“Totally Recommended...”

Beluga Boutique Hotel
Ranked #2 of 45 Lamai Beach B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 6, 2012

We stayed at Dinky Rock for 3 days and it was fantastic... the location is great, staff were friendly and helpful and the rooms were also very comfortable. Really could not fault our stay.

• Stayed: June 2012
4  Thank Loicfields

Reviewed April 22, 2012

i had the best time in the drem place Dinky Rock, the staf the oner the atmosfer the rooms the food , i came for 4 nights and i foll in love in the place and stay 20 nights no woreds
can tell U must be there to fill and see

Room Tip: All rooms are verey good
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Ofir H
Reviewed April 11, 2012

Discovering Samui on a 5-days week-end, I had a great time. 14 rooms only, so not too packed, it is a perfect place for a couple to rest and enjoy Samui. Lamai beach area is very calm, but a few nice seafood restaurants are available around. If you want some action, you can rent a motorbike and go to Chaweng beach, where there are plenty of restaurants and bars.

Owners and the staff: very nice and helpful
Rooms: clean, comfortable, the right size, good choice of TV channels (thanks for Syfy!)
Bathroom: cute, roomy and clean
Nice beach access and swimming pool

In short: I want to go back!! :-)

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank GaiUan
Reviewed March 25, 2012

I heard about this place from a friend, stayed here for two nights and pleasantly surprised at how nice the place is. Very great location, just in front of the beach. New, clean room, comfortable bed, and very friendly service from the staff. It's not quite a hotel, probably more like a boutique hotel. The food at the restaurant is also quite good - didn't really have to venture out, perfect place to chill and relax.

Room Tip: If you prefer some privacy, recommend to take the rooms on the first floor (as opposed to the ground...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank K H
Reviewed March 19, 2012

We are just back from an 8 days holiday in Ko Samui and Ko Tao, we spent a total of 4 nights at the Dinky Rock, located 5 minutes car from the crowdy Lamai Beach, right on a beautiful rock and clean beach. This boutique hotel is relaxing, very well kept, and the managment is great. 14 nice rooms with a very comfortable king bed, bathroom is clean and modern.
The beach is just in front of you and a tiny but very nice pool is right in front of the rooms location. During the evening we enjoyed the atmosphere and the music on the lounge bar (again, relaxing, no confusion here...) playing pool. If you would like to dine and spend the evening in Lamai Beach just take a local taxi on the corner or hire a motorbike, you may also walk on the beach (15 minutes). Breakfast is complete with a great selection of french bread and croissants, and real fresh orange juice along with your favoutire eggs. Thanks again to the manager and the staff for the professional work.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank roberto s
Reviewed March 1, 2012

We stayed at this place 7 days (more than initially planned) - and we loved it:

Plus:
- the rooms are super cool & very very clean (we checked out the superior and front ocean view), the bathrooms were amazing too (rainfallshowers)
- great sun lounging area and a nice little pool to cool down (if you are not into the other massive salty pool right in front of the property)
- the whole place is very stylish (see pictures)
- very friendly & fun staff
- free wifi
- only 14 rooms, so it does not feel crowded at all
- amazing breakfast with freshly pressed orange juice, fruits, eggs, great bread and french pastries
- it's quiet, so you'll definitely get a relaxing sleep (though the beds are on the firmer side of the spectrum)
- very good cocktails
- a short walk onto the main road and you can easily get via taxi or those red tuck-tuck busses to anywhere on the island; walking from lamai centre via the beach is a bit long (especially at night)

Minus:
- a couple of times we had an unpleasant smell in the bathroom, it seems to have come from the outside rather than the plumbing itself, the provided scented oil do mask it though
- there were not many information available on what to do during your stay other than relaxing, some info on tours, excursions, spas etc would have been good (tripadvisor helped us out, though)
- a computer / printer would have been nice (but that might be more of a backpacker requirement :-)

Other:
- we are fussy about our food, while the breakfast was great; we didn't think the other food quite held up to that high standard, with the European options being generally better than the Thai ones. That said, after trying other places on the beach, The Dinky Rock was easily the best of them - so I'd definitely recommend it for lunch if you are staying in or around the resort; for options around the resort: there is a Thai place called "Sabainglae" if you walk down 150m to the left on the main road that's really good and better than anything we tried in Lamai town.
- there seem to be a lot of French at this place atm (probably because the owners are French and did some promotion over there), but all the staff speak English just fine
- not cheap, but still great value for money considering what you get; it was definitely a treat for us
- as its a new place they were running an introductory promotion at the time, check out the website if they still have that pretty sweet 50% off deal

We liked it. A Lot!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank artifish
Reviewed February 29, 2012

This was definitely my favorite hotel in Thailand.

Towards the end of a week-long stay in a Samui vacation rental, I started thinking about options for where to stay the last 4 nights. While visiting Lamai Beach, at the very end of the beach I noticed this modern looking boutique hotel. I decided to go in to inquire with the staff about a room, and a friendly (French?) man greeted me. He told me about the special rate and gave me his card (he was the CEO).

I gave it a day of thought and booked the hotel on Agoda, despite the price being a little higher than I wanted to pay. I didn't regret it for one second.

On arrival, a bit early for check in, ice cream was provided, a delicious mint chocolate chip, as well as drinking water. This type of service was continued throughout the stay.

The room was checked by the same man who I'd met two days before, and following the ice cream, I went inside.

The room itself is a little small, filled about halfway with a huge king size bed. Personally, I don't care because I only really used it to shower and sleep anyhow. The bathroom was very large and each day the maids left a candle and scented oil burning which smelled wonderful.

The basic amenities were provided, towels, cable TV, safe, refrigerator (which ran a little warm), and closet. The room design was nice and clean, though the towel rack in the bathroom was a little loose (it didn't however manage to break during my stay so that is of no consequence).

Having stayed on a few tropical islands, I have come to accept that almost no room is free of insects. Spiders, ants, flies, and mosquitoes are generally a fact outside of large, impersonal tower hotels. This hotel was the exception to that rule. I didn't see a single ant, mosquito, fly, spider, or lizard inside my room for the entire duration of my stay. I'd think that for many people reading, this is a priceless feature.

The view from even the basic seaview room that I stayed in was at an angle, but still beautiful. The glass of the door during the daytime is very opaque, but at night when your room light is on, people can see inside so if you want privacy you should close the curtain.

The bed was very firm, which some people probably prefer. It did take a night or two to get used to.

I found the staff to be very friendly, genuinely. While most staff that I encountered in other establishments in Thailand seemed to range from faux friendly to mildly angry, the staff at this hotel seemed to actually like their jobs, despite the long hot days in which they worked. Another priceless feature.

I also noticed that the two CEOs were on site every day that I stayed there, managing and supervising, serving, and even bartending. The one who seemed to have the most interaction with guests was very friendly and seemed a bit of a perfectionist, which is a wonderful quality for any hotel manager.

I found the menu to be a bit on the expensive side by Thai standards, but after eating many of the choices, I soon understood why. The view from any table is perfect, and the food is prepared carefully and properly. When the CEO took our order, he made recommendations on the menu and even suggested things that the Chef (yes a real chef not simply a cook) could prepare. He was always careful to make sure everything went well and we wondered aloud if he had run a restaurant before. He was careful to inform us of the preparation time for meals, which I think is a great feature of service, so that you are never wondering why you are waiting for the food to come. I highly recommend the mushroom risotto, which melts in your mouth, and the Italian style pizza which rivals pizza in any restaurant in Italy.

The drinks from the bar are expensive, again by Thai standards, but as water is served free, nobody is holding a gun to your head and making you order drinks. We did anyways, and most of the drinks were delicious. Even the overpriced coconut (about double what you would pay elsewhere) was the best coconut in Thailand. They seem to pick good sized coconuts and they always serve them chilled.

Overall for all that I mention about the prices of food and drinks there, it was well worth it. We ate and drank in the comfort of the hotel for most of our stay, with the best view and atmosphere and still paid much less than we would in Tokyo, Los Angeles, Paris, or New York for the same quality of food.

Speaking of atmosphere, for anyone who starts feeling nauseous when they hear the same top40 music or Justin Bieber on the radio, you'll hear none of that here (sorry Bieber fans). The music ranged from opera to trance, and never did my ears feel polluted. This was nice and perhaps another priceless feature, as anyone knows that 95% of the bars you visit in the world are playing the same 40 songs. If you want to hear that, you can easily take a 10 minute walk down the beach to any one of dozens of bars and restaurants. If I could suggest anything to the owners it would be to perhaps include a bit more native-sounding music to the playlist, but it's really not something to fuss over.

The entire hotel was adorned with rechargeable, cordless, color changing lights, which made for a great ambiance at night to help calm your mood over dinner while listening to the waves crash against the dinky rock.

The free included breakfast was served until around 10:30, and was served with toast, croissants, other breads, cheese, ham, eggs cooked your way, fried potatoes, juice, tea or coffee, fresh fruit, butter, and jam. I couldn't have asked for more, although I must admit on the last day I asked for only one egg instead of two, because I found myself often being almost full by the time it came. Can't complain about that.

The hotel ordered a private car for airport transfer who showed up on time and for 600 baht.

We relaxed at the hotel and had lunch and dinner after checkout, finishing with a few cocktails before departing. The staff all said goodbye and we left knowing that we would certainly stay at this hotel again if we ever had the chance.

Note: Although this hotel is located at the end of Lamai beach, access via road is through Hin Ta Hin Yai. (Grandfather and Grandmother rock). It is not accessed via Lamai Town, to get there you go as if you are going to Hin Ta Hin Yai. The front door is at Hin Ta Hin Yai and the rooms face Lamai Beach, so basically on foot you access via Lamai beach, but by Car, Bus, or Motorbike, you must drive past Lamai towards Waterfall 2, and turn left at Hin Ta Hin Yai (there is a huge sign just past Family Mart). The entrance is on the left. If you rent a car or motorbike let the hotel know because they have organized free parking for guests through the nearest parking lot.

Room Tip: All rooms have a sea view, even the basic ones albeit at an angle.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple