach Hotel(Koggala)(Great Value!)
$51
$62
Insight Resort(Ahangama)(Great Value!)
$26
1,603 results
All reviewsocean roombose sound systemtuk tukseafood buffetsri lankajacuzzi bathindian oceaninfinity poolour honeymoonluxury hotelbaby turtlesyala national parkamazing hotelopen planday bedhuge bedwalk in shower
Reviewed December 7, 2009

From the outside, this Hotel does not look that impressive, however when you enter through the big double gates there is a very beautiful hotel inside. The view from inside with the infinity pool followed by spectacular views of the Indian Ocean is paradise. The room was first class, we were in a standard room which was a bit dark as it backed onto a small garden area with no view. That said the room was very comfortable and the bathroom different class. Staff were very attentive almost too attentive as they wouldn't let you do anything by yourself. Very friendly though and always smiling. I don't think we have ever come accross such a friendly Nation of people like the Sri Lankans. Food and drink was a bit over priced brought on more by the 10% service charge and the 15% Gov tax on top of that. A Tuc Tuc ride to Unawatuna was well worth it for an evening meal with an array of restaurants to meet everyones needs and good value, some right on the beach (Bliss). This was arranged with Dilan, Dinesh and Mahesh who ensured we were taken to and from our destination at a very reasonable price. We arranged a trip to Yala National Park not via the Hotel but through Dilan who arranged everything for us at a far cheaper rate and we had a fantastic day. A nicer lad you won't meet and his knowledge of Sri Lanka is superb and he shared this with us throughout our stay. he genuinely aims to please and you won't be disappointed if you meet up with him during your stay, in fact I'd say its a must if you want to learn and see Sri Lanka and not just stay in the Hotel. He is ably assisted by Dinesh and Mahesh who supplied the Tuc Tuc and ensured I had a coconut drink every day. Pasandra is another of Dilans friends and it was he who drove us to Yala and transferred us from the Fortress to the Taj in Bentota. He and Dilan both accompianed us to Yala and at times they were more excited than we were particularly when they saw a bear, something they hadn't experienced before, it was nice to see them enjoying themselves so much and they were fun to be with. There is not much to see outside the hotel unless you take a Tuc Tuc and it is worth it to go meet and mix with the locals in the nearby towns, they are very friendly and appreciative of your business. All in all a very enjoyable stay in a first class hotel with our own personal tour guides...Dilan and his friends.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Colin M
Reviewed November 29, 2009

Having returned on the 'bleary eyed' 1am flight to Singapore this morning, I thought I would write a quick review of The Fortress.

From the moment we walked into The Fortress grounds we had a wonderful time, complimented by great staff and excellent food and wine.

By the second day we were known to some of the staff by name and nothing could be too much trouble. We were looked after very well by Sam and Sugarth.

If you want to have the hotel arrange tours for you, they will, but there is no pressure from them and I personally wasn't hassled once. As we had our own driver for the duration of our stay, we didn't need to use the hotel or the 'beach boys' (who were also friendly).

During our stay we went to visit a turtle hatchery, Galle fort, a tsunami memorial and the coral garden (on a glass bottomed boat). All were well worth seeing.

Food at the hotel was very good and they had a extensive selection of nice wines.

We would definitely return and recommend without hesitation.

The hotel is in an excellent location on a relatively undisturbed beach but be prepared for the journey to the hotel, it took us just over 3 hours from Colombo. It wasn't a bad journey by any means as you can look at the Sri Lankan scenery and really get a feel for the place; however it is something to factor into your overall journey timings.

If you need any more info, feel free to email me.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Steeps78
Reviewed November 12, 2009

The hotel was sheer luxury and probably the most exclusive in the area.
Staff were wonderful and food great .
The Spa and pool staff were especially very attentive
Is well worth venturing out and about you must visit Galle and Marissa.
I would strongly recommend using the Tuk tuk guiding services of a young man we met on the beach outside the hotel for your visits to surrounding areas.
His name is Chaminda and he lives in Koggala.
He is a wonderful guide and he speaks quite good English and has a wealth of knowledge of the area. He took us where ever we wanted and the cost was very reasonable.He is a very careful driver and his Tuk tuk is the cleanest I have driven in.We felt very safe on trips with him and he would wait for us where ever we went especially out for dinner in the evening ,so no need to look for transport back to the hotel.

2  Thank melissaYorkshire
Reviewed November 6, 2009

Very nice Hotel only 3 years old. The rooms are 5*plus and so is the service. It takes up to 4 hours by road from Columbo airport depending on the time of travel. We went on half board...the breakfast was ok for a small hotel (only 49 rooms) with ample choice.
The evening meal was ok with a few exceptions.
They have a modern pizza oven but carn't make a proper pizza...they roll out the dough and cut it into a circle there is no crust on the edges so it always burns...I pointed this out to the chef but the practice continued. Also on the continental menue they do Fish & Chips...this british dish comes with french fries...this should never happen... Maybe it is because the manager of the hotel is French and has adjusted the dish to suit his Frenchness. The consistancy of other dishes changed from day to day...example, a Tutti Frutti on consecutive night came in different glasses and contained different fruits and ice cream.
Other than that the hotel is fabulous...the pool is great and the staff are the best I have encountered.
If you want to save money on trips and beer...chat to the boys on the beach...I would give them some cash and they would bring me beer, tonic water or anything else I wanted.
Behind the hotel (inland) in Koggalla Lake... the boys arranged a trip on a boat £10 for four of us...took us to where they lived and gave us coconut milk fresh from their garden.
They also arranged a trip to Galle cheaper and better than the offical hotel trip. We booked to go to Yala National park via Virgin...the boys would have done it for half price in a cleaner mini bus.
We stayed for 15 nights and had a great time.

2  Thank toc1944
Reviewed November 3, 2009

Wow factor with the rooms, the views and the area. Yet the staff and a few other items let this hotel down.

We arrived and felt this was the best hotel in Sri Lanka if not the best we have ever stayed in. Certainly the bedrooms were the best. nothing I have stayed in before comes close. But when showing us the room, the member of front office staff was blatant in trying to force a tip from my Fiancee and I. After showing us how to open the fridge door and turn on a tap I had to say thats fine, we're both really tired please leave us alone.

You have only a narrow bit of sea you can swim in, though the pool is fabulous so its only the likes of myself who enjoy jumping into a natural bit of water who will be disappointed.

The final point I have tried hard to not influence my opinion on this hotel. I got food poisoning at dinner. On checkout I said i had been ill but the staff showed little interest or concern, a simple extra bottle of water for our continuing journey would of been appreciated, not a stunned silence! I did not expect money off or an appology for it was a good meal but the reception staff just wanted me away.

I recommend this hotel, for the experience of staying in a lavish, beautiful place and the rooms are the best I've ever stayed in. Don't expect to much from the staff though.

1  Thank ali208