“Beware! Scam Artists ”

The Long Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Koggala
“Beware! Scam Artists ”
Reviewed September 2, 2014 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel for one night on full board with our two children. We are a local/expat family of four. I called a month in advance to book our room. The hotel was running a special through HSBC offering 50% off for locals and Expats. I gave all information for our family at the time of booking, and requested a top floor from. A final, nett, price quote was given with a reference number and we were promised the room we requested. Just to be safe, I called the hotel up a few days before we arrived and once again reminded them that we wanted a top floor room.

When we arrived, as my husband was parking the car, I was promptly greeted by a girl from the front desk and she requested my passport. She assumed, as I am American, that I was a tourist. I explained that we were a local family and she showed us to a bench at the back of the lobby. We proceeded to sit and watch as tourists were seated in a different section near the desk, served welcome drinks and we were offered none. After some time we were given our key and directed to a ground floor room. We told the attendant that we requested an upstairs room, and we had to wait for them to sort that out. When they came back a guy from the front desk spoke with my husband and informed him that we had failed to inform them of our 7 year old son, and the price would go up due to his room supplement. I was totally annoyed and told him that it made no sense why I would inform of my 12 year old son and not the other one. Then he said my 12 year old is charged as an adult, which is a blatant lie because it says 13 and up on the website. I said it's your mistake, we are not paying any more. He said okay and showed us to our room. We had booked for a triple and were taken to a double. I was so pissed at this time that I just gave up and requested another bed. After a few minutes another front desk guy showed up at the door arguing about the rate. My husband said we will pay what we agreed and not a rupee more, or we will go. The guy said okay never mind and left. At that point my husband called hsbc and informed them of the situation. The lady at hsbc said they had other complaints.
So, the room was okay. Not bad. But not a triple. The beach is lovely and the hotel is well laid out. The food was fantastic and the dining staff was great, and that's what the two stars are for. But the front desk, awful beyond belief. There were always a crowd of them standing around doing nothing, or smoking by the pool bar. Totally unprofessional. We checked out quickly and without any problems other than that we were charged for a triple instead of the double we actually stayed in, but I was so sick of it by this point that I just paid the bill.
The real kicker came when we were just about back to Colombo and the phone rang. It was the hotel calling to inform us that they had neglected to charge us for a beer we had at lunch and could we please go to their bank in Colombo and deposit the money for it. I mean, can you imagine? Calling us over an 180 rupee bottle of Lion Lager? We laughed ourselves all the way home!
They are rude, scammy, and unprofessional. I would go for a meal, but nothing else.

Stayed September 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank jperera

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Reviewed August 31, 2014

It is quite big hotel. The staff is not very friendly and service is poor( had to call so many time to fix something in the room), Basic rooms and they are watery not very much comfort....but food is testy and had some choices. Beach is very nice and very clean also the pool. my 3 year old little girl had wonderful time in the period of our stay.....

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Keshani P
Colombo, null, Sri Lanka
Reviewed August 24, 2014

Even though we have made our booking two week prior to the arrival with specifics the rooms were not what we expected, somehow after about 45 minutes they changed us into a 'better' room. The rooms are just basics. hair dryer and the kettle didn't work in my friends's room, which was fixed after too many calls and personal complain to the reception only on the second day!. The food was a nightmare, thus we changed our H/B booking to a B/B, and enjoyed way better food in near by restaurants. The treatment for locals is not good at all. We decided never to come back. The room service kept banging the door until you let them clean it! It was so annoying. The pools were not clean. The bathroom was too small dark, and didn't work properly! If you are planning to stay more than a day I'd say find a better hotel!

Room Tip: Ask for an upper floor, king size beds, otherwise they will give you twin beds
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank Tania S

Travelers are raving about these Koggala hotels

Reviewed August 24, 2014

From the point of arrival the staff began their harassment. our group had 10 adults and 4 kids, First, at the very entrance we had wait for over 10 minutes and no one came to pick up the luggages. Then a van arrived with few foreign guests and the bell boys rushed to them like flies. Still we were not noticeable, as we were like ghosts to them. So we unloaded our bags ourselves. Next there was no welcome from the reception. A receptionist came to us after about another 10 minutes and told us to have a seat somewhere in the lobby. Then we waited there for another 20 minutes and no one hardly noticed us. by then the foreign guests who arrived had been completely taken care of. Bell boys, receptionists, attended them with wide grins and a waiter brought them welcome drinks. Then another bus filled with forigners came along and so went the staff flying like flies to greet them. Another ill mannered waiter gave 4 drinks to 6 of us and i believe he assumed we should share the drinks!!. The rest of never got any welcome at all.
Rooms
======
After about 30 minutes time we recieved rooms with terrible cleanliness. The rooms are smelly, and filled with water. The reception didnt send us anyone until another hour or so. So we started to get really annoyed. After a heated discussion, one of the rooms got changed. The room had two tea cups with different sizes. one is a regular standard cup. the other is some sort of a measuring cup from the kitchen i guess. There are no complementary water bottles or glass to drink water. Linens had patches. There are no review forms, to take the guest input as well.

Dinning
----------

One of the worst dinning experience ever at a hotel. They never changed any linen. all the food stains from the breakfast were clearly visible and no cutlery for some people. Staff was extremely mean. We practically had to beg for water to be served. There were no glasses, the glasses came after almost half way of our meals. Once the water was served we had to walk to the water dispenser to get ourselves water. The plates in the buffet was short supplied. long queue waiting for dinner plates and dessert plates. Drinking water is a luxury and getting a waiter to pour water is like finding NEMO. The water dispenser had water leaking from everywhere, and the bread toaster is half broken. Sinks behind the water dispenser are extremely dirty. They had food from breakfast and last night dinner and it was not cleaned. There are no soap or hand sanitizer at all.

=====
Food tastes mediocre, but the layout is so poor. I didnt see pork, and any other sea food apart from fish in Saturday night. There was a large group and we had to eat the left overs as there are no food refills towards the latter part. Same old chicken curry and fish ambul thiyal was there the entire time and we did not pay for those typical curry to be the ONLY meat items in the buffet.

The Manager
-===========

I believe he or she had the faintest idea about who is dinning and who is not. No one taking count or monitor guest who arrives to the buffet. The staff is totally ignorant and keeping to themselves.

OVERALL
-------------
Reception service is horrible. Food service and waiters are totally unreachable. Rooms are terrible. I will never dare to set foot to that place ever in my entire life!!
The staff only focus on tourists. They feel and treat the locals as if they have contracted Ebola virus. Extremely mean, lazy and unresponsive staff. I believe they are too tired running behind foreign guests, so they loose complete focus of the rest of the staff

Room Tip: dont even think about occupying ground floor rooms in the south wing (where the larger pool is). Hor...
2 Thank Kaveenda G
kolkata
Reviewed August 19, 2014

We stayed at this hotel in 1st week of august,2014 and had a very bad experience. Firstly, the reception was most inefficient and we had to wait over 45min, for checkin inspite of no other guests around the reception counter. Then the rooms on ground floor which was allocated to us were stinking and bathrooms are equally smelly. Inspite of spraying of room freshner by hotel management nothing improved.

Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank traveller56kolkata
Reviewed August 18, 2014

We, three families visited Koggala for a one day/night stay with full board. There was a huge crowd on queue to check in and check out. We were received badly, no welcome drink, no timely check in, even not an excuse!!! Finally we talked with many people and got the rooms. This is because of lack of staff and experience to handle such a crowd even though there are so called four star. Further we found many lapse on food menu, food arrangements, customer care, etc. etc., and finally gave few advises to them for improvements to maintain the star! It is a very challengive hotel which holds 4 star without many features and qualities?

Room Tip: Rooms near the pool and sea side are good, not road side?
1 Thank Sinnathamby V
Battaramulla
Reviewed August 9, 2014

Location : Right along a long coast-line if Koggala, uncrowded beach and the sea is good even during the off season.
getting there : southern highway will get you to koggala in 1 1/2 hours from Colombo.
check in : Geared to manage large group check ins hence seem quite efficient.
rooms - have been renovated, but both rooms and toilets are small.
Restaurant : wide variety of local cuisine, Ok food.
staff ; very friendly and very accommodating

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Koggala
Koggala Beach Hotel
#3 of 6 in Ahangama
Hikka Tranz by Cinnamon
Hikka Tranz by Cinnamon
#4 of 27 in Hikkaduwa

Been to The Long Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!