“Amazing esperience!”

Le Meridien Koh Samui Resort & Spa
Ranked #6 of 51 Hotels in Lamai Beach
Reviewed July 11, 2013

This resort made me feel soo relaxed, replenish of energy and all staff treat us in a really amazing way. The cerimony of the flying lantern make us feel sad cause every day there was bad weather....in our last day was promise from a F&B staff to release ony for us from the pier but lately they change mind.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank marcolegittimo
Le_Meridien_Koh_Samu, General Manager at Le Meridien Koh Samui Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 27, 2013

Dear marcolegittimo,

Nothing is more pleasing than to learn that a guest has left our resort completely relaxed and replenished with energy!

Unfortunately, our "Celebration Of The Day" ritual with the release of the Khom Loy lanterns did not take place during your stay as it is subject to very strict weather conditions which as you mentioned was bad during your visit and for this we apologise.

Should you feel you need another energy re-fuel, please come back to visit and hopefully, we can float any worries away with the release of a lantern on your next trip.

Tina Liu

Write a ReviewReviews (1,046)

Reviewed July 11, 2013

Stayed here last week for 5 nights in the Plunge Pool Room. Was a good start as we were picked up from the airport in a very comfortable car (complimentary). "Talent" (as their service officers are referred to) Fah, checked us and showed us the room. The jacuzzi jets weren't working in the plunge pool but we figured we could get it fixed the next day as it was almost midnight when we arrived.

The Great/Good:
- excellent breakfast spread
- complimentary airport transfers
- free and fast Wifi access throughout the resort
- great comfortable clean rooms
- excellent service staff, and the GM Tina is seen mingling and chatting with guests almost every morning at the breakfast area
- great and fast room service ( they allowed us to order an item which supposedly wasn't available after 11am)
- convenient location, while not in the main Lamai town area, it's just by the main road where it's easy to get a cab.
- room layout is wonderful and functional.

What could be improved:
- the jacuzzi jets, although they got it to work, one wasn't really very strong.
- bed and pillows are a tad soft for my liking, though others would love the ultra soft feeling. If a selection of pillows could be made available, would be good.
- although not the resort's fault, the pool/bath area is open and there are lots of mozzies, the mosquito coils and aromatherapy burner couldn't really keep them away.
- the beach is quite dismal, though I didn't really bother to go there. There are far better beaches around the island

My stay didn't end on the high note it started on as my expectations may have been raised due to the excellent service during my stay. I checked out at noon on the day of my departure (no extension could be given as they were running full), but had to wait till 2:30 for the airport transfer. The moment I completed the checkout, I lost wifi access. What would have been nice was if Talent Eye who did my check out, could have told me and offered me a temp id immediately. Instead, I had to find out the hard way, then walk back to the front desk to request for a couple more complimentary IDs to use till we left. It would have been a nice gesture, but instead, it left me wondering if all the good service I received during the stay, also got automatically revoked when I checked out. A minor point but something for Te resort to consider so that the guests don't feel 'abandoned' the moment they check out.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends

Dear MaxineSG,

We're glad to learn that you enjoyed your stay and that the team took good care of you, particularly Fah whom you highlighted. Your suggestions for improvement areas are well noted. As for bed and pillow preferences, we can always adjust and accommodate as needed. The mattress actually has a goose down pillow top which can be removed for a firmer top.

Your comments about the wifi access after checking out of room is very valid. As you know, wifi is complimentary throughout the resort so it is not a matter of cost but of recognising that extra courtesy that would be meaningful. Thank you for highlighting this and you can rest assured, we have already put your suggestion to practice when possible!

That said, it is nice to know that you summarised your stay to a great resort with great rooms.

We hope you will return to Samui and to Le Meridien again soon!

Reviewed July 11, 2013 via mobile

Le Meridien was simply gorgeous. From the lobby to the rooms, the attention to detail and style is unmatched by anywhere I've stayed. The pool area is calm and relaxing, with access to a decent beach and dock area for great views of the shore and surrounding areas. Service is attentive and polite, with cold towels and beverages on arrival, two complimentary espresso beverages, and luggage delivered to your room. We ate in both restaurants, and both were delicious and reasonably priced (for such a nice hotel). I recommend the tuna Niçoise salad and the cheesecake! Great happy hour (buy one, get one free) while lounging by the pool. The spa is expensive for Thai standards, but comparable to US prices. The beds are exquisite. Overall the nicest hotel I have ever stayed in, thanks to Starwood points from my husband, and feel lucky to have spent an evening here.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank TravelJTM

Dear TravelJTM,

Starwood Preferred Guest is indeed a rewarding guest loyalty program and we are delighted that you were able to spend your holidays with us using some of the earned points!

It is good to know that you enjoyed your stay and our food and beverage services in particular. Your recommendation of our signature cheesecake is my personal guilty pleasure so glad that you had a chance to try some too!

Your loyalty and patronage of Starwood Hotels and Resorts is much appreciated and we look forward to your husband collecting more points, hopefully to return to our resort again soon!

Reviewed July 10, 2013

As a SPG Gold member, I've stayed at many Starwood properties. While I agree that the Le Meridien is a beautiful resort, there are many things that were lacking, and I would NOT stay here again. Unfortunately, we stayed here for 4 nights/5 days. First, the hotel is located on a non-swimming beach, meaning very shallow water with lots of rocks and algae. Which is why the "beach" or narrow strip of rocky sand had cheap plastic chairs with a flimsy plastic overhang - no one spends any time on the actual "beachfront". The pool area is beautiful with comfy sunbed loungers, but I didn't fly 20 hours to sit at a pool. Second, their location in Lamai is isolated - there's not much around. It's difficult to walk on the road as Samui is not pedestrian friendly, so you have to either cab it or flag a songtaew (local public transport) for everything and try not to get ripped off. The hotel does have a shuttle, but it's usually just one drop off at 7:45 pm to a different location depending on the day. It would have been more convenient if they could provide a regular shuttle to the other main beaches earlier in the day with a pick up. Third, more was expected of the service. Even though we arrived after 3 pm, our room was not ready and was asked to wait another 45 minutes. When we called the front desk, they hung up on us three consecutive times - on the fourth time, we had to sternly tell them not to hang up. It took more than 30 minutes to get some ice in our room. And most disgusting, the room had stained towels and sheets - looked like smeared red lipstick on the "clean" bath towel and the bed sheet. And while the outdoor bathroom/rain shower was very cool and beautiful, going in and out to use the bathroom allowed mosquitoes into the room, and I got at least five bites in one night, despite killing two mosquitoes. Overall, the resort and rooms were very beautiful, but that was not enough to compensate for the poor location and service. By the way, the sleek stone floors were gorgeous but is also a huge slip and fall hazard, especially the steep stairways - my mother would never have made it around here. Unless you want to just hole up at the pool, I suggest staying somewhere else for the money.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank madison998877

Dear madison998877,

We regret that you did not enjoy the location of our resort and more importantly we apologize for the shortfalls in service experienced during your stay which is certainly unacceptable. As for the guest call service described, I would be very surprised if this was done with intention and hope that you will give us the benefit of doubt that there was some sort of technical difficulty or other reason rather than our associates merely hanging up repeatedly on your call. Your comments in general are taken seriously and have been communicated to the team for improvement.

In regards to the beach set-up, we are pleased to share that new lounge chairs have since been placed in response to feedback from guests to have them there. The set-up you saw during your stay was very temporary to cope with demand rather than not having any at all. Until very recently, we actually never had beach chairs mainly because the pool deck is right on top. Moreover, guests can also lie on the 224M Ocean Pier as well.

Regarding the resort location which I also discussed in a review by "lalapine" right before yours, we are neither situated in a remote location like many nor are we in the hustle and bustle of town but rather in between and with good transportation access.

I apologize in advance for repeating our response on shuttle service but would like to address your feedback individually as well. Our complimentary shuttle currently runs daily to/from 2 unique and nearby beaches during the day which most would not discover otherwise. In the evening, it introduces guests to various parts of the island depending on the day of week and happenings. Unfortunately, we are not able to satisfy more trips at this time but appreciate your feedback and will certainly review for future. Paid car service is however, always available as needed and our resort once again allows easy access to public transportation or hopping out on your own rented cars or scooters.

While I wouldn't be able to change any issues with location, I do believe that we can turn around the disappointing service factor and as a loyal Starwood Preferred Gold member, I do hope that you will consider returning and reaching out to me directly.

Reviewed July 7, 2013

This is a beautiful resort on Lamai Beach. The bottom line (up-front) is: if we return to Samui, we would probably try to stay right on Chaweng Beach, but if you're not going to stay right there, I would say this is an excellent choice compared to other resorts (see below for more details). If they provided a shuttle to Chaweng, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

The whole resort is really beautiful, from the open-air lobby and bar to the rooms and the pool. We booked airport transfers through the hotel and were greeted by a friendly driver in a private car. Upon arrival, we were greeted with cold towels and a fresh drink while we waited to check-in. We booked a standard room, which was really lovely. It had an outdoor shower, where the giant tub and toilet also are. We also had a private veranda, which is nice for relaxing. The decor is very much an antique wood style, so if this is not your cup of tea, you might not like it. The infinity pool is really nice and overlooks the Lamai Beach, which is lovely. However the sand is a bit gravelly and the water is too shallow and there's too much algae and coral to swim at this beach. The view and having a private beach at your fingertips is nice though. The food is fine though nothing special. We took advantage of the happy hour specials at the bar, which were pretty good. Service was excellent as all the staff were friendly and helpful. We booked a car through the hotel one day and they arranged to have it delivered and pick up exactly when we wanted.

My only complaint is the hotel's shuttle service. They run a daily free shuttle to the Silver Beach or Coral Cove Beach rather than Chaweng Beach. Silver Beach is small, gravelly, with only a few shaded areas to relax and the water is not as clear for swimming. Maybe a shuttle to Chaweng would be overrun, but it is clearly the best beach for hanging out, so it seems like a huge missed opportunity for the hotel to build in a real convenience for guests. Taxis to/from Chaweng are about 400baht each way or you can catch the red truck/bus songthrew for 50-60baht per person each way. They run on a loop around the island every 15-20 minutes or so, so you just catch one going the direction you want (make sure to negotiate the price first - they always try to charge tourists double). The hotel also runs a shuttle at night to the Chaweng Walking Street or Lamai Walking Street, but not a return shuttle, which again would be a nice option to have.

Other random tips: there's a FamilyMart convenience store just five minutes down the street from the hotel (turn right on the main street) where we picked up snacks and drinks. Right outside the main entryway is a little shop that does laundry for 40baht/kilo.

Another random note: we took one day to drive around the island and we stopped at many of the resorts, including the W, Intercontinental, Imperial Boat House and several others, to have a drink at their bars and enjoy their views. While I was initially put off by Le Meridien's distance to Chaweng, I realized that it's actually quite convenient to Chaweng. Many of the resorts on other parts of the island are extremely secluded, as in you have to drive up a narrow, windy road for 15 minutes to actually reach the resort, so you can't conveniently get a songthrew and I can't imagine how much cabs would be. And they're often huge and built into a mountain, so you have to call for a golf cart to get from your room to the bar or lobby and such, which we felt would be a big inconvenience. Some are on beaches or have private beaches, but with the exception of resorts on Choeng Mon Beach, none of the beaches are as good as Chaweng.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank lalapine

Dear lalapine,

We're glad you generally enjoyed your stay at the resort. The design does offer something very different and intends to give a sense of place.

Location can indeed be key to the decision in choosing accommodations. Whether the Le Meridien has a good location or not depends on what a guest is looking for. As you mentioned, we are not in the midst of the hustle and bustle of Chaweng but not far from it either, with easy access to the main ring road while offering a relaxing and calm environment on the resort grounds. Moreover, we are situated in between Chaweng and Lamai town, another popular beach location. Having explored the island, you had come to discover yourself that there even more secluded locations without the convenient access that we have. Obviously for those who don't want to leave the resort, this won't be very important either way but Samui island is small and charming enough to get acquainted with very easily and I would certainly recommend having a look around the different coasts and sites as you had done.

If you do return to the island in the future and change your mind about being in the the midst of Chaweng, we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to Le Meridien!

Reviewed July 7, 2013

From the initial greeting to the final goodbye, Le Meridien in Koh Samui exudes style, class, sophistication and elegance throughout your stay, combined with warmth and extreme professionalism from the whole team.

We had 7 nights at this resort which started with an arranged pick up from the airport where we were met by a uniformed driver who ushered us efficiently to our air conditioned 'Le Meriden' 4x4, this took any stress out of arranging our own transport and meant we didn't need to start bartering with taxi drivers before we'd even set foot in our resort. It was a 30 minute transfer and we were dropped at the inner entrance of the hotel, rested and refreshed.

The approach up to the reception area transports you into another world straight away, via a waterfall walk way, across the open air pavilion and past the beautiful square interior pond. The whole experience is tranquil, calm and effortlessly stylish in a 'traditional meets contemporary' fashion. The check in process was quick and efficient and then we were shown to our room which was a Plunge Pool Suite. Wow!!!!! The room is divided into 3 sections, a front chill out area with sofa and ceiling fan, etc, then the air conditioned bedroom with the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in, and then the plunge pool itself with open air bathroom at the back. It was extremely private, very fabulous and very luxurious whilst maintaining the air and style of the resort. We loved the little touches such as the 'Do Not Disturb coconut Macaque monkey', the super soft bed linen, the sumptuous pillows and well stocked mini bar. There was also plenty of hot water, plenty of towels and a well stocked mini bar. We couldn't fault the room, however, we were later upgraded to a Pool Access suite for the last 5 days of our stay. This room had even more of a wow factor as it had direct access to a shared pool from the outdoor terrace, and this was a real luxury and was wonderful to look at and breath in the whole scene. I would point out that this room is not as private as the Plunge Pool Suite as there are another 6 rooms all dotted around the shared pool so you do tend to see other people from your terrace if they are in the pool or on their terrace, but the whole scene is amazing, well landscaped and was a real out of this world experience. Also the bathroom is larger in the Pool Access Suite and has twin sinks and a sunken bath as well as larger semi outdoor shower. On a personal note I would say that the outdoor bathroom experience is not really for me, although I can completely see why the resort is designed that way. It is wonderful to enjoy the warm climate whenever you can and to not always shut yourself away in an air conditioned environment all the time, but you can sometimes feel a bit too close to the elements at the same time. Anyway, its just a personal preference and my partner absolutely loved it and didn't have any problem whatsoever. Again there was plenty of hot water, lots of soft towels, the amazingly comfortable bed, the perfect styling throughout the resort, etc. We couldn't fault the room. Unfortunately during our stay I discovered that I am very attractive to Mosquitos and was bitten frequently, however, the housekeeping team helped as much as they could by spraying our room everyday, placing mosquito repellant coils and candles around the bedroom and bathroom and terrace for us ever day. In fact, nothing was ever too much trouble and everyone goes out of their way to accommodate and help with all requests.

The pool and restaurant area is very impressive in its look and feel and has fabulous views out past the palm trees into the bay, the pool is well laid out with plenty of sunbeds and towels, and is serviced by a friendly professional team.

The restaurant is very ambient, very beautifully designed and well laid out. We ate here on 2 separate nights during our stay and found the Thai food to be amongst the best we ate in Samui (see my separate review for 'Latest Recipe'). This venue is also where the amazing breakfast is served every day. What an incredible choice of foods, from the European continental selection, to the American waffles and pastries, to Asian influenced choices, plus everything imagineable in between. There is a chef available to cook your eggs each morning right in front of you and to serve them just how you like them. What a wonderful personal touch. The coffee is good (which is important for me), the setting is perfect and the food and beverage selection was spot on for us. I wish I could serve breakfast like that at home!

I could talk about our experiences at this boutique resort for hours, but in summary I would say that this place is a 'must see' venue. It is very beautiful (by day and night) and is perfectly manicured throughout, the service is impeccable and everything they do is aimed at the guest experience. We particularly loved the Celebration of the Day ceremony which was performed every evening. Very enchanting and very special. We also loved the Spa, in fact I must mention how special this Spa area is. We booked a twin Spa treatment so that we were both pampered in the same room and the same time. This was truly amazing and I would recommend everything about it. It was the best massage I have ever had in my life and was a 2.5 hour special treatment designed around my requirements. Absolutely wonderful! The Spa itself is underneath the reception area and you approach it through double doors, down some grand stairs and round beautifully lit passageways and even past the underground version of the waterfall walls from the reception approach. It is very special, very relaxing and well worth the experience. I would thoroughly recommend booking in advance. I can't imagine anywhere else in Samui being any better than this.

Special thanks to Luke the Restaurant & Event Manager for his friendly chatter and recommendations during our stay, also to Bennie, Fah, Eye and M on reception, Kitty, Tuk Tuk in the restaurant, but not excluding all of the service team who helped in making our stay so memorable. Sa Wa Dee to all! Finally thanks to Tina for your excellent restaurant recommendations, your friendly conversation and for providing such a well managed and wonderful resort. We didn't want to leave, but we have taken away some memories which will stay with us for a very long time, and we hope to return some day to relive it all over again.

If it was possible to give 11/10 in a review then I wouldn't hesitate as this is one of the best places I've ever been to in my life. To anyone wondering about where to stay in Samui without being in the middle of the craziness of Chaweng or Lamai central, but still having easy access to both, then do not hesitate in booking your holiday at this resort. You won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: Plunge Pool suites are more private. Pool Access suites are less private but offer direct access to...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MattBBirmingham
Le_Meridien_Koh_Samu, General Manager at Le Meridien Koh Samui Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 19, 2013

Dear MattBBirmingham,

Wow! How does one respond to such a great review or shall I say short story! Thank you so much for sharing such a detailed piece of your experience at our resort.

We're glad you had the chance to take advantage of our facilities including 2 room types as well, enjoying both for its unique features! The boutique feel of the resort can indeed transpire a very calm and relaxing feel so it is good to know that the resort design and events like our special Celebration of the Day ritual added to the enchantment as you described.

We appreciate your kind recognition of so many of our associates who I know were all happy to be of service and to chat with you daily. It was also a pleasure to personally meet such lovely guests myself, clearly the best part of my job each day!

We all hope that you will return to visit us again. Until then, Sawasdee Ka from all of us here at Le Meridien Koh Samui!

Reviewed July 4, 2013

And yes, the caps was deliberate. After a wonderful experience with the Le Meridien in Bangkok, we booked plunge pool room for a week here...and so glad we did. We LOVED the private pool - a cool whirlpool spa tub, completely private and all yours for the duration. We would get up in the morning, jump in the pool for a while, then shower, dress and head over for the breakfast by the main pool. It was not as extensive as the one in Bangkok but offered a good selection. Note that the buffet is open air and flies were a challenge. I would keep a napkin over my food to protect it if I was not eating. Then back to our plunge pool to cool off again. Then on to activities, such as hang by the pool, go to the local beach, go into town for some shopping, get a massage... Then back in the plunge pool before heading to dinner. We definitely took great advantage of that pool!

The location is very convenient, though the island is small enough that most locations are convenient. We found that we could spend the week without a car, except one day where we rented from a local place across the street from the hotel so we could see the other side of the island.

We plan to head back sometime in the next year or so and would definitely go back. Highly recommend it!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Sarah P,

It sounds as though you really enjoyed and took advantage of the Plunge Pool in room which is great as that is what it is there for! On your next visit, you might even want to try our Pool Access Suite which has direct access in to a semi-shared pool directly from the deck of your room. Then you can dip or swim throughout the day to cool off as mentioned. However, for privacy, the Plunge Pool is a better bet.

We're glad you found the location convenient. Getting out on to the main ring road for either walks or catching taxi's or tuk tuks is indeed easy. However, renting a car as mentioned is a good idea for fully exploring the island for at least a day as you had done.

Thank for your staying with our sister property in Bangkok and with us here in Samui. On behalf of both Le Meridien's, we certainly hope to welcome you back!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lamai Beach
Amari Koh Samui
Amari Koh Samui
#12 of 103 in Chaweng
Pavilion Samui Villas & Resort

Been to Le Meridien Koh Samui Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!