Old Mac Daddy
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Arabella Hotel & Spa(Kleinmond)
Villa Exner(Grabouw)
Oude Schuur(Vermont)
  • Pool
Very Good 4/5
All reviewsthe barnboereworscape towncaravan parkunique experienceliving areamountain bikingthoroughly enjoyed our stayrestaurant staffcity lifestunning viewswine tastingyellow submarineone night staylove cakebeach barself catering
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 29, 2013

My parents, who are the most rugged of safari campers, recently asked me why I do not share their love of the tent in the Great Outdoors. I replied that while I love being in nature, I do not enjoy grovelling in the dirt, dealing with leaking tents, trekking to the bathroom at night in the freezing cold and sharing grotty public bathrooms with critters of various shapes and forms. By contrast, Old Mac Daddy Luxury Trailer Park in Elgin is everything I love about being in nature in style. This is true glamping at its best.

My luxury trailer, rather sardonically called “Life Before Colour”, is as dinky as it is artful. The theme is of a bygone era reminiscent of black and white colour movies, and everything is beautifully decorated in black and white patterns, down to the wallpaper in the loo cubicle. Clever and fun decorating combined with thoughtful conveniences make the trailer a design success. The trailer is completely self contained, with a spacious double bed, a full sized Victorian bath, basin, wardrobe, separated toilet, kitchenette and lounge area. Outside there is a deck with far-reaching views of the Elgin valley.

Accommodation Experience:
I felt like a child exploring my interesting trailer, opening and closing everything that moved. It took me a while to believe that everything really works – from the pop-up awnings at the windows, to the kettle, to the characterful little Smeg fridge, to the bath, to the flushing toilet.

After a fairytale bath, when I finally snuggled into my bed late that night, everything felt cosy and warm. I looked up and saw that the curved walls in the bedroom area were painted in silvery gold which shimmered in the light. I took a last look down the full length of the trailer, and sighed with pleasure at the perfect balance of luxury and fun achieved in this most characterful of stays.

What I love about Old Mac Daddy Luxury Trailer Park:
• The sense of humour which permeates the place, from the name “Old Mac Daddy” to the individually decorated trailers with interesting names and unique themes
• The surprising luxury of the trailers, where there is a feeling that no effort has been spared in the pursuit of comfort and creativity
• The quirky decor, in which every detail is true to the theme of each trailer
• The self-contained nature of the trailers, where each has its own bed, bathroom, kitchenette and lounge
• The setting and views of the Elgin valley
• The modern eco-design of the communal dining area

Review by www.characterstay.blogspot.com

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed March 15, 2013

This is the perfect place to go and stay for a break just an hour out of Cape Town. The caravans (each individually decorated) are AMAZING. On our first stay we stayed in an all contained one by the dam. It was very romantic. And the view sitting on our patio by the dam was amazingly peaceful. This is a place for doing not much and that's just perfect. On our second stay, we got a caravan with a built on lounge and bathroom. The stay was just as nice but it somehow was different as the emphasis was not so much the caravan per se. But it worked out good since we were there as a family and not as a couple. The food at the resaturant is farm fresh and very enjoyable. Just do not be in a hurry. Sit down by the fire and have a game of Scrabble whilst waiting....

Room Tip: Decide whether the caravan has to be the main attraction, if so, the ones with built on lounges are not as attractive
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 15, 2013

I stayed at Old Mac Daddy from 8-10 March 2013. We were there for a wedding. I was very impressed with the location - which is stuck right in the middle of a farm - full of pears, apples and lakes. The accommodation was interesting to say the least. We all took turns checking each others accommodation. I had a room that had puzzle pieces and a giant pin board. Had a lot of fun.

The rest of the venue is stunning. Very tranquil and the staff are uber helpful. One thing I didn't like was the reception. There is zero reception in most of the venue. But that could be a good thing - depends :)

The stairs to the rooms are pretty dangerous. I fell hard and hurt myself on the stairs - but Im pretty sure it was my fault. i.e. I was running up them. But damn did it hurt.

Overall it was an excellent wedding and everyone had a great time. Great service - happy people everywhere :)

Room Tip: The higher you are - the better your view. But the lower you are - the less you have to walk. And you do get tired of walking to your room after four or five trips.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

Together with our 18 month old daughter - who fell in love with the extremely friendly staff - we stayed here for four nights. It is a perfect escape from busy life and very unique. The luxury trailer in combination with a separate living room and bathroom is a perfect setup for a nice holiday. Especially with the fantastic views! Also the swimming pool and children's playroom was a hit during our stay... I definitely recommend this place!

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed March 8, 2013

We had booked for one night at Old Mac Daddy on their website. A few days later we were notified that we were double booked in a trailer. The assistant manager kindly offered to accommodate us on a different night, so we requested a later date. 3 days later we still had not gotten a response so we rebooked through their website ourselves.

When we arrived there was no one at reception. Already waiting to check in was a mother with her infant and another couple.
A few minutes later the restaurant manager walked by and realizing we hadn't been looked after he checked us in. However, it wasn't done properly and there was information missing as it is not his usual job.

We were in The Dream trailer and it was mostly clean and well designed. The living space's glass front folds away: nothing beats folding away the greasy prints on the glass and looking at the South African sunset. Our trailer was the most North-Easterly room so it was nice and private... even on the balcony.

When we went to use the mountain bikes that are advertised, we found them all to be away for maintenance.
Fishing rods could be rented with hook and bait for 50 ZAR. At this point the reception staff was present and happy to teach us how to fish for the (small) Bass in the dam.
The pool appeared unkept during our stay. You could see an oily layer on the milky water. The cleaning equipment was left in the pool our entire stay.

The restaurant is operated separately - and although the design of the place is very nice to look at - 48 minutes is a long time to wait to be served a bowl of soup on a quiet night. Food was acceptable and priced accordingly.
Breakfast is included, and as per the reception staff now also includes hot food (Mar 2013).

All in all, this place has great potential! The rooms are excellent and unique, but the service was poor. Too bad...

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Jason R, Manager at Old Mac Daddy, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2013

Hi Frederic
Firstly I would like to apologise for the delay with my response.
I have been having a challenging few days with my IT
I have gone through your mail and investigated the issues you have raised.
I am sorry your booking was handled so badly and have informed the staff that such behaviour will not be tolerated in the future

With regards to the bikes it is unfortunate but the bikes do need regular servicing and it was unfortunate that they were away for repairs during your stay.
The pool system has been over-worked this summer and we are in the process of upgrading the facilities.

Your point regarding the chalkboard has been noted and we now use 2 boards to relieve “congestion”
I did discuss the long wait for your soup and was informed that the waitron had put the soup through as a main meal hence the wait as your partner had a starter.
If this is correct it would explain why you would have waited that amount of time.

Please accept my apologies for the poor service during your stay.
If you do return to Cape Town please let us know so we can try to make it up to you.
Regards