“Great beach location...average room.”

Thai House Beach Resort
Ranked #7 of 51 Hotels in Lamai Beach
Reviewed December 30, 2013

We booked a Deluxe Family Double with breakfast at the Thai House Beach Resort for 5 nights at the beginning of our vacation.

In summary, stay here for the location on the beach. The rooms are ok/average, at best. There was never much hot water in the evenings and the bathroom fixtures were not maintained. Our bathroom faucet never really shut off and the lever to flush the toilet was chipped and barely got the job done. Despite the room, we would probably go back if we got a good deal. We enjoyed Lamai beach as compared to Mai Nam and Bo Phut where we also stayed on this trip.

Pros: great beach location and easy walking distance to the main Lamai shopping/ restaurant street. Very convenient. Hotel lounge chairs right on the beach...but get there early as people claim their spots for the day pretty early. Room was a nice size since we opted for the family room which had a small day bed that we used to dump our stuff. Breakfast was also decent; however the centerpiece was certainly the beach as the restaurant sat right on the beach so you had a wonderful view every morning. Staff was nice and courteous.

Cons: Average rooms in need of maintenance. Be careful of the location as the first room they tried to give us was on the first floor had a view of a wall (no kidding)! Well, to their credit, they moved us to a second floor with garden view - which looked much better after seeing the first room. Not much privacy, though, as the balcony looked upon the hallways to the other rooms so people were constantly walking in view of our balcony. Additionally, scooter rental was a more expensive than outside (which I don't mind); however I would expect some quality control for that extra charge. The scooter we got was a bit worn and had problems starting. Mind you, I understand that these are all subcontracted out; but again, I would expect that they do some basic quality control before accepting on behalf of their customers for the premium that they charge.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed December 30, 2013

the hotel is totally perfect to stay when you are on thailand trip
the best hotel in thailand this is what i think
the staff is too frank
the room service is awesome
the food is tasty
and the best thing is location
the best location of hotel you ll ever have in thailand
near to beach
little bit costly hotel
but totally worth it
must must must visit

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed December 22, 2013

The resort looks exactly as in the photos. The beach is beautiful and cleaned twice daily by the friendly staff. I was never in want for a chair, but get there early in the morning (6-7am) to save one right next to the ocean. The included breakfast buffet is plentiful - my gluten-intolerant partner had all the eggs, bacon and fruit he could eat. The pool is very nice as well and warm in the evenings when the ocean has cooled. The grounds are really impeccable. There are some stray cats and dogs that run around - they're healthy and friendly and it's fun to watch them play.

There are absolutely no mosquitoes on the beach. There are some in the gardens. I got bit only once - ONCE - in my three-day stay, with no bug spray or anything.

Hawkers frequently walk along the beach selling everything from fresh cut fruits and ice cream to pedicures and hair color treatments. They're not irritating, and most will politely leave you be once you refuse their services. I wouldn't recommend getting a pedi or massage from a beach hawker as you've no idea where those tools have been. Reputable places are only a few minutes walk away.

We ate at the Thai Spices restaurant on the resort twice during our three-day stay. The food is slightly higher in price than the restaurants you'll find on the nearby main road (3 mins walk!) but I felt it was far more delicious. At night, they set up tables right on the beach - get there early (around 6pm) if you want one right next to the ocean.

For dirt-cheap thai food (40-50 THB), there are food stalls about a 10-15min walk down the main road.

There is quite literally a thai massage place every ten feet on the main road. You shouldn't have to pay more than 250 THB for an hour of thai massage. The hotel does massages right next to the beach as well, if you're willing to pay more. We made a point of making all our purchases in cash to avoid risks and hassles.

We stayed in a small room on the second floor. It was enough space for two to be comfortable, was quiet, and had a balcony facing away from the resort which was thus private. The furnishings were a bit worn out, but kept clean. The shower had some mold in the grout and could have used a deep scrub with a stiff brush, but any familiarity with the climate here will tell you that a bit of mold is hard to avoid. The "queen" bed was actually made up of two single size mattresses that had been put together in the queen bed frame. It wasn't luxuriously comfortable, but you'll do more than enough napping on the beach anyway. We had fresh rose petals and a beautiful display sculpted from our towels when we arrived. They delivered fresh fruits with our turndown service the next day. They also provide 2 complimentary bottles of drinking water each day.

There was decent wifi in the hotel room and in the lobby - it didn't quite reach the restaurant or the beach, which is a shame.

You'll hardly need transport, as massages, restaurants, spas, and tour agencies are all within walking distance from the resort. If you find you need a taxi, take one from the main road to avoid the hotel markup. There's also a spot to rent mopeds just in front of the hotel.

We had a terrific stay - certainly didn't regret choosing this hotel. We'll be back.

Room Tip: Spring for a villa, if you want a feeling of luxury.
Reviewed December 16, 2013

After a trying time at this hotel, I thought it best to post a review. As one who travels often, I never felt the need to post a review, whether the service was terrific or terrible. That's my greatest regret, by doing a disservice to many of the great hotels I've stayed at and also the untold number of tripadvisor guests who would've read them and had another reason to visit. After this latest experience I certainly appreciate all the wonderful members who have taken their time to write a review. The truth is, most people don't take the time to praise a hotel when things are great but are quick to post a negative review. Unfortunately, I've fallen into this category. In terms of the room, I stayed in one of their villas which was fine for my needs. Although smaller than expected, the room looked modern and was fairly clean. I had no issues with the room until I woke up the next morning with several spider bites all over my body. Most disappointing, it wasn't just confined to myself but also my girlfriend. Aside from that, there was a huge puddle of water that I hadn't noticed and slipped and fell in the room. The water was from a leaking air conditioner in the center of the room that was dripping water the whole night while we slept. Fortunately, I didn't injury myself other than a small bruise. That evening, we decided to have dinner at the hotel and when the check was presented they had dynamically converted the check to us dollars as opposed to being charged in Thai baht without my consent. If you travel often, you understand that this is a ploy by businesses in order to make more money by giving you an extremely unfavorable exchange rate as opposed to the standard bank rate you would've received if it was charged in the local currency. After telling the waiter that I wanted the check, in Thai baht I was told it was the same thing and to sign the check. Upon letting him know that he was misinformed, he went back and spoke with his assistant manager who reiterated the same thing. At this point, I began getting upset and told the AM that I wanted the check charged in the local currency and to cancel the previous charge. He told me it could not be done and to pay what was listed. I refused and asked to speak with the manager. I was told the machine was broken and they couldn't cancel it and recharge it in the local currency. He then mentioned that he was the manager in charge and he wouldn't be able to help me. At this point I let him know that I would not sign the check until it was corrected and read him the disclaimer from the credit card receipt that clearly stated "you have the right to be charged in the local currency and by signing you have waived this right". At this point I was told to follow him to the front desk which I did. After he spoke with the front desk supervisor I was told to sign another receipt to charge the bill to the room, however I refused because they hadn't cancelled the previous charge to my credit card. I was told they were not able to tonight but should be able to when I checkout. At this point I knew they were lying as I had seen several people pay with their credit card during this 45 minute ordeal. Aside from that, if I had not been staying at the hotel and had dinner like many other guests at the restaurant, the option provided would be ridiculous since they wouldn't have the ability to charge the guests bill to the room. At this point, I realized it was pointless arguing with people and a business that is adamant about scamming their customers by trying to make money off the dynamic conversion. Based off their logic, if another restaurant customer had a discrepancy with their bill, they would be unable to cancel the original charge until the next day. Of course, this is great for their business as who is going to go back the next day to get this taken care of while on vacation. They understand that most tourists will just chalk it up to a loss and forget about it so this practice continues, uninhibited. My hope is that more people will understand what they're doing and speak up instead of getting ripped off by a company that truly doesn't care about their guests but only the bottom line. Its terrible that this practice will continue at the expense of their guests but hopefully tripadvisor guests won't have to go through this same ordeal.

7  Thank jamesintheoc
Reviewed December 4, 2013

I was here for my 30th birthday. They gave me flowers and birthday cake on that day. Hotel´s beach house was very nice, personal was always afebrile and helpful. Restaurant made good food, very tasty. Eating on the beach was romantic. Me, my husband and our friends spend here fantastic times......

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jana B
Reviewed December 2, 2013

The Thai House is nice - I wouldn't discourage anyone from staying here, but I do have a few thoughts to share in hopes it's helpful to others. My boyfriend & I splurged on the beach front villa for the final week of our month-long Asia vacation. We were disappointed to check into Villa E and see what I would call a "pool front view". Granted, you CAN technically see the beach, but you have to look past the hordes of people at the pool, all of whom can see directly into the villa (bye bye privacy). Luckily we were able to switch to Villa A on the 2nd night which is better. Most of the villas, though, are on the main walkway for people going to/from the pool, the beach, and the restaurant, so it's a tradeoff having all the window shades open for the views vs. privacy from other guests walking by. I was hoping for a little more seclusion.

I would personally opt (now that I know the island of Samui a bit better) for Bophut in the north or Thong Krut in the south versus the Chaweng/Lamai area which is very touristy, but that's just personal opinion. It depends what you're looking for here. On a positive note, we came home to our Thai House villa on my boyfriend's birthday to find a lovely birthday card and a personalized cake from the hotel. I guess they knew from the passport information. What an unexpected surprise! That was very classy and very much appreciated (even if I was the one who ate most of the cake)! Thank you for that, Thai House!

Room Tip: If you opt for a villa, check the location - some are better than others!
1  Thank MLF360
Reviewed November 28, 2013

Been there 3 days, 2 nights.
Nice room, with everything in it, you need.
Direct access to the beach, and also to the centre of the village.
Breakfast is good and also their Thai restaurant.
Staff is friendly and proffesional.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lieuwe17
Thai House Beac... K, General Manager at Thai House Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 30, 2013

Dear Lieuwe17,

Thank you for your time sharing your experience through Tripadvisor , your positive feedback is appreciate us and we are proud to be of your service .

Looking very much forward to your next visit to Thai House Beach resort and to provide you the best service once again..

Best regards,

#12 of 30 in Mae Nam
Sallamai Resort
Sallamai Resort
#1 of 51 in Lamai Beach

Been to Thai House Beach Resort? Share your experiences!