“Amazing place and superb staff!!”

Renaissance Koh Samui Resort & Spa
Ranked #5 of 50 Hotels in Lamai Beach
“Amazing place and superb staff!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2014 via mobile

Our stay at the renaissance resort and spa on lamai beach was wonderful. Amazing staff all spoke very good English. Service was amazing and food was great too. Has an amazing pool with a great temperature for those hot days. Location is right on the beach and access to all the attractions is good. Thanks to the staff for all there help organising all activities, ferrys, and transport :) great place and highly recommended.

Stayed June 2014
Killian D, General Manager at Renaissance Koh Samui Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 18, 2014
Dear Nick S,

Greetings from the Renaissance Team here on Koh Samui!

Thank you for your kind review here on TripAdvisor! We are very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and I am especially pleased about your comment in regards to the English skill of our team. We have regular English classes for all of our ambassadors and I am happy that you could experience the result.

Please come back to visit us as our Navigators have a lot of new Discoveries up their sleeves that they would like to share with you.

Until then I remain with very best regards,

Killian Donogue

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (265)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2014

This was the second time that I stayed at this resort and it was fantastic once again. The staff is outstanding and was very attentive to our special needs. It was my wife's birthday so they setup a private dinner on the beach and helped to arrange a fire show.

We stayed in a villa with a plunge pool which was really nice. There are a lot of trees so the plunge pool can get leaves in the water very quickly. They had a pool leaf skimmer by the plunge pool so I just skimmed the leaves out in two minutes. I thought this was nice since you can't expect the staff to come and skim the pool all the time as there are a lot of trees around and it just isn't practical.

You can walk to Lamai town but it will take 20-30 minutes, just go out to the beach and turn right, walk a long way following the beach and when you see the red building turn right and you be on the main road in Lamai town.

There is a small sandy beach between the pool and the gulf. Huge difference in the gulf depending on high/low tide. If you are looking for a big sandy beach, go to surfer's paradise, but if you are looking for a great resort with seclusion, stay here!

We ordered room service almost every day and the food was excellent. Thursday evening they had a huge buffet on the beach with seafood, beef and a lot of Thai food. They even had some Indian food.

The first time we stayed here, we went to ride the elephants and climbed to the waterfall which was really nice with a great view. This time we went to Samui Aquarium and Tiger Zoo which was fantastic. Go around noon and eat lunch at the Samui Orchid resort by the beach and then see the Sea Lion show at 1:30 and then the Tiger show at 2:30.

If something is not perfect, talk to the management as they are very helpful!

Awesome resort!!!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Dear JustAWordTraveller,

Greetings from Koh Samui and thank you very much for sending us such kind feedback!

I especially appreciate it as I remember that you also shared constructive comments with us which we have already adressed. We hope that your family enjoyed the stay, especially the Beach BBQ and hope to be able to welcome you back for a third time. Please send me a personal message via killian.donoghue@renaissancehotels.com and I would be happy to make arrangements for a perfect stay.

With best personal regards to you and your family,

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2014

This was our 3rd trip to Thailand. We have stayed mainly in five starts but were unable to find one that had two rooms with beachfront and private pool. This was the only one we could find. So we had a 2 bedroom beachfront with private pool. This room is very nice for families with kids. We really enjoyed our time here. It is quite and peaceful. I believe it was the best hotel in this area. The food was good. The water is very rough with coral. I was expecting cleaner waters from reviews. I personally loved Tubkkak hotel in Krabi much better as we had the same. We had a 2 bedroom on the beach with private pool. The hotel and service at Tubkkak was excellent. The beach at this hotel is the best I have been to in Thailand. Waters are so clean. When the shore recedes you can see sand dollars and starfish.

Room Tip: If you have kids recommend the private pool villa on the beach.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank MyNazzal
Dear MyNazzal,

Greetings from Koh Samui and thank your for chosing the Renaissance for your family vacation!

I am pleased to read that you enjoyed our two bedroom beach access "Royal Lamai Villa" which indeed is perfect for families that look for a luxury beachfront holiday I believe. I will share your positive dining comments with our culinary team.

In regards to the water, indeed we had a low water period over the past 2 months or so which applies to most of eastern Koh Samui. I am happy to share with you though that water levels will change to high levels again starting in July throughout Mid April next year.

We would be delighted to welcome you back one day and hope that you will keep fond memories of your island geataway to Koh Samui.

Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2014

We stayed here as a couple for the first week in May 2014.

As my partner is a Marriott Platinum member we were upgraded to a Pool Villa when it became available (which so happened to be for 5 days out of the 7). The Villas were huge, spotless and stunning. The main focal point being the beautiful 4 poster bed.

The small private pool was lovely, perfectly cool to take the edge off the hottest time of year in Koh Samui.

From beginning to end, all the staff we met were amazingly polite and helpful. Beautiful smiles all round and they really seemed to enjoy their jobs, which is a very rare thing these days!

We ate breakfast every morning in the Banana Leaf restaurant and I can safely say that it was among the best hotel breakfasts I have ever eaten. A LOT of choice and all very well prepared with the usual professional staff smiling as if we'd all won the lottery. It was very infectious and I dare anyone not to smile back!

Room service was a treat, very reasonably priced for a 5 star hotel and again the food was cooked to perfection. An added bonus was that it always arrived hot.

I would stay here again in a heartbeat. Although the beach wasn't good for swimming, it's right next to Lamai Beach which is. A short taxi ride will get you to wherever you need to be.

Many thanks to everyone at the hotel for making our trip so memorable.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank 3rdlight
Killian D, General Manager at Renaissance Koh Samui Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 3, 2014
Dear 3rdlight,

Greetings to Cardiff from sunny Koh Samui! Thank you very much for chosing the Renaissance to be your holiday getaway, especially as you have many choices being a Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite member!

I am thrilled to read your comments and very happy that our team made your stay so special through their genuine Thai hopitality. Especially our culinary team was proud to read your comments this morning!

We hope that you will come back to visit us soon and starting in June and surely in July, water levels will be much higher to also enjoy a dip in the sea.

Until then, we send our best regards,

San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2014 via mobile

Great resort, superb location, amazing villas, infinity pool, awesome breakfast and food. The beach of the resort is very good and clean, the resort provide kayak for use. Service was excellent and Killian D, General Manager of the resort was very warm and friendly. If you are in Thailand, this is a must have resort in your list

• Stayed November 2013
2 Thank rajesh_the_traveller
Dear rajesh_the_traveller,

Greetings from Ren Koh Samui and thank you for sharing your feedback! I am very happy that you still remember us even though your stay was last November. Since your last visit, we have completely refurbished our All Day Dining restaurant "Banana Leaf" and I think if you enjoyed the breakfast then, you will love it now.

Please come back to visit Koh Samui and whenever there is anything I can do to assist, simply drop me a line via killian.donoghue@renaissancehotels.com

All the best and Sawasdee,

Killian Donohue.
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2014

We stayed at the Renaissance Hotel from May 19-21 2014. First I would like to say if you are looking for a good beach this is not the place. Beach is way to rocky and shallow to swim in. But if you are looking for 2 fabulous pools, great food and service, you are in the right spot. Rooms were nice and clean. Welcome drinks and cool towel upon arrival. Staff is so friendly. Didier the Food and Bar manager was very helpful with suggestions on what to see. Breakfast was THE BEST. It is about a 10 minute drive from Chaweng Beach where there is a great night market and lots of restaurants. The gym is small but clean. I also went running on the beach which was quite nice. Be sure to bring bug spray since there are a lot of mosquitoes. We had a late flight and couldn't extend our checkout time but they let us use the spa to shower since we wanted more pool time. Note, there are a lot of Mosquitos in the spa. Would definitely not use it. But besides that and the beach it was awesome. Also note, this is not really in walking distance to really anything. Recommend do walking up the street for a local taxi instead of hotel taxi which is about 150-200 baht more. The grounds are beautiful. I definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Christina P
Killian D, General Manager at Renaissance Koh Samui Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 1, 2014
Dear Christina P,

Greetings from Koh Samui to New York! Thank you for your kind review in this forum.

I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed your holiday with us at the Renaissance and will ensue that your nice feedback will reach Didier and his team. Indeed we are proud of our breakfast and the service of our ambassadors and will continue to strive for excellence.

We are happy to let you know that indeed the water levels of the sea will rise over the coming weeks to be on the higest level through the course of July, so we are ready to welcome all passionate swimmers. In the meantime, please allow me to recommend to utilize the Silver Beach which is a mere 15 walking minutes away from the resort and provides deeper water levels at this moment. Finally, let me comment on the mosquitos, as yes during the months of April to June they are very much part of life on the island. We are currently "fogging" all gardens twice weekly and provide different tools in the rooms and villas to avoid being affected too much.

I hope that we would be able to welcome you back one day and please let me know whenever I may be of assistance to you in the future.

All the best,

Killian Donoghue
Paris, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2014 via mobile

If you are looking for a resort inside a natural park, stop here! You found the right place. Book a villa. Much better!
It's true that you might not be in the nightlife of Koh Samui but who cares? Rent a scooter (motorbike here). It costs nothing.
It's an amazing place. Service is fab and friendly! We will return for sure.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Nicolas A
Killian D, General Manager at Renaissance Koh Samui Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 26, 2014
Dear Nicolas A,

Bonjour a Paris! Thank you very much for your kind review. I am pleased to learn that you enjoyed our tropical gardens as well as the privacy of one of our Garden Pool Villas!

We cant wait to welcome you back and please let me know if I can assist with any arrangements via killian.donoghue@renaissancehotels.com

With best personal regards,

Beach Republic The Residences
Beach Republic The Residences
#4 of 50 in Lamai Beach
Le Meridien Koh Samui Resort & Spa

Been to Renaissance Koh Samui Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!