“Superb food”

Sofia's Place
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed August 8, 2012

Very good food. Everything is homemade and you'll get an excellent service. Don't forget to try their cheese saganaki, it comes out on fire!! :))

1  Thank SMAR10S

Reviewed August 2, 2012

Great food and very friendly service! Beautifully located down by the ocean. Delicious loukoumades! Reasonable pricing.

It's a small restaurant though and very popular (the surrounding restaurants were practically empty when Sofia's Place was almost full). So be there early if you want to be sure you get a table!

1  Thank maria9092
Reviewed June 21, 2012

It may look a bit like a tourist trap. And maybe it even is one since it was packed with sunburned northeuropeans. The waiters theatrically "flambeeing" Saganaki in Metaxa on trays in front of the taverna resulting in flames you are sure to notice also adds to that suspicion.

But if it is a trap it is one you will want to get caught in.

I was in fact reccomended this place by locals in the northern part of the island last time I was here, so I had to try it out.

I was not disappointed: The food I had was really good with at least two excellent peaks: The olive paste (tapenade) that was served with the bread as an appetizer took me completely by surprise - it was so intense, so full of concentrated olive taste that time almost stopped for a moment. Best I have ever had. Its the same with their home made pepper sauce, that I was offered to go with my lamb souvlaki. They should can it and sell it. The souvlaki was excellent even if it came with the obligatory and in this case rather anonymous french fries and some rice. Had the Saganaki as well, fun touch with the Metaxa. And some grilled mackerels, done just right. All in all a fine meal when measured on the greek scale - and with an ambience that was worth the whole visit. The number of people personally thanking the lady I assume is Sofia and hugging her on their way out is a good indication that its a taverna to try out.

1  Thank Zorib
Reviewed May 9, 2012

Just got home from my vacation in Karpathos Greece and couldn't wait to let everyone know about Sophia's place. I've never seen a restaurant so busy. In the heart of the Pigadia is this small restaurant with a long line of people waiting to get in to eat. We couldn't walk away since everyone was talking about how delicious the food is. The woman guides us into the restaurant which is so crowded. We ask her name and she tells us she is Sophia. Wow! She was so pleasant. The menu offers a great selection of food with great prices. The food was served quickly and the service was extremely friendly. Before we leave, Sophia offers us a homemade liqueur along with some loukoumathes. It was incredible! I wish I was still there. I would definitely go back for more! Great Job Sophia! You are the best!!!!!!

2  Thank Louise R
Reviewed April 14, 2012

right at the promenade of the Capital City Pigadia, friendly owners and service, tasty meat.

1  Thank Elke S