“Romantic setting, lovely food”

Ocean Pier by Latest Recipe
Ranked #90 of 153 Restaurants in Lamai Beach
Cuisines: Seafood, Asian, Thai
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: Capture memorable moments and discover unique drink and dinner options on our 120-meter floating Ocean Pier with panoramic views across the Gulf of Thailand. Enjoy a romantic dinner on the ocean with our special Starlight Dinner, blending ambiance and gastronomic delight under the night sky.
“Romantic setting, lovely food”
Reviewed July 20, 2014

We saw this advertised in a magazine on our flight to koh Samui. When we arrived at the hotel we were not disappointed. The hotel itself is beautiful, traditional Thai style with a modern twist. We had arrived a little early so had chance to sit at the pool bar while our table on the pier was prepared. It was a little breezy and the staff we a little unsure if it would be a bit rough to sit out on the pier but to be honest we were looking forward to a little breeze as the heat made eating in most restaurants uncomfortable at times.
We were called down to the pier at 6:15 (reservations were at 6:30) and we are so pleased we were early, the sun was just setting behind the hills and the pier looked stunning. We watched the stars appear and enjoyed the pier exclusively for the whole four courses.
The food was lovely, a preset menu with choice of meat or seafood. The starter was nice but not spectacular, the seafood soup was tasty (not seafood lovers but tried it and were pleasantly surprised), the main course of beef tenderloin was beautiful, served on a mushroom risotto it was delicious, finally the dessert was one if the best I've ever had, a melt in the middle chocolate pudding with a fruit couli and vanilla sauce with ice cream -fabulous!
The service was great, the waiter serving us was very polite and despite the food coming from the kitchens up in the hotel it was nicely timed between courses and nice and hot.
As we finished our meal we stayed and had a few more drinks as other diners stared to be seated on the pier. By this time it was dark and the stars were out, the pier is lit by lamps and the bar has a neon glow but is tasteful. I would really recommend going that bit earlier to see it at sunset as I felt the other diners had maybe missed out on the best part by coming while its already dark!
Overall it cost around £120 for the meal and drinks but this was a lovely romantic experience and the best meal we ate on koh Samui.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank Jimbo2803

Taipei, Taiwan
“Amazing once in a lifetime experience!!!”
Reviewed May 22, 2014

I've never seen anything like this in my whole life...a floating dining experience in the Gulf of Thailand with incredible food and even more incredible service. My partner and I went in May 2014, and the nighttime breeze was just right. There were no others the night we did this, so we had the whole pier to ourselves, and the lighting and background music (from the floating bar nearby) was just right--modern, hip, and sophisticated--for my surprise proposal to my partner. The manager and staff were incredible, helping me "plot" the proposal, which involved champagne upgrade to Moet Imperial, the engagement ring hidden inside a special dessert (in addition to the dessert platter that came with the meal), a bouquet of red roses which was delivered to our table with my card, a Thai lantern sending off experience after our main course...and all of this free of charge. The best part of the whole experience was the personalized service we received from both the Food and Beverage Manager (who I could feel was just as excited as I was to make this happen!) and the service attendant (who helped me improvise throughout the night, to make sure my partner did not suspect a thing until the very last moment). And the food was excellent too! We had the Thai course, and each of the dishes were meticulously prepared in a way that fused Thai flavors with Asian tastes that felt unique and special for us (we are Asian and Asian-American). The dinner experience we had at Ocean Pier was truly a once in a lifetime experience, and was the perfect start to our life together...I could not ask for anything more. And when we got to our room after dinner, we were surprised to see two 'towel elephants' (bath towels shaped to resemble elephants) on our bed, with their trunks touching, encased by red flower petals in the shape of a heart...this was not requested by me and the staff just went a step further to make our night an unforgettable one. All stars were aligned for us that night, and I will be forever grateful to the staff at Le Meridien! Thank you!!!

• Visited May 2014
2 Thank AOAC18May14
New York City, New York
“Dont do it! A huge disappointment on our last day in Thailand”
Reviewed February 13, 2014 via mobile

Okay let me start by saying that the pier is actually gorgeous and makes for a stunning photo. Sitting on the pier with the breeze blowing through your hair and watching fish swim by in the crystal clear water is heavenly.

Now for why this is getting a " terrible" rating from me. Every Thursday the Meridian Koh Samui (a chain that we love and are extremely loyal too) hosts a "fresh BBQ buffet dinner" on the pier. In the morning during breakfast a sweet thai waitress came to solicit us for this buffet dinner which she said would be 200 ("2 hundred") baht per person. Right away we thought approaching us about dinner during breakfast was a bit annoying but the deal sounded reasonable so we decided to go for it.

When we arrived to the Pier at around 8pm we were confused to see no one else participating in what we thought was a good deal at 200 baht. After touring the buffet we saw that the food was mostly a soggy subpar salad bar and all the meat was overcooked and cold! The waiter offered to re-warm the meat on the grill but there was no chance of fresh BBQ. After watching my husband chock on an overcooked poor cut off beef I asked the wait staff to bring him something fresh. After 15 mins they came back with a thin piece of fatty beef barely a few millimeters thick and about the size of a large coin. It was rather laughable and he ate it in a single bite. The lobster was disgusting, not even cleaned and the prawn I picked up wasn't correctly de-veined. Only good thing was the lamb chop albeit cold. Still we thought for 200 baht even if we don't eat much and simply enjoy the ambiance its a deal.

The desserts were pretty good but thhey charged extra for coffee and drinks so we passed on those.

We left full but unsatisfied.

Later that night one of the hotel staff members sought us out to sign the bill and guess what??!! It was actually 2000 ("two thousand") baht per person!!! The waitress in the morning didn't communicate the price to us correctly (likely due to a language issue not a confusion issue). How ridiculous!! They insisted that we sign the bill but seriously that's over $100 USD for nothing! And they were charging extra for drinks!! I can't believe how much of a rip off it is. Who would go knowing to a below average cold food buffet for $100?! You can go to Vegas and enjoy a gourmet buffet fir that price.

A horrible waste of money and not a great ending to our trip trough Thailand.

We should have stuck to the Meridian restaurant "Latest Recipe". That's expensive at around 300-400 baht per person per meal but that's totally worth the price because the food is fresh and delicious. Not to mention you get essentially the same beautiful view as the pier.

2 Thank MariaPuraVida