“well situated hotel for ease of walking to restuarants bars”
Review of Lamai Wanta

Lamai Wanta
Ranked #16 of 50 Hotels in Lamai Beach
Singapore, Singapore
“well situated hotel for ease of walking to restuarants bars”
Reviewed September 13, 2012

Lamai Wanta is based on Lamai beach, and close walking distance to Lamai shops, well situated and no need of transport, unless you want to go further out of Lamai area
The hotel is described as deluxe, the rooms are basic
the villas and apatment rooms are nicely situated in well taken care of gardens, the pool and restaurant are based close as to the beach
for couples friends solo, a place to relax and simply watch the sun rise and sundown, you are spoilt for choice for foods and drinks on the beach and surrounding areas of Lamai

if you want to be with yourself, or couples to simply relax, this is a place to be, tranquil peaceful and a perfect setting for calming and relaxing the mind

Room Tip: you have a choice of villas next to the beach, or apartment rooms based further back, all in the con...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Gary A

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Thai first
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 11, 2012 via mobile

I endorse the previous review from jcarta. Good honest feedback given there. The hotel location is very good with a pool overlooking the beach. I thought the beach "street traders" were not intimidating and could be waved away easily. Other points to mention is that the hut next to the pool offers fruit shakes and smoothies that are very good at 40 baht. There is free use of towels by the pool and food and drink can be ordered from your sun lounger.

As to the food at the hotel, we ate twice at lunchtime and found the food of a reasonable standard. A tuna sandwich one day and a green Thai curry the next. More expensive than eating up in town but you should expect to pay a premium. Breakfast was reasonable and adequate but got a little repetitive after a week. The most annoying thing about the food area is that they drum out Thai music that grates on your nerves. The noise level is that little bit too loud and disturbs your relaxation at the pool side. Don't get me wrong - its not drumming out at nightclub levels - just loud enough to be annoying :-)

As to the rooms, I endorse the previous review. Matress is very hard and gave us back ache. The air con remote worked after several hard pushes, the TV signal poor and most annoying was the wifi which would dip in and out. The bathroom was basic but agreed with hot water always. We had no cold water after 3 days. There was no luxury feel to the room but it was clean and was imaculately cleaned every day.

Staff were courteous and pleasant but different levels of english and understanding of request. Cannot fault them on the whole.

Koh Samui is a vibrant small beach town offering good food and bars. day trips are easily organised and it's got a good friendly feel.

I would stay here again due to the location, the pool and the closeness to the beach. My partner has stayedvin many hotels in koh samui and still rates this one. Just don't expect total luxury.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Pointe aux Canonniers
Reviewed September 7, 2012

I did a lot of research before deciding which hotel to stay in while I was in Lamai. I was traveling alone and just wanted to lay at the beach, so I would say if that is what you are looking for, this hotel hits the mark. I found in my research that hotel room rates in Koh Samui were either really expensive or some really cheap. Since I was traveling alone, with no one to split the bill, I opted for a mid-range hotel, and have had success in other parts of Thailand with mid-range hotels being exceptionally nice and updated, some even a bit cosmopolitan. That was not the case with this hotel. It is directly on the beach, which was great, and they have some of their own lounge chairs on the beach. Of course that doesn't mean you are exempt from the beach peddlers selling their wares, they will still come right up to you on hotel property and harass you. If you stay by the pool area, not so much. The pool was fine and had an 'infinity' feel as it looked over the ocean. It could use some updating as the tiles are that old blue and pink combo. I was there during low season so it was never crowded and there were ample lounge chairs available.

The property is fine and nicely laid out, the gardens seem to be kept up nicely. My rate included breakfast, which was basic, but ok, offering fruits, cereals, yogurt, breads, hot buffet items and made-to-order eggs. Coffee and tea were available in pots that you poured yourself. My rate also included free round-trip transfer to the airport, and one 'set' Thai meal, which was pretty good itself. Other than that, I did not eat anything else in the restaurant.

The rooms of the hotel were basic, bordering sparse. This was my biggest disappointment. The bathrooms were old, specially the shower. There was plenty of hot water. The walls in my room were dirty and could seriously have used a wipe-down or a fresh coat of paint because they kind of skeeved me out a little bit. Also, there was a cot in the room with no linens on it which was also kind of weird. Lucky for me I like a firm mattress because the bed was as hard as a rock! I asked to see a bungalow and thought of upgrading, but the bungalows were only larger versions of the same room I had, with maybe a teapot and a few other small toiletries. Not enough of an upgrade to warrant an extra $60 a night. I didn't feel very comfortable in my room as a place to relax.

The hotel is very centrally located in the town. l was under the impression Lamai beach was the more 'reserved' part of Koh Samui compared to Chaweng, but there were a LOT more girly bars than I thought there would be. There is a cool night street food area (next to several open-air girly bars pumping loud music), not much shopping less a few shops. There is a night market that starts setting up about 5pm.

I guess in this case I really 'got what I paid for', so I can't complain too much about the rate of the hotel, but I wouldn't stay here again. I just like something a little more 'boutique', with more of a Thai flavor, and didn't find it here.

Room Tip: Don't over pay for a bungalow, they are 'stand alone' as in not next to any other rooms...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank jcarta
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed August 31, 2012

for our honeymoon i was thorough in my research... and nothing about our stay at lamai wanta was left wanting.. its a beautiful out of the way property in samui. it gives an amazing secluded feel while catering to your every need. the pool overlooks the beach and ocean and an evening dip is heavenly. the restaurant s attached to the pool and serves a decent breakfast. we took our other meals outside as we found the food a bit on the expensive side. but it was no trouble at all coz there are amazing restaurants jus around the corner. the street food is also pretty brilliant and hygienic. the hotel stocks books and dvd s that are completely free to borrow.
there are no phones in the room but it just adds to a touch of privacy. the staff is extremely courteous and helpful in everyway.. free transfers from the ferry or airport... free wifi..
i know we are gonna be back for our 5 year anniversary .. loved it here

Room Tip: choose a ground level room .. we did .. and the pool or sea facing rooms may not be the best idea...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank travelhappynow
Fredrikstad, Norway
Reviewed August 23, 2012

We had a great stay at the Lamai Wanta in July 2012. We walked off the beach and haggled a bit and got a good price. We rented two rooms for about 8 days. Staff was friendly and in the garden between the buildings it seemed someone was always working cleaning leafs, sweeping etc.

We experienced a problem with the safe in one of the rooms. A staff member checked it out, judging the battery to be dead and it was fixed during the day after by the supplier. That was quite sufficient, I think.

Breakfast buffet was plentiful although after this many days it got a bit repetitive. No wonder really so no complain. They would cook your omelet on the spot with your choice of ingredients.

The pool was quite nice not to mention the location next to the beach including a beautiful view of the sea and beachlife. To us the pool location was the deciding factor for wanting to stay here. Beside the pool we had easy access to swimming in the sea of course, renting jet skis and even sailboat (Hobie cats, 15 mins walk northwards, great experience!) And you can buy all kinds of snack from the beach vendors walking the beach all day. We actually had our lunch poolside several time with corn-on-the-cob, spring rolls and pastries bought on the beach. Tasty and very inexpensive. We can also recommend the beachside massage place withe the hotel name on it. The small kiddie pool next to the main pool was a nice touch. Our 4 and 5 year old used a coupla times but preferred the big pool.

What else... We did have lunch some times at the hotel restaurant and it was great food. YOu should try the smoothies in the small beach bar next to the restaurant; our kids - and us adults - fell for those:-)

I cannot think of anything we didn't like here. We could have used a dvd player in the room, some rooms had one.

I would say the Lamai Wanta is suitable for just about anyone except if you are looking for luxury and pampering. Location close enough to the main street for easy access to dozens of restaurants and hundreds of stores. Yet no sound or disturbance from traffic etc. Our rooms were facing the garden but located in the back of the lot, closest to the street.

Room Tip: We had rooms on the ground floor. I think we would prefer that if to stay there again. Easy access a...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank BFredheim
Belgrade, Serbia
Reviewed August 15, 2012

You cannot go better on lamai beach for this kind of money then Wanta. Located in the hart of the action on a very quiet street right on the beach! Grat breakfast, good pool but who needs a pool when such a lovely beach in 10m away? Good room, helpful staff.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank kostam
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed August 12, 2012

From lovely staff to fantastic location, my friend and i stayed at Lamai Wanta for 6 nights and loved it. Our room had a double bed, day bed, TV, DVD player and bathroom with shower. All you need when you are spending your days at the beach or exploring the island. The staff helped us with our requests no matter how unusual. The massage hut and drinks hut (with great fruit shakes) are right on the beach. I would not hesitate recommending this resort and i would stay here again.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends