“Dirty dingy dark” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #31 of 50 Hotels in Lamai Beach
Montreal, Canada
“Dirty dingy dark”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2012

This place is horrible and overpriced. The rooms are dark. They are really really filthy. They are in horrible disrepair. I wouldn't stay there even if it was one-tenth the price. Like everyone else who says this place is horrible, I booked ahead over the internet. And then they've got you.. and they won't refund you for you're stuck. Stay away.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank eavj

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
  • Czech first
  • Slovak first
  • Thai first
hull
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the weekender for 4 nights in October 2012.
The Weekender has many room types from very budget to upper class. We stayed in a Deluxe room. There are big, beautiful and clean. There is a large building at the back of the resort right near the road where the standard rooms are these were all getting a make over with a lot of building work going on at this block.
The Deluxe rooms over look the pool area and the beach. There is 1 big pool and 2 smaller spa type pools below it. They are beautiful and over look the beach.
As we visited in Low season they didnt have the full buffet breakfast every morning, we were able to order off a small list what we wanted. But breakfast was enough to start the day.
The grounds and garden is very well kept and clean.The staff were very helpfull and Nide arranged our transfers to Koh Phangan and we were picked up at the hotel and taken straight to the pier for our boat all tickets etc all arranged and I could not have done it any cheaper myself so it saved me a lot of time. So well done Nide it all went really smooth.
The hotel is in the perfect position in Lamai, there are so many shops and restaurants surrounding it that you never have to eat at the hotel if you dont want. There are night food stalls set up just a short walk from the hotel and they are amazing. The best and cheapest food we ate whilst in Samui. Make sure you eat there, you wont be let down.
Lamai is nice and quite compared to Chaweng its perfect for a relaxing holiday.Would stay here again if in Lamai.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2012

Was on a short trip and I chose The Weekender from the price per night, which was 2.400.

Some times I come across hotel staff that are, apart from having zero training in hospitality and service, so indifferent, arrogant and without any care at all for the guests. This is one of those places. I have been to hotels before, wanting to check in but walked out for the exact same as described. This time it was prepaid and it was a short trip.

I wanted Wifi which they provided for a daily or weekly fee but as I was about to pay for it, the 2 girls told me that some times it works and some times it doesnt work. Replied that if it didnt work, surely I would get my money back. But nono, as usual in Thailand, every where they push responsibility to someone else, this time the internet provider. So even if I pay at the reception, no refund it it doenst work. Thats is just NOT in any way acceptable !!

I needed access so bought a 1day pass at 100 baht. And guess what, it was of course an on/off
connection. What a catastrophe of a chosen internet provider !!

Then they say I can go to the lobby if I want to use internet cause there they know it works well. Asking if they thought I would sit in a lobby, with papers, notes and all, while being disturbed by all sorts of noise, the answer was.....'up to you'. Up to me !?!? This kind of stupidity and complete lack of feel for the situation can get me in the red and front desk personel like this can kill a hotel. I have seen that happen before.

Back to the stay itself.
Room was a Superior Classic which I believe are newer rooms than the Standard and Thai House, about halfway between the beach and the main road. Room was spacy enough, it had what a room needs with coffeetable, fridge, safe etc.

Bathroom was fine but with the shower in the tub, which I dont like. Either give me a showercabin and nothing else or the showercabin and a separate tub. Not 2-in-1.

Bed was nice and we slept like babies in a completely noise-free environment for the duration of the stay. Just the way I like it.

When entering the room on 2nd floor, stairs to this separate building are next to the parking lot which means not having to go thru the reception, not having to see those incompetent girls.

We didnt eat breakfast or any other meal at the hotel. Didnt spend a single baht which the hotel management can thank the front desk girls for.

All in all it was a very quiet and undisturbed stay. Room was actually better than I expected and the price taken into consideration (I have seen later that same room was up to 3.500baht/night) coupled with no interference and noise of any kind, I would have given this a very solid 4-star. Front desk takes away 1 big star.

Location is as good as it can be in Lamai. Walking distance to everything and with several 24hr convenience stores within 200 yards.

I would not shy away from staying here again for the same price I paid, if other options elsewhere were sold out.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank ArchStantonTh
Berlin, Germany
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012

It was the most expensive stay during our thailand trip. it has a nice private beach, breakfast was included but it was little onesided. towels, water roomservice every day. room smelled a little as we arrived. bathroom was not really clean. staff was very friendly. ac was really noisy. location is good. right at the center of lamai beach. pool is great. after all im not sure if teh relative hight price is worth it. i would not come back. just my 2 cents..

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Michal1337
Marcellus, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2012

We stayed in the bungalows for a little over a week and had a great time. The infinity pool was gorgeous and really made the resort worth it. The breakfast buffet was great and the server's were very friendly. I've stayed in dozens of four or five star hotels, and the pool and free breakfast were some of the best one's I've ever had, all for less than $60 a night! The resort was quiet and the staff was extremely friendly. We rented mopeds one day right from the front desk, and they cost about $6 each. It was fun to ride around, but definitely a little dangerous. The resort has an excellent location to the beach and to the bars.

Room Tip: The bungalows are the least expensive option, but they are quiet, secluded, and a pretty good deal.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank ChristopherHarding
Karratha, WA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2012

My fiance and I stayed at the weekender for 5 nights in October 2011.
The Weekender has many room types from very budget to upper class. We stayed in a Deluxe Classic overlooking the pool and I'd highly recommend it. There are big, beautiful and clean. I have to say the other rooms we saw weren't very nice and as fancy. There is a large building at the back of the resort right near the road that would have the cheapest rooms. And i'm guessing people who have written bad reviews have stayed in those rooms.
The grounds and garden is very well kept and clean.
Lamai is nice and quite compared to Chaweng its perfect for a relaxing holiday.
Dont let some of the bad reviews put you off this hotel, if you pick a Deluxe Classic Room or better you'll be happy with this hotel. Have a look at some of the photo's I've up loaded.

Room Tip: Make sure you book a Deluxe Classic Room
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank AlyshaB
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2012

Very nice pool area. Perfect beach just next to the pools. Friendly staff and good food. Clean rooms, but stay close to pool area and away from road. All together a great place.

• Stayed February 2012