“Don't think twice”

Renaissance Koh Samui Resort & Spa
Ranked #5 of 50 Hotels in Lamai Beach
“Don't think twice”
Reviewed October 8, 2013

My husband and 6 year old stayed here for 11 nights from late September to early October 2013. I had booked a Garden View Deluxe room - which was overlooking the 50m lap pool. The room was spacious, even with the extra bed for our son. We were very happy with the room, but as a Marriott Gold member, we were offered an upgrade to a Villa. I was blown away! I've never stayed anywhere so luxurious and romantic (even with our son). It had it's own pool (yes, it was small, but who cares when it's all yours and you can skinny dip!), a 4-poster bed with chifon curtains, really high thatched ceilings, a massive shower "room" - everything you could think of.

Apart from the gym, we made full use of the facilities. Breakfast at Banana Leaf was fantastic each day. A great range, that even our fussy 6 year old enjoyed. The juices were a favourite - so many different flavours and always super cold. You could also order cafe lattes, at no extra charge. We often had lunch next to the main beach-side pool - BLT wrap, fish & chips - and of course, happy hour 5-7pm - there was no-one at happy hour the one night we were there. The nights we didn't venture into Lamai or Chaweng (via the twice daily free shuttle service), we had a few dinners at the Banana Leaf (best chicken/cashew curry my husband ever had) and one at TawaNN (expensive, but sensational food & views above the beach). We both had massages on separate days. I had a package - body scrub, wrap & massage. My husband had a massage in a hut near the beach. Both were done by Jin - she was great (thankyou Jin). I wont say it was cheap, but it was a treat!

Staff were always very helpful, friendly, polite & smiling. Whenever we ordered a bucket of ice, it was delivered within minutes - Room service was super speedy. I also loved the daily turn-down service. They would close all curtains, turn down beds & replenish bottled water as necessary.

The only thing I could comment on, is the "tour desk". There is a tour desk, but you wouldn't know it. The brochures for various tours & activities, are in drawers behind the front desk. You had to ask the front desk staff for specific things. If the brochures were up on a wall, you'd be more likely to enquire and book a trip.

A big thankyou to the staff that helped make our stay so wonderful including Sonia, Alex, Jin, Didier & Rainy in Banana Leaf (that greeted our "hungry boy" with such enthuiasm each morning!).

Best regards, (Scottish) Steve, Ange & the noisey child Lewis.

Room Tip: Garden view are exactly that, Ocean view need to be at least level 5. Villas are the best.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Wyenot2605
Killian D, General Manager at Renaissance Koh Samui Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Dear Wyenot2605 -

Greetings from Koh Samui and thank you very much for sharing your family vacation memories with the tripadvisor community!

I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the Pool Villa as much as you did! We will by the way launch new beverage & food offerings at Banana Leaf, the Pool Bar, Tapas and tawaNN, so I am sure you would love our pool side treats even more next time you stay with us (which I hope you will).

We will surely pass your regards to our team of navigators (Sonia, Alex, Didier) as well as to Khun Rainy and our Quan Spa therapist Khun Jin.

The reason for not displaying the tour books of our travel agency partners is actually that we would like to create an exclusive boutique atmosphere wherein our team of Navigators will customize discovery trips for you. Having said this, the tour books are of course available and expecially utilized when the travel agent representative is visiting the resort to speak with their respective guests. We are actually developing an interactive way of planning your tours with information available on iPads in the future, so watch this space for vacation planning 2.0.

Again thank you very much for staying at the Renaissance, it was a real pleasure having you with us and if I can be of assistance in the future, please touch base via killian.donoghue@renaissancehotels.com.

All the best,

Killian Donoghue.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (269)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed October 7, 2013 via mobile

The Villa here was wonderful! It has a private outdoors pool with easy access to washroom! The room has a freezer where you would buy ice cream and eat on thr cozy big sofa!

What I like the most here are the coconut candies the hotel made and the breakfast! The coconut candies were very creamy n soft! Too bad that I cant buy directly from the hotel or it will be the best souvenirs!! The buffet breakfast offered a wide range of food n drinks!! I really like the fresh fruity yoghurt!!

The hotel was a bit far away from the town centre. We had to commute back n forth by taxi. But it was located in a quiet area n can enjoy more privacy!

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Killian D, General Manager at Renaissance Koh Samui Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
Dear enjoytravelli -

Greetings from Koh Samui and thank you very much for your review even after some time has passed since you stayed with us!

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed the stay in your Pool Villa and totally agree with you - the nicest thing is to walk right out of your bathroom and take a dip into the private pool. You certainly have to come to visit us if you get the chance to try all the new exciting treats we are offering during breakfast: From Samui Mango Pancakes over Egg Benedict with a twist (dripped with curry sauce), Thai noodle soup alternating with Dim Sum, delicious chocolate croissants and freshly baked bread, fresh Thai Mangos and Coconuts and many more...

We have well noted your comment on the coconut candy and will make sure that they are available for sale at the gift shop. By the, we do offer a complimentary shuttle from the hotel that drives to Chaweng and Lamai twice daily to drop off those in need for some retail therapy.

Dear enjoytravelli, I hope to be able to welcome you back soon to the Renaissance, please let me know whenever I may be of assistance via killian.donoghue@renaissancehotels.com.

All the best,

New York, New York
Reviewed October 6, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights on the 5th stop of our holiday in Asia. We used Marriott points (90K) for this stay and booked a garden view villa. Had the price to upgrade to an ocean view been cheaper (it was over $200 per night), or the 100K option available to book an ocean view room open we would have done this in a minute as we didn't like the garden view villa at all. We also regret using so many points to not see the ocean, would have rather booked a regular room facing the ocean (50K points) vs. this garden view villa any day. A summary is as follows:

Property - Really nice and well maintained. The public pool area is where we spent most of our time as it was so lovely and right on the beach. We read many complaints about the beach being rocky and not so great...however we loved it. It was a shallow sand you could easily walk right out pretty far due to the sand bar (but true about the rocks - one woman cut her feet) but quiet with virtually no waves and a stunning sunset view. We rented kayaks one evening and it was wonderful to watch the setting sun. We did take advantage of the free shuttle to Lamai beach but came right back after drop off as we preferred the hotel grounds over the crowded beach. We were there during the rainy season (however had clear skies every day) so this added perhaps to the quiet vibe of the resort.

Staff - wonderful, very attentive and friendly. Front desk staff, housekeeping, pool bar and breakfast were all great.

Room - The room's interior was lovely/clean and the garden view villa was very private, however we were disappointed with the pool (was a bit "dingy") and didn't enjoy spending time away from the stunning ocean view. The lush landscaping also made it quite buggy at night and very loud with the various chirps, etc. Not that it was a bother - just a factor that made us not "love" the room. We also followed up this stay with 2 nights at the Conrad Koh Samui (see my review there) which was the single most amazing hotel we have ever stayed in...so this likely affects our review of this property.

Breakfast - The best on our trip (even vs. the Conrad) - so many great options, beautiful dining room, great staff, etc. As a marriott gold elite member this was included but we would have happily paid for it due to the selection.

Additional note - we took a cooking class and LOVED it! Can't recommend it enough. It was just my husband and I and the chef was so great, altering the dishes on-site to accommodate our preferences. This was a highlight activity for us and the chef made a point to ask us how we enjoyed it again the next day at breakfast. Plus we didn't need to have dinner as we were full (and crying from the spices!)

Overall - The property, staff, breakfast and cooking class were all great. It's the garden view villa we didn't love....if you are going to Koh Samui, definitely book a view of the beautiful sea.

Room Tip: avoid a garden view villa if you can, you will want a view of the sea
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank colleen2227
Dear colleen 2227 -

Greetings from Koh Samui and thank you for choosing the Renaissance to redeem your well earned Marriott Rewards points!

From what I can read from your feedback, you truly enjoyed your stay, just that the Garden Pool Villa was not the right room for you... The beachfront villas are of course very special with views of the quiet beach and Lamai bay, they are however very limited in numbers, seven to be exact. The pool of the garden villas indeed is good for a relaxing dip in the water or for a romatic glass of wine at night while not for swimming per say, for which we offer our beachfront main pool as well as our 50m lap pool.

I am very proud to hear your comments about the breakfast and cooking class and will pass the same on to our chef Tor who I am sure will love to hear this feedback.

Thank you very much for your candid feedback and I sincerely hope to be able to welcome you once more from New York and I will make sure to secure a beachfront villa for you.

With best personal regards,

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed October 1, 2013

This was our first visit to Koh Samui. My husband and I traveled with 2 sons aged 13 and 20. We chose the Renaissance because of it's location and great reviews. Our first few hours turned out to be very stressful. We had beautiful sea view rooms next to each other on the 5th floor but our sons' room had 2 beds joined together to make a king bed. Our request to have the beds separated was met with stony refusal on 3 consecutive occasions. Instead staff wanted to move us to a lower floor with rooms some distance apart. As our 13 year old has diabetes and requires night time monitoring this was a daunting prospect. Attempts to speak to the manager were refused. Eventually one of the front desk staff accepted our concerns and arranged to separate the beds and we were able to relax. My advise is to double check the bedding configuration at the time of booking. On the upside the surroundings were beautiful. Restaurant, pool, housekeeping and spa staff attentive and always smiling, The porters at the front entrance were extremely helpful and friendly with great local knowledge, the food was sensational, especially the beach BBQ and the Thai cooking class fantastic.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Dear 50rob1 -

Greetings to Melbourne from tropical Koh Samui!

I have heard from my team about the challenging room assignment to meet your needs and would like to apologize that we did not react quicker. The resort was actually very busy at the time and our regular twin bedded rooms were not available. You are indeed right though that this could have been swiftly resolved by moving the two beds apart.

Having said this, I am even happier to read that you truly enjoyed your holiday with us after this issue was solved, especially the Beach BBQ which is one thing that I dearly recommend every guest no to miss when staying with us as it is a true highlight of the week each thursday evening. I am glad to know that the coooking classes were much fun too!

Dear 50rob1, I hope that we would be able to welcome you on another occasion. Please drop me a personal note via killian.donoghue@renaissancehotels.com and I will personally make sure that all arrangements are taking care of prior to your arrival

With best personal regards,

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed September 28, 2013

Just left. If you're researching a holiday let us save you the trouble. We spent 2 hours doing our research, picked Renaissance and liked every single second. There is nothing the staff won't do for you. The surroundings are superb and the location amazing. It's the "one percenters" that you pick up from the airport pickup with cold towels and water waiting to the greeting from staff on arrival. We honestly couldn't fault a thing - even when the jacuzzi wouldn't start, an engineer was sent within minutes and it was sorted. The deluxe room with a view of the ocean was meticulously cleaned and turned down daily and the breakfast is phenomenal.

We will come back for sure - keep an eye out for Poppy and grab a piña colada, Tikky who is probably the nicest guy on the planet, Tim, Sukit, Marjin and Didier from the bar and restaurant as well as Killian the GM who was always out and about making himself available to the guests.

The resort is beautiful but it is the staff that make the trip - stop researching your holiday and just book already. You won't find anywhere better...it's that simple.

As a side note, ignore the term rainy season...we had two overcast days in the low 30's and blue skies the rest of the time.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank TimandTomRoom406
Hi Tim&TomRoom406 -

Greetings from Renaissance Koh Samui! I hope you've arrived back safely in Melbourne.

It was fantastic to have you with us and I truly enjoyed the chats with you at breakfast and by the pool! I will definitely share your mentions with the team, especially Poppy, Tikky, Tim, Sukit, Marijn and Didier and we will by the way organize a pair of goggles for your next stay - so drop me a note for your next vacation: killian.donoghue@renaissancehotels.com.

Thanks a lote for this nice note on tripadvisor!

All the best to you and please stay in touch,

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed September 24, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Renaissance for our first visit to Koh Samui. We re a young (newly married) couple and I have travelled extensively. Our 3-night stay was fantastic.

At check-in, the staff was courteous, helpful and welcoming. We arrived early in the morning and despite our room not being ready, the staff took us to the library to relax. We had a garden villa with a jacuzzi. The size, layout and cleanliness of the room was perfect. We enjoyed our private jacuzzi thoroughly.

I have enjoyed many buffet breakfasts across the globe and this buffet, I must say, has one of the best spreads and offerings. The cuisine imbues Thai elements which is important. We also ordered room service, ate by the pool and dined in the restaurant, and all meals were excellent.
We also visited the spa - definitely worth going to for the private steam room and (large) jacuzzi you enjoy before your treatment begins - unfortunately we didn't keep enough time for this. The spa is top notch and the massages are above satisfactory.

We will definitely be returning to this hotel and I am further inclined to target all my holiday stays to the Marriott Group of hotels.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Globetrotter0305
Hello Globetrotter0305 -

Greetings from Renaissance Koh Samui and thank you for sharing your holiday experience!

I am glad to hear that you loved your Pool Villa, our Quan Spa as well as the Beverage & Food offerings. We are expecially proud of our breakfast buffet which continues to evolve week by week - we've just added a "Bloody Mary" station to get the day started in style as well as a bread pudding custard which is simply delicious.

Please come back to visit us soon from Singapore to taste the newest flavors!

With best personal greetings from tropical Samui,

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed September 20, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for 8-nights on our honeymoon. Everything was top notch. We stayed in a sea view deluxe room. The room was very nice with wood trim, a large balcony with a great view, and a comfortable bed.
Every morning that we didn't have plans, we took advantage of the 50-meter lap pool or gym, as well as breakfast at the Banana Leaf which had ample options catering to the many nationalities that visit. We spent much of our days lounging at the pool and beach sipping cocktails. The pool and private beach are pristine and relaxing. We really appreciated it after grabbing lunch at a beachfront resort on Chaweng where there's waverunners, pedlars, and a boat with speakers going back and forth advertising that night's boxing match. Although the sea is shallow along shore at Renaissance, they have complimentary kayaks to take out. A 10-minute ride out, there is actually some half way decent snorkeling if you and your partner don't mind taking turns hopping in.
The staff was amazing. Arranging for taxis, room service, local recommendations...they're there to help with a smile on their face.
Additionally, my wife and I received a couples massage. Despite the rates being way more expensive than nearby places, I could tell that the masseuses were a step above the rest and the setting was exceptional.
The couple negatives...The prices at the resort are high, but this is expected at any resort. We found a laundry service and restaurants down the street to avoid these costs. Also, we dined at TawaNN our final night. The atmosphere and service was great, but the dishes were too rich and my duck was overcooked.
If we find ourselves back on Koh Samui, we wouldn't think twice about where to stay.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jason7736
Dear Jason7736 -

Greetings from Koh Samui! Thanks so much for sharing your honeymoon experience with the trip advisor community. I am thrilled to read how much you enjoyed your stay with us.

In regards to your dining experience at tawaNN, you will be happy to hear that Chef Tor is revamping all of our menus as we speak, starting with Banana Leaf where the menu has just been launched and to be followed by the Pool Bar, Tapas and finally tawaNN. I hope that next time you are back you will be able to savor the new exciting taste with a view of Lamai bay.

Please let me know via killian.donoghue@renaissancehotels.com if I may assist you with a future reservation.

All the best and greetings from Koh Samui,

#2 of 187 in Bophut
Centara Grand Beach Resort Samui
Le Meridien Koh Samui Resort & Spa
SALA Samui Choengmon Beach Resort

Been to Renaissance Koh Samui Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!