“Beautiful, relaxing place.”

Ranked #8 of 50 Hotels in Lamai Beach
Brussels, Belgium
“Beautiful, relaxing place.”
Reviewed October 13, 2013

We stayed at le Méridien in September, we have had only good things to say: lots of choice for the breakfast,attentive staff, beautiful gardens, incredible rooms. we asked for a calm room and they choose a place away from
the big groups. the hotel's beach is a bit small but clean, their floating pier-bar is awesome too! the lantern ceremony in the evening is not to be missed. didn't want to leave. you are not far from Lamai and chaweng, but you will need to catch a songthaew to go there, or use their free shuttle service.

• Stayed September 2013
Le_Meridien_Koh_Samu, General Manager at Le Meridien Koh Samui Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 31, 2013
Dear momotchi,

We thank you for your positive feedback about your recent stay experience at our resort. It is good to know that you enjoyed all aspects of your visit and found some special features to enjoy such as the Ocean Pier bar and The Celebration of the Day Ritual at the Le Meridien Hub each evening. Both offer unique experiences and as you mentioned, are not to be missed.

When you are ready for your next relaxing holiday, please keep a return trip to Le Meridien Koh Samui in mind!

Tina Liu

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Perth, Australia
Reviewed October 7, 2013

We selected Le Meridien Koh Samui from a range of luxury 5 stay hotels on the island our decision being swayed by the great range of rooms including the pool access suite which we chose. Having stayed at a large 5 star resort on our most recent holiday we decided to try a smaller boutique property and for the most part weren't disappointed. The service was always friendly and helpful with all staff doing their best to impress. It was easy to tell though that the gardeners were not employed directly as they were the only ones not constantly smiling.

Check in was welcoming and efficient and the room was ready before 2 pm which was fantasitc after traveling for over 8 hours. The room was very well presented and for the most part very clean, only the rockery in the bathroom needing a little bit of attention. The bathroom was an open air type and perfectly suited to the resort, no doubt it was one of the highlights of the room. For me the bed was too soft but Im sure just as many would say its perfect.

Breakfast each morning was excellent for a buffet with a good range of different cuisines which were updated daily, service was prompt and friendly. The restaurant was also used for dinner which we tried once and found the food and service to be also of a high standard if quite expensive.

The grounds are beautiful and combined with the resort architecture impart a tranquil timeless feel , I would suggest that the resort would only be a few years old.

There are really only two things that were a little disappointing firstly the beach isnt really a good place to swim, which is one of my favourite things to do on holiday and although no doubt a brand initiative I think it is in poor taste to charge your account a donation for a charity in this case UNICEF, it has nothing to do with the money and Im was happy to donate, what I dont like is the Le Meridien taking credit for what would be a large donation over time when from what I could tell they dont even match the donation, they simply collect money from guests and then take the kudos. Certainly if I am wrong and the hotel matches the donations from its guests then that would be fantastic but nowhere could I see any indication of this. Happy to be proved wrong.

Overall a great hotel and staff to match.

Room Tip: Pool access suites are great but if you can afford it splurge for the villa with ocean views.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Tim N
Le_Meridien_Koh_Samu, General Manager at Le Meridien Koh Samui Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
Dear Tim N,

You are absolutely right in that our resort offers a range of rooms to suit individual needs and are glad that you enjoyed your selected Pool Access Suites which offer direct access in to a semi-private pool. We're also glad that you enjoyed the overall facilities and associate care.

However, opportunity areas do not go unoticed and we will certainly speak to the landscaping team and expect that they reflect the same culture of friendliness and smile throughout the resort. In regards to bedding, the mattress is lined with a goose down duvet for the ultimate in luxury comfort but this can easily be removed for those who find it too soft.

As for the UNICEF partnership, Starwood has been working with Unicef since 1995 to support a range of projects including immunization against disease, education, water and sanitation to name a few. The success in most part comes with thanks to our Starwood guests who contribute under the Check Out For Children Progam . To add to this, our properties and associates are very passionate about our involvement and there are a multitude of creative fund raising activities undertaken by our hotels and resorts every year in addition to employee fundraising, profit donations and service and accommodation contributions. A recent example of our associate enthusiasm can be found by looking up the "Road to Awareness" campaign which alone has raised $2.5M for Unicef since 2008.

We hope this reassures you of our genuine involvement for a great cause and our genuine appreciation for your support of both Unicef and of course Le Meridien Koh Samui in particular! We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back soon!

Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed October 2, 2013

Spent literally over 4 hours just browsing for hotels in Samui before deciding to stay at Le Meridien Samui. The reviews that we found was very mixed so we were a bit skeptical at first. However being a fan of Le Meridien group we decided to go with our gut feeling and we were not disappointed. We stayed in the veranda suite which was beyond our expectation. Very tastefully designed, spacious and relaxing. Overall the facilities of the general area of the hotel are also very decent and tranquil. The staffs are all very nice, welcoming and helpful. The range of activities on offer are abundant and well suited for a relaxing escape. For a major hotel chain Le Meridien Koh Samui offered us a very personal and boutique-feel. Would definitely consider returning to this hotel again in the future.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank R0j_J
Dear ROj_J,

Wow, we are relieved to learn that after 4 hours of research, you decided to give us a try and were not disappointed! It is wonderful that you went with your gut feeling and chose to have your own experience molded here.

We are indeed a boutique resort with a residential feel and it is good to know that you were comfortable with both the facilities as well as with our associate care. As such, we hope to welcome you back to your Samui home soon!

Reviewed September 21, 2013

The photos provided by the management were much better than the real stuffs I would say but it still looks very nice at the reception and when in our Pavilion pool villa. The private pool is 4m x 4m, good enough size and it looks very clean too during our stay. However the room was really dusty. There was a day bed inside the room and I wasn't dare to sit on it without covering a towel on the bed. The cushions are also very dirty I need to wash my hands after I moved them, so do the curtains.

I guess the design of the villa is to bend in the nature that the bathroom is located outdoor. Felt it was fun for the first 10 seconds only coz then my husband and I were badly biten by the mosquitos. You can imagine whenever you wanted to go to the bathroom to wash your hands, to pee or to brush your teeth you would need to put on the mosquito repellent first, that wasn't fun and for my whole stay there I smelled like mosquito repellent. Its still very itchy now when I am typing this review. I first thought maybe this is a common issue in Koh Samui? but I had a lunch and a dinner in two different resaurants outdoor, I wasn't biten by any mosquitos.

Generally the hotel staff are nice but not all hotel staff can understand english very well. We ordered Dinner Set A and Set C at the restaurant the staff told us we can only order one set and have the same food for two ppl but end up they would deliver Set A and Set B. We ordered hot lemon tea but became hot milk tea. The restaurant staff wasn't very attentive either. When we arrived at the entrance we stood there waited to be seated but even the staff saw us, he wouldn't come over until I walked towards him and told him I want a table. The food wasn't very impressive either. The breakfast was OK but when I saw some dish which was exactly the same as the set dinner the night before, it would easily make me think it's the leftover from last night even it may not.

Comparatively, the staff at the front desk is much more attentive and very helpful. They helped us booked the restaurant and also helped us to arrange car pick up. The staff from the Spa Center helped us to book our snorkelling tour which were very helpful too.

One very disappointed thing is the beach. I thought I could swim in the beach at the hotel but I can't. I don't think anyone seeing that beach would still want to get into the water. The sand was so rocky and the water didn't look pleasant. I walked 20 mins from the hotel beach to the Lamai beach. That's much better and there are hotels located right in front of the Lamai beach where they can walk directly to the beach from the hotel. Maybe I should pick the hotels in that area. Walking 20 mins along the beach under the sun wasn't fun. There is car drop off service from hotel to Lamai beach but it's not daily and only one time session.

The public swmming pool looks very nice too. It's never crowd I guess becoz many rooms have private pools or pool access. There are always vacant sun chairs by the swimming pool.

Overall we had a pleasant stay in this hotel but I don't think I would recommend my friends to stay here nor returning to this hotel again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Milky_P
Le_Meridien_Koh_Samu, General Manager at Le Meridien Koh Samui Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
Dear Milky_P,

It sounds as though you had mixed impressions about your stay and we apologize for any shortfalls which may have caused inconvienience or discomfort.

Your comments have been shared with our teams concerned and they will certainly address each of the points raised. Moreover, we will try to improve our communication of information e.g. different set dinners can certainly be ordered by each person. However, I do want to emphasize that we absolutely do not re-use the same dishes from night before, particularly set dinners as mentioned. We only do a few a night if any and it would not be nearly enough to service our morning buffet which gets turned several times throughout the course of breakfast.

The Pavilion Pool Villa does have a very open bathroom and living space along with pool. Perhaps the Ocean Front Pool Villa with enclosures would be more to your liking. However, this is not in any way an excuse for dust in the room and for this we apologize.

It is good to know that Le Spa and our Guest Service Team took much better care to assist with your itinerary and discovery of Samui island.

The location of Le Meridien at midway point between Lamai and Chaweng, offers convenient access to getting around the island while offering a peaceful and relaxing environment at the resort. Should you return to Samui and discover this aspect, we hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back and will do our best to provide for a more cofortable and enjoyable visit!

Ascot, Berkshire
Reviewed September 20, 2013

Overall a tranquil oasis of calm and relaxation with lovely attentive staff.

But a few annoying thing :

We had pool access suites - there is no way these can be called 'Suites'! There was nowhere to sit, except on the "Sun decking with day bed". There was no sun due to the roof and plant/foliage, also the day bed was fine for one but uncomfortable for two (we had to top & tail as it wasn't wide enough to lie side by side, but too wide to sit with your feet on the ground!). Whilst the bedroom couldn't be described as small, it wasn't huge either. A real niggle was lack of storage space. The small wardrobe was in the un air-conditioned bathroom & apart from a couple of very shallow drawers by the bed there was no other storage for clothes. The bathroom was huge but "open air" aspect was totally unnecessary & unwelcome. There was a small section of unfinished/open ceiling above the shower and toilet which was covered in wire netting and boards. The only thing it did was let in mozzies and other creatures (see my photos) and meant the bathroom wasn't air-conditioned making it extremely uncomfortable. The one and only mirror was in the bathroom which also had dim lighting.

We also totally missed the point of having pool access. You couldn't use the pool and then relax by the side as there was nowhere to do this. You couldn't lie in wet swimwear in the shade (see earlier comment on there being no sun) on your day bed because of the cushions on it. We were expecting a pool to be able to get away from everyone, which it did but you then had to go straight to your room!

The main pool area was small and the beds so packed in it was impossible to change their position. The hotel has access to the beach but it is very narrow and more gravel than sand. The pier? Again we missed the point! You wouldn't want to swim off it due to the amount of seaweed/rubbish which gathered around it, also as it was just floating it felt as if you were walking on a boat!

The pool bar consisted on one table with 4 chairs! However the bar service to the sun beds was excellent.

Reception and Latitude 9 (Bar??) were remote from the rest of the hotel - up steps by the entrance. When we came in after dinner out, this area was always deserted, so apart from sitting at the dining tables in the restaurant there wasn't really anywhere to have a nightcap. Also everywhere seemed to shut early (11 ish).

Location was ok - walking distance to a supermarket and bars/restaurants. But a taxi ride to main towns.

We did enjoy our time here, but would we return - probably not.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear She-Devil2006,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at our resort. We are glad that you generally enjoyed your stay and that the team took good care of you.

Unfortunately, you did not enjoy the Pool Access Suite as mentioned. The special feature outdoor living space is the access point in to the semi-private pool. We try to be very transparent in our room descriptions and photos while our direct website www.lemeridienkohsamui.com also has layouts and floor plans of room. The open air portion which used to be completely opened has been screened off in response to guest feedback and our team will look in to how to better secure these. The Plunge Bar by the pool is mainly intended to service the guests lying around the pool area on their sunbeds but there is a small seating area as mentioned. Latitude 9 at the lobby hub does close at 11pm and is an alternative for those who want to have a drink away from the pool area where they may have been all day. It is a favorite for pre-dinner drinks on the way out and while watching the Celebration of the Day ritual around the reflection pond. Our internet station for public use is also available there as well.

Weather permitting, we also have our Ocean Pier for drinks and dinner, offering a setting under the stars. Additionally, the Ocean Pier at 224m in to the Gulf of Thailand is a highlight for special events and weddings, fish feeding, lazing under the sun and even a good stroll.

I am not sure if you had reached out to our team during your stay and do apologize for any inconveniences caused. To maximize your comfort, we certainly would have liked to address some of your comments with options and assistance where possible.

Should you have the opportunity to return, I hope you will reconsider giving our resort another try. We do have 6 other unique room options, 2 of which are villas with more space and private pools, to choose from.

Petaling Jaya, Malaysia
Reviewed September 19, 2013

Stayed in the pool access room, was deceived by the tiny entrance, the decoration is of chinese colonial style, very zen like. totally love the lobby with shallow pool! Its one of its kind, always loved a Le Meridien property!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank citrusnobilis
Dear citrusnobilis,

Thank you for sharing your enthusiasm! We are thrilled that you loved the design of our resort first and foremost and that your the stay was any enjoyable one. Please do return for a visit when you get the chance.

San Jose, California
Reviewed September 18, 2013

The entrance of the hotel is smelly and lined with alage infested trenches. The lobby is unattractive with a water pond. The staff at the front desk is inattentive. Upon our arrival we waited for 30 mins prior to being assisted. It was a hot day and they didn't even offer a welcome drink or wet towel. Although the check in time is 2 p.m. and we checked in at 3 p.m. our room was not ready. The front desk staff made every attempt to dissuade us from check into our plunge pool suite. They told us that they were upgrading us for free to pool access room which on their website is priced the same plunge pool suite. They even tried to "upgrade" us by asking us to move to another Le Meridien property in Chewang. They wanted our room very badly. The service at the pool and restaurant is slow and inattentive. The breakfast spread is expansive. The whole property is dated and unimpressive. Don't let the photos on the website fool you, the beach is inaccessible because of algae. The hotel offers shuttles to various shopping destinations at odd hours.The manager makes her customary appearance at the breakfast.She is an incompetent woman who is running a Le Meridien like Motel 6. Will not stay at another Le Meridien because of our unpleasant experience at Koh Samui.

Room Tip: Just dont' stay here!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Le_Meridien_Koh_Samu, General Manager at Le Meridien Koh Samui Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 21, 2013
Dear personaindecisa,

I regret to learn that you had a disappointing stay at our resort in July. I certainly would have been more than happy to discuss any of the issues with you during your stay and of course, attempt to make it a more enjoyable experience. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly at tina.liu@lemeridien.com still, as I do take guest feedback seriously to address with the team for improvement.

Unfortunately to start off, it sounds as though the design and location of our resort did not suit your preferences. Le Meridien Koh Samui is built with Feng Shui principles in mind and is intended to give guests a unique sense of place. The reflection pond which lights up at night is one of our most enjoyed features being the venue for the guest interactive Celebration of the Day ritual each evening, weather permitting. If I recall correctly, July experienced quite a bit of wind and rain and as a result, perhaps you did not have a chance to participate due to cancellations.

As for room upgrades, the Pool Access Suite is indeed a category higher than the Plunge Pool Suite, along with price, but by no means are you obligated to change your room type reserved and we apologize if the intentions of our associates did not come across well or communicated properly.

With the hot weather and low tides in July this year, we did get some algae on the shoreline for a brief period but this was by no means a permanent condition. Moeover as mentioned, we do offer daily shuttle service to 2 nearby beaches and are of course on one end of Lamai, the center of which is much deeper and is the 2nd largest beach resort area on the island after Chaweng. The daily schedule leaves at 11am, giving everyone a chance to enjoy the breakfast which ends at 10:30am, particularly as most will have it included in their room rate. The evening shuttle that goes to different parts of town depending on day leaves at 19:45, right after the aforementioned Celebration of the Day ritual which many of our guests join in.

In summary, we apologize for any shortcomings whether due to service or facilities, resulting in your disappointing holiday. Again, I am sure we could have alleviated your frustrations somewhat had we had a chance to address some of your concerns during the stay so that we can do our best to clarify or resolve them while still here. We ask that you not judge your experience with us as an indication of all Le Meridien property eperiences as this is an isolated incident and not necessarily reflective of the brand. Should you have the opportunity, to return to Koh Samui in the future, please do contact me directly and we will do our best to restore your confidence in Le Meridien Koh Samui.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lamai Beach
SALA Samui Choengmon Beach Resort
The Tongsai Bay
The Tongsai Bay
#5 of 186 in Bophut

Been to Le Meridien Koh Samui Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!