This was our second stay at the Renaissance in Koh Samui. On our first stay, we absolutely loved this place and couldn't wait to return. It had been on my list of "best hotels" to return to on subsequent stays. This time however, we it did not live up to the extraordinary level of service we had during our first stay in July of 2008, but I'd probably still return.
We were a group of 10. Our check in was at best, a disastor. Room requests we made via email had not been received by the hotel, the staff at the front desk did not understand the requests we were trying to make regarding our rooms, the incorrect credit cards were charged, the people in each room were mixed up, no cold drink was offered during my 1.5 hour timeframe of trying to resolve the situation and the staff refused to get a manager, as they indicated she could not be disturbed due to a meeting.
On the plus side, the management staff did a very good job of handling our concerns and trying to improve our stay once they learned of the difficulties. They offered everyone a free glass of wine in a private reception type setting, offered 20 per cent off all spa treatments and did offer to move some of our rooms the next morning (although we decided to stay put after the first night). The staff also paid particular attention to our needs after we voiced our concerns and checked in often to see if we were enjoying ourselves. I'd give "kuddos" to the rooms manager "Pooky" for her tireless effort to try to resolve issues and follow up to make sure we were enjoying ourselves.
Pros for the property are: the villas are beautiful and simply wonderful accomodations. It is hard to find anything more lovely. The beach is private and the pool is quite nice. The food at the restaurant in the evening was excellent as was the service. Also, despite what others have said, I like the beach, as it is quiet, secluded, has free kayaks and you can walk down a little further if you want better swimming. The garden settings of the property are extraordinary.
Cons for the property are: those in hotel rooms had rooms that were not as nice as the ones we had in 2008, primarily due to poor views. The pool bar staff (which we raved about in 2008 and was a highlight of the hotel) needs major improvement. We ordered lunch one day and an hour later, half of us didn't have our food, the orders were mixed up and we asked 4 times to get a glass of water. The drink service at the pool and the beach was sporadic and slow. The front desk staff had great difficulty figuring out our bill upon departure, but when the food and beverage manager was called (he was the manager on call that day) he resolved all of the issues.
Overall, it is still a lovely property and I'd probably go back again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Renaissance Koh Samui Resort & Spa, a Marriott Luxury & Lifestyle hotel is the perfect place for a vacation getaway, destination wedding or executive retreat where you can escape to your own seaside villa with private pool, blending the luxury of the world's best spa resort with the intimacy of a secluded island village. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Marriott, Cheap Tickets, Travelocity, Orbitz, Agoda, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Renaissance Koh Samui Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Renaissance Koh Samui Hotel Lamai Beach
- Renaissance Koh Samui Resort And Spa
- Koh Samui Renaissance
- Renaissance Koh Samui Resort & Spa Ko Samui/Lamai Beach