“Excellent economy resort in Lamai”
Review of Samui Beach Resort

Samui Beach Resort
Ranked #22 of 51 Hotels in Lamai Beach
Reviewed February 20, 2014

This resort is one of the lower priced of its kind in the town of Lamai. It's nearly walkable to town, but far enough way to enjoy piece and quiet. The resort itself is long and narrow, with a small stretch of beach along the ocean. The resort offers a restaurant and a pool along the beach. Rooms are of 3 or 4 different categories. Budget rooms are in a hotel like building (where I stayed), duplex units are between the beach and the budget rooms, and the oceanfront rooms that are newly constructed which offer an ocean view and are poolside. The budget room I stayed in did have a dated bathroom. And as one reviewer noted, a water pump can be heard and birds are often chirping. I had the end room, room 111, and probably could hear these things the most. Like the other review, my room was immediately near the staff quarters. That said, the water pump can mostly be heard in the bathroom. It's slightly audible from the bedroom, but it didn't bother me nor do I think it will bother most people. The staff were quiet, the noise from their area was nil. The birds mentioned were chirping throughout the night...that said it was no different than the other 2 hotels on the island. Neighboring noise was not a problem either, I didn't think the walls were that thin and the adjoining room was occupied.

The staff is great. The restaurant is very reasonably priced considering it's owned by the hotel. I only had breakfast and it was very good. As others have noted, John (the manager) is fantastic. He's from England, so communication is not a problem. He's the reason this resort gets a perfect score from me. Regardless of what I needed (even if it was a service he didn't provide, like laundry), he helped.

If you're looking for a budget resort this place is great. Keep your expectations in line though, this is not ultra-luxery.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank freekboy

Reviewed February 20, 2014

My husband and I stayed here for four nights in December. We got lucky because we actually decided to come one day prior to our booking date and they had one room that did not show so we were able to get the room as they were fully booked for the night. The staff was very friendly and we met the manager whom let us rent the motorbike the first night for free! They gave us great suggestions on tours or activities to do while in Koh Samui without really pushing us to do anything. We ate at the hotel's restaurant a few times as the portions were large and yummy for a good price. The restaurant/bar is located directly next to the pool overlooking Lamai beach which was beautiful. There was constructions going on directly by the pool and restaurant so it was loud, but we knew of this as we read reviews before booking. It Did not bother us much as we did spend a whole lot of time in the pool anyways. Lamai beach however did have a large drop off just a few feet from the shore unlike Chaweng beach, so we didn't swim at the beach either. We didn't realize until after we went to the Grandmother/Father rocks that we could have walked the beach to the rocks it was so close! Overall, the staff and location were great.

We booked the room with A/C and were glad we did as it blew very cold during the hot days. The room itself was clean but, the bathroom had such an odor that I did not want to go in there. I would constantly hold my breath while using the toilet and I took very quick showers. The smell really ruined my stay.The shower did not stay warm very long, maybe 2 minutes max. Also, when we booked we asked for one large bed, but instead got two bed pushed together so my husband and I basically slept in two separate beds because if we were in the middle, you were sleeping on the crease of the two beds. The beds could use an upgrade as I could feel the springs underneath.

The hotel doesn't have 24hour receptions which is odd for me, but I noticed that in our other hotel on Ko Phangnan. They should really invest in some porch lights or anything throughout the middle of the walkway. They were constructing a new sidewalk while we were there so hopefully that is the start for some lights. It was so dark when we would walk back to our rooms after coming back late, which made it scary for me.

Overall, the staff, location was perfect. Hotel seems to be making the right steps to making their hotel better with the construction. We will stop by next time to see the changes.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 20, 2014

We stayed here for 4 nights. Warm and friendly welcome upon arrival. The staff were amazing. Large nice room but bath room needs a refurbish. Its smell really bad that we scared to go the bathroom. Very nice pool area and location on the beach is perfect. However there is still a construction going on right next to the pool. We were very unlucky. All in all, it's not all that bad. Service is friendly but I do think there's a lot of room for improvement. Good luck.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank 689laml
Reviewed February 13, 2014

Stayed here for three nights. We had one of the fan rooms, but still plenty cool. The rooms were all very clean, but they did not have a refrigerator. The property is right on the beach with the pool overlooking the shore. The view was excellent. Near the Grandfather/Grandmother rock formation. There were lounge chairs on the beach and the bar let you check out beach towels for free. Good specials at the bar especially for happy hour. Easy to rent motorbikes or book tours. Near the markets and restaurants in the Lamai area and not too far from Chaweng if you want to venture out.

Room Tip: If in one of the fan rooms, keep the curtains closed during the day to keep things a bit cooler.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank HELOAmanchester
Reviewed February 13, 2014

The hotel is divided in bungalows and rooms. We've got a deluxe bungalow and we did not know it has comunicating door between us and the next door bungalow. And you can hear everything. We did not have noisy neighbours so it was ok but you never feel completely confortable cause you have to be carefull, you can hear even the zip of the bags opening. The room it's a decent size and also the toilet. It's not really cleaned, standard for Thailand, and they give you only one towel. One day the towels that were on the floor were put back on the rack. The restaurant has good drinks and good food.
The pool area it's nice but the pool chairs should be cleaned more often and also the surroinding area.
Nice restaurants around the area, I would recommend Kokomiko for their beaf and thai food.
Overal it's ok for a realxing holiday. By the way Lamai it's not a nice beach and neither i's any of the beaches in Koh Samui. For nice cleaned water you have to rent a boat.

Room Tip: If you can get bungalow with pool view their new and look very nice
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Visitors1973
Reviewed February 11, 2014

I stayed at Samui Beach Resort for a week in February. I had an amazing time visiting the sites and chilling on the beach at the Resort. The staff were amazing, especially John who went out of his way to make sure we were enjoying our stay. I would highly recommend a stay here and will definitely be returning in the future.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 29, 2014

We were 2 girls staying at the hotel for 5 nights, and we absolutely loved it. It is beautifully located by the beach, in a nice, quiet area not for from the more lively parts of lamai. We enjoyed the nice sunbeds by the baach, the cool pool and super friendly staff. The food was good (especially the bbq buffet) and the boys in the bar made us some excellent drinks. We would like to give special thanks to John for being so helpful and friendly during our stay. We are planing on going back to Thailand in May, and if we end up at Koh Samui again we will most definitely stay at Samui Beach Resort!

Room Tip: We stayed in room 504, it was perfectly fine for 2 people. It is super close to the beach, pool and...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends