“Nice and Relaxing”
Review of Weekender Resort

Weekender Resort
Ranked #34 of 51 Hotels in Lamai Beach
Reviewed August 31, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at the Weekender for 5 nights. The resort wasn't fully booked due to the season, so it was very quiet, which wasn't such a bad thing. Facilities were good, but pools could have done with a little more cleaning. Staff were friendly. Day Spa prices were probably a little too expensive for the standard of the resort. Aimee at reception was extremely helpful. The beach front was perfect! Overall we had a very relaxing stay.

• Stayed: August 2013
There are newer reviews for Weekender Resort

Reviewed July 20, 2013

Back here for the third time now. Its been three years since my last visit, and seven years since my first. Checkin was nice and easy. We chose a room in the superior-building closest to the beach on the ground floor. The room is alright, not the greatest and not the worst. The bathroom was fair enough, nothing spectacular. A big problem in 2013 is the availability of power outlets. Usually you bring a phone and mac/pc/tablet or other gadgets that needs to be charged. If you dont want to disconnect the refrigerator, reading lamp or TV, you are stuck with only two. One by the mirror, and one in the bathroom. WiFi is also something you have to buy, but does not work in the room. Going out on the balcony gives you fair reception. There is two or three wall lizards in our room almost at all times. My girlfriend and I dont mind them as they eat small bugs and do us no harm. There are a lot of mosquitoes and other bugs in our room, probably cause we live on the first floor. A bigger problem is however cockroaches. One morning we found a large roach lying on its back, dying in the middle of the room. I put a glass on it and left it on the floor for the housekeeper to remove, so they were aware of it and maybe would like to do something about it. When we returned from the beach, the glass was back on its place, but the roach was only swept behind the door. I cant say for sure that it was the same one, but I bent one of its whiskers in the morning, and they were the exact same size. I have pictures of both of them. The cleaning in the room is not very good.

The largest problem is what I see many comment here, the staff is not very good. Management really needs to sharpen up for this place to work again. When I was here earlier years, the staff was mainly thai. Now they are mainly burmese and not payed enough. There is one receptionist speaking fluent english, but I dont know where she is from, she clearly has problems communicating with the rest of the staff. A good example of the internal lack of communication is when I left my shirts to the housekeeper in the morning for an express press. Very clearly stated. The shirts are supposed to be back the same night. When they were not back, I went to the reception, but they knew nothing. The had no idea of there whereabouts of the shirts or the order. The morning after they knocked on my door with some other mans shirts. I finally recieved my shirts, pressed like a 11 year old boys first attempt, and the plastic bits stiffening the collar missing. They clearly laundered them, cause I was charged for the laundry and express, even if the express wasnt on time and I didnt order laundry... Do not use the laundry service. Extremely bad and over priced. This used to be a nice place, now its below average. The hotels up and down the beach are always full, the beach here is almost empty. There are also litter on the beach and lack of sunbeds.

Room Tip: Go for the second floor and higher to avoid bugs.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 19, 2013

Stayed 6 nights recently in a poolside room. Room getting on a bit, glad we didn't pay the full card rate of 4100 baht, but location to the pool and beach was spot on. Brekky was the standard fare with about 5 buffet dishes , 2 changing each day. Egg station cooked to order. Fresh fruit, cereals and pastries, Coffee cona style, stewed for several hours..I dont know why hotels still bother with that old system anymore, its putrid. Weekender is well suited for families, , plenty of room for the tots to run about and even a small pool just for them. The main infinity pool is impressive but the lap pool was manky and dirty..we told the staff ( who were hard to find ) several times to turn the filter on but it fell on deaf ears. Special mention to Ahmie on reception , a lovely girl who made our check in an absolute breeze...then carried our bags to our room ( bellboys nowhere to be seen which I found odd given the size of the place ) Whatever they are paying you Ahmie its not enough !
Overall Weekender is a nice place, bit overpriced for a 3+star but does the job. Happy to recommend but check your room first (if you can) before you hand over your dosh.

Room Tip: We had 408 which has a view of the beach
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 15, 2013

I stayed here for a couple of nights as a break from dormitories on my travels. It was just what I had hoped for - modern spacious room with all of the mod-cons; great bath tub; fantastic infinity pool; massage tent overlooking the beach; yummy health drinks; great food; best breakfast spread I had in SE Asia! Kind and helpful staff at reception.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed April 10, 2013

we stay at the bungalow next to the beach and enjoyed the sea breeze in the morning and evening on the terrace. the pool is clean and the staff attentive. the breakfast is not top level but accetable.good position in the center of lamai beach with a variety of restaurant to choose in the vicinity.family oriented.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed April 2, 2013

We stayed at the Weekender in a balcony room at the street side. We had a last minute booking so it was either this room or a very expensive 'bungalow/villa'. We were very happy about our choice. We stayed with our 3 year old and we moved the 1 persons bed into the main room. Which is very very big! There was no noise from the street, because inbetween the room and the balcony there are 2 double glass doors (that's were the 1 personbed is located). It is nice to sit at the balcony at night and watch nightlife passing by :-) The hotel is clean and comfortable and has a great swimmingpool and great beach!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 29, 2013

The place looks deceptively good online. In reality it is awful. The grounds are trashy, in the worst section of the island. The rooms are dirty and smell like smoke. The beach is littered with trash. The clientele seem very trashy as well. We tried to get over the bad aspects, but after seeing the place our friends were staying just north of us, we grabbed our bags and checked out early. We were willing to lose the 4 nights we had already paid for. It was that bad.

I was in the Army and I've slept in some horrible places; swamps, dirt...I'd never sleep at The Weekender.

• Stayed: March 2013