“truly awful - stay anywhere else.”
Review of Samui Beach Resort

Samui Beach Resort
Ranked #21 of 51 Hotels in Lamai Beach
Reviewed December 17, 2013

i rarely give awful reviews as can mostly find the good in a place to at least give a balanced view. I cannot on this occasion say anything good about this resort.

- i booked for 13 nights, of which my first 6 were to be spent alone. they clearly gave me the worst room from the off as i was placed in a room directly next to the staff quarters, where they all keep exotic song birds that do not stop singing, even to draw air. it felt like i was living in the middle of some beserk bird colony.
- my next room had a broken air conditioner, door lock and shower
- my third room within my first 24 hours was apparently an 'upgrade' to a bungalow with a half finished bathroom, and an airconditioner that was more of a fan to say the least. two massive spiders the size of my hand were great companions.
- the entire front of the hotel on the beach is under construction from morning til late, none of this was explained at booking or at check in. the pathway through the length of the resort is being paved with cement & builders everywhere, it truly is like living on a construction site.
- my bungalow neighbours spent 3 nights entertaining two thai ladies LOUDLY in their room and on the balcony between the delightful hours of 12am - 4:30am, fuelled by copious amounts of alcohol and the rest. this resort should be advertised as a backpackers paradise not a quiet / off the beaten track hotel.

all of this would be understandable or tolerable if it werent for the rudeness of the reception staff. every request is treated as though asking for the donation of a kidney & yet it is the resort with some explaining to do.

absolutely never again.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank nicolecostello

Reviewed December 12, 2013

My friend and I stayed for a week at Samui Beach Resort in November 2013.

We had two different rooms, due to an electrical problem: The first couple of nights we stayed in one of the Superior bungalows, which was a nice room with A/C, balcony and a good (but dark) bathroom.

After a thunderstorm knocked out the electricity to half of the rooms we were upgraded to a luxury honeymoon suite that was twice as big. It had a dining table, a sofa and was located next to the restaurant, the beach and the swimming pool.

There were a couple of issues with the honeymoon suite: The entire front of the room is a south-facing window, so it got very hot in the afternoon, and in order to have some privacy you need to keep the curtains drawn all day. There was also a minor problem with sewage odour in the bathroom, but that was solved by turning off the fan.

Wifi was alright until the power outage which knocked out most of the access points, but that's probably fixed by now.

The beach was a narrow strip of land, maybe 20 m across, and due to weather the deck chairs were only out the first day. It is not a big problem as there are also chairs by the pool side

Room Tip: At the moment (November 2013) they building a new wing a the end next to the beach/swimming pool, so...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Cod66
Reviewed December 10, 2013

My wife and I stayed at Samui Beach Resort for 14 nights in Dec. We were paying £11 per night for the room. The room was clean and tastefully decorated, had TV and fan. It was serviced daily, the bathroom was clean and shower hot. We had 3 rooms during the 2 weeks, the best was room 15. Staff were very friendly and helpful at reception. Good location in Lamai, quiet but on the beach, We hired a scooter (200 baht per day) from them. The restaurant was fine for breakfast and some dinners - right on the beach. There was some building work but not too much. Internet was great (when working) but 10 electricity outages was a problem! Highly recommended - especially Deab and the team on reception!

Room Tip: 14 & 15 best!
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sheryl A
Reviewed December 7, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed at Samui Beach Resort for 4 nights from 1-5 Dec. The room was clean, serviced daily. Bathroom was ok, clean but the shower drain was a bit blocked so took a while for the water to drain. Staff were very friendly and helpful. Good location in Lamai, woukd recommend hiring a scooter (150-200 baht per day).
We were more interested in getting out and about, seeing the sights and checking out the other beaches so opted to stay here to save on accommodation costs so we could spend more on food and scooter hire etc. If you're of the same mindset then Samui Beach Resort will be fine for you, if you're looking for a flash resort, this is not the place.
We spent some time in Chaweng which was great, but preferred the beach at Lamai, tide doesn't come up as high which makes it easier to walk along the beach to find lunch/dinner etc, the atmosphere at Lamai is alot more relaxed
Can't complain for $18 NZD p/n!!

Warning: There was a huge amount of construction happening during our stay which is likely to continue for the next few months, they did upgrade us to an air conditioned room on account of this.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Heidi M
Reviewed December 6, 2013 via mobile

Where do I start ' from the time we checked in to the time we checked out ' every thing was spot on 'the manager the Dutch lad I forgot his name but was so helpful to us which mad us feel at home ' plus the staff were so nice when you get to know them ' 110% recommended us two Irish lads enjoy every minute of our stay ' thanks to staff and management we'll never forget our time here

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 2, 2013

I loved this place and would stay here again. Good value for the money. The pool overlooks the beach, there were lots of loungers, good food, friendly staff, clean room, and only a 15-20 minute walk down the beach to get to the action of Lamai.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed November 25, 2013 via mobile

I would recommend samui beach resort to anyone travelling to samui on a budget. I had a fan room which was very basic, but for the price I was very content. There is a nice pool overlooking samui beach and a nice restaurant and bar. Also a few local cheap dining options within walking distance. You can hire a scooter from the hotel if you want to get around samui as its not that close to the centre of Lamai. The staff here are very friendly, but the reception is only open from 8 am - 9pm.
There is currently construction going on at the resort and I had a room right next to the construction, was noisy during the day but was fine, no construction at night so slept like a baby.
This is no 5 star resort, but I was very impressed considering what I paid.... it was clean comfortable and on the beach. I will stay again without hesitation.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo