“Great property, terrible food.”

Renaissance Koh Samui Resort & Spa
Ranked #5 of 51 Hotels in Lamai Beach
Reviewed February 3, 2014

Overall this property and staff were amazing. A beautiful procure beach and amazingly attentive staff.
I stayed in a pool villa that was well worth the cost. My only critique would be the food. My wife and I tried every restaurant and were dissapointed every time. Otherwise, the stay was great.

• Stayed: January 2014
Killian D, General Manager at Renaissance Koh Samui Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2014

Dear Danny A -

Greetings from the Renaissance Koh Samui! Thank you for sharing your feedback and for having stayed at our resort.

We appreciate your positive comments in regards to the service of our team as well as the Pool Villa. Would you mind to share some more detailed feedback in regards to our restaurants directly with me via killian.donoghue@renaissancehotels.com? I would like to take potential learning issues up with my team .

Thank you again and best regards from tropical Koh Samui!

Killian Donoghue

Reviewed February 2, 2014

Wasn't going to post the review, but was asked for it (by hotel staff) in an email. OK, did the review - that was removed due to it being "non family-friendly review" (some TripAdvisor rule).
So, this is a re-write, and I hope this time it will pass the TA Censorship.

Stayed 2 nights on points, end of 2013.

I came here after an 8-day stay in another hotel (Muang Samui Villas, see my review there), and really expected an improvement. Well...

Arrival - the road to hotel (full of potholes and dilapidated houses) tells a story similar to this: "you're entering a kind of place that you come to and never leave, place that 100% of your needs are taken care of here, you don't need to go anywhere else" (there's even a tailor shop on site).

On arrival met Sonia (she's really a good front face for the resort), got the cold-wet towel and lemongrass ice cream scoop while they were sorting out the check-in. (other staff was also nice, but I remember her most)

She apologized that I didn't get an upgrade (platinum guest), as it's according to availability, and this is high-booking season, blah-blah. Well, old adage says "trust but verify". I checked marriott.com website twice (once immediately, then at 4:40pm), and there still were villas available for the very dates of my stay (see attached pic).
Initially I was thinking in line of "why say such a thing ("cant upgrade you as we're full"), if your customer can easily verify the truth". It's probably better to say "you might be platinum, but tomorrow there's a bigger-platinum coming and that villa is for him", that would be equally offensive but at least honest and fair. Actually I asked about it next day, turned out hotel was overbooked for New Year, and there were no villas, meaning basically the website should not be trusted.

OK, so I got room 509, so called "deluxe with sea view". Meh. It'd be more correct to call it "with a very very remote sea view", "with a hint of a sea" or whatever. It's in a 7-floor building on the other side of the road, meaning it's about 500m or more from the sea.

Room itself is about 40sqm, big bed, flat tv (even HBO; had to manually tune the picture quality as initially it was truly awful - right now you should have proper color saturation, at least in that room), pretty fast internet (free for golds and platinums, paid for others - always amazes me that hotels still charge for internet), balcony with two chairs and jacuzzi. Bathroom - separate tiny toilet and normal-size shower, some toilettries, nice fluffy towels (yeah!).
Side note: water (toilet and sink) is sometimes rather yellow; it goes away after few moments though, so i hope this discoloration is just from iron deposits in old piping, and nothing else.
Noise isolation is so-so or worse, you can hear anything that happens in the corridor, plus all the toilet flushing around etc.

In the wardrobe - mosquito spray - USE IT, it works. So nice to have a "unbitten" sleep (after my previous experience this week). Yes, you'll have quite a lot of mosquitos on 5th floor; I wonder how many of those you get on lower ones.
Also slippers "you can use them, but we charge if you take them". Flurry of thoughts then: "So, wait, what - they're multiple-time use, by many guests? That'd be utterly disgusting. Do they clean them after every guest? How?" Decided to ask Sonia. She wasn't 100% sure, but she mentioned dry cleaning. Needless to say, didn't touch them. They should use one-time ones (typical white), or give those more-poshy silky ones for free (come on, you have a tremendous markup on room itself)

Happy hour (5-7pm, "buy one get one free"): waited 26 minutes for my first drink. No, there wasn't a horde of thirsty guests, there was me, and elderly couple at the bar, and a small group of people on sunbeds. Consecutive drinks were prompt, but distaste remained.
Second day - improvement, 7 minute wait, one busy bartender, much more people (15+), therefore no biggie.
Just don't expect "i look at the guy and here the drink appears", this is not one of those places (unfortunately - but you can find some here on the island, more on that later).
Small redemption - what is really nice is that the bar staff immediately recognizes you (remembers your room number and what you usually drink). Very nice personal touch (+1 bullet, just for this)

Dinner in banana leaf: very good gyoza (japanese fried dumpling filled with pork, with salty dipping sauce on side), mediocre spicy salami pizza (asked for it "well done, even burnt", got some half-hearted attempt with extra tabasco on side - i suspect i was misunderstood with "burnt", restaurant staff speaks rather mediocre english -- "good for this island" supposedly).
Didn't eat dinner here again, too disappointing (too low price-to-quality ratio; remember beginning of the story, "never leave this resort" road quality? well, think twice, rent a scooter and DO leave for food and instantaneous drinks).
[later i got an apology for the pizza, together with charge waive and some coconut sweets - nice gesture, but i deteste coconut, for the future - i prefer Wienerschnitzel :-)]

Tried the tapas place my last evening. Went Arabic (kofte and falafel). Waited 40 minutes for delivery, but it was busy (one full 10-person table, few smaller others), perhaps that's why. Not really an excuse, come to think of it, meals are prepared in Banana Leaf which definitely wasn't busy. And when the food finally came it was lukewarm (picture doesn't show temperature, unfortunately). The only reason i didn't send it away (and ask to speak to manager) was that the waiter lady looked really stressed and i felt sorry for her. Food taste? OK, but bland, with totally uninspiring dip (can't even tell what it was - peanut? mushroom? something mildly sweet, beige color). This, plus (decent) baileys = 700 baht out of a window. Should've taken Banana Leaf as a warning - but decided to give this place a 2nd try. Unnecessary.
That's another reason for "do rent a scooter and do eat outside".

Hotel is full of annoying little steps that are designed to trip you (one in the bathroom, on the public bridge from the main reception to your remote building). Think "flat surface and then bump".

Beach is small and spiky (coral reef or something), best to wear some shoes. Water very shallow. Didn't use.

Two pools. One for families with (rather loud) children, other for seasoned swimmers (50 metre almost-olympic length - no, not a true olympic one, but still very good for your fitness). Also, suprisingly well equipped gym. There was supposedly a muay thai lesson there at 8am, but who wakes up that early on vacation? Pity, would try that one.
Unfortunately, pool towels were nowhere to be found (talking about 50m pool; yes, I've seen shelves next to pool entrance, sole pale-brown towel there remembered 1950's probably, was too disgusting to touch), and sunbeds had stained mattresses (yuck). Pool could use more frequent cleaning (leaves), and perhaps slightly less chlorine (got running nose for few hours after an hour-long swim).

Breakfast? Was not impressed, especially that I've read and heard so much praise for it (mostly from hotel management, though), that i really expected something spectacular. Turns out my previous hotel (Muang Samui Villas, Choeng Mon - yeah, the one with mosquitos) had way more choice and variety. There was not even ham available (instead, there was baloney, which is the cheapest possible italian sausage, similar to mortadella - just with extra spices).
Yes, I did try eggs benedict, they're rather "meh" (even had egg shell bits in it). Funniest thing was "have a {censored due to non-family-friendliness} good morning" station - yes, i did go for it (pic attached).

Side note. Hotel is on Samui airport approach path/vector, so you'll see and hear some planes (it's not Heathrow though, mind you). Planes already are in flaps-down position here, so it's a decent opportunity for a photo if you're a planespotter (not much to see though, typical ATRs and 320s and 737s)

Very nice scooter rental process (no passport deposit needed, hotel guarantees you are you), 250 baht/day. Don't go for the 125cc (300baht), not worth it; 110cc easily does 90kmh, that's more than enough on this island. Plus about 100 thb for fuel (for the round-the-island day trip)
just don't drive too fast (you can miss little things), and expect that everyone wants to kill you on the road, whether deliberately or not - and you should be quite safe. (did a lot of long-distance motorcycle trips when i was younger, but driving here is an experience itself)

Some tips for the surroundings:
Nearby swiss place (Roestiland, less than 1km from hotel, just next to road) - pretty good, almost reasonable prices (still 2/3rds of those in hotel ;-) rosti + 300ml south african wine = 520 baht (12 EUR or 16 USD). Plus a company of a friendly dog
"80m waterfall" - waste of time (and don't even think about going there if you're not physically fit, there's quite a lot of hill climbing and uneven steps to be done)
"grandma and grandpa rocks" - 10 seconds to see it all, then you go away (paid 10 baht for parking, so that's 1 baht/second :) very "meh".
trip to the west - very nice Conrad hotel (probably expensive), also beaches on that road (4169?) are nice, and virtually empty. Good place to take a rest from other tourists
Big Budda - supposedly only good while sunset
Lamai - no impression, just drove through
Chaweng - where all nightlife is (sometimes ugly, nevertheless)

So, final rating.
We start at 3 bullets ("average" - statistically speaking, most hotels in the world are... yes, just average)
+1 for remembering me (my room number, but I don't mind) and what i drink
-1 for food (overhyped breakfast, not good but still expensive pizza, wait times and food quality in tapas place) and happy hour (wait times)
-1 for "sea view" (that I paid extra for, 10k extra points, i wish i didn't bother)
+1 for reception and generally front desk staff
+1 for 50m pool
-0.5 for sunbeds and lack of towels there
-1 for making me re-do this review (and re-post pictures while I have bad internet connection here in Belize)

All that being said, i could feel that staff (and management) really cares and tries, that they try to go that extra mile or two, that they wanted me to leave with happy memories. So all the bad things are forgiven and forgotten.

Verdict: 2.5 bullets. As it was a points stay, i'll round it up to 3 (if I'd pay, that'd be rounded down to 2, i expect MUCH more when i pay, especially for food and service)

Don't think will be coming here again. Not just this resort, the whole Samui left something missing. It's OK, but not any great, and holiday should be great. Should've gone for Philippines (was my 1st choice) or other Thai or Malay island.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
5  Thank ISmackedTheLion

Dear ISmackedTheLion -

Greetings from the Renaissance Koh Samui and thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review! Indeed when sending a Thank You note for your stay we are providing you with a link should you wish to share your experience here with the TripAdvisor community.

I will do my best to comment on some of your candid feedback:

1. The road to the hotel is a small local road. Pot holes have been fixed last week and the local government has plans to refurbish the surface in the second quarter of this year.
2. Thank you for your positive comments on Sonja and our recpetion team.
3. Apologies for the lack of upgrade possibility. There may have been a descrepancy with website / physical availability which is uncommon but may happen during a fully booked period - I can however assure you that we give upgrades to our Platinum guests whenever we do have it available. No exceptions. This is my personal directive.
4. The room is located 150-200 meter from the sea line depending on the Deluxe Room, not 500 meter.
5. If you experienced some coloration in the water, this is not from pipes but may have been caused by some sediment. We do have our own filtration system. In any case, as anywhere else on the island it is not recommended to drink the tap water which is why we are providing complimetary drinking water in each guest room.
6. Mosquitos are a normal phenomenon on a tropical island. We do have a weekly schedule to fog all garden areas to reduce this effect for our guests.
7. Apologies for your experience at the pool bar. The team has been re-trained the past weeks and we also hired new team members in January.
8. I am surprised about your comments in regards to our culinary offerings. The praise is usually coming from my guests, not from myself as I am merely echoing the same. I will however share your feedback with Chef Tor and his team. It is the first negative comment on our breakfast in a while but again, we take this in a constructive way to continue to drive or breakfast experience.
9. As the building is built on a sloping hill, I am unsure how to answer to your comment on steps - big or small - within the resort.
10. When going into the sea, we do provide water shoes for complimetary use right at the pool bar. The tide is changing daily, generally the water was well swimable in December.
11. Muay Thai and Yoga lessons are available in the early morning as it gets too hot during the day and these are not as enjoyable then.
12. Beach and Pool towels have been upgraded in January (unsure what to say about the 50's style comment - they are simply red/brown which is part of the color palette at the pools). Chlorine at regulated levels is required to keep the water clean and sanitized.
13: Air planes: Koh Samui is a small island and the described airport approach vector is depending on the wind conditions. Frankly, the majority of the island, from Bophut, to Chaweng, to Lamai etc. can be in that "vector". Glad that you agree that it is not overly disturbing as flights are limited to the island and planes are not flying low.
14. Exploring the island: I am sorry to hear that you did not have the opportunity to have an island explorer tour tailored by one of our Navigators which includes the hidden little gems of Koh Samui ensuring that you stay away from general tourist paths. This would have perhaps given you a different perspective of our island. Side note: I have recently taken the steps to the waterfall together with my family incluive of grand parents and two young children. Nice walk and a little bit of adventure which is what most guests are looking for when coming to a tropical island.

To sum it up, I understand that your rating would have been "4" if Tripadvisor would not have neglected your first review from which it seems that you have somewhat enjoyed your stay with us despite the above described points - which by the way we take as constructive critque.

With best regards and best wishes for your future travels,

Reviewed January 30, 2014

This is the first poor review I am giving a hotel on trip advisor.

Was it my imagination? The sheets smelled like a sweaty man. Like a man had slept in the bed for a week and no one had changed the sheets. I swear I have never noticed that before in any hotel. I had just flown in from California and was so tired. I was only planning on spending one night here before going to a rustic resort on the island of Koh Phangan with only cold showers (I say that to give you a sense of how Not Fussy I am about hotels). I was so tired from the long flight that my jet lagged brain could not figure out what to do. I was too tired to switch rooms. I was too tired to complain. But it was awful surrounded my that smell. Since it was my first time in Thailand, I thought, maybe it is just the soap they use...so I waited to write this review until the end of my trip. 2 months later, I havent smelled that smell since.

Does one night of smelly sheets mean that anything really about the hotel in the long term? I dont know. The room was cute, the shower was beautiful wood, the room had an outdoor bathtub which was nifty but I didnt have time to use it.

When I was checking out there was a big complication/kurfuffle about which ferry boat I would take to Koh Phangan. They had nicely booked one for me the night before, but in the morning I realized it would take me to a city not near my final destination. I asked for a ride to the ferry given to me by my next hotel and they said they never heard of that pier or that ferry. WHAAT? NOT Heard of it? There are just a few piers and ferrys on that small island. Then I did throw a nice American sized fit cause I felt like
A) it is your job to know about ferrys!
B)That is why I booked a well known chain hotel cause I assumed the concierge would be world class
C) I was starting to feel like they had a deal worked out with the other ferry (the taxi price also included the ferry ticket.....)

Could I have been more clear the night before when I asked them to book me a ride to the ferry the next day? Yes, I'm sure I could have. I did not know there were two different ferries. Maybe because I dont live there.

I ended up having them cancel their taxi/ferry with their company and just taking a taxi to the pier which I asked for and I all went fine from there.

Was my jet lag contributing to all this. I'm sure it was. Was it more stressful and scary for me cause I was traveling alone in Asia for the first time. Yup. For sure. I felt like crying in the taxi, hoping I had made the right decision.Turned out I had. Phew!

I ended up living on Koh Phangan at The Sanctuary (awesome place!) for 6 weeks and took that ferry a lot. All over the island, common knowledge that is the ferry I needed.

Did this ruin my trip. Nope. Is it now a distant memory? Yup. Does it haunt me? Nope. A tiny blip on my radar.

So Thank You Trip Advisor for letting me vent!! And to anyone who has made it to the end of this review--Hazzah!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
8  Thank Liz K
Killian D, General Manager at Renaissance Koh Samui Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 2, 2014

Dear Liz K -

Greetings from the Renaissance Koh Samui! Thank you for your candid feedback here on TripAdvisor which I read with great interest.

Being unsure about the described "smell", we have made an effort to investigate with our laundry, there was however no change in detergent or procedure at the time of your stay. The linen of each room is of course being changed for every new arrival (no exception) and the usual feedback from our guests is that it is crisp, clean and has a nice scent. Guests that stay with us for longer periods will know that we also change linen every other day for inhouse guests, except if we are advised of more/less frequent services.

In regards to the recommendation of a ferry to Koh Phangan, let me share with you that our team is well trained on common transportation modes in and around Koh Samui. During the incident that you mentioned, my personal assistant Khun Por was at the reception by coincidence and tried to help to accommodate your request. She is in fact originally from Koh Samui and well versed with the ferry schedules. The recommended ferry is the best and safest transportation and while there are many local piers on Koh Phangan, I can assure you that your "feeling" that we have a "deal" worked out with a provider is simply put: wrong.

My team and I take great pride in giving the best and most indigenous recommendations to enhance the holiday experience of our guests. While I regret that we were not able to give you the same experience, I am happy to read that you overall enjoyed theshort stay at our resort.

With best regards,

Killian Donoghue

Reviewed January 30, 2014

I was there for business trip and stay only few night but I could say it is nice place to be,relaxing ,pieceful .I stayed at Sea View Room so every morning when I woke up I charge my energy .I had Thai massage at Quan Spa which made me feel comfortable and release from stress after all day long from meeting.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business

Dear Wailailak S -

Greetings from Ren Samui and thank you for your comments on your stay with us! We are very pleased that you enjoyed the resort despite having to spend most of the time working.

Please come back to visit us for an island getaway, we are ready for you with endless tranquil spots within the resort as well as local Navigator tips for you to discover the island of Koh Samui in a "new light". Please let me know if I may be of assistance via killian.donoghue@renaissancehotels.com .

With best personal regards,

Reviewed January 30, 2014

Koh Samui is full of young party people. I m one of them but staying in Chaweng is not comfortable, too noisy for me. This hotel is ideal place for staying in this beautiful island - just few kilometres from Chaweng (centre of nightlife).

Resort is located on private beach with free sunbeds. During my stay I felt absolutely luxurious surrounded by tropical garden.

Rooms in main building are spacious with private jacuzzi on terrase.

Take some drinks from pool bar and enjoy your stay, you chose well :)

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends

Dear lukas-bts,

Greetings to Bratislava and thank you for your kind review here on TripAdvisor! I am very pleased to read your comments and that you enjoyed the beachside tranquility while only being a short trip away from nightlife and shopping in Chaweng and Lamai.

We hope that you will come back to visit with your friends and send you all the best regards from Koh Samui until then.

Sawadee Krub!

Reviewed January 27, 2014

The Renaissance Marriott Koh Samui was excellent and beyond our expectations in every way. The staff provided the best hotel service we have ever experienced in our 25 years of 5 star travel. The resort villas were luxuriously finished and the private pools were the icing on the cake. The restaurants provided a great spread of traditional and European cuisine and the buffet breakfast was far better than other asian hotels we have recently visited. One tip is definitely do the beach seafood and cocktail might which is one if their activities and utilise the reasonably priced hotel transport. Magnificent in every way!!!!

• Stayed: January 2014

Dear SamD3030 -

Thank you very much for sharing your wonderful feedback on your recent stay with the TripAdvisor community.

I am very happy to read that we have exceeded your expectations and that we were able to make your island getaway a most memorable one. Indeed our breakfast buffet has evovlved into an exciting start of the day and I am pleased to know that you also enjoyed our other culiary offerings such as Thai seafood at tawaNN and the Beach BBQ.

Indeed, one of the best ways to explore the island is a customized island tour by one of our Navigators, tailored to your preferences and packed with indigenous discoveries. We offer the same with a private driver in one of our SUV's at only THB 1800 NET per 3 hours per car and the feedback we have received so far is very positive as you can explore the island at your own pace rather than joining a group of tourists.

Thank you once more and we sincerely hope that you will come back to stay with us. Please let me know whenever I may be of assistance.

Sawadee Krub,

Reviewed January 25, 2014

We stayed at the Renaissance for a week this January and we are very pleased with the resort. The impeccable service and attention started with a couple of e-mails that I exchanged with the hotel management before we arrived. They treat you unbelievably well and the staff are generally very happy and attentive like nowhere else I have been. My highlights:
1. Amazing tropical garden and birds around the resort.
2. Very calm atmosphere and no crowd - you feel like you are in a private resort even on the beach.
3. Large and cozy villas with huge outdoor space, very high ceilings and the only thing you hear are the birds in the gardens.
4. Incredible food in all dining venues at very decent prices and excellent service.
5. Calm waters in the bay of Lamai.
6. Very pleasant spa and beach massage offers with view of the ocean.
Generally a very beautiful and romantic place and we can't wait to go back there for a longer stay. The only thing the resort needs is some renovation although it is perfect as it is and the slightly dated setting gives it a more natural and down to earth feeling.

Room Tip: Get a garden pool villa