“A little Gem!”

Rocky's Boutique Resort
Ranked #2 of 51 Hotels in Lamai Beach
Reviewed June 27, 2010

We recently returned from a 1 week stay at Rocky's and already cannot wait to go back!
From the moment you arrive to the moment you leave, the staff are exceptional - friendly and extremely helpful. The room we had was fantastic - it was large, clean and very comfortable and the air-con was spot on! The bathroom was one of the nicest and most spacious we have had and the whole suite was spacious with great ocean views and lots of natural light.
The facilities at Rockys are equally fantastic - there are 2 beautiful pools and the pool bar and restaurant served amazing drinks and food. We had an amazing time and when we return to Thailand we will without question be returning to Rocky's.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,084)

Reviewed June 24, 2010

I wasn't going to write a review because I could add little to what has already been said, but because of an issue with our tour operator and the way the hotel management dealt with the problem, I thought it was worth mentioning, and thought I might as well put a few pointers as well!
Being a travel agent and having been lucky enough to stay at many hotels around the world, I can honestly say the the staff at Rockys are the most friendly, happy and attentive bunch I have ever encountered. Nothing is too much trouble, from the gardening staff to the management you really do feel as though you are 'part of the family'.
The grounds are attractive and kept to a high standard. The rooms-we stayed in a large junior suite ocean view room-are superbly appointed and spacious. Unfortunately they were closest to the building works but I will come on to that in a second.
The restaurant offers excellent food and most of it is reasonably priced for the quality-try the pad thai kung for about £5.00. I would recommend going out to try the local restaurants too and can recommend 'sabiengLai'. Go out of the hotel, turn right and its about 500 yards on the right after the pink 'Mercure' sign. Here you can have a huge fresh grouper or a large king crab for about £13 or a fried rice of any type together with a sweet and sour dish for about £3 to £4.00 !!! Bargain! and the spring rolls are to die for! Also they do a large singer beer for £1.25 compared to Rocky's which costs £4....HOW MUCH??!!
Anyway back to the hotel........I heard a complaint from someone moaning about the beach. Do your research!! and don't come here if you want powdery white sand and crystal clear waters. The hotel is called 'rockys' and that should give you a clue! I would class the beach as 'poor' and you can get better beaches back in the UK.
Also this resort in NOT child friendly. If your child would be bored by sitting around the pool all day then you would need to consider this fact.
Another tip......We did all our holiday laundry at the shop across the road before we came home. They take it, wash it and iron it if you wish and the whole pile cost us about £4.00.
Go out of hotel turn left and its on the right after about 25 yards.
Right, finally to the reason for writing this review.....building works!.....These have just started to the rear of the resort and they are building new rooms, a bar and a new swimming pool and should be finished by December. If you have a room on the beach or by the beach you shouldn't really be affected too much, although you can still hear it by the pool but it's no real problem. If you wanted to use the 'top' pool then I reckon you should take some ear muffs! If you have a room at the back of the resort-such as we did, then be prepared for heavy lifting gear and digger noise. But again it really only affects you if you are in the room. Your holiday shouldn't be spoiled if you spend most of the day by the beach or bottom pool. The works starts at 10 am and finishes at 7.00 pm.

The main reason for reviewing this hotel is to say how disappointed I am with our tour operator. I won't name them but if you are coming here with a UK operator, you will know who I am talking about. I believe they, err, lets say 'mis-lead' us with regard to when the building works were due to start. If I had known the works would have been in full swing on day one of our holiday, I would have gone somewhere else(because the size of room I wanted was closest to the works). So Uk tour operator...SHAME ON YOU..The hotel management/owners deserve massive credit in rectifying this matter to my satisfaction and at their own cost through no fault of their own. For this a HUGE thank you to Henrik-sorry I got your name wrong at the start!!

I would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel to anyone. It really is a stunning looking resort with the best staff I have ever encountered.

I have been contacted by many people since my review was posted over last weekend and I would like to clarify a couple of points. This hotel deserves 5 stars for its service/rooms/staff/facilities. I took a star away because of the building works. The noise from these works is noticeable from most locations in the resort but at a relatively low level if you are in rooms nearer the sea or relaxing around the bottom pool.. But I do want to point out that if you are allocated away from the back of the resort then the noise really shouldnt be too much of an issue. The rooms that are mainly affected are the sea view junior suites as I previously mentioned and also the family suites at the top of the resort. The resort is just so good in every way I will certainly still be sending my clients to Rocky's. If I was lucky enough to be able to go back again this month and asked the question 'would the building works put you off going again?' the answer would be: 'what time does the plane leave?!' Go and enjoy! I would never recommend a hotel that I wouldnt be prepared to stay at myself again and I never stay in a hotel twice but as far as Rocky's is concerened I may well break that rule!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TravelAgent1066
Reviewed June 20, 2010

As mentioned by most reviewers this resort is a beautiful place to stay if you want to be part of a small boutique resort with a friendly feel. We too were a little concerned about the building works, but we were lucky enough to have booked the beach view room and were not affected. The resort were doing their best to compensate by offering discounts on tour and car hire as well as making their presence known if you wanted to chat to them. I actually found this the most impressive part of our stay! At any given time there would be a partner or manager walking around and chatting to their clients - Nice touch! When we told locals where we were staying. most commented that Rockys has a great rep and were the envy of other resorts. We loved going down to the bar for pre dinner drinks and chatting to other couples or staff about our travels and discoveries! I second the recommendation for the seafood restaurant past The Mecure - great cheap food! We spent our other half of our trip staying at The Sarran - Another stunning find!

Reviewed June 14, 2010

Having just read the previous review I would concur with the remarks made about the building work. However, we too had a junior suite and found the room absolutely lovely, the interior design decoration was outstanding and the staff had even thought of providing sun hats and a beach bag. The hotel itself is select and the location is perfect, some of the rooms are situated in the garden area with a sea view and the others overlook the beach.
The staff at the hotel were extremely helpful and friendly and made our stay at the hotel a very pleasant one.
The quality of the food was outstanding, although expensive, but considering the restaurant is one of the best 5 restaurants on the island you pay for what you get.
However, we did eat at the local restaurant past the Mecure Hotel and found the food of excellent quality and very cheap and you could choose fresh crab or fish from the tanks to be cooked while you wait.
We booked some trips with the tour operator but found the trip by speed boat to Koh Toa a waste of time as there was little to see when snorkelling but coral and the number of boats of the day we went was ridiculous, it was like Paddington Station on a busy day, so dont waste your money because it was expensive.
We did a free trip of the island with a member of the hotel staff for half a day and that was worth doing, however the same trip through the tour operator would set you back around £80 and that I felt was also very expensive.
Overall we had a very good holiday experience and would highly recommend this resort.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 9, 2010

My son and his wife recently had their wedding at this great hotel. Invited all his friends and relations from the UK and NZ. The Hotel staff did all the organising and left us to enjoy ourselves. For your special occasion this place comes highly reccomended. Its luxurious, in a beautiful spot and the staff AND management are very friendly and helpful. These people really werk hard at making your stay a pleasure down to the cold flannels, fresh fruit and drinks served to your sun lounger around the pool. WELL DONE ROCKY'S see you next year for my son's first anniversary. Thanks also to the Guitarist in the Restaurant at night, great repotoire.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 9, 2010

Our Son recently got married at this Hotel. Great value. An ideal start to married life. The Staff and Management couldn't be more helpful. Everything was well organised which took a great deal of stress off the Bride and Groom. The setting is watch you would call 'Paradise'. The Accomadation was First Class and there was a good choice of both Asian and Western food and not expensive. WELL DONE ROCKY'S

Reviewed June 8, 2010

On arrival the staff were very friendly and helpful we were allocated the best view in the resort room 804.We went to the resort because it advertised fine dining.On sunday night we went to restaurant and had to wait 30minutes for our drinks and asked three times about this.Thai foo is very limited on the menu and is not good,it has been changed to western tastes which spoils thai food,it was bland and tastless and as we have been all over thailand we know thats not the case with good thai food.I had cause to complain to the manager about this and the fact the staff were more interested in watching the caberet than serving us,he was not happy and practically accused me of lying as he was present on sunday and could not possible see how this was the case,when I got this reaction from him I was taken aback instead of trying to apoligise he was the one getting an attitude.I would not recommend you go there for food or staff in resturant,all the other staff were great.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Rockys_Resort, Owner at Rocky's Boutique Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2010

Dear scotlassMoray,

So sorry to hear of your experience here at Rocky's. Unfortunately I didn't get to speak with you before you left. We take comments about service very seriously and I'm sure our FB manager was not implying you weren't telling the truth. We were just taken aback as we regularly hear nothing but praise for the attentiveness of our staff both in the restaurant or elsewhere in the resort. I'm sure there was some sort of misunderstanding, and of course we don't want to take away from your experience. We will most definitely ensure this will not happen again.

As to your comment about the food, we have recently launched a brand new menu. I believe you had your dinner with us the day before the new menu launched. The new menu is created by our new chef, Aziz, who is an award-winning chef and has cooked at some of the finest restaurants on Koh Samui. Sorry you didn't get a chance to try before you left, but I hope you will give us a second chance next time you visit the island.

I'm glad you enjoyed the rest of your stay with us and thank you for sharing your comments to help us improve.

Kind Regards,

#4 of 51 in Lamai Beach
Buri Rasa Village Samui
Buri Rasa Village Samui
#2 of 104 in Chaweng

Been to Rocky's Boutique Resort? Share your experiences!