“Really nice resort”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Karousades
Bracknell, United Kingdom
“Really nice resort”
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We booked a weeks holiday to this hotel after extensive research and review reading. We booked through Thomas Cook and ended up paying a lot of money when in hindsight we could of gone further a field, but if you manage to get a good deal then definitely worth the money. Firstly if you book this as a package DO NOT use the transfer coach to and from the airport its horrific, it took us 2 hours to get to the hotel with very little air conditioning, very loud Greek radio played by the driver through the whole of the coaches speakers and incredibly bad driving which resulted in my Daughter suffering travel sickness. A taxi from the airport to the hotel costs approx 50 Euros and takes 45 minutes, and if you book a taxi back to the airport at the front desk you'll get a very nice new Mercedes.
We paid extra for a sea view room with a partition and were extremely pleased when shown to our room and found the view exactly what we'd hoped for, spectacular! Although the enjoyment was short lived when after several hours unpacking and resting before dinner we realised the AC in the room was non existent and was actually blowing hot air out instead of cold, and during the week we found countless others suffering the same problem! After several unsuccessful maintenance trips the AC was unable to be fixed and we were moved to another room with its own independently controlled AC (please when booking contact the hotel directly and ask for this)
The new room did not have a sea view but was a poolside room further back towards the main gate, we literally opened our patio doors and stepped into the pool, very nice, and was like having our own private pool. Some people did not like being further back, but we found we preferred it, only 5 minutes walk back to reception and definitely quieter, where we struggled to get sun loungers around the main pool, we virtually had the run of the pool by our room and certainly a choice of loungers and umbrellas.
Our Daughter made as much use as she could of the Thomas Cook kids club, and the reps running it were fab, the only downside is the length of time its open and not everyday.
Other than the kids club, pool and beach there was not a lot else to keep our 3 year old amused which lead to a stressful time for us trying to keep her entertained, but using all the different pools, and taking walks around the resort and browsing the shop had to do, luckily we took a portable DVD player and lots of DVD’s for her!
Our room was very clean and was a good size with a very luxurious bathroom. The beds throughout the resort are very hard so if you mention this to reception they will send up mattress toppers which make the bed softer to sleep on. We had a flat screen TV (but the only English speaking channel is BBC world) and a mini fridge.
The main restaurant was very nice considering it's size and it's buffet style, but with a good choice of food available, and although by the end of the week we did find it a chore we never had any bad food. (definitely recommend the pasta cooked to order, kebab meat and crepes) We only got to try the Greek restaurant once as we were unable to get bookings for the Italian or Chinese, it seems you have to go down to reception by 07:30 to get a table for the following evening!
The drinks in the resort are a mixed bag, if you stick to wine or beer they are fine, but try sprits or cocktails and they are awful, also beware if you fancy a cup of tea you will get long life coffee creamer to put in it, a yellowish horrid taste! If you order tea at breakfast get you own milk from the cereal area.
Most of the staff in the resort we found to be extremely accommodating and friendly, and if any seem impatient or rude I think this is just the Greek way and down to how busy they are.
All in all an enjoyable holiday at a pleasant resort, I probably wouldn't go back but that’s more down to us not keen on going to the same place twice.

Room Tip: Go further back towards the main gate for a poolside or swim up room. Ask for a room with it's o...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank LuvlyHols

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (502)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
London
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We had a week away in late August with 2 adults and 2 kids. Overall we were really happy with the Hotel but with some things to watch out for.

The food in the main restaurant was pretty good but it's mega busy with lots of quite rushed queuing. There were no labels on any of the food, coupled with the rushed sensation of the queue and having kids with us made it a little stressful.. there were no trays (our kids can't carry their own plates), juggling plates in busy queues wasn't great.

We were lucky and got an upgraded room upstairs in the family area which had a separate room for the kids, the room was great, plenty of space, nice and clean. Didn't have the trimmings you would expect from 5* (such as TV on demand, internet access, DVD player etc.) but really no complaints for a sun/sand type of holiday.

We were worried about the queues at the bar after reading previous reviews but we found all the bars were quite well staffed and we didn't often have waits. A couple of the bars (the beach and pool bar) had stuff laid out for making ham and cheese rolls or ice creams and this was very welcome because we couldn't usually be bothered to get dry and go to the restaurant for lunch. The glasses the drinks are served in were ridiculously small.

The pools were the best I've ever seen, they are all huge, there's loads of them, the water slide was a lot of fun and I think we all went down it at least 10 times a day. Salt water doesn't bother us at all.

The beach is great and very safe but busy.

The watersports which really means the pedalos isn't really well managed and you might have to wait a long time to get one.

We aren't really all inclusive fans overall, there were many occasions were I'd have happily parted with money to get more, most notably I would sooner have parted with cash than drink the wine and I would have paid more to get a nice beer in a cold pint glass. Fortunately there are lots of bars 10 mins walk down the beach in Roda where you can do just that and we did!

Fortunately I'm always a very early riser so I didn't mind bagging loungers but it is a joke, by 7:30am pretty much every lounger has a towel on it. Clearly this was a point of real problem for the hotel, by the end of our stay it was clear that removing peoples towels from unoccupied loungers and throwing them in the flowerbeds was "more or less fine" not that we did it but others were, it seems like the hotel had a self regulating policy and would side with the person who was actually sitting on the lounger.

Room Tip: Deluxe Family Suites are nice and probably worth it.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Sam1973
Munich, Germany
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We stayed at Mitsis Roda for one week - we are young family with 15 months old baby.
Good aspects:
-very clean, nice room - our bungalow number 552 was with the sea view;
-our Minibar filled every day - according to the leaflet should be filled every two days;
-beautiful garden around the Hotel;
-Roda – 10 minuts walk distance down the beach;
-nice service, very helpful;
-nice thematic restaurants with good food – especially Greek one with lamb souvlaki and nice starters;
-generally good, fresh food;
-beautiful sunrises;
Very bad aspects
-very salty water in pools, that is not only salty because salt but also is very chlorinated (I saw that they chlorinated it without any measurement), I didn’t let my 15 old baby spent time there as I have heard about skin problems that some kids have got; so it was big issue for me there is no little swimming pool with sweet water for kids under 3.
- really crowdie, we were there from 15 till 22 September and it was not fully booked and even though there was too much people for me.
- the north of Corfu is not the most beautiful area, especially Roda – for sure we will come back but we have founded much nicer spots in other part of Corfu;
-veeeeery bad wine, in the country of wine it is a huge disappointment;
-chlorinated water to drink - we buy our own botled water in the Roda village;
-the lack of sun beds was not our problem as our sun got up at 6 am and we were first there, but I have heard people complain about that;
-a lot of stairs and only one lift – it is not for sure comfortable place to walk with buggy.
Generally, Hotel is nice – if you like all inclusive hotel with 1000 of gusts, have e.g. 7 years old kid and you are not interesting in exploring Corfu it is place for you. If you are expecting resort in the beautiful are where you can relax with your toddler during the day and drink nice wine in the evening when he sleeps – for sure that is not the place.

Room Tip: For sure not in the main building, take bungalow with the sea view!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Reading
Reviewed September 22, 2012

My fiance and I stayed at Mitsis Roda for a week in September and have mixed opinions on our stay. Overall, from experience, I would rate this hotel as 4*. On first impressions, the hotel looks impressive. The front reception area is clean, nicely decorated and spacious. The rest of the hotel is maintained well with plenty of comfortable seating.
Positives- The town of Roda is close by (10 min walk) with shops and bars for entertainment. There a lovely views of the sea and pool area around the hotel and the beach bar and sea front restaurants are nice to sit at. The food in the main restaurant is good with plenty of choice, although it did get repetitive. The reps are helpful and offer plenty of day trips around the island. We visited Paleokastritsa and went on the boat trip to Corfu, both were enjoyable.
Negatives- the pool is absolutely freezing. After trying it once I know why it was mostly unused other than by children. Our room had a very dated small box TV with bad reception. Our double bed was in fact two singles pushed together, a little odd when you book a double room. Our view from the balcony was of a very large overgrown tree. If possible I would request a nice pool or sea view in advance. Most of the bar and restaurant staff are very rude and impatient with you. They would often wave their arms at us and mutter something in Greek. This is something that seriously needs to be addressed by the management team. The drinks at the bars are basic and the cocktails are not particularly nice. It is hard getting a sun bed by the pool, be warned, if you are true sun worshippers then I'm afraid its an early wake up to reserve a bed. We used the spa and had a massage, facial and manicure. I would not recommend the manicure as the lady that did my treatment was too rough and made all my cuticles bleed!! I would recommend booking a taxi for transfer to and from the airport as it takes at least an hour and a half to get to the hotel.
If you want to eat at the Italian, Chinese or Greek restaurants you need to book one or two days in advance. I would stay here again but maybe at a quieter time and earlier in the season as the weather was a little temperamental. I would also request to stay in the more private areas of the complex with its own pool.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank ReadingButterfly
Boston, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 20, 2012

had 2 weeks great holiday , food good , put on 7lbs , very clean with fresh sheets & towels every day , nice rooms but not at the top of the road near the gate . food and drink available all day . very busy on the beach , had to towel reserve sunbeds at 7.30 each morning , warning notices said towels would be removed but this never happened . only other moan was the packed lunches which were very poor ...................................overall the whole holiday was great!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: anywhere but at the top of the hill towards the security gate
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank David E
London
Reviewed September 20, 2012

Okay, I've thought about this review for a while now. We stayed 19th August -2nd September. Travelled with Travel Republic, who were brilliant. Highly recommend. It is quite a long transfer to the hotel, depending upon how many other drop offs there are. We arrived at the hotel quite late, but were quickly shown to our room. A good size family room at the top of the hill with it's own private pool. There was no divide in the room, which for us was fine as the children are quite small.

The hotel is really attractive and spotlessly clean. Lots of places to escape, if like us you don't like the hustle and bustle of the main pool. Unfortunately the pools are very salty and deep as has already been mentioned. We relocated to the pool by the family rooms, the depth was better and it had its own bar and the very friendly Paulina. Yes I am being sarcastic. Still she did her job well.

The food is excellent, okay a bit repetitive, but that's expected. The food at the three beach restaurants was great, as was the service. The sweet and sour was the best I've ever tasted. Maybe the service here is better because they get tips, or maybe they get tips because the service is better. I'm not sure, but it made a nice change from the busy main restaurant.

There is something to keep most people entertained here, although as seems to be the norm for Greece all the evening entertainment is very amateur, a bit crude in parts and performed by the animation team. However everyone else seemed to love it so who am I to judge?

I think depending upon the room you get, your holiday experience would differ dramatically. I emailed before arrival to ask for a quiet room, this is just what I got, however I would not have liked to be in the main hotel. Long corridors = noise.

All in all I had a very nice holiday, not as relaxing as it should have been due to the sun bed fiasco (honestly how difficult can it be to stop this?), but still very nice.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank anniehinnie
Woking England
Reviewed September 20, 2012

This is my 2nd visit (also went in September last year). The hotel continues to offer good service and the food is excellent. When you consider how much it is for all inclusive, you can't expect to have everything perfectly arranged. A lot of the problems are beyond the hotel's control - and I refer mostly to the calibre of some of the holidaymakers we experienced this year. Not wanting to appear snobbish, but I don't really enjoy looking at 25stone people tatooed from head to toe, swilling the free lager from 9am until midnight, along with the ensuing loud behaviour. I felt very sorry for the restaurant staff as they were taking a lot of flak from some "uneducated" people about the toasters being slow, the lines to wait for the food, and various other small problems.
I can't agree with some of the other reviewers about the staff attitude. I guess it depends how you treat them yourself. We chatted and had a laugh with all the staff that served us, and they were truly delightful. The manager of the restaurant (George) is an absolute delight.
This hotel is in a beautiful location, and has every amenity you could want. The SPA treatment and pool (indoors) is heavenly, and I had 2 massages in the week which were superb.
I would go back, but not in season (too many kids).
The bar on the beach, along with the 3 restaurants (also on the beach) have the most wonderful views - highly recommended.

Room Tip: Try to get a room in the main block of the hotel, otherwise you face a long walk to the restaurants...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Algoz66
Also consider these accommodations in or near Karousades
Mareblue Beach Resort
Corfu Holiday Palace
Mayor Capo Di Corfu
Mayor Capo Di Corfu
#1 of 4 in Lefkimi

Been to Roda Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!