The best 'welcome drink' ever: lemongrass ice cream.
Unfortunately reception was not able to deliver the room we booked: 'Chinese New Year'. Without any discussion the problem was solved by offering a downgrade for one night with a perfect spa treatment and an upgrade to a suite for two nights.
The hotel has two faces. It offers private villas towards the beach and a hotel block with standard deluxe rooms on the other site of the road. All rooms are very spacious. The higher the better. For the view and the noise (from the road, from the hotel utilities and your neighbors). The rooms are well furnished. The silk headboards look nice, but get really dirty. The bathtub on the balcony would be a nice idea, but the (older) materials used, make it a bit quirky. Airco is loud. So rooms could do with a bit of an update (and it seems to be on the way).
The Chomview suite on the top floor of the hotel tower is very spacious (111 square meter) and you can open up a lot of windows. The view is stunning, overlooking three bays.
Walking the resort means taking some barriers, quit a few stairs and many doorsteps (even in your room). Not a problem to us and the beautiful garden setting makes up for it.
The lap pool is great for your quite morning swim. Entering the pool area is a bit smelly. They try to mask this with fragrances. Not always successfully. The main resort pool is just great for relaxing with enough beds. Pool guys are friendly, food is great. But a welcome with towel service would be nice (and good for their own business).
We liked the quality of food at the restaurant. Breakfast could improve. Service is great, lovely staff at the the egg station, but they really have to learn to cook eggs in any kind of way. The choice of juices is fine, but getting it from the bottles is uncomfortable (10 years ago it was innovative at the Six Senses where it was well executed). With some minor rearrangements this place will be top. In the evening there are some great dining offers for high quality food and wine. Why do I have to pay my water or soft drink when I do not use alcohol? A bit more flexible please. Yo still want to eat outside? Like everywhere in Thailand, a cheap eating option is always next door.
We like the diversity of the staff hired. It's remarkable, it's progressive, it's almost like the W without the arrogance.
Best thing is the value for money. The Banyan Tree next door looks better, but you will pay seven times the room rate. And in which resort would you find a soft drink under 100 Bath, tax included? No this is not the InterContinental. But it offers five stars at 4 star prices.
Guys, keep up the good work and attractive rates and implement some easy improvements.
Just a pity the postcards we left at reception never made it to Europe (but who is to blame?).
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Renaissance Koh Samui Resort & Spa, a Marriott Luxury & Lifestyle hotel is the perfect place for a vacation getaway, destination wedding or executive retreat where you can escape to your own seaside villa with private pool, blending the luxury of the world's best spa resort with the intimacy of a secluded island village. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Marriott, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, Booking.com, Travelocity, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Renaissance Koh Samui Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Renaissance Koh Samui Resort And Spa
- Renaissance Koh Samui Hotel Lamai Beach
- Koh Samui Renaissance
- Renaissance Koh Samui Resort & Spa Ko Samui/Lamai Beach