“Beautiful resort, quiet and romantic”

Rocky's Boutique Resort
Ranked #2 of 51 Hotels in Lamai Beach
Reviewed April 12, 2014

Our family of four ( 2 adults and 2 kids, 11 and 13) stayed at Rocky's for 5 days. We looked for adjoining rooms but were generously upgraded to the villa upon arrival. The villas are beautiful and perfect for a group. There are two large bedrooms with king beds and the upper floor has two additional daybeds that can be made up for sleeping. There are 2.5 bathrooms. The decor is Thai and nicely done. The beds and pillows are wonderful and the AC and fans were a welcome break on hot days and nights. They have a large flat screen TV and many DVDs available at no charge. Wifi was free and strong everywhere on the property. There is a private plunge pool which was spectacular.

Note the property is built on a gentle hill. Our villa was in one of the highest locations and we were 240 paces from reception and that included 57 steps. It was fine for us but may be difficult for less mobile groups. If you have mobility issues or young children, you may want to talk with reservations when you are discussing room options.

The breakfast buffet is nicely done, if more European than American. There are fruits and breads and a choice of a la carte menu items.

There is a kids room for younger kids and a pool table but I would position the resort for the more romantic couples audience. It was quiet and peaceful. They indicated that the resort was largely full but I would guess that there were less than 5 rooms with kids. While we felt welcome, if you have rambunctious kids or expect a more lively atmosphere, you may want to look elsewhere. Loud kids, at the pool or elsewhere, were noticeable.

The grounds and pools were lovely with the pictures of the resort quite accurate. It's beautiful.

The staff is friendly and plentiful. There must be close to a 1-1 ratio of staff to customers.

There is a shuttle into town several times a day although the last one is at 5pm. If you are looking to have dinner in town, you will need to catch a taxi back. Otherwise, there isn't a lot close to the resort. Walking along the main road is possible but the shoulder isn't wide and has some risk especially at night from the frequent scooters.

We took the Josephine boat trip which included fishing, snorkeling lunch and beaches at a nearby island. The coral and visibility wasn't as good as Angthong National Marine Park but there were plenty of fish to see and we had an enjoyable day. Make sure to be prepared for plenty of sun!

As a family, we enjoyed Rocky's and we loved the villa. I would recommend it to others with a special emphasis to couples and romantic getaways. With families, they need to consider whether a quiet resort is the best choice.

Room Tip: The resort is a quiet property. I think all of the rooms will be quiet.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Marco W
Martin_Rockys, General Manager at Rocky's Boutique Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2014

Thank you for choosing Rockys, we are happy you enjoyed your stay you forgot to mention that we have a buggy for those less able, to take them up and down the resort. But we do of course have many rooms on or near the beach front.

There are newer reviews for Rocky's Boutique Resort

Reviewed April 11, 2014 via mobile

Where do I start... I stayed in rockys for four nights at the start of April as part of a family trip!!! The resort is stunning!! I had an oven view bedroom which was just beautiful! The staff are great especially Lucus the guest relations manager he went out of his way every day to ensure everything was up to high standards for all of his guests!! The hotel is spotlessly clean, staff can we seen working hard every day in such high temperatures to keep the resort clean. Rockys is a short distance away from lamai and the hotel provide a free bus service to lamai daily. I only stayed for 4 days but that definitely wasn't enough I can't wait to return to rockys in the future! Thank you rockys for helping me create new memories

Stayed: April 2014

Thank you, We love it when we get it right. Our staff are very proud of our resort, hence their efforts to keep it clean.

Reviewed April 10, 2014

Travelled to Thailand with my partner for two weeks sightseeing/meeting with family. Stayed at Chiang Mai and Karon Beach, Phuket, before ending our trip at the perfect destination of Rocky's Resort, Lamai Beach, Koh Samui. Stayed in a pool view room, with the pool about 3 metres from our door. The clean smell of the beach was a welcome relief from the hustle and bustle of where we were previously. From the moment we checked in to Rocky's the staff couldn't have been more friendly. From the top down service was excellent, greeted by Lucas, guest relations manager, who ensured that we were on track to do something every day, whether that be by lounging around the pool all day or taking up one of the activities offered by Rocky's. Went on a day tour of the island and also boat trip with snorkeling all organized with Rocky's and this beat having to go through tour agents at Lamai or Chaweng and then having to organize transport to some other part of the island to commence the tour. Price was very reasonable by comparison. Both restaurants are superb and there was always something different on offer of an evening. Grounds of this resort are amazing, the photos don't lie. The little things that the staff do demonstrate the attention to detail that is the reason Rocky's is so good. The room was a great size and well appointed. Sweet treats, turn down service, cocktail happy hour, a la carte hot breakfast as well as buffet style, late check out at late notice. Rocky's makes you feel that they value your choice in staying there. Probably will not get to Thailand again but if I do will be staying at Rocky's and would not recommend anywhere else for my friends. Only downside is the lack of a gym, offset by complimentary use of facility in Lamai about 3 ks away. Don't know that you could jog there given the heat and humidity, and the traffic.

Room Tip: Be as close to the pool as you can get.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank David S

Thank you, Lucas is indeed amazing, he really cares.

Reference your comments on the complementary gym membership in Lamai, you can take our free shuttle bus there and back.

Reviewed April 9, 2014

So difficult to put into words the natural beauty, elegance and perfection that this hotel offers its clients. We recently stayed there for a week and it was absoultely fabulous from the beginning to the end. We were so sorry to leave this place we came to call paradise. The staff are great, the hotel is spotlessly clean, the two restaurants offer delicious food, and Lucas the Guest Relations Manager engages all the guests with his charm and efficiency. I have nothing but admiration for the hotel and the staff that run it. Pure professionals making sure your stay is perfect in every sense.

Room Tip: We chose a junior suite overlooking the sea. The room is spacious and if you access from the car pa...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you,My guests services team are there to ensure your holiday is as perfect as it can be, We are so happy you enjoyed it.

Reviewed April 8, 2014

I recently returned home from 13 nights of luxury at Rocky's.
I actually had my wedding there and I really couldn't have asked for a better location. I initially chose Rocky's because I wanted somewhere that was family friendly, ( I have a 2 year old and a 4 year old) and because I got a good vibe from Ann the wedding Planner when I was enquiring with various resorts.
I am so glad I went to Rocky's because everything was perfect, we stayed in the Family Beach Front Villa, waking every morning to the beautiful view of the beach was just wonderful.
The staff were friendly and helpful, always smiling.
Ann was a wonderful wedding planner and our ceremony and party was perfect.
The resort is so beautiful, and they really do look after you.
I cant recommend Rocky's enough.
We will definitely be returning!

Room Tip: Rooms on the beach front are wonderful.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family

Reviewed April 5, 2014

I think my idea of Paradise must differ from others. In no part of my dreams did i experience the disgust of not being able to flush toilet paper and instead put in to a bin on the floor with previous visitors excretia covered tissues. I realise that the thai drainage system doesn't cope with toilet tissue but i would prefer a "bum gun" to the horror of getting someone else's poo on my hand today as my paper wouldn't sit in the bin properly. Yuk!

Toilet issues aside, the resort is very nice. Lovely staff, lovely and tidy surroundings, lovely food, lovely cocktails, lovely service all round. The attention to detail is top notch with an army of staff making sure that all the flowers are fresh, there are no foreign objects in the pools etc.

The staff are sweet and genuine, even when the language barrier gets in the way. It should come as no surprise that when there are at least six other languages spoken by the customers, the odd bit of confusion occurs. I tried buying the barmen drinks last night and instead got the strongest Mai Tai ever given to me. Nice!

The only other issue is that we booked to go on a "major jeep safari" through the hotel but the fact that an elephant ride, tiger hugging experience and boxing monkey show was included was not made clear. The tiger was de-clawed and drugged and the elephants were displaying stereotypical behaviour consistent with sensory deprivation. We refused to visit them but could see what was happening at a distance.

The jeep safari was fantastic though. The drivers are really skilled and can scare you without crashing.

On the whole we are happy with our stay and will recommend Rocky's to friends and family.

Room Tip: Our room, 405 has a thin door which allows the sound of passing guests to be heard clearly. I would...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank eel p

Thank you, I am confused over the toilet issue. Indeed we do ask that in some rooms you refrain from using too much paper, but not in any of the public toilets where other people have gone before. Kindly email me please.

Reviewed April 3, 2014

WOW where do we start? This place is an absolute Gem. My husband and I came here for the first part of our Honeymoon and enjoyed every part of it. From being welcomed in the traditional Thai manner, and being treated like royalty once we arrived. We got to the resort early therefore our room wasn't ready however we were able use all the facilities and they placed our bags away in a secure area. On arrival to our room we had a very special Honeymoon treat with a bottle of champagne, fresh flowers, fruit platter and the fancy towel setup as swans on our bed with rose pedals. Our first night we had the traditional Thai buffet for dinner and that was amazing, there was also traditional dancers performing whist dinner was on. This was a fantastic way to start our Honeymoon. The staff we more than happy to help us where ever possible, they assisted us with planning our tours for the week while we were there and arranged for them to pick us up for the resort. We do highly recommend Rockys Boat trip on their very own wooden boat Josephine! it is a must and the Captain is excellent!

Breakfast is amazing here. You have the traditional Buffet breakfast to choose from but you get to order your main meal from the menu and they cook it for you. the menu includes; healthy options, eggs any style, pancakes a lot of types, and traditional Asian breakfasts, all overlooking the beautiful private beach you get to enjoy all on your own.

while sitting by the pool you will have your glass of water refilled all day and throughout the day you will be given fruit skewers to nibble on! AMAZING!

On a Friday night they have their cocktail night where they provide their signature cocktails FREE for an hour and they are so good. You are also introduced to the owners, managers and customer relations manager at this party. You really do feel like part of the family here!

This place is an absolute MUST if you are planning on coming to the beautiful Koh Samui.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tamarra F
Martin_Rockys, General Manager at Rocky's Boutique Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2014

Dear Tamarra F

Thank you for your review of Rocky's Boutique Resort and especially for your kind words for our Thai Night, Josephine boat trip, breakfast and luxury service.

We now have the weekly cocktail party on Wednesdays and we still offer our signature cocktails to our guests, for free.
Furthermore we have happy hour every day from 5 to 6pm. Buy 1 Get 1 For Free.

Our team is looking forward to your next stay with us.

With kindest regards,

Sea Dance Resort
Sea Dance Resort
#4 of 184 in Bophut
Pavilion Samui Villas & Resort

Been to Rocky's Boutique Resort? Share your experiences!