“Great Stay @ Renaissance Koh Samui Resort & Spa”

Renaissance Koh Samui Resort & Spa
Ranked #5 of 51 Hotels in Lamai Beach
Reviewed July 30, 2012

We went to Renaisssance Koh Samui Resort & Spa for our Regional Meeting. In fact, we were trying to find the right hotel to best fit our ~40 people including meeting room facility.
In our inspection trip, we found that Renaissance Koh Samui Resort & Spa could meet all of our requirements. Lutz (General Manager) was the one who took us around for inspection. Many of hotel staffs named us on the next day of having Breakfast at hotel restaurant. We were so impressed. Never been disappointed, our group meeting and activites went very smooth every day and night with big support from the event manager - Khun Wat. The feedback from our team was great. Thanks to all hotel staffs!. Hotel facilities were very glorious. Services were outstanding plus big smiles were all around the hotel. We felt like home!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Neeke999

Reviewed July 11, 2012 via mobile

We have just had six nites at this hotel.we had a delux room which included breakfast in the price.there was pro,s and cons to this hotel.the plus side was the friendly ness of the staff,the lovely breakfast served between 6am and 11am.breakfast had a big variety of things such as egg station,pancake station.western and Thai choices,fruits,juices etc. location wise it was alittle out of the way.i walked both the beach and road way to lamai centre and was a good 40 min walk.the hotel however provides free shuttle buses twice a day to chaweng and lamai.however times not that great.from hotel to lamai and chaweng 1pm and 4.30pm.return from chaweng 5pm and 6pm from lamai.if you want a night out will need to get taxi or shared taxi back.a shared taxi cost 100 bhat per person from both chaweng and lamai.a taxi from chaweng to hotel cost 300 bhat.if you are looking for a taxi to airport it should cost 400 bhat,however if you get hotel taxi I believe it costs 900 bhat.when we arrived at hotel even though hotel was fully paid for they ask for bank card details.i was,nt happy to do this so asked for 12,000 bhat up front for usage of mini bar etc.i declined and said I will pay as I buy items or they can empty mini bar from room which they did.mini bars costs was 100 bhat for small can of beer,240 bhat for large Evan water by bed.however hotel provides two free waters each day and free tea and coffee in room.can,t remember other mini bar prices.we just filled fridge with items from 7-11.four Chang beers just 106 bhat,cans of pop 14 bhat,water 7 bhat.a small beer at hotel pool 200 bhat or three for 400 bhat.if you walk one min to the left you can go to uncle rangs for cheap food and drink.a large beer 117 bhat.a nice place to eat is jr restaurnt just a couple of mins down the hotel lane.very nice food and good prices.room was average and needs abit of a upgrade considering prices paid.a couple of probs with bath tube on balcony and blinds but was fixed quickly when called to report problem.would,nt reccomend jacuzzi as came out green in color.from our room to beach around a five min walk to beach,as needed to take two lifts to get there.there is a nice library for all your needs and free wifi if join Marriott card which is free to join.otherwise 295 bhat a day.

• Stayed: July 2012
4  Thank chelseawolves
RenaissanceKohSamui, General Manager at Renaissance Koh Samui Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2012

Dear Chelseawolves,

Warm greetings from the Renaissance Koh Samui Resort & Spa.

Thank you for taking the time to reflect on your experience in the Renaissance Koh Samui Resort & Spa. Your review, which clearly lists your perceived pros and cons during your stay with us, helps to continuously improve the hotel experience of our guests and for that we are very grateful.

We like to thank you for recognizing the efforts of our associates and we are happy to hear that you enjoyed the breakfast in our Banana Leaf Restaurant.
As you mentioned in your review, the Renaissance Koh Samui Resort & Spa is located in the calm and peaceful bay of Lamai, approximately 3 km away from the town Lamai and 8 km from the hustle and bustle of Chaweng. For the convenience of our guests, we indeed provide complimentary transportation to both areas. However, as you mentioned that the shuttle bus times were not completely to your satisfaction, we will make sure to look into expanding this service during the coming high season.

Furthermore, let me please clarify that we offer our guests the possibility to make a “pre-authorization” of their credit card when they arrive, so they may charge any expenses made in the various hotel outlets (and mini bar) directly to their room. This pre-authorization conducts a check of the credit card for a certain amount, but nothing is charged to the card at that point of time.This way, our guests do not have to worry about carrying sufficient cash money or changing currencies during their stay in our resort. Subsequently, upon check-out, we are able to deduct the total expenses from the pre-authorization or we can release the full amount. In addition, and as mentioned by you, guests are also more than welcome to pay direct to any of our outlets and therefore a credit card authorization is not obligatory.

Finally, I am very sorry to read that you encountered several issues with us during your six night stay and I apologize for the fact that your Jacuzzi supplied green water, I assure you that the necessary measures have been taken.
I hope that when your travels will bring you back to Koh Samui one day, you will visit us again, I am convinced we will be able to provide you with an improved experience.

Dear Chelseawolves, thank you again for your valuable feedback and for your stay in the Renaissance Koh Samui Resort & Spa. Should there be anything else that I can be as of assistance with, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

With best regards,

Reviewed July 11, 2012

My girlfriend and I had a great 8 night stay at this resort, where we were taken great care of by Lutz and his team.

The villas were fantastic: private, clean, comfortable and the sea view from the bed was wonderful to wake up to.

Food was good, with a nice variety and the staff recognised us. We ate a number of evenings at the resort - and whilst it is expensive compared to the out of resort restaurants, we had no problems with the food.. The barbeque night and steak night were great.

I enjoyed the prior posters comment about the sausage. Whilst they are in no way the highest quality sausage, I had the same served to me at the Renaissance Bangkok. Seems to be a renaissance Thailand thing.

It is a resort, so marriott rewards perks are limited as there is no lounge etc. It is impossible to swim at the hotel beach.

Would without haste recommend the resort to my friends.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JDizzle123
Reviewed July 10, 2012

Just a little background on us, we have been to many beaches in the Cabribbean, Mexico, and Thailand have stayed at both all includsive hotels and 5 stars hotels.
My family stayed here at the beginning of July 2012. We flew in directly from Bangkok which was a quick and easy flight via Bangkok Airways. It is about 25 minutes drive from the airport. It is secluded on a small beach. It is a small hotel and quiet. We stayed in a king bedroom that is connected to another room in the building toward the back. It is a 5 minutes walk to the beach / pool on the beach. The room is clean and comfortable. Breakfast buffet is pretty good and have enough choices for everyone. The pool on the beach is a bit small. The beach is not swimmable. There are a lot of coral peices all over the beach and the tide was very low. I would not recommend this hotel with family who wants to swim in the ocean and play on the sand. We never eat other meals in the hotel so I can't comment on that.
In general, a nice, quiet, clean hotel. The staffs are very nice and friendly.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank eMOM_2002

Dear eMOM_2002,

Warm greetings from the Renaissance Koh Samui Resort & Spa.

Thank you for stay with us at the beginning of July and for finding the time to write a review on your experience in the Renaissance Koh Samui resort & Spa. As it is with help and input as your review that we are able to consistently improve the hotel experience of our guests, we are very grateful for your timely input.

We are happy to find out that you perceived the hotel as overall nice, clean and quiet. As our resort boasts ‘only’ 78 accommodations, we are indeed able to keep our ambiance intimate and peaceful. As a result, however, also our facilities such as the pool at the beachside are designed with this purpose in mind. As you indicate that the pool was a tad small, I truly hope you managed to enjoy our other pool as well, to wit, the 50 meter long Leelawadee pool which is much more suitable for activities such as lap swimming.

We fully understand your disappointment regarding the beach at our resort, as it is not possible to swim in clear, deep blue water. Momentarily, we are still experiencing a low tide at the Lamai Bay and due to the natural reef in front of our beach, we are not able to provide our guests with the beach experience we know from the island’s postcards. I am happy to inform you, however, that from August onwards the tide will be much higher and the water levels will return to normal ‘waist height’.

I truly hope you will have the opportunity to return to Samui once more and that you will enjoy the beach experience your family is looking for.

Dear eMOM_2002, thank you for your stay with us should there be anything else that I can be as of assistance with, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Warm regards,

Reviewed July 8, 2012

The sea views from the top floors were truly amazing. You're effectively about 10 floors above sea level and have a great angle. Late sleepers should beware the evil rooster, though. I actually thought about trying to buy half of him (if you've read Pudd'nhead Wilson you'll know what I mean).

Some previous reviewers mentioned that the restaurant and staff weren't up to standards for the category. We found quite the opposite to be true, which perhaps is due to new management. Every person we met was very friendly and welcoming, especially in the restaurant. They fixed problems quickly and without penny-pinching. Our experience here was on a par with the fabulous Renaissance Bangkok (where we've spent many weeks).

Breakfast in the restaurant was very good, especially considering that it's not a big resort. They had fresh juice, a few cook stations, some lunch-type dishes, and some great pastries (especially the chocolate danish, which had the most chocolate I've seen inside a pastry). During lunch and dinner, the restaurant had the typical resort prices, but the food was pretty good. You just have to ask for spicy if you don't want "farang thai food".

There is a lap pool uphill and an infinity pool down near the beach. Both are nice, but not expansive, since it's not a large resort. The hotel was at about 70% occupancy (they said) and the pools did not seem at all crowded. The beach itself immediately in front of the hotel is not great for swimming, but you can walk to better beaches or take the shuttle.

The free shuttles to Lamai and Chawaeng beach run twice a day (stopping at McDonalds in both cases), which worked perfectly for us. We didn't have trouble getting a seat, though it's good to book well in advance just in case. There are a few restaurants in walking distance of the hotel, if you don't want to pay resort prices, though our dish from "Uncle Rung's" was just so-so.

Room Tip: The seaviews are worth it. Or go for a pool villa if you want privacy and a place to dip when it ge...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Eric R
Reviewed July 7, 2012

Very picturesque hotel with staff that will go any length to make your stay a pleasant one.

Pro's: lovely pools, staff, picturesque
Con's: private jacuzzi filled with green water, sausages, beach

Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 7, 2012

We arrived there last week and was looking forward to great food and stay. When we arrived there, we had our lunch at the Banana Leaf and was served frozen bread. After informing the staff that it was frozen, it was brought back and heated up but it was still cold but not frozen.We ordered noodles and 1 of them was not cooked and was returned. Frankly we have never been served food which was uncooked or frozen before anywhere in the world. We complained and the cook came out to apologize. We got a plate of cut fruits as an apology I guess but this was a bad start to our holiday. I saw the complaints below but looks like the standard of food is still the same? But I must say that the hotel staff at the front desk were very helpful except for one lady whom I booked the space for the bus to go to Lamai and she apparently did not bother to write down and the bus was full and the poor staff in the evening was trying to juggle and it was lucky that somebody did not show up. This was not a pleasant holiday!

Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank 605din123

Dear 605din123,

Warm greetings from The Renaissance Koh Samui Resort & Spa, I hope this message finds you well.

First of all, I would like to thank you for taking the time and making the effort of providing a review on your stay in our resort. As it is with help and input as yours that we are able to continuously improve the hotel experience of our guests, we sincerely appreciate your feedback.

I am terribly sorry to read that your stay with us did not meet your expectations and that you perceive your trip to Koh Samui as an unpleasant holiday. I have to apologize for the quality of food you encountered during your lunch in the Banana Leaf Restaurant; frozen bread and uncooked noodles are of course not up to the standards you rightfully expect from us.

Please be assured that our recently engaged Food and Beverage Director, together with our Executive Chef, are working hard in order to avoid such unacceptable issues from happening in the future and that your feedback made us take a closer look of our Beverage Food standards in Banana Leaf and the other resort outlets, even though incident like the you experienced do not happen on a regular basis.

In addition, I am very sorry to learn that you almost encountered another disappointment during your stay as we forgot to note your reservation for the shuttle bus. However, I would like to thank you for still recognizing the best efforts of our Front Office Associates and I am happy to inform you that we are providing extra vans driving to Lamai and Chaweng in the high season. This way, guests will never have to be disappointed, not even when the mistake is on us.
Finally, I would like to thank you for your stay in the Renaissance Koh Samui Resort & Spa and for your valuable feedback. I hope that when your travels bring you back to Koh Samui, you will come by to see how we used your comments in order to improve our hotel services. Dear 605din123, should there be anything else that I can be as of assistance with, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

With best regards,

Le Meridien Koh Samui Resort & Spa
Rocky's Boutique Resort
Rocky's Boutique Resort
#2 of 51 in Lamai Beach

Been to Renaissance Koh Samui Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!