“Excellent resort - wrong island”

Rocky's Boutique Resort
Ranked #2 of 51 Hotels in Lamai Beach
Reviewed December 28, 2011

Positive: Rocky's boutique resort is definately one of the best resorts in the world. Rooms, service, atmosphere, detail, interior, food and friendlyness of staff. The decor of the rooms, the layour of the resort which blends in with the nature and luxury, is one of a kind. Thanks Ying and Kai for everything!
Negative: Koh Samui is not a snorkeling destination with white sand and turqouis water. You cannot snorkel around the resort or no where around the entire island. To snorkel you must make a trip which will take 2 hours per catamarang and in total one day of traveling for the excursion to other islands (snorkel max 2 hours during trip). The visibility in the water is 0 anywhere around the island, not only from Rocky's beach. During our excursion I fell 2 meters down below on rocks because a wooden bridge collapsed as i stepped on it. I was badly hurt and could have been dead. It took 6 hours before I could reach Rocky's resort (save haven) but we could not manage to report the insident on the island which it happened. I had to stay in bed for the last 3 days of my holiday due the seriousness of my fall. Please do not be misled - If you are looking for a quiet relaxing holiday in a luxury resort - choose Rocky's. If you want to snorkel of the beach - go to Maldives!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Villa which was amazing, but we are 2 parents with 2 adult children. Sea-view is n...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
5  Thank Christa J
There are newer reviews for Rocky's Boutique Resort

Reviewed December 22, 2011

2nd holiday at Rockys this year. though we have been 4 times now to Samui . have been visiting Thailand for 14 years now . used to go Phuket a lot but now too many Aussies, its the new Bali . Samui is great . (stay away from chewang though).Rockys Resort is superb , we have stayed at a lot of good resorts , Sheraton, Holiday Inn, Amari,Hilton to name a few . Rockys beats them all , this place is Family owned and operated and it sure does show . the rooms (we stayed in 614and 613) are excellent , they sure are not your average hotel room they are very roomy modern and beautifuly decorated,there is nothing more you could want for, they have thought of everything .The staff at Rockys are above and beyond World Class ,from the gardeners and security to the managers . they are so so nice and nothing is too much trouble to make our holiday complete.
THE FOOD ..... The food at this place is Devine , i cannot praise the chefs enough at this place , it is simply and easily the best food we have ever eaten either at home or abroad , there is no need to eat out anywhere else in Samui this place is THE BEST and very reasonably priced .
We love this place and look forward to returning again early in 2012.
Rockys Resort 10 out of 10 .
Thank you again to all the staff at Rockys Resort ,
Chris and Maree Kennedy and son Brad

Room Tip: We stayed in 2 rooms 614 (upstairs room ) and 613 (below) for my 14 yr old son this is called the p...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
5  Thank Chris K
Reviewed December 19, 2011

First and foremost, Samui is nothing exceptional. Just a bunch of cheap souvenir shops, mediocre restaurants, a bunch of shady massage parlors frequented by old men, and hundreds of stray dogs with mange. Unfortunately we hit Samui at a bad time when the national marine park was closed so no diving, snorkeling, kayaking...nothing. The water was a filthy brown color because of the flooding in Bangkok. Samui really needs to address a terrible problem with stray dogs as this was very disturbing to animal lovers.

We loved our room at Rocky's Resort, contemporary, yet a traditional Thai feel to it with a view overlooking the ocean. The breakfast buffet was exceptional, the best we had in Thailand...especially the lemon souffle pancakes are to die for. The bar by the pool was enjoyable, drinks were excellent. We had a "rocky" start at Rocky's maybe because it was low season...the staff wasn't very helpful with booking an onsite cooking class or massage at the resort. However, the manager, Boi, was very responsive to our concerns when we expressed our disappointment. Kudos to Boi for bringing in his massage staff so me and my friend could enjoy our massages together. We booked our Thai cooking class offsite at SITCA, and it was fantastic!

I would recommend Rocky's Resort if you pretty much want to stay on the resort and enjoy the amenities. It really is a beautiful resort. If you encounter any problems, management is responsive and will make sure you have a positive experience. I think if the marine park is open, the water activities would make a stay much more enjoyable. One tip...rent a scooter for the entire stay if you want to explore because cost of a taxi from Rocky's to anywhere on the island is 500 baht, and Rocky's is not centrally located.

On the downside, having traveled to many beautiful islands around the world, Samui doesn't have much to offer. I have no desire to return.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
8  Thank Suze_4070
Reviewed December 15, 2011

Samui as a whole is a bit of a touristy island not worth visiting except if you are staying at Rocky's. I understand why it had s many amazing reviews. Even though the weather wasnt great i really enjoyed myself. Just one thing - organise your own transportation to and from the airport.
Breakfast- amazing, a little buffet and then you order off the menu so your breakfast is freshly made
The pool - theres 2, and they are both lovely, theres no fight for sunbeds, they bring you round little treats and water just becuase they are so nice.
The people - out to please you whatever you want.
The free cocktails on friday night was so lovely and the staff made it their point to introduce themselves and show you around.
The food - was above and beyond anything i tasted in Thailand, superb.
The rooms - use of sunhats, beach bag, flip flops and oh did i mention the room was fab so nicely decorated and with a 'Modern Thai' feel to it.
At night - it was the most beautiful and enchanting place, i only wish i could have stayed longer.
romantic!!!!!!!!!!!! dont come here unless your a couple/family.
Only negative - is the main dining room was closed and we couldnt benefit from all the other events that we were looking forward to.
It is far out of the way, but who wants to visit chawang ?!?

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank CharLou F
Reviewed December 10, 2011

Beautiful boutique hotel with great pools, small private beach (with canoes for hotel guests' enjoyment), and really good food. The entire area smelled so fresh and flowery - fresh flowers were placed in various vases and bowls in front of the rooms and just all over the premises, gave it a very serene & relaxing vibe. Breakfast is served in a restaurant with the beautiful view of the bay. And breakfast dishes are art of work (and delish!)

I would really recommend it for couples or groups and not really for solo travelers. I felt a little out of place with staff asking me all the time why was I there alone....

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo
6  Thank Juli_B_traveler
Reviewed December 9, 2011

Me and my fiancé stayed here for a week in October to see my friends get married. We were staying in an oceanview room. The room was fantastic. It was clean and the decor and furniture really made you feel as though you were in paradise. The facilities were also great with two pools, two bars, and great grounds. We ended up spending most of our time in the resort as there was no reason to leave. Food and drinks were reasonably priced too. They organized and executed my friends wedding brilliantly and it will be one of the best weddings I ever attend. The highlight however was the staff. They become like family. They are always trying to please and will always stop what they are doing to say hello even if your just walking past. I ended up playing a lot of pool with the sous chef and two of the bar staff and my fiancé made some friends with the waitresses who we saw out at the green mango one night. Their breakfast staff were fantastic too and on our first morning one of the waitresses took the time out to teach us some Thai. If you want to do any activities then Tang at reception will do anything possible to help.
This is by far the best accommodation I have ever stayed in and it is nowhere near the most expensive. Next time I return to koh samui I will be going back to Rockys.

• Stayed: October 2011
2  Thank Roswellj
Reviewed December 9, 2011

We have just returned from a 10 day trip to Thailand, with 2 days in Bangkok and then 8 days on Koh Samui staying at Rocky's. Let me start this review saying that we booked the whole holiday through Kuoni and the service we recieved from them was absolutely 2nd to none!! I'm talking people meeting us at airports and taking us through check in, private transfers etc etc - it was just the most stress free and pleasant experience ever. if you are thinking about booking anything through Kuoni, I can honestly say, hand on heart - DO IT!! Especially Thailand, it was so good, and so extremely well arranged and managed. We had people at the airports totally lost asking our rep where to go, whilst they were taking us the quick way to check in, and getting us checked in - awesome!!

And if you are using Kuoni, then my 2nd bit of advice is STAY AT ROCKY'S!! We have travelled quite extensively now and try to do at least 1 big holiday a year, sometimes 2 if we are lucky. I can honestly say that we have never stayed anywhere as nice as Rocky's. It was absolutely fantastic!!

As some have mentioned on here before me, we were a bit surprised when we arrived at the restaurant was closed, however the resort has 2 restaurants, one on the beach (the main one which is NOW OPEN AGAIN) and one by the pool which they call the bistro. We ate from the Bistro every evening apart from one, and most lunchtimes. I can not tell you enough how good the food was - a clear 10/10. Absolutely amazing! I stayed with the Thai menu and I absoulutely LOVED it! With regards to cost, its about 250/350 a main mean (which comes with rice) so thats about £5 / £7 but it is of a really high standard and plenty of food. So you go home very very happy!! Now I was actually a bit extravegant and upgraded our room to a villa so we stayed in the lap of luxury, but one of the best things about rockys is that the room service is exactly the same menu and the same price - you just get to eat it at home! It was sooooo good!! I think we ordered room service maybe 5/6 times. Its absolute HEAVEN!

Saying that, the restaurant is now open again and when you drive around Samui you realise that the chef is somewhat of a celebrity - there are posters of him (at Rocky's) all over the place - he is even on the matches!!! Its literally like having Gordon Ramsay as your resident chef! Also to appologise for the inconvenience (which they really didnt have to) Rocky's also gave everyone staying over the last few weeks complimentary Sala Dinner which is basically a 3 course meal for 2 full of loads of mini dishes. You have 4 starters, 4/5 mains and then the puddings, all for free!! Great night!! Anyway enough of the food, lets just say I miss it!!

There is 2 bars, one by the garden pool (bigger pool) which is where we tended to go, and one by the beach. The one by the g pool is the main bar and is brilliant. Extremely well lit when its dark, and massively picturesque with the pool very close by and nice music in the background.. Its really really nice. They serve some of the best cocktails and a cold beer is always brilliant. The bar staff are really really friendly and come and see you if you sit by the pool, with cold water and towels etc in the day. Its a really really pleasant place to be, and not expensive.

The other bar which is down on the beach, has some of the best views ever. Rocky's have put some furniture out on the rocks and its a really nice place to sit and watch the sun go down. You are literally right on the beach and next to the beach pool so its very pretty.

Breakfast is included in the price at Rocky's and its not the usual free buffet food that is cold and soggy, you actually chose it from a menu and then you can add to it with fresh fruit etc which is available. It is very very good.

With regards to the location which is what people mention a lot. The resort is what they call a Boutique resort and is outside the town. However it is a 5 minute walk from Lamai. Literally. Rocky's actually have a free shuttle bus at 11, 2 and 5 and what we did is get a lift in (2 mins) and then walk back (past the Grandfather rock) which is literally just 5 minutes. I'm a big guy, and i feel the heat, but it is a really nice pleasant experience. To say Rocky's is out the way is complete rubbish.

If you're 18 and are looking for an Ibiza like holiday getting smashed every night till 6/7 in the morning, then Rocky's isnt for you and I would recomend Chaweng. However if you want a great resort and the possibility of going out 1 or 2 nights (as we did) Rocky's is great. Lamai itself isnt small - it must have 20-30 bars and some really good restaurants. You dont really need any more. We did go to Chaweng ourselves one night, and it was good fun - but I really wouldnt have wanted to stay there.

Finally the thing that made our holiday so great, and the thing which makes Rocky's fantastic is the absolutely amazing service that you recieve. Nothing is too much, everyone says hello to you, everyone seems to really enjoy their job and they are some of the nicest people you will ever meet. The resort is really well built and absolutely beutiful with Koi ponds and loads of trees and beautiful gardens etc. It goes from the ground keepers to the maids and cleaners, the restaurant and the bar staff. They are all so great. They really take the time ti talk to you and show an interest - some really really nice people - all credit to them. The resort is just so well looked after, its hard to believe. It even goes down to the fact that there are water features everywhere with flowers floating in them and twice a day a lady walks round with a basket and changes them. Its just sooooo nice.

So all in all an absolutely brilliant holiday which I cant say enough about. If you are thinking about staying at Rockys and have a few other places that you are considering - book it. It is by far the best resort there. We saw a few others and they look okay... some look half decent, but nowhere looked anywhere near as nice as Rocky's. Its worth mentioning that we did an excursion to Ang Thong marine park (which was absolutely amazing - you have to do that) and we picked up 5 other couples from resorts on Samui so we saw some other resorts, and they looked no where near as good as rocky's. When we were dropped off, the last 2 couples asked us how expesnive it was and actually went to talk to reception. It's that good!!

I would recomend Rocky's to absolutely anyone - freinds or family and it would make a lovely wedding venue. Fantastic place and the best people ever. You really wont regret it. Special thanks to Art who is the resort manager, he even took the time to come and meet us over a cocktail one night just to make sure everything was okay and everyone was having a good time - went well out of his way. Such great service. I would aboslutley LOVE to go back.

Room Tip: If your finances allow it, upgrade to a Deluxe Thai Villa - very special. Contact them directly to d...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
#4 of 184 in Bophut
Code
Code
#2 of 30 in Mae Nam

Been to Rocky's Boutique Resort? Share your experiences!