The Long Beach Resort & Spa
  • Breakfast included
  • Pool
Crystal Oceanic(Ahangama)
View Hotel
All reviewssri lankasea viewroom boyrestaurant staffgreat beachspecial thanksrelaxing staymain restaurantindian oceangalle
FilterAll languages
Reviewed February 23, 2013

checked in ok, room was basic and reasonably clean, both restaurants were very basic, but food was revolting, glad to get out. stay only if you get a cheap deal. tuck tucks outside are waiting to rip off tourists, better to use the bus just 20 metres down the road, busses run about every 15 to 20 minutes. beach is superb and clean. hotel staff were unwilling to help with transport to next destination. pool had an oil slick and water was obviously not filtered properly.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 20, 2013

We stayed here for a few days at the end of our vacation and all we wanted was beach hotel to complete our stay and this is what we got. We were pleased we had not booked all inclusive as we tried the all inclusive buffet for a couple of evening when we first arrived and could not eat it. . We then started using the Al La Carte restaurant which was much better and not expensive. The Al La Carte restaurant is a much better experience the service and food is like being in a different hotel whereas the all inclusive restaurant is more like a canteen. Lunch time we had the prawns cooked on a BBQ on the beach which were brilliant. The beach is great the only thing you have to be aware of is all the beach sellers who line up waiting for you to leave the hotel area. The rooms are clean, staff friendly and always willing to help. I also injured my foot on the last night and spent the next day in a wheel chair as a result I needed a lot of help to get around and there was no shortage of willing hands to lift me in the wheelchair up and down the steps. All in all not a bad experience and I would go back but would not book as an all inclusive guest

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed February 17, 2013

If you're thinking about going - don't!!
My wife aand I and our two small children (2 years and 1 year) were booked in Long Beach for a 5 day stay, as part of our Christmas holidays in Sri Lanka.
From the moment we arrived there were nothing but problems:
We had booked many months in advance and had specified that we needed a cot for the baby. There was no cot in the room when we arrived. When I asked for a cot, they delivered some beat-up travel cot that did not even work (it would not fold into position). When I went back to reception to ask for an alternative, the recption staff started giving 'attitude' and we generally unsympathetic that i had a screming baby who really needed her nap.
The food is TERRIBLE - imagine the worst food that you have ever eaten - prison food, hospital food, school canteen food - this trumps them all. Truly inedible! Even the breakfast buffet was lousy - how difficult is it to get that right?!?
There was a stench of urine in our bathroom all of the time - even within 15 minutes of it being cleaned, the stench would return.
The staff we generally friendly but not very well trained (though i assume this was through no fault of their own). Probably local people who managed to get jobs, but really had no real idea how to treat paying guests
We had to pay for the room in advance when we booked (this should have been enough to have my alarm bells ringing before we even arrived). When we were checking out, they didn't even know have a record that we had already paid.

We eventually had to check out two days before out departure date and find another hotel - we couldn't take any more (and were hungry)!!

Having said all that, the beach is beautiful with magnificent waves.

In summary, this place is a total disaster! Avoid at all costs - especially if you have family!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Noel-Woods
Reviewed February 16, 2013

I was very excited to get a good rate online for this hotel - it was usually a $300/ night down to $70! Sure enough there is a reason.... the rooms are comfortable and spacious - perhaps a little dated..but it was nice, and good balcony views. However, the dinner and breakfast buffets were not only limited in variety - the food was almost rubbery - like it had been cooked the day before! The chef was however were gracious, and sent us a plateful of banana's when he realized I was allergic to pineapple! So the next night we opted to go out for dinner to a nearby hotel Canteloupe Aqua - MUCH nicer.

The beach was nice, but the hotel lacked suficient beach towels for the number of guests - so we got rather grubby and worn out room towels instead.

There were 5 of us, 2 of whom were travelling straight to the airport after checking out while the rest of us continued on further. The hotel were un-cooperative about ordering a taxi for my friends so we booked a taxi from Matara (a nearby town) - when the cab arrived - the hotel had siad they had not ordered a taxi and let the taxi leave. They (taxi) promptly called me, and I had to ask them to go back to pick up the guests. when I called the hotel to ask them to facilitate this - they told me that the guest have already checked out and are not there responsibility and since they didn't order the cab they are again not responsible!!! I said the guests though checked out are still IN their hotel waiting for the taxi and to please facilitate...but they clearly have no after care policy for guests! Oh - and they insisted that they never sent the cab away the first time!

So ...I'll say this - that the service is appaling, and the food is un-appealing - but you may say that is what you get when you book online! But how they justify marketing their hotel at a rate of $300/night is beyond me..... Don't bother staying there - until they make serious changes in staff/management.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 14, 2013

Spent 3 days at this hotel & if all you want is the beach it's ideal. The rooms were very comfortable and the room staff very efficient. On the downside the food was not brilliant - breakfasts good but the evening meals were themed and on "Fishermans " night there was fish, but only if you liked it full of bones!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family