“Tranquil getaway”

Rocky's Boutique Resort
Ranked #2 of 51 Hotels in Lamai Beach
Reviewed June 25, 2007

My boyfriend and I stayed at Rocky Resort for 10 night in the middle/end of June and had a fantastic time. The resort is small, private and peaceful. The two pool areas, along with the rest of the resort, is beautifully designed with an eye for detail. The resort is a 20 minute walk from Lamai but can be easily reched by local or private taxis and it is about a 5 minute drive.

We stayed in a deluxe gardenview room which was on the hill above the restaurant and was therefore really peaceful and private. There were a number of steps up to it, and many of the other rooms and therefore I am not certain that I would recommend this resort to those with mobility problems or in a wheelchair. Our room did only have a walk in shower, I am not a bath person so I was quite happy, but this might bother some people.

All the staff were fantastic. They all spoke great English and were always happy to help. I would like the room maid to come and tidy up after me here, she was great!

My boyfriend and I loved the massages we had overlooking the beach which were fantasticallt relaxing. We also loved dinner we had in the sala which was very romatic and the selection of Thai food was great.

There are a couple of things that I would improve, all of which have been mentioned before. The food in the restaurant is fantastic but people should be aware that it does cost at least 3-4 times what you would pay in Lamai (I did love the pizza though). I also noted that the emphasis of the resort is the personal/family touch and although we were staying for 10 days none of the management came to introduce themselves, which I was not bothered about but it is what I was expecting. I was also slightly disappointed that the a/c turned off everytime you left so you returned to a humid, hot room. The a/c unit could also have done with being more powerful as sometimes it just didn't seem to get the room cool enough.

Having said all that would I recommend Rocky's to my best friend, absolutely. I left Rocky's relaxed and refreshed, which was the entire point for me.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank gwyn4940
Write a ReviewReviews (2,113)

Reviewed June 17, 2007

My husband and I stayed at Rocky Resort for 4 days at the end of June.

The rooms and grounds are quite lovely. Nice little touches throughout. Lunch and dinner is good, although pricey compared to restaurants outside the resort. Breakfast was okay, but left a little to be desired as far as choice is concerned. The beach is, as another reviewer put it, rocky. It certainly wasn't the kind of beach I expected in Koh Samui. That being said, the resort is at the end of Lamai beach, and if you go further up the beach a bit, the beaches are nicer. If you plan on spending most of your time at the resort near the pool, the surroundings are lovely. But if you want a great beach, then I would recommend staying somewhere else.

The service from the front desk and most of the other staff was very good, but I have to say that the service from the pool bar was not good at all. After the first night, we figured our luck might change with another bartender, but it didn't. They are incredibly slow, and seem to almost be bothered to help you. For example, my husband and I sat at the bar one evening (we were the only ones sitting there), and after sitting there for several minutes without being greeted, we asked for drink menus. We then placed our order, after which the bartender proceeded to finish his conversation with a colleague, put away about 15 bar glasses, wash the blender (we ordered wine), and then make our drinks. As I said, if it happened once, then it wouldn't have been a big deal, but the bar service was generally of that level the whole time we were there.

The resort is small, which is good or bad, depending on what you are after. But I just didn't find the "you're family" concept during any part of our stay. We saw the manager and owner sitting in the restaurant several times, and they never approached us or asked us how our stay was. This isn't a big deal to us, but I did find it a bit odd that the personal touch is a big part of their marketing campaign. Just because it's a small resort does not automatically equal a personal touch.

Not to be unduly harsh, however, the resort is very lovely, the pools are beautiful and the grounds are very nice. However, given the price of the resort, I expected the "wow" factor and I just didn't see it. Beautiful, yes, but I would probably choose to stay somewhere else next time.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TXExpat
Reviewed May 4, 2007

We arrived at Samui airport early in the morning courtesy of BA (Bangkok Airways) which was an unexpectedly pleasant experience in itself - they could teach the other BA a thing or two in service delivery!

After a modicum of chaos in the arrivals area in order to retrieve our bags we saw that Rocky's driver was there to meet us as promised. Transfer to the hotel was around 30 minutes. Check in was efficient and we were introduced to Luke and Collette who manage the resort on a day to day basis. We were slightly disappointed to find that our own villa wouldn't be ready until later in the day (if we had known this in advance we would probably have elected to catch a later flight) but they kindly arranged to let us use one of the spare standard villas for the morning.

Beachfront villas look out towards the sea, there is a path that runs along the front but we didn't feel that this invaded our privacy at all. All villas are furnished and decorated to a very high standard and come complete with TV, DVD player, mini hifi system, digital safe and a well stocked mini bar / fridge.

The standard villas are set back from the beach and are higher up, so if you book one of these you might find that you have some steep steps to navigate to your room. Not really a problem for younger people, but if you are not so sprightly on your feet it is something to be aware of. Whilst on this subject, I would say that people who have severe mobility problems should discuss their requirements with the staff before booking so that they can ensure that their needs can be catered for.

Rocky's is almost perfect. The setting is idyllic and the service we experienced was excellent. If I were to be critical, there were one or two minor things that were less than I would expect for accommodation of this price range: (1) maybe we were spoilt by the standards of the Shangri-La in Bangkok (where we had just stayed) but we felt that the mattress and pillows on the bed could have been a little more sumptuous, but this of course is a very subjective opinion. (2) We found it irritating that locking up the room meant that the air conditioning got switched off. So upon returning later, instead of walking into a nice cool atmosphere, we had to wait 10 minutes or so for the a/c fan to do its stuff. Remember, this is a tropical area, it is almost always very hot and humid so this sort of thing is important to some people.

There are two excellent and constantly maintained swimming pools, one by the bar which of course was the most popular, and the secluded garden pool which was set higher up and is surrounded by tropical trees and foliage. We preferred this pool as it was in a more tranquil setting. If you need a drink or snack, there is a telephone nearby and the bar staff will bring whatever you need up to the pool.

Rocky's carry out a widescale anti-mosquito spraying of their grounds at regular intervals and we didn't have any problem with mozzies during our week there.

The beach at Rocky's is, well, a bit rocky. Pleasant to look at, but the sand is a bit sharp on the foot, more like fine shingle in places. If you want to spend some time on a more sandy beach, Lamai is just a few minutes taxi ride away.

We had elected to go for the 'luxury relaxation package' which basically means a daily massage and a visit to a spa. We found that this wasn't really worth doing and the appointments can end up interfering with the rest of your day. In Thailand you can get a massage almost anywhere so I would say that it's best to keep your options open.

There is one other factor which needs mentioning. The menu, service and setting at Rocky's is nothing short of excellent, but we found that despite there being many people staying at the resort, the restaurant and bar area were almost deserted in the evening. Why was this?

Well the answer is simple. The prices reflect the high standard of service and quality, but compared to what can be had down the road, they are astronomical. So after a couple of nights we too decided to take a five minute taxi ride to the centre of Lamai, where you will lose count of the number of lively bars and restaurants available and dinner can be almost as good at a fraction of Rocky's price. There are some excellent restaurants to choose from in Lamai, so I recommend that you experience Rocky's fine dining if it is a special occasion, and let your money go further for the rest of the time in Lamai. We also noticed that there seemed to be quite a high mark-up on day trips etc., if booked from Rocky's, so my advice is just stick with the basic package and sort out any extras directly. Also, if you are buying currency, do not do it at the hotel - their exchange rate is terrible compared to the bureaux in town.

I always recommend that you get a hotel bill statement every few days just to ensure that you don't end up with any nasty surprises when you check out, and this is particularly the case here. Watch out for those ++ taxes, they can sting.

Would I go there again? Yes, once I have run out of other places to visit. Would I recommend this hotel to my daughter for her honeymoon? Absolutely emphatically YES. Would I recommend it to families with young children? Probably not!

Tip #1 try to get as early a flight out of Samui as you can. This is because the air terminal is pretty basic and is NOT AIR CONDITIONED - a few domestic fans is all that there is. Even at 7am it was pretty uncomfortable so any later than that must be unbearable!!

Tip #2: you can get a pretty good tailoring service in Lamai. If you get a suit made, be very specific about what you want. For example, if you don't specify a designer label lining, you won't get one. Number of buttons, number and type of pockets, etc., all need to be agreed. But you can get a great tailored suit made for about £100 and they are just as well made as any Saville Row one (as long as you have sufficient fittings and don't do it as a rush job). Don't forget those tailored shirts either.

Tip #3: If you allow a taxi driver or other agent to refer you to a tailor, be aware that you will be paying around 30% more to pay for his commission. This is probably the case for anything else that your taxi driver takes you to.

Tip #4: Keep lots of 20 or 100 Baht notes on you at all times (for tip money). It's better to not tip at all unless you can tip at least 20 Baht.

Tip #5: Never, ever, under any circumstances, make any comment about the King or the Buddha that could be interpreted as being disrespectful.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled as a couple
12  Thank Ace_Reviewer
Reviewed May 2, 2007

We went to Rockys for a week or so as part of a trip around Thailand. The boutique resort was beautiful. The swimming pool and surrounding area really were stunning and the private beach was lovely too. The restaurant food was over-rated and not great and the atmosphere was non existant. The owners appeared eager to please, but when it actually came to doing anything about it, nothing was done. Two days in a row no one came to clean our room, which was absurd. There were several other niggles that made this stay slightly frustrating. There is an Ozzie guy called Luke who works there and to be honest he was totally awesome: very friendly and will do anything to help. He made the stay very easy and welcoming. Apart from that, we wont be going back again, I am afraid to say. I would give this resort 3*, although I know it has no *s at all at the moment. It is not good enough for a 4*.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank phish_100
Reviewed April 22, 2007

I cried when we landed in Samui Airport and I cried even more going down the drive to what can only be described as Heaven on Earth.
We spent 5 days in Samui for our Wedding. We got married at a Villa in Lipa Noi, but stayed at the Rocky's. The service and staff were absolutely amazing, the food in the hotel was amazing but the grounds, the rooms and furnishings were out of this world.
We only wish that we had have stayed there for the whole 4 weeks instead of moving on to Phuket.

The day before the wedding I spent three hours being pampered by the staff, nails, massage and other wonderful treatments.

We don't generally return to places year after year, but we are going to book for February and this time we will be spending the whole holiday at the Rocky's.

You have to go there yourself, words and pictures do not do the Rocky's justice !

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MrandMrsSinclair
Reviewed March 22, 2007

My wife and I stayed her for our honeymoon for 9 nights. We had booked 1/2 a year in advance, and I had to change some dates for double bookings. Later I was asked if I could switch my room for a wedding that was comming in for a couple of days. I decided that this would not be possible, as the reason for booking in advance was to accomidate our honeymoon. Thestaff were happy to keep us where we were originally booked and were understanding. This was however, frusterating and conserining prior to our arrival.. Once we arrived we were picked up from the small airport by a friendly individual. The first night I had a private dinner arranged, and it was fantastic. We enjoyed the facilities, and there was a large wedding group there while we stayed. Unlike some other reviews we did not feel that the staff payed us any less attention. They were busy with the large party, but were very pleasent, helpful and conserned that we were taken care of. On the other hand we did find that being in the middle of a large wedding party was at times awkward. Most of the people in this party were quite friendly, however there were a few comments made about us not switching rooms. This however was out of the hands of the Rocky Staff. We stayed in the honeymoon suite, which is fantastic. There is a panoramic view of the ocean from there, and it is at the end of the property. A huge washroom with an outdoor style shower, a comfortable bed, safe everything you need. My wife and I have a very fond memory of Thiland and this resort and would return here. We hope to one day bring our kids. The food was fantastic, and the breakfast each morining was great --- loved the palmellos. The Beach was not great for swimming, but you can find that not to far away. We rented a jeep 2 days to travel around the Island and had a great time exploring local markets and areas. We ended up doing some great out of doors activies off site. This resort is not on the main drag, and if you want to be in the heart of all the action don't stay here.... On the other hand my wife and I loved it as it was far enough away from the action to have some quite times, but close enough to take a tuk tuk (taxi) into town. I would recomend Rocky to both families and couples.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled as a couple
4  Thank TEMS1647
Reviewed March 20, 2007

This was my 5th trip to Thailand and my first time staying at Rocky's. I can definitely say that Rocky's was top notch from start to finish. The courteous greeting was only the beginning of our magical time there. The orchids placed on our pillows and the artistically decorated flower vases outside our room were a mere example of their attention to detail. We felt accomodated in any way we needed and were lucky enough to join the Chinese New Year celebration. Once more, Rocky's made the experience unforgettable. I initially booked here because my other "favorite" place was full, however I can say without a doubt that Rocky's is truly my new favorite gem. I feel so fortunate to have shared in the classy Rocky's experience and I hope to return very soon.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled as a couple
#2 of 103 in Chaweng
Sea Dance Resort
Sea Dance Resort
#5 of 184 in Bophut

Been to Rocky's Boutique Resort? Share your experiences!