“Le Meridien Koh Samui”

Ranked #7 of 50 Hotels in Lamai Beach
Houston, Texas
“Le Meridien Koh Samui”
Reviewed July 8, 2012

Overall a nice stay. We had some of the nicest and most courteous staff of any Starwood property we have ever visited. There are really only 7 rooms on the property that are worth staying at. The Ocean View Suites are fabulous. When we first arrived, we were in one of the plunge pool rooms. It sounded nice and looked nice from the pictures, but really offered nothing that we wanted to enjoy about staying on a beautiful island - no sun deck, all shaded, little privacy. We inquired about upgrading the room and fortunately the resort was able to accommodate upgrading us to one of their 7 ocean view rooms with private pool for a reasonable fee per day. These rooms are worth every bit of the cost! The lantern shows every night were spectacular. If you are a Platinum guest like we are, they take very good care of you and provide a free drink every night at happy hour, as well as free breakfast.
We also recommend contacting the hotel prior to arrival and arranging transportation from the airport. It's a nice experience with cold water and cold face towels in a nice vehicle versus a standard taxi. Taxi is ok too, but there was not much difference in the cost to use the hotel limo and enjoy a much nicer ride.

Room Tip: Try to upgrade to an ocean view suite. There are only 7 of them but in our opinion, they are the on...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jeremy K
Le_Meridien_Koh_Samu, General Manager at Le Meridien Koh Samui Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 21, 2012
Dear Jeremy K,

As a valued Starwood Platinum Guest, we are delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay and most importantly, found the staff to be the nicest and most courteous staff of any Starwood property you have ever visited.

Our 6 room types all offer different features to satisfy guest needs and we are glad that you found the Oceanfront Pool Villa to be the most suitable for your stay. These villas are amongst the best on the island but unfortunately for the associates, once guests get in to one, we hardly see them for remainder of stay.

Your insights about the local taxi's are spot on. Local taxi prices here not metered so hotel prices are extremely competitive. Often times, we actually match the local taxi prices but with better vehicles and service.

It seems as though your rating of our location might have affected your overall rating of stay with 3-stars despite a positive review but if you return and get to know the island better, I am very confident that you will appreciate the proximity to local hotspots with the privacy and calm of a luxury resort.

Therefore, we hope to welcome you back soon and will do our best to make your stays even more enjoyable from the start!

Tina Liu

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed July 8, 2012

I was very nervous about this place before we got here as some of the reviews were pretty negative complaining about the beach and other aspects. I must say that after only 1 night here I am sold on this place and could not imagine taking a star away. once we arrived we were immediately greeted by the hotel staff and taken to a lounge seat in the lobby where they checked us in. At some properties you feel like a number at checkin but Le Meridien makes you feel special. The property is very chic and there are only 78 rooms which makes it a very warm feeling and quaint. It is not overcrowded with tourists and coming from Bangkok and Chang Mai we finally feel like we are at a resort.

Upon arrival we laid out for a bit but the rain came down pretty hard around 4 pm so we chilled in the beautiful restaurant and had some green tea. When we went back to our room we found a puddle in the bathroom from flooding. We called the front and within 3 minutes the engineer and cleaning service was here to help us. They moved us next door and in this room there was a leak so because of all this hassle we got upgraded to a pool access suite. I probably shouldn't of said the leaks in the room but things happen and they were not rude or disrespectful about it. They were overly attentive to this. All they wanted to do was make our stay feel unique and give us an extraordinary experience.

Make sure to eat dinner here as it feels good to get away from the Thai food that we are pretty sick of I had a burger and my wife had prawns. We met an employee who recommended we go to Nikki Beach for Sunday brunch and hang out and this is highly recommended. Only 950 baht ($32) for all you can eat buffet with over 50 items from 11 am - 4 pm. I think we went up 5 times between those 5 hours and you get sunbed.

All in all I wouldn't hesitate about booking this place again as the staff and location are top notch. Iknow some people would have taken stars away based on our experience but things happen and the way they handled it made all the difference. I will recommend you to all my friends who visit Samui.

Special shout out to Luke for the recommendations at lunch.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Austin C
Dear Austin C,

As a manager in the hospitality industry, there can be no better title than the one you have awarded Le Meridien Koh Samui in your review of our resort. It only encourages our people to take customer service to another level and we will certianly do our best to deliver.

While I regret that you experienced some leaks opon arrival and apologize for the inconveniences caused by this, we appreciate your understanding and are glad to hear that our associates assisted to make the recovery seamless and sincere.

We are also glad that you will recommend the resort to all your friends and hope that you too will personally return to stay with us as well.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 7, 2012

I've been to Samui a few times before, each time staying in different locations, and was actually reluctant to visit the island again as I always felt it be "touristy", with even top hotels leaning more towards package holiday makers. In a way, I have found the Le Meridien to stand out by being more consistent to what international travelers may expect from a top tier chain hotel.

Arrival:
The hotel airport transfer is quick and efficient (20 mins) and relatively good value for money, even though local taxis will probably cost a fraction. Once you get to the hotel, you are more or less dropped at the roadside outside the hotel grounds and have to walk down the entry path to reception (about 200 meters), which at first looks more like a service path. Not a very good first impression. But once you get the Lobby, you are greeted by a water feature which "transports" you into the inner sanctuary of the hotel. Greeting is friendly, but the absence of any form of door staffing makes you feel lost at first as the reception desk is a bit hidden away. Check in is efficient. You will find yourself in your room or villa within 10 minutes.

Hotel Grounds:
Small-ish resort with an open plan restaurant in a kind of colonial style with the pool and the ocean in front and a beautiful palm tree lined garden behind it that is lined by the main hotel buildings containing the Verandah rooms I believe. Beyond this central area, the Villas spread out through some winding paths framed by well placed greenery and trees. It is not a jungle, but rather very stylish minimals, still giving it a lot of tropical flair. The hotel has a beach, but it is hardly worth mentioning as not being very appealing. Hotel life is around the pool. The hotel is in immaculate condition.

Style:
I'd call it tropical retro colonial with a hint of boutique minimalism

Rooms:
I stayed at a Pavillion Pool Villa. Those villas are about a pleasant 3 minute walk from the restaurant and central garden in the second row away from the beach. You enter a private courtyard through your own gates. The central feature is an approx 3 by 3m plunge pool which has the bedroom villa at one end, the outside bathroom and shower at the opposite (incl. al fresco heavy stone bath tub) and a roofed outside chill out / sofa area as well as your own private sun lounger. The Villa I stayed in was extremely private and the courtyard cannot be looked into from the outside. The bedroom is functional with all modern conveniences and a small work area. Wifi available with decent strength and speed. Rooms also feature iPod dock for the stereo. The bed was very comfortable, although slightly too soft for my liking.

Restaurant:
The hotel has only one restaurant (plus a small-ish pool bar that offers some snacks during the day). There is a main floor at Pool level and and upstairs that is quieter and has better views. There is a number of tables between the restaurant and the pool which are set slightly lower and surrounded by water. Very nice to chill. The food is of very high quality and everything was cooked to very high standards and full of authentic flavours. Dishes on offer are a cross of Asian, Mediterranean and International which gives you plenty of choice for whatever mood you are in. Prices are reasonable for this kind of hotel in this region. My favourite dish: Black sticky rice with Mango. Delicious!

Service:
Appropriate, but not "wow". Not sure if this is intended as part of their design approach or just due to tuned down service in the off season. You got what you wanted and got it done efficiently, but no extra mile. Service in the restaurant was extremely variable. One evening when they were more busy, service was efficient, anticipating the guests needs: cocktails, starters, main course, drinks came at the right timing and the right speed to make it a nice relaxed evening. Water and wine were refilled and staff was knowledgeable of the menu. The other evening there were only two tables taken, different staff, and quite honestly it would not have surprised me if the starter came for desert and the wine in a beer glass. Plates were only cleared when the next dish arrived and the menu sat on my table until mid main main course. Felt like I was in the middle of a failing staff training session.

The Good:
Food, Style, Atmosphere, Private Villas

The Bad:
Beach, Service

Overall Impression:
The hotel make me like Samui again. Beautiful grounds and very versatile place that can be what you want it to be: couples retreat for a special occasion, family holiday, weekend getaway or even business stop over. I have no reservations to recommend to friends

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank epicentre
Dear epicentre,

Thank you for your thorough and fair review as experienced during your recent visit.

We are glad to learn that after several visits to Samui already and a reluctance to return, Le Meridien has helped to restore your confidence in the destination. We hope that other travelers will agree with your overall impression that the hotel is indeed a versatile place that can be what they want it to be. The team here are all here to assist with that as well.

Samui is a very intimate island, easy to get around and to me, charming. The more you get to know it as you have, the less touristy it can certainly become after finding the right places to visit and feel comfortable in. Our location in Lamai does offer that with proximity to popular spots while private enough to feel at home. It is good to know that the hotel setting and layout did not make you feel like another tourist in its boutique environment.

If you do return, our aim would be to truly secure your loyalty in both our resort and the destination and we will certainly look in to areas of improvement as highlighted. As a Samui regular, please do not hesitate to contact me directly for any tips in getting to know the island even better.

Istanbul
Reviewed July 5, 2012

The hotel is nice especially at night, the lantern show at night is amazing .. But room are nice a bit of a mosquito problem, although they offer every possible anti mosquito candles and stuff. The pool is very nice but the sea is impossible to swim, you have to walk about 10-15 min to be able to have a nice sand and sea, so don't be fooled to the pic on the website

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank MDIstanbul
, General Manager at Le Meridien Koh Samui Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 6, 2012
Dear MDIstanbul,

We are glad to learn that you enjoyed your stay in general and appreciate you taking the time to review our hotel. Personally, I agree that our resort is even more spectacular at night as all the warmth really reveals itself at night with the night lights. The celebration of the day ritual with the Kom Loy lanterns as mentioned is typically the highlight each evening at 19:19.

As for the photography of our hotel on the websites, we are currently working to improve this and will hopefully have better photos shortly.

australia
Reviewed July 1, 2012

We stayed for 12 nights in a Terrace Room and while we enjoyed our time at Le Meridien, I wouldnt return. All the staff were lovely...Endekk in particular greeted us every morning at breakfast and ensured that each day began in a relaxed and enjoyable way. Breakfast selection was below average, however I requested and recieved a mango each day which was appreciated. Rooms were ok, nothing special and for the price we paid, I expected more. Mosquitoes were a problem as the toilet and showers were outside, and although mosquito coils were provided, we both suffered for it. The pool area, although not huge, was quite nice, but again, nothing special. There is no "happy hour" at the pool as we have previously enjoyed at other 5 star hotels in Thailand and this was another letdown, given that the food and drink prices at the hotel are quite exhorbitant. I guess the biggest letdown for me though, was the beach, which is unswimmable. Its very shallow and filled with rocks and coral. Lastly, the location is a huge problem, and I would not even contemplate staying here if you aren't prepared to hire a vehicle. When we return to Koh Samui, we will stay at Chewang Beach which is lovely.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear moffatanne,

Thank you for choosing Le Meridien for your lengthy stay on the island.

Although you mentioned preferring the Chaweng area over Lamai, it is good to know that you enjoyed your stay while here and that Endek in particular, assisted to make each day even more relaxing. Most internationally branded resorts are situated in various parts of the island and do require transportation getting around, particularly to Chaweng but there is only 1 main road at 51km going full circle so getting from 1 end to the other is only about 30-40 minutes at its lengthiest. Le Meridien is about 10 minutes from Southern Chaweng and less than 5-minutes from Lamai town. However, if wanting to avoid transporation all together, than Chaweng does have the most popular options on foot.

For breakfast, the team tried to accommodate your needs as mentioned but if you felt there were other items missing and can provide further insight to how we can improve it further, please do contact me directly as we would love to learn more. The hotel has a happy hour from 6-8pm at Latitude 9 where most guests gather each evening to experience our Celebration of the Day ritual. It is correct that we currently do not have a happy hour at the pool but can perhaps re-visit this.

We appreciate your feedback which only helps us to improve and we also thank you for making Le Meridien your home for nearly 2-weeks while here. Perhaps you will reconsider staying with us again next time and if there is anything I can do to personally assist, please let me know.

Seattle,
Reviewed June 25, 2012

Le Meridien is a nice resort, like many places in Thailand tucked between/behind businesses and buildings that are a far cry from the quality of the hotel itself. If memory serves, there was a monkey trick show right across from the hotel at the time I stayed there.

The staff is extremely service oriented, the pool is beautiful as are the swim-up pools that accompany some rooms, and the breakfast buffet is generous and delicious.

I wouldn't stay here again though - the location is less than ideal, the beach is basically unswimmable - it's very shallow for a long way out, filled with rocks and coral. There is no usable beach with walking distance anywhere (don't let the photos fool you).

The room I stayed in was small and had practically no storage for clothing. If you're staying there for any length of time you'll basically have to live out of your suitcase. The bathroom in the room I stayed in (which was on the 2nd floor) was narrow and outside - people can't see you (if you close the blinds) but it was a little weird/uncomfortable knowing that any noise you make in the bathroom can be heard by anyone walking underneath, and of course, no A/C out there. I also saw a cockroach scurrying around one night which didn't instill confidence in the cleanliness overall.

Lastly, in the time I was there I found it almost impossible to actually find my room. The place is like a tropical maze, and even the staff carry paper maps at time to help find their way.

Were I to return to Koh Samui, I'd stay on Chaweng beach instead which is much nicer.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jack F
Dear Jack F,

Thank you for sharing your stay expereince at our resort. While it is good to know that the service, pools and breakfast are highlights, you would still prefer to stay in the Chaweng area.

While we do offer shuttle service to Chaweng and other parts of Samui island as well, ultimately it is up to the traveller to decide what they want to be closest to. Lamai where we are situated, is on the south eastern coast of the island, away from the hustle and bustle of Chaweng but certainly close enough for those who want to visit- 10-minutes by car to the sourthern parts. Lamai town is also one of the more popular night spots and often frequented by locals and local expats- less than 5 minutes away. The island itself has one main loop for transportation and is only 51km long.

At Le Meridien, our Verandah Suites start at 45sqm and the Terrace Suites onward are 50 sqm while the Pavilion Pool and Ocean Front Pool Villas are 105sqm and 165sqm respectively. Depending on room type, some parts of the bathroom are indeed integrated with the outdoors and we apologize if this made you feel uncomfortable; moreover that you had a difficult time finding your way around the resort. We will certainly look in to how we can improve the signage or information to guests. Please rest assured that a regular schedule for pest control is also conducted throughout the resort and again, we apologize for any discomfort caused.

If you try Chaweng and perhaps decide that you like it here better with all the other positives mentioned, please do contact me directly for assistance so we can be sure that your expectations are fully met on the return visit!

Singapore, null, Singapore
Reviewed June 18, 2012

Hi Tina,

We (Singapore couple with two boys) met in December when you first joined. You were very friendly then and it is amazing how you respond to each review. No other GM that I have met has done that.

As you may remember, we enjoyed our stay and I may add that all the reviews are accurate.

Now that it has been proven that you and your team are too good for the property, it is time your management invest in an artificial beach (e.g Hard Rock in Bali, Vegas, Singapore) on the hotel's appalling beach (definitely the worst beach of over 100 beach hotels around the world that we have stayed at).

Good luck with that mission.

All the best and I know good people will always get promoted quickly to better properties, so by the time the beach is ready, you might not be there. Let's hope your replacement can keep up the good work.

Frank Yong

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank FrankinSingapore
Dear FrankinSingapore or Frank,

Thank you for continuing to follow reviews of our hotel after having visited in December and for your kind recognition of our team. In light of this and as you mention having enjoyed your stay with family, we do hope you will be returning to visit us again soon! Your suggestions about enhancing the beach are duly noted. If and when you do return, chances are very good that I will be here to personally greet you!

We now offer daily drinks and/or dinner on our floating Ocean Pier which offers a new and unique perspective of Lamai Beach combined with the starry skies (or even better- a full moon). You are sure to enjoy this experience!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lamai Beach
#2 of 187 in Bophut
Centara Grand Beach Resort Samui
Renaissance Koh Samui Resort & Spa
SALA Samui Choengmon Beach Resort

Been to Le Meridien Koh Samui Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!