“Whether You Visit or Stay It's Worth It!”

Beach Republic The Residences
Ranked #4 of 50 Hotels in Lamai Beach
Shenzhen, China
“Whether You Visit or Stay It's Worth It!”
Reviewed January 4, 2013

Let me start by saying, if you haven't been to Thailand just know that the Thai people are kind and hospitable just about everywhere you go. At Beach Republic the management team has done an excellent job of incorporating this cultural Thai trait into their training...their staff is excellent!
The three of us stayed in a Deluxe One Bedroom Suite. It was a spacious room with a large balcony. We have a finicky four year old eater so the well equipped kitchenette came in very handy. The room had everything we could want and was stylishly furnished in modern decor. The free in room wifi worked MUCH better than another Koh Samui resort where I had previously stayed and paid for the "privilege" (wifi should be free). If there is one improvement they can make to the room we stayed in, I would say that the lighting over the bathroom mirror could be better...so minor that when my wife put on her make-up at night she didn't even mention it.
We ate the breakfast buffet every morning, had dinner off the menu a few times, tapas a few times, and I had their Wednesday Night Asian Buffet. Overall the food was good to excellent. They also run a happy hour every night from 5 to 7 where you can buy 2 for 1 drinks. Great for couples who have similar taste! They will even keep your second drink cold if you're solo.
The pool/beach area is very nice, see the pictures. They have two regular pools and one "kid" or sitting pool. This area is all about atmosphere. It can at times be described as club like, but in a kind of comfortable family way. There is music or a live DJ at the pool area any time of day, and although the music is not soft background music it also isn't too loud or obnoxious in any way. The DJ they have is excellent! Usually "couples resorts" and "family resorts" don't always mix that well, but at BR the music is what seems to bring it all together. We never felt out of place or like our son was disturbing anyone with his sometimes loud pool play. The beach is small and at high tide nonexistent, but it has great boulders scattered around the in the sea and on the beach, and is a nice strip to walk along. There is also a boardwalk close by that extends a nice distance into the sea.
One warning for those that find public nudity taboo, there are some women that sunbath topless. We personally don't find that kind of thing a problem, but because this is a family review I felt it is worth mentioning.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Reviewed January 3, 2013 via mobile

The staff are very friendly, awesome management team very organised. Beautiful pool area, had a dj also in the pool area, felt like we were in another world. Must visit this place if not staying at this hotel! Great food alao, Very impressed!

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank Mscoch81
Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed December 30, 2012

Stayed here for 3 nights at Tropical pool villa.Rooms are spacious & the facilities are good.Consistent WiFi access & the complimentary iPad for room guest is very handy especially with teenagers around. Friendly staff and very helpfull. We were served sweet dessert every evening during our stay .The children love the private pool.
Definitely, we will come here again !

Room Tip: Check in the villa if you are with families.
1 Thank KL_Faiz
australia
Reviewed December 27, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for 5 nights at the start of December 2012. We arrived on a Sunday afternoon flight from Phuket and our driver was there to meet us. We had no sooner left the airport when we were offered a cold drink from a cool box: bottled water, fizzy drinks or beer! A very good start to our stay.
After checking in we strolled down to the Beach Club which was a-buzz - laid-back music from the DJ, guests swimming in the pools (two side by side) or just chilling on a sala or day-bed after having enjoyed the famous Sunday brunch and drinks. The spread at the buffet had everything from fresh oysters to Spanish jamon. Unfortunately we were too late to eat but we sipped cocktails and enjoyed the vibey atmosphere.

We had a standard room on the first floor which had a kitchenette and a very well stocked bar. Everything was spotless including the bathroom. The view from the large balcony has nothing to recommend it but this was not an issue for us as it was mostly too hot and humid to sit outside and we were aware of this feature (or lack thereof) before we booked. A nice touch is that 2 complimentary deserts were placed in our fridge each evening. An ample supply of free bottled water was also placed in our room each day.

We found the staff pleasant and helpful and the pool attendents were always obliging.
Breakfasts were a feast with options galore. The beach in front of the hotel was clean and we often swam in the sea. The best part was that there was hardly anyone passing by in front of the beach club and we never had beach vendors hassling us. It was such a relaxing place - we spent all but one day lying on a sala (canopied daybed) relaxing in the shade, staring out to sea when not reading or swimming. Happy hour cocktail in hand was a great way to watch the sunset by.

The food at the restaurant was really good and imaginative. Wine, like everywhere in Thailand, is expensive. Koh Samui has a reputation for excellent restaurants and from The Beach Republic all parts of the island can be reached within 30 minutes by taxi, so it is definitely a good idea to try out some of these eateries on the island.

During our stay, electricity to the island was disrupted due to damage to the majority of underwater cables from the mainland. So the limited power was distributed on a rotational basis to different parts of the island for 4 hours per day. This did not impact on us as the hotel has its own generator but I imagine that there are hotels which do not have this back-up and it must have been unbearable for those guests. Thankfully our air conditioner still worked!

We look forward to another stay at this hotel in the not too distant future.

Room Tip: If you can afford it, a private pool villa is a good option.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank suziqoz
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 26, 2012 via mobile

We stayed with the hotel for 4 nights in the middle of December, on arrival I would say the drive up to the hotel is a little disappointing, the reception is small however we were greeted with a drink and a warm smile and taken to our room, which was clean and spacious, the view from the balcony is disappointing but the pool and beach area certainly make up for that! I would say the hotel is a little confused on what it's trying to be, a hotel or a trendy bar, ocean club etc, sometimes the pool area in the day is a little intimidating, at one point I counted 10 staff pushing drinks menus on the guests, all quite expensive and a 10% service charge added, like most guests I'd recommend the beach bar on the beach next door for a cheaper option in the day, breakfast was good varied and plenty if it, we had a late check out and didn't keep the room on and the spa provided to us to change and shower was good, and helpful. I'd defo recommend the hotel for friends, couples etc however I certainly would suggest it for families etc

• Stayed December 2012
2 Thank Danikenyon
BeachRepublicGM, General Manager at Beach Republic The Residences, responded to this review, December 29, 2012
Thank you for choosing Beach Republic and for taking the time to write a review here. It is quite an innovative concept that we are pursuing here where the resort comprises both a hotel and a well known beach club (rather than the typical quiet resort style pool area open only to hotel guests that can be found across the island). We do understand that there is an opportunity for some confusion, but overwhelmingly the feedback that we are receiving is positive. The hotel offers top of the line rooms and villas while the beach club provides a stunning setting, mellow grooves, and a great atmosphere. As far as the 10% service charge, this goes directly to our hard working staff and is standard at all 4 and 5 star properties across the island. It is actually quite necessary in order to secure top notch staff. Thank you again for taking the time to leave your review here. We look forward to welcoming you back to Beach Republic again soon!
Sydney
Reviewed December 12, 2012

Stayed here for 4 days 3 nights from 1/12/12 to 4/12/12 with my brother.

After reading the positive reviews on Trip Advisor and viewing the Beach Republic website, I made a booking through Hotels.com on 18/10/12 for a Club Suite with 2 single beds. My brother and I were due to meet up with our sister for a sibling holiday in Koh Samui, so we were very excited about being on the island. We were also looking forward to a slice of “affordable luxury” at Beach Republic.

CHECKING IN:
We arrived at reception at 11am. Despite requesting 2 single beds in the booking made on 18/10/12, we were shown to Room 215 which had a double bed configuration. After pointing out that I had requested a room with 2 single beds, I was informed all the twin bed Club Suites were booked out. In addition, I was told by Ann that the booking did not contain a request for 2 single beds and that it was my own oversight. Ann offered to bring in an extra bed for no charge, which we initially accepted with reluctance. She also offered an upgrade to a 2 bedroom villa for over 4000 baht per night – I declined. After connecting to their free WiFi, I was able to double-check my booking preferences and guess what? I definitely requested 2 single beds. I called reception and told Ann that the request was made and that it was unacceptable that it was overlooked. After Ann spoke to the manager, I received a more reasonable offer: a complimentary upgrade to the 1 bedroom Private Pool Penthouse. Even though the Penthouse only had 1 king bed, it had a massive L-shaped leather sofa that my brother was happy to sleep on. We were told that the new room would be ready at 3pm, so we ventured out for lunch. We returned at 3:45pm and the room was not ready! From arriving at 11am to finally checking into the 1 bedroom Penthouse (Room 331) at 4:20pm – we waited over 4 hours. Not a great start to the holiday.

ROOM:
The 1 bedroom Penthouse (Room 331) we stayed in was a definite upgrade from the Club Suite but again, there were problems. Signs of wear and tear (and perhaps lack of maintenance?) were everywhere to be seen.
- Massive gaping hole of 1 metre in the ceiling directly outside our room. There was a bucket under the hole to catch the rain water. Not a good first impression for the new room “upgrade”
- Mould was growing on the tiles surrounding the outdoor pool
- The fabric on one deck chair was mouldy
- Peeling paint
- Cracks in walls filled were fixed with a poorly done job of plaster and paint
- Supplied towels such as face washers, hand towels, bath towels and beach towels smelled as though they weren't fully dried before being folded. Supplied bath towels were of cheap quality and were "threading" on the edges. On day 3, the new bath towels came with brown stains.

OTHER NEGATIVES:
- The Club suite we were initially shown had at least 6 mosquitoes buzzing around.
- The club suites and penthouses are located in a 3 storey building that is dark and dingy. The stair ways were full of mosquitoes. If like me you prefer to use the stairs instead of the lift, beware of being bitten by mozzies.
- Weak water pressure from the rain shower head
- WiFi only worked on day 1. On the morning of the 2nd day, access was denied. I brought this to the attention of the staff at 4pm on the 2nd day, and was told that they would reset the router. By 10pm, access was still a problem. I called reception and a female staff member arrived to troubleshoot, but could not fix the problem. She stated that an engineer would fix the problem the next day. Days 3 and 4– still no access. Highly inconvenient.
- The gym was out of order for the entire duration of my stay: apparently it had sustained rain damage. Out of their control perhaps, but these matters should be fixed ASAP because guests should have full access to hotel facilities.
- In my opinion, the breakfast selection was below average. I have never looked at a hotel’s breakfast spread before and decided just to drink fruit juice and eat cereal and fruit. The usual selections were there e.g. sausages, bacon, toast, cook-to-order omelettes (my brother tried one and it was very bad), noodles, rice, pastries etc but they looked overcooked and lifeless.

To Beach Republic's credit, there were several POSITIVES:
- After expressing my disappointment with the bedding situation several times, we were eventually given a complimentary room upgrade. A special thank you to Ann for facilitating the process graciously.
- Staff were friendly and did their best to be helpful. Communicating in English was not a problem.
- After breakfast one morning, I headed to the beach but forgot to bring my bag (containing money and mobile phone). On my walk back to the room, a staff member (I do not know her name) who had served me at breakfast time returned the bag to me. Thank you!
- The beds and pillows were super comfortable – a dream to sleep on!
- There is a nightly turn-down service
- The “manifest” is delivery nightly. It was an interesting read and was handy because it included the weather forecast for the day ahead.
- The Ocean Club has a swanky feel. I thought the use of red on chair cushions, beach beds etc is very striking indeed.
- There are fresh juices on offer at breakfast time.

OVERALL OPINION:
In the end, we got good value because we paid $300 for 3 nights for a Club Suite but were upgraded to a 1 bedroom Private Pool Penthouse for no extra charge. But, my brother and I could not enjoy our stay at Beach Republic from the get-go because of the administrative error, the long wait period for us to check in to the room, the WiFi problem, below-average breakfast and the gym being out of order. There was general wear and tear and also some serious maintenance issues (the giant hole in the ceiling outside the front door!) in the room we were staying in – our stay in Room 331 was not luxurious at all. Overall, I would not stay at Beach Republic again because I think tagline “affordable luxury” is an oxymoron. If you are actually after luxury, go elsewhere.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
BeachRepublicGM, General Manager at Beach Republic The Residences, responded to this review, December 16, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments here. We apologize for the administrative error at check in and we understand the inconvenience that you were caused. While still very nice, the room that you were upgraded to was scheduled for minor maintenance and had actually been closed to new bookings. Again, I apologize for any inconvenience in this regards.

During your stay, Koh Samui was declared a disaster zone by the government and tens of thousands of tourists rushed to escape during three days from hotels that were without electricity and running water. I’m pleased that with our generator, the supply of electricity and water was not interrupted at our resort during this time. During this time the internet went down for the entire island of Koh Samui - all 3 of our high speed internet feeds were unfortunately affected and this was beyond our control. The section of the roof that was damaged by the extreme storm - this has now been repaired.

While the gym was being refurbished we arranged for guests to use the fitness center at the neighbouring hotel - I apologise if you were not informed that this was available for you. Beach Republic truly offers a fantastic product and I hope that you are able to return to enjoy it soon.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed December 11, 2012

1) We were upgraded to from the Club Suite to the Superior Club Suite free of charge upon arrival and this included air conditioning, a kitchen, extremely comfortable queen size bed (with a pillow menu), lounge area, gorgeous bathroom, outdoor jacuzzi on the balcony, outdoor dining set, and 2 sunbeds on the balcony too. The TV in the lounge looks relatively small in comparison to the space behind it but that is my only detail I could possibly point out.
2) The customer service from the resort staff was superb. We received complimentary pick up from our previous accommodation in Chaweng and return transfer to the airport upon departure. The rooms were spotless and serviced daily and we received a little dessert each night which was lovely. There were a few blackouts on the island but the resort has a back up generator that kicks in immediately. The generator did need a rest after operating for some period and the staff were very apologetic and offered us some candles during the off period. However the were unnecessary as the main power came back online. Wi-fi worked consistently while in our room although there wasn't wi-fi throughout the resort. The restaurant staff were very nice and efficient at their job and the buffet breakfast was really good. An iPad is offered free of charge (just need to ask at reception). Part of our package included a complimentary 30min neck and shoulder massage and to be fair it was the best I had received during my 3 week stay on Koh Samui. The prices of the spa services are on par with western prices but fantastic to experience.
3) The location of Beach Republic is on the northern end of Lamai Beach which wasn't far from the town of Lamai to walk and the resort offers a complimentary shuttle to Lamai at 11am (return 2pm) and at 6pm (return 9pm) and also a one way shuttle to Chaweng at 4pm. Songtaews are easy to catch from the main road and fairly cheap.
4) The restaurant and beach club was really nice and relaxing with a dj playing some very chilled tunes. Perfect for happy hour from 5-7 with 2 for 1 cocktails. Cocktails in my opinion were a little too strong for my liking. It would be nice if the staff were trained in making cocktails that were more balanced and therefore more enjoyable. The sunsets from the daybeds at the front were incredible and beautifully scenic.
Overall, I can't wait to stay here again!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Pavilion Samui Villas & Resort
Lanna Samui
Lanna Samui
#2 of 186 in Bophut

Been to Beach Republic The Residences? Share your experiences!