“Hidden gem in the gorgeous Elgin Valley - one for the Cape Town trendies”
Review of Old Mac Daddy

Old Mac Daddy
Ranked #23 of 263 Overberg District B&B and Inns
Johannesburg
“Hidden gem in the gorgeous Elgin Valley - one for the Cape Town trendies”
Reviewed February 3, 2011

I enjoyed my brief stay at the Old Mac Daddy farm, despite a few hiccups at the restaurant. I stayed in Daddy's villa with its fantastic uber-modern minimalist decor and stunning views of the gorgeous Elgin valley. The 3 bedroom self-catering villa was spacious, light and airy with an amazing outdoor bath. Unfortunately we did have some hot water issues. There was defintiely lots of attention in the detail of the design of the villa - the huge panels of glass stacking doors that magnify the beauty of the valley; super cool modular furniture, SMEG fridge well stocked with Grolsh; mini espresso machine (though sadly I could not find the much desired espresso pods!).

My main disappointment was the restaurant which was extremely slow both for dinner and breakfast. Granted, I was with a large group of people, which the management was clearly not prepared to handle, especially for the dinner service. The manager did apologize and we did not pay for the meal.

The Old Mac Daddy is definitely a place to unwind from the stresses of city life. Its trendy art chic trailer trash/farmyard theme is unique and refreshing. Though I do not have kids, they seem very well set up for children and families. I was impressed with the wonderful projects that the owners are doing with the community. Though we did have a few hiccups with the service, I understand that the establishment was still new and finding its feet. Hope to stay in one of their designer trailers next time .

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Bristol
Reviewed January 31, 2011

I stayed for 3 nights on a second trip to the Western Cape - Old Mac Daddy is just incredible. I had a very comfortable and spacious room, great bed and my caravan was designed by an artist. It was themed " Give Bees a Chance" and was decorated like the inside of a bee hive. The scenary is breathtaking, the food just fabulous and the staff really went out of their way to assist and help us. This must be one of the most beautiful places I have stayed in South Africa. I can't wait to return.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed January 24, 2011

Well, well, well. This is probably the worst stay over that I had all holiday. Firstly, do not be fooled by the picturesque views of these "arty" trailers. What they DO NOT show you in the photo gallery is the shabby conditions in which the trailers can be found. One would expect that after being open for only 6 months they would have a flair of new-ness, but alas, the ambience created was that of a cheap motel. When I went to ask why they had allowed me to stay in a trailer of that condition I was merely told "it is the designers responsibility to maintain the trailer" washing themselves of the responsibility.
A wonderful "get-away" Hardly, as there can be up to 30 children there at any given time, making it more of a childrens campsite than a quiet retreat for professional adults or anyone looking to have a get away with a partner. The assistant manager also mentioned that the condition of the trailers were due to in influx of children in them. One guest having a "quiet" dinner in the barn with her partner ended up shouting at another patron to shut her children up as others were also trying to enjoy dinner....

I was truly disturbed as I had paid R1700 for the stay and ad expected what they ad advertised on the website. And to make matters worse, I had to voice my concerns to the manager in the reception area INFRONT of other guests as the manager does not even have her own office. Unprofessionalism. To top it off, I was told in no uncertain terms that my money WOULD NOT be refunded. The Assistant Manager tried her best to assist me, but the General Manager couldn't have cared less as HE did not even pay me a visit to apologise or even see what the problem was. I am disgusted at the customer service and appauled at the level of professionalism and even mere kindness that wasn't shown to me....

OLD MAC DADDY aka UNFRIENDLY WASTE OF MONEY-MAC DADDY

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Francois32, General Manager at Old Mac Daddy, responded to this review, February 1, 2011
Hi There

First of all we would like to thank you for letting us know about your experience. Old Mac Daddy is focused on giving good service in a beautifull location, above all, we want all our guests to have a glorious time here in the farm lands.

Our trailers are art pieces, delicately designed to ensure the artist's vision is experenced by the guests. They are difficult to maintain. You will be glad to know that we have gone through extensive maintenance to ensure the quality is at the same level as when we opened.

We do apologize for the little ones and that you should have been told before. This however does not happen every time and is due to school hollidays, when the parents love for their kids to join. We also have a policy whereas children are not allowed in the restaurant after 8 PM. We host the little ones in a kids room area.

We truly believe that Old Mac Daddy is a gem, not just because we say so, but after all the positive feedback we have recieved from local and international visitors. We therefore want to apologise for any misunderstandings or inconveniences you experienced.

However, we are not just talking about this but we would like for you to contact us at our lodge in order for us to invite you for a free night's stay over and experience the improvements and therefore the real gem that Old Mac Daddy is.

Warm Regards

#10 of 41 in Hermanus
Tri Active Lodge
Tri Active Lodge
#2 of 11 in Grabouw

Been to Old Mac Daddy? Share your experiences!