“Cold beer .. good food ... great views ...”

Kon-Tiki New Nordic Beach Restaurant & Bar
Ranked #41 of 162 Restaurants in Lamai Beach
Cuisines: Barbecue, European, Seafood, Thai
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Kontiki New Nordic Beach Bar and Restaurant is the largest beach bar and restaurant on Lamai Beach. Happy Hour Everyday! Kontiki is always a buzz with weekly events such as our popular Lamai Fire Beach Parties Fridays and Mondays. There is something for everybody at Kontiki!
Reviewed August 10, 2014

My wife & I stopped here on a day trip to Lamai (we were staying in Chaweng). We didn't select it specifically, it just happened to be the place we were at when we decided we needed a cold beer and some food.

Found the staff attentive, food good, well priced and the beer was perfect & cold. Great table inside directly looking out onto the beach. We were here at lunch time but if we were staying in Lamai it looks like it would be a great place for an evening meal and several drinks too many.

There are newer reviews for Kon-Tiki New Nordic Beach Restaurant & Bar

Reviewed July 30, 2014

I'm in Samui for around two months staying at the Rich Resort which is just behind the Swing Bar on Lamai beach. I've been here just on a month and I'm loving it here! I'm a freelance writer so on the days that I work I spend all my time in the Swing Bar. I call it my corner office with killer views. The fan's work a treat, you almost forget how hot it is outside. I have a power point near my table. The internet is super quick, the coffee is great, and I'm still working my way through the menu (it's huge!!). Everything I've ordered has been delicious. Quite affordable too especially given the prime location on the better part of Lamai Beach. The staff are super friendly and they always have great music playing. On my day's off I make use of the free sun loungers they have right on the beach, there's nothing more relaxing that sipping a fresh coconut on a sun lounger with such an amazing view. I love it so much here I'll be back again next year!!

3  Thank SugarRae1258
Reviewed July 28, 2014

As my personal kitchen for a month, I have spent a great deal of experiencing their complete menu. No meal has been shortcoming. Every meal prepared perfectly, and served by an amazingly friendly staff. And the bill at the end of dinner, so surprisingly affordable for an island destination. Best part is most nights there is a small fire show, but on Friday and Monday an amazing beach party with people from all over the island coming to watch the amazing talent and human fireworks show. Something unique that I've never seen before, ever. Bottom line, if you come to Koh Samui, eat here at least once, you will be extremely happy you did.

2  Thank GeorgeBabineau
Reviewed July 26, 2014

This will sort of be two reviews in one as I feel it is almost like two different restaurants when comparing the quality of the western food with the Thai food. I'll start with the Thai food as I have a very good lasting impression of the Thai food served here. Staying at the Rich Resort, we ate here a number of times for breakfast and lunch and once for dinner. The all-day breakfasts are really nice, perhaps a little on the expensive side as you can get a decent breakfast on the beach from one of the sellers e.g. donuts, crepes etc for a much more reasonable price. However, myself and my partner wanted to indulge on the English breakfast (living in China leaves little opportunities to eat good sausages, bacon and so on). I ate the pad thai here, which was absolutely delicious, probably the best I've ever tasted. So cheap as well, I think around 90 baht for a decent size plate which filled me up entirely. I had this with chicken and it was perfect.

I also had the pineapple fried rice with chicken and cashew nuts, again a complete delight. The rice was light and not greasy at all, the chicken was cooked perfectly, leaving it incredibly tender. My partner had a few curries at Swing Bar, I think the Massaman curry and the sour yellow curry, both of which he thoroughly enjoyed. Service was always very good and I couldn't really fault that at all as all of the Thai staff are fantastic, polite and really friendly.

Another great thing was the drinks and the sunbeds, which we frequently used given the excellent bonus of free WIFI and such a good setting on a beautiful beach. I recommend the virgin colada to anyone! It's delicious!!

Now onto the bad stuff...we ordered western food one night as it was raining and we weren't really bothered about going to the strip to get a proper meal, so as we were staying over the road it was incredibly convenient. I ordered the Jack Daniel's shrimp and ribs and my partner ordered the Jack Daniel's steak and shrimp. Having seen the photographs outside and both loving a good meat BBQ with a nice glaze, we were really excited. However, we both left feeling INCREDIBLY disappointed. The pictures outside are completely different from the meal you actually get. I'm not sure how you can call something "ribs and shrimp" when you get 3 pathetic looking shrimp which were the size of a bouncy ball. The picture outside Swing shows so many more shrimp and they all look decent in size. It seems maybe they used to do more pleasing portions but have cut down on costs since. The ribs were also incredibly disappointing, the "Jack Daniel's" glaze didn't taste like that at all, it tasted like a really awful thick meat gravy, not what I was expecting at all. The quality of the meat also seemed terrible given there was an awful lot of fat and hardly any meat at all. You're also supposed to get a "full rack of ribs"...which is complete B.S. My partner was also pretty disappointed with his meal, given the menu says 350 baht but it's actually out of date apparently, they've changed the price of this meal to 450 baht but haven't bothered to update their menu. We were both pretty furious about this, and think it's incredibly misleading to not update your menu when you change the price of something as this should be the first thing you should do as a restaurant. Given the location of this place, e.g. not being on the strip, I think they're really ripping you off with the prices of their western food. We went to Asador the night before and had the all you can eat chicken and ribs which was 390 baht and absolutely incredible. Having had this literally perfect meal the night before definitely left me feeling spoilt and having high expectations.

Pros: amazing Thai food, good prices, good breakfast, great location, great staff.

Cons: western food is a total letdown and a complete rip off.

Reviewed July 21, 2014

I just loved this place. Free sunbed for patrons, and great food watching the beach activity from the balcony. Relaxing and fun. The fire show at night was special too.

2  Thank Jonathan F