“Excellent food, relaxed atmosphere and friendly service”

Kob Thai Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 162 Restaurants in Lamai Beach
Cuisines: Thai
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: A very quiet setting , in the nature , 600 meters from the center of Lamai ( in the street of Coco Splash Water park), well isolated tables ( under wooden salas), and a small cute swimming pool. A very authentic thai food ( let's try our thai discovering menu , with 8 dishes to share for 2).Very romantic atmosphere at night.
Reviewed June 24, 2013

We recently made our second visit to Kob Thai. It wasn't a disappointment! The food was delicious. My partner ordered a penang curry which would be considered one of the best in the two years of living in Thailand. I ordered my favourite pad krapow which was very tasty!

The food was really good value for money although perhaps the curry could be a larger portion (mostly because you don't want to stop eating it).

The service was really fast and friendly. I'd recommend to anyone to take a visit. The owner came over for a chat at the end and that was a nice touch.

We will be back!

There are newer reviews for Kob Thai Restaurant

Reviewed June 11, 2013

We dined at Kob Thai after reading the many great reviews on trip advisor - and boy we were not disappointed. It was our first night in Koh Samui so it took us a while to find the restaurant on our little scooter in the dark, however there was a huge purple billboard sign which helped us locate it. The atmosphere is very relaxed and friendly and we were greeted with big smiles.

We sat in one of the little huts nearest the road, the waitress was attentive and the food came out very quickly. I'm still amazed at how extensive the menus are in Thailand, and all of the food we ordered was cooked fresh.

For starter we ordered the fish cakes and spring roles to share. The spring roles were the best we've ever had; fresh and authentic and the fish cakes were like nothing we'd tried before. Back in Sydney Thai fish cakes are always rubbery and a bit shiny - these were fresh crisp and served with both sweet chilli sauce and a light yoghurt dip.

For main I ordered fried prawn with rice and my husband ordered the beef Penang curry. Both were delicious, and although looked small when brought to the table - we were completely satisfied afterwards.

While eating our mains we were greeted at the table by the French owner; who took the time to speak with each table in the restaurant. He told us our Penang curry was made by a 60 year old thai lady who has cooked curries all her life, and it showed. 'This is the best curry I've ever had' we're my husbands words.

Needless to say we are going back for lunch and cannot wait - I think we'll try the tasting menu this time!

Thoroughly recommend you try this restaurant - the value for money is ridiculous for the quality of the food brought to the table!

1  Thank Mirella J
Reviewed June 10, 2013

This place was quite difficult to find he first time we visited and we almost gave up and headed back to the main strip - we were very glad we persevered.

The first time we visited we had the tasting menu and this was probably the highlight.

They explained that they hold back on the chilli unless you request more. I found this allowed us to appreciate all the other wonderful flavours but the second time we visited we did request they increase the heat.

From the tasting menu the curried lobster, beef curry and mango sticky rice really stood out. The waitress remember us and our drinks orders the second time we visited which really made me smile.

It was also nice to see Thai children running around and enjoying the pool in such a lovely environment.

From our weeks visit nothing on the Main Street in Lamai came close to this place and I would strongly recommend a visit.

Reviewed June 6, 2013

Had a nice dinner here, paenag curry and coconut chicken soup. Added rice too each. Very flavorful, but tapa sized portions. Would eat here again, but for lunch or in between meals. The banana shake is very yummy.

Reviewed May 24, 2013

I was looking for a authentic Thai restaurant which would serve good food and be clean. Kob Thai was great for this. The food we had was really good - especially the fried rice with ananas and prawns. Kob comes to the tables and talked to her guests which is really nice. Service is also very friendly. Only the location is not really great, but it is quiet so it is ok. Would recommend it.