“a real paradise”

Renaissance Koh Samui Resort & Spa
Ranked #5 of 51 Hotels in Lamai Beach
Reviewed October 11, 2010

very well maintained romantic resort. we had the bungalow with private pool, and we had nothing bad to say about th resort. The staff were very friendly, the food was good and the pool area is very inviting. Tips...take the shuttle they provide to chewang to save money for the night life and shopping...the taxi is about 400-500 baht each way. Book the buffet breakfast when you get your room..if not it is 25$USD per person. The beach is very shallow with little pieces of broken shells..maybe some water shoes would be good. Overall...loved it

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,247)

Reviewed October 8, 2010

We stayed at this hotel for 10 nights as part of our honeymoon in Thailand and can't rate the place highly enough.

We arrived late in the evening, following a stressful journey from Bangkok, taking in a train, 3 taxis and a ferry crossing! However, the stress just melted away instantly as we sat down in the beautiful reception area to check in, with a cold towel and ice-cold drink provided by the exceptionally professional and friendly front desk staff.

After a brief check in, we were whisked off to our deluxe room in the main hotel block - and what a great room it was. Very stylishly presented with white painted walls and wooden features, a huge bed with ceiling height fabric headboard, a large chaise-longue, separate toilet and wet-room with shower in stone coloured tiles, very powerful aircon and a spacious balcony with a jacuzzi!

We'd informed the Hotel that we would be on honeymoon and they had prepared the room ahead of our arrival, with swan towels and flower petals in the jacuzzi. Within five minutes of arriving, there was a knock at the door, with a complimentary bottle of wine to help us celebrate.

The hotel is located in a quiet cove, about halfway between the loud and lairy delights of Lamai and Chaweng beaches. It has a private frontage to the beach, with a fantastic three level infinity pool with views across the bay and plenty of atmospheric photo opportunities. Plenty of sun-loungers are available, all with towels pre-laid by the staff and big parasols for when the sun gets a bit too much. The grounds of the Hotel are another high point, there are lots of interesting features and a fantastic mix of plants and flowers. There is also a second pool, this is 50m long and usually empty, so is a good option for a bit of peace and quiet.

One minor drawback is that it is a little way off the main road, meaning a five minute walk to get transport to the strips, but the transport is frequent and relatively cheap. Expect to pay about BT100-150 to Lamai, BT200-250 to Chaweng on the open backed pickups that cruise the main road, a premium of about BT100 for a proper taxi (these have meters on board, but never use them!). The Hotel does run a shuttle bus to Chaweng, but you need to book it four hours in advance - which is a bit limiting and we never used it.

As you might expect with a Marriott resort, the prices for food and drink are not cheap (compared to local prices anyway), although they're by no means above what you would expect to pay at a quality Hotel. There are two restaurants on site, neither of which we used, so can't really comment on them! There is also a spa, but you may be better served by heading off to Chaweng and getting a massage on the beach for half the price!

The Hotel staff are extremely friendly and always happy to help out. The room was serviced very well, even when we left the 'please service room' tag out very late in the afternoon on a couple of occasions. As a nice touch, I'd mentioned in passing that it was my birthday during our stay. Imagine my delight when on the day, I was sitting in the reception area and over came a group of 10 staff singing happy birthday with a personalised cake!

All in all, we had a wonderful time at the Hotel and would happily recommend it.

Reviewed September 26, 2010

I stayed at this resort for one night with my Mother. Due to it being low season we were able to get some good deals at several resorts on the island. This was the worst of them and there are many better ones out there for the same cost. Here is what I personally didn't like:

1. The Resort is far away from anything, you cannot even get into Lamai easily. The resort runs a shuttle bus but only a few times a day. It makes it difficult to get around other parts of the island. It means you are stuck there so you have to pay hotel prices for everything rather than access local facilities.

2. Of everything THIS annoyed me the most. When dining at the hotel I asked for a bottle of water for the table. I asked for local bottled water rather than imported water (eg. Evian) and they told me they did not serve this and only did imported water - whereas every other hotel we stayed in did. In the shops a large bottle of local water is around 15-20 baht and a large bottle is around 75 baht. The bottled water at the restaurant was 280 baht. Such a rip off. I earn decent money but I hate being ripped off and things like this irritate me.

3. Staff beg for tips which again I really hate. The porter wasn't impressed with the 40 baht my Mother offered him (as she didn't have anything other than 500 baht) and asked for more. We both had to dig around for any coins that we had. In every other hotel the staff have not done this. All hotels added a service charge to their restaurants.

Anyway, those are my gripes. Take a tip and give this one a miss as there are many better and nicer resorts on the island.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank Natgazz
Reviewed September 12, 2010

Let's get the obvious stuff out of the way first. This is a very nice hotel in a very nice location with a very nice beach and very nice service. In fact, the best part of this hotel is the service staff. The staff at the hotel did everything possible to make our stay as comfortable as possible. They were consistently friendly, helpful, and always greeted us in that beautiful Thai way that makes you feel like a king. Fantastic. You will most definitely enjoy your stay at this hotel if value for money is not a concern to you.
However, since value for money is a concern to me, I will provide you with the reasons I will likely never return to this hotel.
It is to be expected in these type of resorts that there will always be a differential between the local price of everything and the tourist price of everything. I am mostly ok with this since the economy of these regions benefit from this differential overall. Tourism creates jobs and supports improvements to infrastructure, which benefits everyone. This take money and money comes from tourism, etc, etc. My problem here is that this hotel takes this notion to a whole new level. I am not talking about the price for the room, which is another matter. I am talking about the price of everything else, food, drinks, spa, Internet, transfers, etc. The prices of these items were exceptionally high in comparison to the "street price" ... in some cases by a factor of 5.
As an example of the extreme nature of the pricing one need only look at the Internet service pricing. Most hotels provide the service for free in common areas, and for a nominal charge in rooms. At this hotel, the price for three days of Internet access was 2400 Baht. This is about $110 Singapore dollars for three days of access. If you are spending Euro, that is about 65 Euro. When the price at the local Internet cafe is 1 baht per minute, this seems completely unreasonable.
Food and drink was another matter that seemed off the charts to me. For example, a beer cost over 200 baht; a cocktail was about 240 baht. Interestingly, there was a quaint little beach bar set up exactly next door to the hotel beach. The advertised price for beer was 80 baht. My point here is that there has to be a middle ground somewhere where value and price are at least within sight of each other.
In general, when I consider my stay at any hotel, especially a resort hotel of this nature, I like to think about a three-legged stool where value, comfort, and service make up the legs of the stool. If any one of these legs is missing or disproportioned, then there will be a problem with the experience. At this hotel, one of the legs is really out of proportion to the others making the entire experience feel awkward and unsatisfying. To balance the stool out, the other two legs must increase to come into line with value, or the value leg needs to be adjusted. Neither one of those two scenarios is going to happen so this hotel will always be out of balance; a pity actually. My recommend is to give this hotel a miss and choose one of the many, many other hotels on the island.

2  Thank DresdenDean
RenaissanceKohSamui, General Manager at Renaissance Koh Samui Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 22, 2010

Dear DresdeDean,

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to post a review about your recent stay at the Renaissance Koh Samui Resort & Spa and sharing your impressions with othrs. I am very sorry to learn about the negative experience you had and that you were not satisfied with the charges for internet and food & beverage offerings. I understand your disappointment about the cost of the internet, we are currently working on a solution with the current internet provider in which the current prices are set and to offer this service at a cost which reflects the actual market price. I am positive that I will have found a solution for this soon, latest by the end of the year, so we will be able to offer internet services to our guest at competitive prices. Additionally, as of January 1, 2011 Marriott will offer free internet access to Platinum and Gold Elite members of its Marriott Rewards guest loyalty program.

Regarding the pricing of our food & beverage services, our pricing is in line with similar properties and facilities on the island and we feel that we offer good value given our exclusive location, various facilities and professional service. However, in your case it appears we failed to meet expectations, and for that I am truly sorry.

Dear DresdeDean, thank you for your stay and your feedback which has been very valuable to me. I hope that my personal response demonstrates you that we care about your comments and that I am interested in providing you with a satisfactory response to your feedback. I sincerely regret that we did not meet your expectations in the above mentioned areas, should you choose to stay with us again in the future I will make personally sure that you will be provided with an internet connection at a cost you will be satisfied with. I sincerely hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you again here in Koh Samui, should there be anything else that I can be as of assistance with, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

With best regards,

LUTZ MUELLER | GENERAL MANAGER
lutz.mueller@renaissancehotels.com

Reviewed August 27, 2010

It was 6:30pm when we arrived to the hotel. After checking activities the hotel offered for the next day, we found interest on the activity named 'power walk', so we went to the lobby's reception and asked for details. Surprisingly no one knows what the activity is about because the responsible staff was off from work!! alright....we left it behind and book a Spa treatment for the next day then.....

Next day, we arrived to the Spa on time. No one at the Spa reception. We went back to the lobby's reception ..........they said that they didnt have any record on our Spa treatment booking...................

well, the hotel also has its good sides: wonderful room, great thai food (esp the breakfast), two swimming pools (one lap and one infinity), quiet and romanic environment.....

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sandylcs
Reviewed August 20, 2010

Quiet and service was good although we had a few issues at check-in.
Location was away from main areas and taxi's are not that cheap in Koh samui.
The hotel did provide a shuttle to Lamai and Chawang 3 times per day though.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JamGulAustralia
Reviewed August 16, 2010

We had a fantastic stay at the hotel staying in one of the deluxe rooms. The staff are very friendly and cater to your needs to the best of their ability. The only problem was the price of food and drink. If you want a drink by the sea go to the peace bar owned by Thai local pom. Turn left as you walk onto te beach then continue for about thirty metres. The prices are about 1/4 of the hotels and the bar serves the most fantastic coconuts.

Also don't bother paying 20 quid a day to use the hotel Internet continue down the road you entered from for about 400 metres and you will find a Swiss/german bar on your left I can't remember the name however they serve a mix of good Thai food and western as well as that customers get use of free wi-fi.

1  Thank William1780
Amari Koh Samui
#10 of 104 in Chaweng
Le Meridien Koh Samui Resort & Spa
Pavilion Samui Villas & Resort

Been to Renaissance Koh Samui Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!