“Best hotel we stayed in Samui for a small budget!!!”
Review of Palm Coco Mantra

Palm Coco Mantra
Ranked #1 of 45 Lamai Beach B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 5, 2013

We stayed in this hotel for two nights. As soon as we arrived the receptionist welcomed us very friendly and showed us our room. First time in Thailand when all the staff spoke conversational english. The breakfast was amazing with lots of fruits, cereals, english breakfast. The romm was very clean modern and tidy with a real 4 star bed, they had lots of free amnities, the room was cleaned daily. Fast internet all around the property. They beach was very nice same as on the photos and they have free kayak to take and we even see the cleaner lady sweeping the sand and cleaning the beach from derbits. But if you want to be around the town than it's better to have a scooter rented because it could take a while to get into the town, but apart of that this is a super nice hotel with a beautiful beach and very friendly staff. I hope I can come back and enjoy this place again.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Gabor C

Reviewed November 13, 2013

Great place to stay. Room I had faced the sea with a veranda and was exactly what I wanted. The room was spacious, clean, with standard amenities and including wifi which worked very well. The hotel had a lovely swimming pool right next to the beach. The buffet breakfast was ample and the restaurant's offerings were quite substantial and the lunch/dinners I had were very good. This hotel is worth staying at. One suggestion is that a guest needs to rent a moto bike as the location is a little out of the way. When riding be cautious and all will be ok.

Room Tip: Higher floors offer better view of the ocean
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank pdbpdx
Reviewed November 8, 2013

I stayed here for 4 nights on a solo holiday and it was absolutely amazing! Its so peaceful and the people were so wonderful and helpful. I stayed in the deluxe sea view room and it was spacious, clean, had the biggest and comfiest bed, and was beautifully decorated (and the view is stunning!). The pool looks right over the sea and the bit of beach that this resort is on is small and quiet. The sea is shallow and peaceful and perfect to just laze in. It is about a 20 minute walk to Lamai beach road (or Lamai town as such)so if you are looking for a quiet, relaxed holiday where you are happy to just stay at your resort, then this is the place. The restaurant has a wide variety of Thai and Western foods and the breakfast is of a good standard. Overall, I loved this resort and if you wan a holiday to just relax in a quiet, peaceful setting away from everything, then this is the place to be!

Room Tip: Deluxe Seaview is the way to go!
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank Cadia D
Reviewed July 6, 2013

We spent our first 24 hours in Koh Samui at this resort while waiting for our longer term accommodation bookings. The airport pickup was waiting for us and we checked in several hours early. The room was spotless with coffee station and fridge. The ground floor room was the nearest to reception and offered a magnificent view of the Lamai bay and hotel swimming pool. The bathroom boasts a large shower. The negatives - too close to a noisy reception and business centre - get a room further away. The shower window does not offer privacy to females from the waist up - clear glass with no curtain. The resort is a good 2km away from the Lamai main strip - a long walk, short taxi ride or - recommended - hire a scooter. Unfortunately the pool was undergoing pump repairs and the water was not sparkling clean. The breakfast is just OK and there is limited parking. The positives - great TV channels, free Wifi, friendly and helpful staff, free airport transfers, aircon, on the beach, comfortable bed. This is a reasonably-priced average resort, perfect for a budget holiday.

Room Tip: Avoid ground floor units.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Ratfink
Reviewed June 4, 2013 via mobile

This is the kind of hotel where you can laze around the whole day. It is not luxurious but it has a good size pool n the beach is just a few steps away. Beach is clean with fine sand and the waters knee high. In fact it is almost a lagoon. The hotel shares the same private beach with next door 5-star hotel, Renaissance. Breakfast is average but it serves a variety of tropical fruits. It may not have a strong restaurant but a plate of Thai fried noodles cost 120 baht. Points to note: go for the deluxe rooms which are much bigger n better furnished than the superior rooms. Price difference is about 200 baht. For older guests do request 1st floor rooms cos there are no lifts.

• Stayed: June 2013
2  Thank Laksa6
Reviewed May 3, 2013

My husband and I went there for 4 nights. We asked the hotel to arrange the airport pick up and they charge us with a very good price (even cheaper than the taxi from airport), our flight was delayed for almost an hour but when we arrived at the airport, the hotel's driver Mr.Eik greet us with big smile and with limited English welcome us and try to give us informations about Samui. The check in went well and really fast. We booked the sea-view room but we are so pleased to know that the hotel upgrade our room to the Deluxe Sea-view Room. The room is very spacious and clean, and great view to the swimming pool and the sea. The bathroom also have a window with the view to the sea. The hotel also provide free internet access everywhere in the hotel area.

The staff are really friendly, especially the restaurant staff. They will make you feel at home and try their best to make you feel comfortable. They have the best banana with coconut milk! The food price also cheaper than other restaurants in that location.

The location is quite remote so it's perfect if you are looking for a quiet place. The guest can rent a motorbike from the hotel for 200 Baht for 24 hours. The sea near the hotel is really shallow so don't expect to swim there (we already aware about it when we booked the hotel), but the hotel have a kayak free to use for the hotel guest.

We love this hotel and will definitely stay there again if we visit Koh Samui.

Room Tip: The Deluxe Sea View room is bigger than the villa and have better view.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank SunBJ
Reviewed April 11, 2013

This is probably the most difficult review I have done because of the issue I had when I checked-in. When I arrived, the Reception employee informed me that the villa I booked for 4 nights was not available. They had booked me in a standard room for one night, a deluxe room for one night and finally the villa for the remaining two nights. Needless to say I was not happy and when I voiced my discontent I was told that the Hotel always has problems with Expedia and that I only booked 24 hours in advance which was not enough notice for the Hotel !!! I explained that my funds were accepted without any problems !! The employee then proceeded to tell me that I could call Expedia to cancel my booking and find accommodation elsewhere. I had a copy of my booking and showed her that it was a non-refundable booking so that was not an option. After pressing the issue, I asked if they had a "sister" property which could accommodate me and they finally agreed to send me to the "Cinnamon" Hotel for the first two nights and I returned to this property for my last two nights. They also provided a taxi to move to the other Hotel and free use of a motorbike for two days to make up for the inconvenience. It all worked out in the end but only because I pressed the issue as I feel they would not have gone through the trouble had I not.

As far as the property is concerned, I had a villa which was located only a few steps away from the pool, restaurant and sea so it was very convenient. The room was nice and relatively clean although there was quite a lot of mold at the bottom of the shower. The floor always looks dirty as another reviewer pointed out which is due to the material that was used. The a/c worked well, good water pressure and hot water. No issues there. I had breakfast included and the choice was very good with a mix of Western and Asian cuisine. The restaurant staff was very nice.

The pool is very nice and towels are provided free of charge. You can walk to the beach but note that the beach if very very shallow in that area. You will need to travel about 10 minutes further to Lamai beach if you want to have a proper swim. Rent a motorbike to get around but be careful. Samui has the highest percentage of accidents in Thailand. Wear a helmet and take your time.

All in all not a bad property but I am only rating it as average due to my experience at check-in and because there are many options in Samui as I discovered by walking/driving around. I recommend this property if you get a good price for the room but shop around as there many options.

Room Tip: I had a look at a Deluxe room the day I left and it is bigger than the villa and also has sea view s...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
Coco Palm Beach Resort
Coco Palm Beach Resort
#14 of 30 in Mae Nam
Pavilion Samui Villas & Resort

Been to Palm Coco Mantra? Share your experiences!