“One of the few places for solo women travelers...”
other travelers have booked this property
Chandra Tal , approx. 40 kms from the Cottage Chandra Tal aka The Moon Lake
The Nomad's Cottage...
The new look Nomad's Cottage
View from The Cottage
Traditional Bethak / Living Room
Now we have two sitting / living rooms
Our four bedded Glass room
View from your Room
Washroom
Washroom
Way to the rooms
All set for the cycle tour of the valley
Cook out at Chandra Tal
At Kunzum La ....cycle tour from the cottage
Our picnic lunch spot near the Cottage
Parking lot at the cottage
Our picnic spot near the Cottage
On the way to , The Nomad's Cottage, Losar
En route Losar
Entry point to our village
Way to your Other Home....
You have reached your Other Home...
Evening View from the Cottage
Night view from The Cottage..
On the way to Chandra Tal (The Moon Lake)
Parking lot at the Cottage
Descending from Kunzum la...on the way to Chandra Tal
Kunzum la - Chandra Tal Trek...most popular trek of the valley , nearest to our village
Kunzum la - Chandra Tal Trek...near Losar
Summit Mt. Kanamo @ 19,600 ft ....a Non Technical walk
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Any
Zulu2020
Bengaluru, India
“One of the few places for solo women travelers - Very cosy, clean cottage in the lap of the rugged Himalayas”
Reviewed December 19, 2014 for a stay in November 2014
person found this review helpful

After about a dozen calls back and forth with the owner, Sahil, I was convinced this was the vacation for me. Although I have traveled solo before, its never been to any place as remote or pristine as Losar.

The journey there was an experience in itself. Sahil advised to use public transport as it was safer than travelling in a taxi along deserted mountain roads. The sage advise really sunk in during the journey as sometimes, for an hour or two, we would not pass any other vehicles. After leaving Shimla > through Kinnaur/Peo (1 day) > to Kaza (1 day), my urban nature-starved eyes were glued to the gorgeous landscape.

But of course, leaving Kaza behind really unraveled a feeling that I was home amongst the most hospitable people in India. Sahil is well connected in these regions and I had people watching out for me throughout this journey. Someone came to pick me from the bus in Kaza to show me my homestay and the next day, the lone shared taxi that travels between Kaza and Losar, the driver started 3 hours earlier so I would settle comfortably in Losar while there was still light.

As we approached Losar, my heart beat a little faster because I had booked a whole week's stay at the Nomad's Cottage and I didn't know what to expect. But Guruji and his wife (the family who co-own the Nomad's Cottage) came out to greet with their warm smiles and that set my heart right.

I knew what I wanted from my holiday.

1. Pristine beauty in a remote location, around mountains
2. To feel safe and not have to think twice about personal safety
3. To be able to stay in a hotel like ambiance with clean, white sheets and a clean bath and toilet (camping not for me)
4. To have local food to taste but also for it to be served customized if not agreeing with my palate
5. TO be able to read and relax

Although it was a tall order, I found all that and more at the Nomad's Cottage. As cliched as it sounds, the people really are of another time and world. Warm, friendly, genuine, caring, hospitable, trusting of strangers. And Guruji also seems to have great respect in these parts.

How did I spend my days in Losar? - Well, lazy walks around the village. Watched mountain donkeys and yaks going about their day. And the locals. The local kids are adorable. Sat up on the roof terrace of Nomad's Cottage with stunning views all around and read books (they have a small library at the cottage) all day. All this with a constant supply of hot chai (namkeen chai and lemon chai were my favourites) and some really amazing food. I learnt how to shape momos but, the first few got a ton of giggles out of the kids around. No mobile network towers everywhere so i'm guessing that I got a week off with minimal radiation and got to breathe pure air.

And this vacation rejuvenated me like no other place has in recent times. Although I'm now back to the grind as I write this, just looking back at pictures of the place brings back the fondest of memories of the people and place. And I can't wait to get back here again!

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Comfort, ease, cleanliness, and safety for solo women travellers
Liked least: November is probably not the best of times to travel there as its pre-winter and pretty cold
Traveling group: Solo Traveler
Friends getaway People with pets
charul200...
Gurugram (Gurgaon), India
“Warm.. Cosy.. beautiful.. must stay place in the Spiti Valley”
Reviewed December 4, 2014 for a stay in October 2014

After a trek from Langza to Hikkim and drive back from Hikkim to Losar in our tour of the Spiti Valley, six of us , tired travelers , landed at Nomads Cottage, at 8 .30 in the night without a booking for that day and we came to know that the entire place was booked.. In spite of that, we were very warmly welcomed by Sahil , the owner of this beautiful place, and he made arrangements for us to stay for the night promising us some good accommodation the next day.. After wining and dining and hearing some great stories of Spiti Valley from Sahil,who has been an ardent traveler himself, we were off for the day..
The next morning , the most beautiful sight awaited us.. We were in the midst of one of the most picturesque places in the Spiti valley.. Excellent location, lovely rooms with awesome views, great food, very helpful staff , the warmth of the place endeared us all. .. :)..This is one place to be if one intends to visit the Spiti valley.. I am going to come back for sure.. :)

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The location and warmth of the property
Liked least: nothing
Traveling group: Friends
Your age range 50-64
Friends getaway People with disabilities
Older travelers Families with young children
Large groups People with pets
RoyzDen
Kolkata (Calcutta), India
“NOMADIC DESTINATION.”
Reviewed December 1, 2014 for a stay in October 2014

Nomad cottage is an identical place hikers and travellers in sphiti. The place is managed by sahil duggal an amidst traveller and solo biker from delhi who is an encyclopaedia of Sphiti.

This is also an ideal place for having good food at Losar with exquisite and traditionally maintained cuisine beside a fireplace feels like heaven. The cook Norgu is a great guy.

The place is scenically located and secured from cold, so I suggest to have a stay and get a detailed itinerary.

Overall condition of the property Bedding & mattresses
Kitchen & utensils Bathroom cleanliness
Liked best: The dining Room
Liked least: some rooms doesn't have attached baths.
Traveling group: Extended Family
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children
thebhatak...
Pune, India
“a home amongst the mountains”
Reviewed November 24, 2014 for a stay in June 2014

we stayed at nomads cottage during our bike ride, cottage is very comfortable and the view is to die for.
we enjoyed great food and a homely comfort. would love to visit losar again and stay at nomads cottage.

Value Rooms
Location Cleanliness
Arpan K
Guwahati
“I found a home in Spiti”
Reviewed November 23, 2014 for a stay in October 2014

You take the rigorous road to Spiti and later in the evening when in the evening when you reach your cottage you feel no less than home. Friendly host, awesome people at work, comfortable & cozy rooms and the lovely local food made all the tiredness vanish in a moment. Wish I could stay there for longer, hopefully will visit very soon.

Traveling group: Friends
Your age range 25-34
Dhingrati...
New Delhi, India
““ Cozy Oasis In Cold Desert “”
Reviewed November 22, 2014 for a stay in June 2014

It was for the first time for us to explore Lahul&Spiti in Himalayas.. but i was bit worried as i never been to this Part of Himalayas.. i Googled this so beautiful property "Nomadic Cottage at Losar & after talking to the owner of this so beautiful Property ,my all worries just vanished away, i booked only 2 days stay with Them , even though Mr.Sahil guided me throughout whole of my 10 days road trip to Lahul & Spiti ,and after long Journey of 2 days on road when we reached Nomad's Cottage , Losar.. we forgot all our tiredness , as its so magical place to be , The property , the view , people around & The most importantly .. Nobody can imagine that after such long drive to deep hills & into such remote area one can get such beautiful stay..
Overall what I learn about Nomad’s Cottage & Mr.Sahil is that this property is kind of dream child to Mr.Sahil ,its there more to fulfill his inner soul rather than just another hotel to make money out of it..

Liked best: just everything
Liked least: Why its so far away , wana go there every weekend.. :-)
Traveling group: Extended Family
Your age range 35-49
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Families with young children
Large groups People with pets
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
Karan C
“Thanks 'Nomadic Destinations'”
Reviewed November 19, 2014 for a stay in October 2014

I would start by thanking the person behind this wonderful setup; Sahil.

From the cozy cottage in losar, to the home stay at dizzying heights of lanza, to the pacific camps on the bedside of chandratal lake, we experienced it all. A unique experience awaiting us every single day we spent in the valley.

All made possible by sahil and his team who took care of our plans real closely.

Would highly recommend this place to all. You can be rest assured, Sahil will carve out a wonderful itinerary, to suit you.

Value Rooms
Location Cleanliness
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travelers
Set up your free listing