The only place where this hotel completely fail is: the requirement of wearing trousers to the dinner (the idea itself is seriously obsolete). When you book the hotel, you will not receive info about this. So when you get to the diners hall in the hotel prepare to recieve some snooty attitude from a guy in white shirt about this.
This dinner was in fact a buffet trampled by a gang of elephants which didn't look that very fancy at all. Everything in the buffet was a complete mess. Flies ate from the food, spoons lay in the food, half of it were gone and if you are a vegetarian you will have to settle with potatoes and beans. My advice is to take half board or less and eat dinner in town (10min walk). There're a lot of great restaurants there!
Now on to the positive things. Except from this, the hotel is extremly friendly and helpful.
Rooms are very cool. The room standard is way above the general average in Greece. A very modern interior design with some really cool features such as the huge mirror spanning across the room with a built in TV and the light setup in the ceiling.
Cleaning was done great! Everything is kept very clean and tidy by the maids.
The pool area, also great. You have the restaurant, the bar and a nice pool + childrens pool. The view of the sea from the infinity pool is awesome! The hotel have done a lot to make sure that your stay here will be great!
The beach is not that nice. Only slippery/sharp rocks when you step into the water. I highly recommend not going barefoot when taking a swim. However, all sunbeds and parasols are of great quality! The water is clear so it would be suitable for snorkling.
Italy seem to represent the majority of customers.
The hotel itself claim they are a 5 star hotel, the travel agency 4+, I would say 4. Some strange things were missing that should be standard on 5 star hotels. For example room service, free wifi internet, pen/paper on the room (although you get an evaluation form), a welcome pamphlet explaining the hotel amenities (you will only find info about the spa).
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Alimounda Mare is a newly built luxurious 5-star hotel with 244 guestrooms and suites located on a quiet cove right on the beach, only a 5 minute walk to the harbor and the center of the town of Pigadia, the island’s capital, where you can find an array of shops, restaurants and bars. Situated only 15 km (30 minutes drive) from the airport, the hotel is ideal for families, couples and incentive groups, offering a comfortable and tranquil environment. The infinity pool offers Water Jets as well as a separate pool for the children just above the sandy beach. All guests are accommodated in elegant rooms (with sea view or side sea view), junior suites with mountain view and executive suites with direct sea view, and are offered a complimentary bottle of wine upon arrival. Each unit is fully equipped with air-condition, satellite TV, telephone, internet connection, mini bar, tea/coffee facilities, bathrobes and slippers.The restaurant offers show cooking and fine Mediterranean cuisine in stylish dining surroundings, either buffet style or a’ la carte. Drinks and exotic cocktails can be enjoyed at the cocktail bar or the poolside bar with magnificent sea views. When longing for exercise there is a tennis court (5 minutes walking distance from the hotel), table tennis and a fitness room at your free disposal. The SPA will help you complete the feeling of wellbeing. Step into a world of ease, luxury and Greek hospitality at Alimounda Mare. Open from May to October it provides modern luxury accommodation, business- and leisure experiences. It's not just a place for people who love the sun, it’s also ideal for visiting some of the beautiful beaches and sites of the island, hiking in the mountains, diving in the crystal clear waters or just for enjoying the magnificent sunrise from your balcony only a few meters away from the sea. If in need of a quiet luxurious relaxation, Alimounda Mare is the ultimate venue for you. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Bookgreece.com, Expedia, Hotwire, Travelocity, Priceline, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Agoda, getaroom.com, Cheap Tickets and HotelQuickly so you can book your Alimounda Mare reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Alimounda Mare Hotel Karpathos Town (Pigadia)
- Alimounda Mare Karpathos, Greece