“Great food, friendly owner”
Review of Sofia's Place

Sofia's Place
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Sidmouth Devon
“Great food, friendly owner”
Reviewed September 13, 2012

We really enjoyed our food at this taverna, good portions and very tasty.
The owner Sofia was very attentive and friendly and although very busy she made time to chat with us, very reasonable prices, great setting would definitely dine there again.

• Visited August 2012

• Polish first
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Superb food”
Reviewed August 8, 2012

Very good food. Everything is homemade and you'll get an excellent service. Don't forget to try their cheese saganaki, it comes out on fire!! :))

1 Thank SMAR10S
Örebro, Örebro Län, Sweden
“Our favourite in Pigadia!”
Reviewed August 2, 2012

Great food and very friendly service! Beautifully located down by the ocean. Delicious loukoumades! Reasonable pricing.

It's a small restaurant though and very popular (the surrounding restaurants were practically empty when Sofia's Place was almost full). So be there early if you want to be sure you get a table!

Visited July 2012
1 Thank maria9092
Copenhagen, Denmark
“Ambience and good food on the waterfront.”
Reviewed June 21, 2012

It may look a bit like a tourist trap. And maybe it even is one since it was packed with sunburned northeuropeans. The waiters theatrically "flambeeing" Saganaki in Metaxa on trays in front of the taverna resulting in flames you are sure to notice also adds to that suspicion.

But if it is a trap it is one you will want to get caught in.

I was in fact reccomended this place by locals in the northern part of the island last time I was here, so I had to try it out.

I was not disappointed: The food I had was really good with at least two excellent peaks: The olive paste (tapenade) that was served with the bread as an appetizer took me completely by surprise - it was so intense, so full of concentrated olive taste that time almost stopped for a moment. Best I have ever had. Its the same with their home made pepper sauce, that I was offered to go with my lamb souvlaki. They should can it and sell it. The souvlaki was excellent even if it came with the obligatory and in this case rather anonymous french fries and some rice. Had the Saganaki as well, fun touch with the Metaxa. And some grilled mackerels, done just right. All in all a fine meal when measured on the greek scale - and with an ambience that was worth the whole visit. The number of people personally thanking the lady I assume is Sofia and hugging her on their way out is a good indication that its a taverna to try out.

1 Thank Zorib
Hartford, Connecticut
“Sophia's place - What a great owner and service!”
Reviewed May 9, 2012

Just got home from my vacation in Karpathos Greece and couldn't wait to let everyone know about Sophia's place. I've never seen a restaurant so busy. In the heart of the Pigadia is this small restaurant with a long line of people waiting to get in to eat. We couldn't walk away since everyone was talking about how delicious the food is. The woman guides us into the restaurant which is so crowded. We ask her name and she tells us she is Sophia. Wow! She was so pleasant. The menu offers a great selection of food with great prices. The food was served quickly and the service was extremely friendly. Before we leave, Sophia offers us a homemade liqueur along with some loukoumathes. It was incredible! I wish I was still there. I would definitely go back for more! Great Job Sophia! You are the best!!!!!!

• Visited May 2012