“Excellent , but few let downs” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Roda Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Karousades
mcr
“Excellent , but few let downs”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2011

Just back from the last 10 day's of the season. Arrived at 2am handed sandwiches and water then escorted to our requested swim up pool. Lovely 2 bedroom with loads of storage space , balcony which had a gate straight into the pool.
Next morning up early for brekky , (could do with more days with bacon) , but plenty to choose from , impressed with the hotel facilities and high standards.
Glass's are glass in the indoor bars , but plastic at the pool and beach bar , the choice is yours.
Lunch and dinner excellent 1st few days , but i did get a bit sick of the sight of pork steaks, but always plenty of choice.
Chinese was my favorite , italian ok , greek nice too.
Free canoes etc on the beach which was good , spot of fishing off the jetty too.
Evening entertainment held in the pool bar , great for young kid's but i think they should do something in the main bar , for the adults ...kids things were like the holiday camp stuff you get in the uk , but at least families were happy. Plastic glasses only which i didnt like.
Shop expensive , have a walk along the beach to roda to buy things half the price.
Drinks...beer fine , sprits very very strong. plenty soft drinks.
Snacks ok.
Staff ok , some freindly some not , but never really ignorant as some mention , assitant manager always walking about , freindly and always smiled and said hello , as for the manager he was a miserable sod.
There was a few people rightly complaining about the last few days where the standards dropped , a meeting with the main manager didnt result in people being able to keep there rooms on as a compensation , i believe the manager was very rude in the meeting.
I will be back , next time in season as the hotel as excellent facilities , i think because it was the last week of the season , standards were not as high as things gradually started to wind down, but thats no excuse for them.
Overall we really enjoyed the holiday , even after we checked out at 12 , we still had the full facilities of the hotel and meals til we left at 9pm.

3 Thank jrpotsy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (486)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2011

This hotel has the potential to be very good. We were there last week (of October 2011) and when we arrived we thought it looked great. Clean rooms, nice presentation, nice pool area. The beach is a thin strip of sand but it's also fairly nice and has some absolutely stunning views of the Albanian mountains.

Many of the staff were also great. The housekeeping staff and some of the reception staff in particular were really friendly and helpful.

Have to agree with some of the other reviews though. We never got to use the spa (which my wife was really looking forward to). They stuck a sign on the door the day after we arrived saying it was closed for 'technical reasons'. Then half way through the week things started disappearing off the menu. We'd get a drink from the bar, and then when we went to get another, it would be crossed off the menu because they had run out. This happened for all sorts of cocktail drinks, liqeurs, and of all things, coke! How you run out of coke I don't know. The main restaurant was a similar story, less and less food as the week went on. And it seemed to be getting poorer in quality too; as the week went on I got to my table to find my plate of food was already cold, so I am not even sure they were keeping some of the food hot enough. As already mentioned, things like crepes disappeared off the menu. I had a nice pizza in the Italian though. The Greek one was alright too. The food in the Chinese restaurant was more like a ready meal though, even though they do cook it there in front of you (not even as good as a takeaway). Also, swarms of wasps around and on the drinks dispensers in some bars. They had bottles of coke filled with hundreds of dead wasps dotted around to try and keep them at bay. I think the correct way to keep them away is to wipe clean the bar area every now and again...!

The reason I am only writing this review today though is that my wife and I have been really ill since last Wednesday really. I was ill first, and then she was (both identical, hideous stomach bug with ALL the symptoms you would expect). We both had to take Monday and Tuesday off work before we were well enough to come back to work. Of course I can't prove what caused this, all I know was that for the last 5 days we have both been so sick we had to stumble to the local Walk-In centre for help and advice. From reading the other reviews it sounds like we’re not the only ones.

The staff in the main restaurant were also on the verge of rude. We didn't feel at all welcome quite often and flagging one down for assistance was very hard (even when they spotted you they just walked straight past). Have to say though that many of them were nice, on balance.

This could be a decent place to go but it was obvious that many of the staff just didn't want us there and they were shutting the place down long before we were due to leave, so we were really quite disappointed with it. I wouldn't tell people not to go in general, but I would certainly not go towards the end of the season again.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank GGMagoo12
Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2011

We stayed at the mitsis roda over October half term with our two children aged 8 and 2 years. Overall we were very happy with the holiday. Our room was spacious and very clean. Maid service was provided every day. We were overlooking one of the smaller pools and just a short walk from the restaurants, main pool and beach.
Although it was the last week of the season, most of the facilities were still open. The spa closed half way through the week. All of the beach side restaurants remained open throughtout the whole week and are definitely worth a visit. The food and service in all 3 was good with the Greek restaurant providing excellent service. We booked 24 hrs in advance at reception and didn't have any problems with availability.
The main restaurant was very busy and was self service. However, the staff were polite and the food was reasonable. Lots of variety but not quite to the same standard as the other 3 restaurants.
Ice creams and snacks such as pizza were available all day from the beach bar and drinks were available from several bars throughout the day.
The beach was lovely, very well maintained with plenty of sunbeds and free use of canoes.
There was a small disco every night which our children really enjoyed. The entertainment team were very friendly and tried to get everybody involved. If you prefer not to watch the entertainment then the bars near the main restaurant are quieter on a night.
Although I can understand some previous comments saying it is not quite a 5* hotel we did not have any major complaints. It is a large complex with plenty for children to do and only a short walk into the resort of Roda. If you are looking for a good standard, family friendly hotel then this is worth considering.

1 Thank ameliag_11
Bradford-on-Avon, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2011

We have just returned from a half term break at this hotel.On arrival we were dealt with swiftly and as it was in the early hours we were given bottles of water and filled rolls. The room was clean, nice furniture with a mini bar and very old portable TV. It was well kept by the maids with clean sheets and towels every day. The Spa was closed from the day we arrived, very disappointing for all who had been looking forward to this facility, including us!! Various theories abounded as to why it was closed! As the week progressed services were gradually pared back. The crepe chef left before the end of the week - no crepes, supplies began to run out of basics like butter and cola etc. The food in the main restaurant became limited in variety. Several people were very ill with a stomach bug, including myself. Some guests needed medical intervention including some put on drips! Some reception staff were rude and arrogant, the manager was less than helpful and pleasant with queries/complaints.Sun beds started to disappear, part of the resaurant closed and there was a general feeling of everything folding up. Just because it was the last week of the season should not have made any difference to our holiday expectations. Overall the hotel was in good decorative order, clean and lovely location it was a shame that the lack of facilities let it down. I would not recommend the food in the main restaurant but the Italian was the best. The tour manager was not interested in any complaints, he was obviously winding down until his duties were over for the next 5/6 months. He showed no concern for guests who needed his intervention/support. I would not class this hotel with a 5 star rating based on our experience.

2 Thank ME1951_11
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2011

I went to this hotel in the middle of October for 7 nights. Having read the reviews I wasn't sure what to expect as there were both very good reviews and bad. After being to the hotel I thought I had to write a review to set the story straight. I will try and keep it brief and correct some of the negatives I have read.

First of all the hotel is of a very high standard. I was very impressed with the room and all of the areas in the hotel.

I found the staff very helpful in all areas including the bars, restaraunts and the maids. Lots of reviews said the staff were misserable. I did see this but only when people were totally rude to them. I said please and thank you all week and guess what... Great service.

The food here was very good. I heard no complaints and heard of nobody being ill. The buffet area was much better than any I have seen before with a much higher quality of food. You must also try the 3 separate restaraunts as they are also very nice. Something I found out when I got there was No shorts at dinner. Something to pack for.

All of the bars were fine. They were all local drinks but there wasn't anything that was horrible. The local beer is actually quite pleasant. Something I need to clear up is the plastic cup/glass issue people write about. Lots complained about the plastic cups. Now any pool bar/beach bar I have been to before will serve in plastic for safety reasons... Guess what same here. I haven't seen glass by a pool before so why would you here? In the indoor bars and all restaraunts you will get a glass. I thought this was normal but people have complained about this on here.

Beach was nice and clean with free sun beds and use of canoes etc for free. No complaints.

Overall for what I paid I was very impressed. It's by far the best all inclusive I have seen in Europe. It was more of the standard of a large all inc you would find further afield.

If you are looking to go away with an open mind and have a good time for a low fee then this is your place. If you are looking for the beat holiday of your life and are expecting an all inc like in the Caribbean the go to the Caribbean and you won't be dissapointed. Plenty of people we met were looking to book again next year in the main season.

• Stayed October 2011
1 Thank Jamie2890
Enfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2011

Immaculate, clean accommodation, with plenty of storage space. Found the beds very comfortable. Using tips from here, we booked the taxi transfer from and to the airport via email before leaving, from the Rodataxi co. - met by our driver at the airport, and had a most enjoyable car journey to the hotel. He gave us lots of useful information regarding the island :-)

Lovely resort, ALL the staff were hardworking, very friendly and helpful wherever we were in the resort. Loved the 3 themed restaurants, but unlike most others on here, the chinese was our least favourite. Greek was amazing, with excellent service, as was the Italian - although the pizzas were huge!

Lots of very clean well maintained swimming pools, we had requested a swim-up room, and were not disappointed. However, the only gripe here is that the water is extremely cold. Had a couple of days of rainy weather, which suited our menfolk as they coincided with the rugby and footie matches shown in bars in Roda itself - just a 10/15 minute walk along the seafront away. Small beach but plenty of sunbeds and looking out to the mountains of Albania, very picturesque :-)

Also hired a car in Roda, which was delivered to the hotel (and then picked up afterwards). Visited Old Corfu town, and Paleokastritsa - beautiful surroundings, nice beach, plenty of places to eat/drink. Word of warning, the hire cars don't have very good suspension, and the roads can be extremely erm, bumpy :-)

Our one and only complaint was the lack of tea/coffee making facilities in the room. Although we stayed near the end of the season, the food and drink was plentiful - main restaurant could get very hot - but the freshness and choice we had more than made up for that :-)

Our group - including two 18 year olds, had a thoroughly good, relaxing time here.

Room Tip: If you have any mobility issues or small children, might be an idea to request accommodation nearer...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Bromsgrove, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2011

We recently sort a relaxing week away in October and searching through the internet came across the Roda Beach. There were mixed reviews but given that we were going slightly out of season we decided to go for it and were very very pleased with the result.

We paid extra for a seaview room and received one of the family rooms right on the edge of the hotel complex. For us this was perfect. we were seeking seculsion and being away from the evening entertainment suited us down to the ground. The room was spacious, very clean, and very comfortable - it stayed that way for the week with the cleaning staff being very polite.

We loved the fact that there was the 3 extra restaurants to choose from and our particular fave was the chinese - the best chinese i've eaten in a while! We had no trouble at all and spent most evenings sat with a cocktail in one of the restaurants.

Staff were impeccable too. If I'm honest I could quite see why some people felt that staff were a little curt, however I also saw the way that the staff were treated by the 'all-inclusive' guests. I often witnessed guests being rude to the staff and completely forgetting their manners. It appears that by being all-inclusive gives a guest the right to demand drinks and instant service. It takes very little effort to learn please and thank you in Greek as well as being able to smile when ordering food and drink. Try it and you'll find that staff are wonderful, responsive and warm.

Overall we found the hotel to be welcoming and clean. I would happily recommend this hotel but can see that if you went during peak times that things could get busy. I would however happily visit again as a couple or with my nephews.

Room Tip: I would pay a little more for the sea view rooms (I think we only paid £30 for the week!). If you wa...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TravellingAdman
Also consider these accommodations in or near Karousades
MarBella Corfu Hotel
Grecotel Eva Palace
Grecotel Eva Palace
#1 of 3 in Kommeno Bay
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,203 reviews

Been to Roda Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!