“Excellent pizza, very reasonable drink prices.”
Review of Tropicana

Tropicana
Ranked #23 of 172 Restaurants in Lamai Beach
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Description: "Trattoria-style" Italian restaurant & Pizzeria located in center Lamai on the Lamai Beach road (500 meters before Mcdonalds ).
Reviewed December 2, 2013

We went here tonight after checking tripadvisor for ratings. From our experience tonight the overall rating should be excellent. Most of the the places in Lamai are at absolute best - average. For some reason places with few reviews top the charts.

This place beat all our standards tonight, and we only had a couple of pizzas. Proper Italian pizza with (at our request) anchovies on one, the cappriciosa - which they put on just one half as requested, and pepperoni on the other Quattro formaggio pizza. The flavours were very authentic and the crispness of the individually made pizza bases was perfect.

One thing about pizza usually experienced in Asia - it is usually a flat uncooked frozen bread base which when the cheese is just barely melted is served, so it is usually awful. This place changes all that! Proper hand made bases (not frozen packet kinds) cooked in a proper pizza oven. Decent cheese and good sausage/excellent anchovies.

Plenty of dried chilli and other assorted condiments at the ready. Couldn't fault it.

Diego who came to chat after his staff had looked after us was a super nice guy and very entertaining. He is very warm and welcoming and we shared lots of ideas on the world with each other. Before we leave in a few days time I can see us having more meals here.

One last thing, before you get sucked into what seems like cheap food deals - check the wine/drinks list. You may have cheap food but pay three times the price in drinks. In our experience tonight Diego charges reasonable drink prices to match the great food. It's better to have lots of satisfied customers rather than a couple of well paying customers right? Diego has the concept sorted! Bravo and thank you!!

A definite must try over the seafood spruikers in the street.

Reviewed November 24, 2013

Extremely impressed with the attention to detail, from the spaghetti carbonara to the limoncello. Did not expect authentic and loving italian food like this in a tourist area like Koh Samui. We only wish we had more time to enjoy more meals here. The owners clearly know what they are doing.

1  Thank DC N
Reviewed November 23, 2013

I eat here regularly, and every time I am again very pleased with what I get. The pasta's and bruchetta's are very good, and the carpaccio is something I would recommend. The staff is very friendly and helpful every time. Be sure to try the housewines, the price is very very good for what you get (especially if you look at the prices of wine at many restaurant).

One point of improvement I would like to mention is the lasagne. I had the lasagne once for take away, and it was very dry and tasteless. Can happen of course, mistakes can be made.

All in all I would certainly recommend visiting this restaurant!

Reviewed November 18, 2013

Decent food for a good price. We ate here twice on our stay in Lamai and it was good. Good Italian and good other European dishes. Half decent service.

Reviewed October 27, 2013

All, I can say for my work traveling experienced, Tropicana is the best!... I do like European food often, be-caused it is similar to my local food in the Philippines! And I used to eat western foods since 14 years old!..... And I do eat in Tropicana some times when I finish work, I have to order a food for take away!... It is yummy and I love the Italian desert's.. Tropicana Restaurant in Lamai, it is the real macoy, I mean a proper Italian food style, Be-caused the kitchen was manage by a proper Italian cook!..