“Great evening”

Ranked #42 of 166 Restaurants in Lamai Beach
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed September 23, 2012

We have been on the island for two weeks and enjoyed the seven course tasting menu last night on the rocks as the sun went down. We arrived at 6pm and ensured we got a table on the rocks and could watch the sun set. The staff welcomed us and were extremely attentive throughout the meal. The food was amazing. Holiday highlight lovely yummy gorgeous. The chef is a god. It is a must for any foodies!!!

1  Thank SarahFergus0n

Reviewed September 19, 2012

My hopes were high for this location. I was seeking a pleasant dining experience, with quality food at reasonable prices. With that said, what I can tell you, is the service was absent, no seating assistance upon arrival. Have to wait over 10 minutes just to be presented the menu. Drinking water wasn't offered while deciding on what to eat, which you might expect from a Resort, or at least a cold towel, to help cool the customers down. The trek to the restaurant takes some time to make, but isn't as far as some location. The staff seemed more concerned with their own conversations amongst themselves than attending to the customers there. Once I could finally flag down a waiter/waitress, my order was taken, when asked what the special was for the day, I was simply informed "isn't any". So I ordered what I hoped would be a delicious hamburger, with imported beef, but that wasn't the case.
Local beef, being passed on with imported prices. Portions were small, and prices way over charged for the local ingredients. Was a let down in every sense of the word. Flagged down the staff for the check, since there was no quality assurance, or attention to my party after the order was delivered. Again the staff was just concerned with their own conversations taking place between each other. Wouldn't recommend attending this location, and certainly won't be returning in this life time.

1  Thank highfi
Reviewed September 10, 2012

The strange thing about Koh Samui is that many of the better restaurants seem to open only for dinner. So I appreciated the fact that The Dining Room (TDR) was open for lunch. However, one of the managers told me it's much better to visit for dinner (most of the resorts guests apparently eat lunch at the resort's bistro instead), as the menu is more extensive and the restaurant has a lot more buzz, not to mention a great view of the sunset. So the menu is more limited at lunch but the upside is, it's a lot less crowded.

The sea view and the sea breeze created a great setting for a lazy lunch. My wife and I shared a couple of pastas and a chicken satay starter. The food is not bad, though nothing to shout about. However, it's good value considering the prices were reasonably low (the dinner menu could be more expensive). The service on the other hand, was quite ordinary, waitresses seemed a bit nonchalant at times.

Reviewed August 28, 2012

We came expecting a fine dining experience. First impressions were stunning; the place is beautiful and we were seated at a nice table.

The illusion was soon broken.. The tablecloth was wet(not soaked but definitively more than damp?!) which was strange. We ordered dirty martinis before the meal and a seven course menu with wine pairing. The martinis were not "dirty" enough (lacking juice from the olives). The amuse bouche (seabass salad) was bland and not very interesting. An upside was the bread which was good.

First course was crabcakes, presented beautifully with an apple salad and a good wine paired to it (the one dish both my wife and I enjoyed). Second course was a lobster bisque wich lacked flavour. Third course was foie gras wich was doused in way too much truffle oil (I thought you could never get enough truffle... Turns out you can.) So far we were dissapointed, the menu sounds nice, but it failed to be fine dining.

Next came sabass (again). The fish was good but again nothing special, but the sides were greasy and not good. We asked for some more wine and were met with confusion from the staff... After the seabass we waited at least 20 minutes before We received a peach sorbet, the staff came after 1 minute to clear it away.. By this time the staff were yelling to each other and clearing away tables.. Not what you expect at a fine dining establishment.

By the time the meat arrived we were fed up. To top it off the meat was cold.

Throughout the night the staff had been unable to answer questions about the food and the wine, so when we saw the mananger we called him over and asked for the bill not wanting to complete our meal. He was very gracious and helpful, this was apparently not how most guests experienced the dining room. He gave us the meal on the house and got a driver for us (also free) furthermore, we got an invitation to return so that we could experience it the way it should be.

Thanks to the manager for salvaging an otherwise not so great experience.

The place is stunning, if they get the staff trained and the food up to the standards they are aiming for I'm sure it would be a great experience.

1  Thank MikkelN4
Reviewed August 12, 2012

We absolutely loved food in the Dining Room! It was so delicious and very well presented. It exceeded all our expectations. They offer an interesting mix of local Thai cuisine with a delicate French touch to it. Very original and new.
The restaurant's layout is beautiful, they have a couple of quiet tables for a romantic dinner, and the main room is beautifully set in the best Thai traditions. If you're looking for a fine dining that would not cost you a fortune, but will truly impress you - go to the Dining Room!

1  Thank Daryna