“Rude Man”
Review of Restaurante La Nuova Scarpetta - CLOSED

Restaurante La Nuova Scarpetta
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Families with children, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed December 4, 2013

I ate in La Scarpetta (Tip e Tip's as the locals call it), a few years ago and swore I would never go back. He's such an ignorant and vile man. He was lucky my friend didn't deck him. Anyway we ate there. I got some pork which was as dry as Gandhi's Flip Flop. I complained but to no avail. In fairness everyone else had a good meal but my experience wasn't such. There's much nicer restaurants in the area with much nicer host's. Give this place a wide birth.

8  Thank Franko61

Reviewed November 25, 2013

Just back from 2 weeks in Golf del Sur, and eat in La Scarpetta 5 times, and weren't disappointed once. Matteo is actually extremely good at his head waiter job, but just does it with lots of Italian exuberance. On our last 2 visit's we hadn't booked and each time, he found us a table within 10 minutes, the last time giving us one of the reserved tables until the one we were getting had a chance to have their coffee's and pay. How many other restaurants leave the bottles of your first drinks on the table, and leave them till your starter arrives? No sooner had we moved to out table for the night, then the family who had reserved the one we were temporarily at, arrived for it. Yes we had a bit of a wait, but we were well looked after, and when the food did come, boy was it worth the wait. A wafer thin foccatia and baby scallops from Gallicia for a starrer. With my wife having the grilled jumbo prawns and I had the biggest and tastiest fillet steak with peppercorn sauce. A lovely bottle of red wine, and coffee's to finish (no room for sweets). Then another bottle of Sambuca left for us have a couple of shots, total bill for the night 65 euro's. We could easily have had a couple of their excellent pizza's if we wanted a cheaper night as the most expensive is around 9 euro., and the cheapest 5. But to be honest, when the quality of the ingredients and the skill of Kerri (the chef) is this good, you just have to try it. We tried a few of the other restaurant at Los Abrigos, some were mediocre, other pretty good, but none on the same planet as this place. You do really need to book, especially if going for the first time, as the are completely full every single night, mostly with return customers, which says it all really. There are plenty of other restaurants close by who are packing up at 10.00 p.m. and Matteo has his queue sitting on the wall outside, waiting for a table. So the only advice I can give anyone, is to take your sense of humour, and your taste buds to La Scarpetta, and have the meal of your life, it really is that good. Cant wait to go back next year, I have got the lobster linguine booked already.

Reviewed November 16, 2013

Some friends of ours who live semi permanently on the Island booked this place for a Sunday Lunch having eaten there before. Anyway the Italian owner ( who some reviewers describe as the waiter) is as mad as a box of frogs. His co owner and partner/wife who is from Yorkshire does the cooking and seems far more sensible!
Be warned he will be all over your wife/female partner (if you take one) like a rash with lots of innuendo etc. If therefore you are a boring old fart you might want to go down to the local tea room !!

Onto the food. This was a leisurely Sunday lunch which actually lasted nearly 5 hours! In that time the place was nearly almost full until we probably realised we should leave at 6pm when they were setting up for the evening shift. Starters like tuna tartare and crab avocado were delicious as was the goats cheese soufflé . Mains of scallops with ravioli and scampi sauce were equally good. I blindly ordered the Linguini with lobster thinking it would have a bit of chopped up lobster in the pasta.......nope a whole lobster placed on the plate beautifully cooked to compliment the perfectly cooked linguini with a sauce and seafood left me feeling a bit greedy!!

Lots of wine (5 bottles) two courses each with coffee etc 200 euros for 5 of us. And just when we thought we had drunk enough mad man leaves a full bottle of Sambuca and Limoncello on the table ....'drink what you can on the house' was what I think he said although my memory is a bit hazy from that point. We did some damage to both bottles !

Good fun, good food and good value but remember you have to put up with a bit of cabaret from the boss. Interestingly we walked passed there 4 days later in the evening and the place was heaving again....not really surprising !

Reviewed November 5, 2013

The position is wonderful overlooking the harbour but the waiter ruined the whole night with his theatrical manner and over familiarity with most of the female customers

1  Thank Lotus19
Reviewed October 17, 2013 via mobile

Get past the rude proprietor, with his "Go Away" which was a very rude introduction BUT after that as I've a thick skin the food was EXCELLENT the remainder of the staff were pleasant in fact very pleasant the food though could NOT be faulted. So put up with mr rude and get over the bridge and dine well