“Great Hotel. Not so great beach.”

Le Meridien Koh Samui Resort & Spa
Ranked #8 of 50 Hotels in Lamai Beach
Los Angeles, California
“Great Hotel. Not so great beach.”
Reviewed September 8, 2013

This is a beautiful hotel. The service is good and very friendly. I stayed in a pool villa and it was gorgeous. Very classy, luxurious and traditional Thai. Other positives: there's a nice gym, great restaurant and it's away from the craziness of Chaweng.

The only/main problem with this place is the beach it's located on. If you want a nice white sandy beach to walk out to, this is not it. The beach is very narrow, rocky and not good for swimming.

Also, bring mosquito repellent. The bathroom to my villa was outside, so I was eaten alive. Don't go outside without spraying yourself. I was itching for a week.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Andrew S
Le_Meridien_Koh_Samu, General Manager at Le Meridien Koh Samui Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Dear AndyCali,

We are delighted that you enjoyed a well rounded stay experience from the room to restaurants and fitness center while finding the peaceful location a positive attribute. We also appreciate that you noticed and liked the resorts design which is meant to give a sense of place rather than a standardized feel.

The outdoor space of the Pool Pavilion Villa does tend to lend itself to mother nature which hopefully also provided for some positive experiences as well whole using the pool or showering. We do apologize for the mosquitoes nonetheless and do try to set-up repellants and coils to assist. As for the beach, we also offer daily shuttle service to special optional nearby beaches called Coral Cove and Silver Beach, the latter of which is also in walking distance. Hopefully, you had a chance to explore those while here. The center of Lamai beach which we are located on is also beautiful and can be reached along the shoreline during low tide.

As you were happy with the resort otherwise, we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back and can perhaps propose even more comfortable options to suit your stay needs then!

Tina Liu

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
USA
Reviewed September 6, 2013

This is our 8th time in samui, this hotel is the most recommend one for me, the staff are helpful and friendly, they remember all the things you like even how you drink your coffe. We stayed in the pavilion pool Vila which have a private pool as well the pool in the hotel is amazing the dock with the pool where you can feed the fish or drink at the bar. The hotel offers free shuttles every evening all over the island (each day different place). This way you can enjoy the relaxing of the hotel and the island night life. The rooms are clean and welcoming.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank kate12340
Dear kate12340,

As an 8th time returning visitor of Samui island, we hope that your future reviews will be counting your return visits to Le Meridien in particularl!

Our resort location indeed offers a relaxing stay with convenient access to nearby nightlife whether it be in Lamai or Chaweng. Before heading out, drinks on the Ocean Pier as mentioned are highly recommended and a unique venue to experience. On your next visit, do try the Oceanfront Pool Villa and I'm sure you will be even more pleased.

We look foward to welcoming you back to your 9th trip to the island?

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed September 3, 2013

An impressive foyer and beautiful hotel. The main pool area was never crowded as there are numerous pools around the hotel.
Situated on the beach front, great food and service and everyone speaks english. Dinner or cocktails on the jetty under the stars is a great way to spend your evening or wander along the beach and explore other venues.
The food is excellent but hotel prices. Great Thai food can be had at local restaurants just walking distance. If you want romantic, peace and quiet then this is the place.
The hotel offers free excursions to some places of interests which I did not notice until I was checking out!

Room Tip: We stayed in an Ocean View room - amazing! You won't want to leave!
Dear simon_stanton,

We're glad that you enjoyed your stay at the resort and had a chance to explore locations along the beachfront. We do apologize however that you were not aware about the hotel shuttle services and have since relocated our activities sheet in room to a more prominent position.

The drink and dinner options on the Ocean Pier is certainly a must do and hopefully, you had a chance to enjoy the cool breeze under the stars while here.

As you had a relaxing stay while here, we hope you also felt at home and that we will have a chance to welcome you back!

Penang
Reviewed September 1, 2013

We stayed at Le Meridien Koh Samui in Aug'13 for 4 nights and I would like to summarize that we had a great time at the hotel thanks for the Tina and her staff.

In terms of location, Le Meridien Koh Samui is situated at Lamai Beach which is ~30 minuts drive away from Chaweng. This as more more quiet and secluded beachThere is a 24 hours family mart within 5 min walking distance. Central Lamai is ~ 5 minutes drives away and the grandfather /grandmother rock is within 15 min drive.

The Pool Plunge Room concept is unique. It is divided into 4 section, the patio, bed area,pool and toilet.Only the bed section is air conditioned. The other areas are open concept. At night there are mosquitoes the staff are very dilligent to put up mosquitoe coils.The bed is very soft and comfortable and they provided with a crib for our 10 months old infant that travelled with us. It is very thoughtful of them to provided some baby neccesities ( eg baby soap, tissues , etc ).

The buffet breakfast has quite a good spread. In our 4 days there, we did not feel bored. One thing I was hoping was fresh juices. Le Meridien partnered with Illy worldwide so they were serving freshly brewed Illy coffee every morning.

The beach around the hotel is clear but notice that there is a lot of seaweed. We did not go for a swim on the beach hence it did not really matter to us.

The one thing that left a deep impression to us the the wonderful hospiltality from the staff from the time we arrived until the day we left. Our room package comes with complementary pickup/dropoff at the at the airport. Upon arrival, "Ant" was waiting for us patiently at the pickup area. Although our flight was delayed and he has been waiting for > 40 min, we were greeted with a smile and it was very nice to provide us with 2 bottle of water. Throughout the stay, the staff at Latest Recipe greeted us every morning. We could also see Tina spending the mornings getting to know each of the guest personally at the breakfast area. I have pre informed them that part of the trip was to celebrate my wife birthday. They staff got together to sing a song and provided her a complementary cake which took her by suprise. When we went back to our room that night, the bed was nicely decorated with rose petal and a towel folder into an elephant which really makes it special.

To summarize, our purpose of the trip is a family getaway and we really feel welcome and had a great time over at Le Meridien Koh Samui.

Remarks : Tina, Ja, Lidear, Ant and the rest of the staff who I missed out your name, Thank you and I hope our path will cross again one of this day!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank poeyhee
Dear poeyhee,

Thank you for sharing your stay experience with family at the resort. It is so good to know that you enjoyed your 4 nights here and didn't get bored! What is most delightful for our team to learn is that you took several special service memories and postive impressions back.

It was a pelasure for all of us to meet your family and to be of service throughout your stay, particularly during mealtimes!

Please do return for a visit. We hope to have the opportunity to celebrate another special occasion together!

New Delhi, India
Reviewed August 30, 2013

So after sending a reconfirmation for our airport – hotel transfer just 72 hours prior to our arrival, we arrive in Koh Samui to find nobody waiting for us!! I already have a pit in my stomach, because this property had been recommended by me. Anyway we scramble into a van and drive towards the hotel. A short drive later our vehicle pulls up to the side of the road and we’re still trying to figure out why the driver has stopped when we realize we’ve already reached the hotel!!!!! The cars can’t drive in (!!) and the walk into the property is most unimaginative and unimpressive. It’s early in the morning so the hotel bears a somewhat dreary and deserted look and I’m beginning to wonder how much worse this can get…..
Immediately a friendly face approaches us and leads us to a comfortable seating arrangement. The welcome drinks arrive and I inquire about the missed transfer. She looks surprised and rushes to the front desk, the staff of whom seems to have overheard our exchange and spoken to their driver already. They are profusely apologetic, offer to upgrade all the three rooms we had booked and throw in a complimentary return hotel airport transfer as well. We have reached way before the conventional check in time, and the hotel is running to high occupancy .Instead of just asking us to wait politely, as would normally be the case with a lot of international hotels, they offer to send us to the restaurant for refreshments on the house. The attitude is warm, friendly and helpful, and everyone is starting to feel a little more settled.
The resort has only one restaurant, but it has a delightful ambience. It overlooks the pool and the beach, has seating arrangements at different levels with different views and the staff is absolutely incredible. More like great hosts, making us feel like ‘welcome guests’, rather than just ‘regular clients’. This level of service extended to all fronts - the reception, housekeeping, food and beverage, just everywhere, and I think the source can be zeroed down to their GM Tina who would be there at breakfast every morning, chatting to the guests, helping them get seated, even clearing the dishes off their tables to make them feel more comfortable. There was Diedre ( I hope I’ve got her name right)and KK, great members of the team who went out of their way to look after us, and I have to say this has to rate amongst our most hospitable stays worldwide.
In reference to the rooms, they take a little getting used to. The layout of the wash rooms is unusual, with the wc, the tub, and the shower in a straight-line facing the outdoors. You can actually hear the rustle of the leaves underneath you. This area can get a tad warm in the afternoons, but after a while with the air conditioner having run almost through the day, it settled down and I really started to enjoy the extra space and openness the layout offered. The beds are plumped up with lots of cushions and plenty of layers- and I heard mixed reports varying from ‘amazing sleep, very comfortable’ to the ‘I kept feeling like I was sliding off the bed because of its sloping sides’. The cupboards are small, with no shelves, and that was something of an inconvenience. The lighting is dim, which is actually very soothing and ideal for a resort, except they need to provide at least one bright light with a mirror to help us get ready in the evening. The attached terraces provide a great sit out option and the pool villas are beautiful. All in all by the time we left we were already looking at the possibility of rustling up a group of 4-6 couples to come back with.
Thank you to Tina and your wonderful team for a truly hospitable stay -

Room Tip: Would definitely recommend the pool access rooms.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank AnjaliKhosla
Le_Meridien_Koh_Samu, General Manager at Le Meridien Koh Samui Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Dear AnjaliKhosla,

After a bit of a bumpy start for which we apologise, it is good to know that the rest of trip ended with an enjoyable stay and that the team, particularly KK and Dear, took excellent care of you.

Sometimes it takes time to wind down in to relaxation mode at the start of a vacation and it sounds as if you were able to do that and feel at home. We are most delighted that upon leaving, you were already thinking about your next trip back! The Pool Access Suites would be a great idea as highlighted. We have 3 clusters of 6, 7 or 8 rooms surrounding a semi private pool so this would be ideal for friends or family traveling together. Furthermore, your suggestions have been noted and make-up mirrors for one, can readily be made available on request.

Just let us know when we can welcome you back and we will make sure you are delighted from the start.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed August 28, 2013

We booked Le Meridien Koh Samui for our honeymoon.
We booked a villa with a private pool ( room 2106 I'll try to post pictures later) The room itself is wonderful, with an outdoor living area, pool and shower. It also unfortunately has an outdoor toilet, making for some uncomfortable washroom breaks due to the Mosquitos. The area with the bed is nice, can be well air conditioned if you want and includes an in room safe.
The restaurant food is very good. It's expensive for Thailand, but that's expected at a hotel like this. I would say that it's moderately overpriced for the quality. However, the complimentary breakfast buffet is the best breakfast that we have had in Thailand ( after two weeks of traveling the mainland). Unfortunately, the restaurant service is poor. Our first night my wife ordered a cocktail with her meal and it arrived after we had finished eating, even though we followed up twice during the meal. We had to go chase down a waiter to at least get water with our meal. The second time we ate at the restaurant both of our cocktails came while we were finishing our meal. I guess we didn't learn the first time.
We booked a couple activities through the hotel. First was an island safari with Mr. Ung's which was ok but I'm surprised the hotel would support a tour that treats animals as poorly as this tour does (read more about Mr Ungs before booking. I wish I had). Second we booked a tour to Koh Tao to go snorkeling ( happening tomorrow so I can't comment yet). We also rented a car through the hotel which turned into a small disaster. We booked a Jeep for 1000baht for the day (I was excited to drive a jeep). We waited around for 45 minutes and when it arrived it was a small sedan and they charged me 1500 baht (that's an additional 50% for math fans). Since the jeeps were all taken this was the only option. I would have been fine with the car had they let us know before we waited around. I would have been fine if they gave it to us for 1000 baht since they are the ones that messed up. I also would have been fine if the people at the front desk did more than smile awkwardly when I asked if there was another company we could use. My lesson from this and my advice is to go find a car by yourself (there are plenty around, and you can see what you're getting) if your experience is anything like ours then the front desk will not help you resolve anything.
We had several other incidents like these however I think this post sums up the hotel, it beautiful and just the hotel would have a chance of being 5 star alone, however the poor service brings it down to a 3.5-4 star in my book.
A final side note to end on a good point it tha t the staff is friendly and all speak english fluently.

2 Thank Jeff L
Dear jeff L,

While it sounds like you enjoyed your room and various aspects of your stay, there were some incidents that left some negative impressions and for this we apologise.

In regards to the car delivery, I believe a price adjustment was ultimately made for you and we apologize for the misunderstanding that resulted in the wrong car being delivered. For Mr. Ungs Jungle Safari Tours, the tour company runs different programs of which one includes a trip to Namuang Safari Park which is not run by their company. The resort as well, assists to provide information to guests for the islands main tour operators and tourist sites and after your mention about your visit experience, we did give the safari park a call.

After having had a chance to meet you personally and to discuss some of the issues raised, I do hope you ultimately enjoyed the rest of your stay and that your confidence in our care was better restored by the time of your departure.

Chile
Reviewed August 20, 2013

We stayed 8 nights in a pool villa at Le Meridien in August and in general enjoyed our stay. But there were some issues that - in our opinion - need some attention.
Starting with the negatives:
- the hotel is in desperate need of renovation. Rooms and furniture are dated, bath and shower are molded, wooden elements are chipping, the towels at the pool are old, discoloured, stained and frayed.
- while room service does a good job at cleaning the rooms there some elements that were just so-so. For example the tiles at our private pool would really need some brushing and cleaning. I know the hotel is in the tropics, nevertheless it does not make a good impression to have lots of leaves and flowers lying on the floor. It would be quite cheap to hire somebody to sweep the floors of the property not only once a day
- room service in general (apart from cleaning) was a hit and miss. On some days we got a newspaper - on others not. on some days they replenished the milk in the fridge, on others not. On some days we got a refill on the bath amenities, on others not. On some days there was a turndwon service, on others not. On some days we got ice cubes, on others not.
- the resort has a beautiful set-up, but you feel quite enclosed. you do not really see the beach or the ocean, only once you are at the restaurant or the main pool
- there is no real beach you can enjoy. The hotel is situated at the northern tip of Lamai beach. The sea is very shallow, lots of algae, Therefore guests do not really use the beach that much. They have a pier, but even if you walk until the end of the pier and jump into the ocean you are just standing knee-high in water. Provided the tide is high....
- we had an open air bathroom and mosquitoes feasted on us. Even with everything the local supermarket could offer against mosquitoes (sprays, coils, gels,...) they stayed active and biting us. At day time, at the pool,we could see that not only us were being eaten up alive by those little monsters. Saying so, I did not see any fogging of the hotel to kill the mosquitoes as I have seen in any other property in the Tropics
- Food in the hotel is so-so and much too expensive for what they are offering. We ended up avoiding having lunch or dinner at the hotel at all, especially as we could just walk over to beach replubic and have great food and service for a lower price (breakfast was ok and included)
- As we were not eating at the hotel and obviously did not meet the revenue targets the hotel had set up for their guests we repeatedly were "pressed for revenue". It was not hard selling - but obvious enough to be annoying
The positives:
- Staff was very attentious and helpfull. Tina, the general manager, is always present and really cares for her customers
- I went to the Spa twice, great experience and worth the money
- the Gym is a bit small but very well equipped
- well, it is Thailand, and even if there were a couple of issues we did not enjoy, the overall experience was good.
But - would we come again? Probably not. There are many other hotels in Ko Samui that offer a better overall experience for the price.

1 Thank jacarepequeno
Le_Meridien_Koh_Samu, General Manager at Le Meridien Koh Samui Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Dear jacarepequeno,

While you mention that you enjoyed your overall stay and that the general experience was a good one, unfortunately there were some issues that need to be addressed and we thank you for your suggestions made.

The decor of the resort and facilties are meant to provide for a sense of place while natural materials and loose furniture is used as much as possible throughout for a residential feel. However, this certainly has nothing to do with proper manintenance and we are currently in process of re-painting the rooms and facilities together with a good spring clean in general. Please rest assured that regular pest control and landscaping are both carried out in cooperation with outsource professionals and our own team. Our manicured gardens are in fact quite well regarded on the island. However, being in a tropical environment with lots of outdoor space expecially withing the Pavilion Pool Villa, we are indeed at natures mercy and August in particular saw daily bouts of rain and wind during the month. We do apologize for the inconsistent service from the housekeepiong team and any inconvenience this caused as a result.

Your recognition of our teams attention and helpfulness is much appreciated and we hope that you will reconsider a return to our resort if back in the area on a future visit.

I would recommend our Ocean Front Pool Villa as an alternative to the Pavalion Pool Villa which you stayed in on this occasion. The 165sqm space with infinity pool directly overlooking the Gulf of Thailand is sure to not disappoint.

Best regards,
Amari Koh Samui
#9 of 104 in Chaweng
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,298 reviews
Renaissance Koh Samui Resort & Spa

Been to Le Meridien Koh Samui Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!