We arrived at Rocky's on an evening and first impressions - WOW - amazing! It is in a beautiful location and the resort, grounds and rooms have been designed and built to the highest and most tasteful of standards in contemporary Thai design. We were made to feel really welcome and taken to our gorgeous beach front accomodation which was filled with orchids and, again, wonderfully decorated and spacious.
We opened our front door onto the beach of a small cove which looked like it was right out of a bounty advert.
Of course none of this comes cheap at £220 per night including breakfast. Rocky's obviously pride themselves on their service - in the resort information pack the owner says he's visited hotels around the world and was fed up of bad service so he opened Rocky's as somewhere you could be treated as one of the family - a lot to live up to and they fail miserably. The staff are all friendly, willing and smiley - lovely people - what they obviously are not is well trained and they don't speak much English at all which leads to communication problems.
The food is really good, breakfast is a hot and cold buffet with everything you could ever want and all of a high standard. There are two restaurants - the Dining Room which is high end European/French style food and a Bistro which serves Thai and European and is more informal. Again, service is poor and haphazard - we waited 20 minutes to be served with Tea/Coffee at breakfast and had bad service at both restaurants and we really are not bothered about the odd error but we were given small bottles of beer when we ordered large (costs a lot more to drink it this way), an amuse bouche was forgottern so brought with our starters, they forgot which wine we ordered, couldn't understand when we asked to wait to look at the desert menu and then got the billing wrong by charging us for our and the next tables meals. It's not what you expect for the prices you pay.
This all sounds negative but we did have a great time at Rocky's and I am sure these problems are easily sorted with a few English lessons and a bit of training, it's a real shame cos Rocky's could be truly great.
There is another issue we had though - in 7 days there were 4 weddings. This means that the little cove in front of our accommdation resembled a building site and we were turfed off the beach at midday and couldn't really sit outside our rooms. Again, for the price they should at least have warned us. I recommend that if you stay there you request to be away from where the weddings are peformed.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Rocky's is a stunning boutique resort set in a secluded cove south of Lamai Beach, Koh Samui. With only 47 rooms and 3 pool villas, an award winning fine dining restaurant, a poolside bistro and two free-form swimming pools, Rocky's is the perfect place for a relaxing, romantic holiday. Rocky's emphasizes warm, personal service, attention to detail, and a relaxed family atmosphere. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Ctrip TA, Orbitz, Booking.com, Agoda, Hotels.com, Expedia, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Travelocity, Hotwire, getaroom.com, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Rocky's Boutique Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Rocky`s Boutique Hotel Lamai Beach
- Rockys Boutique Hotel
- Rockys Boutique Koh Samui
- Rocky's Boutique Resort Ko Samui/Lamai Beach