“Definiently a place for relaxation”

Le Meridien Koh Samui Resort & Spa
Ranked #6 of 51 Hotels in Lamai Beach
Reviewed November 19, 2011

The Resort is very quiet and relaxing. The Staff were well practiced in Customer Service and Management are open and accepting of your comments of the Resort. The dining area is located with a very scenic view and the room layout in the pool villa's was very appealing. Food and drinks are quite expensive and we did not enjoy the 2 dinners we had. The grounds were stunning and expremely well maintained.I enjoyed the Spa Treatments we received but they are quite expensive to other resorts we have stayed.The library gives you a good choice of reading material. The nightly latern lighting is a very moving which I found quiet emotional.

Room Tip: Not suitable for people who are unable to handle stairs and steps
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank golflink
Le_Meridien_Koh_Samu, General Manager at Le Meridien Koh Samui Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded December 4, 2011

Dear Golflink

Thank you for sharing your relaxing moments at our resort. We are delighted that you enjoyed the service provided by our associates, which I have shared with the team here. It is with your feedback that we are able to continue to meet all guests’ needs and expectations.

We are glad that you enjoy your Villa and had a chance visit Le SPA for a treatment. We offer a vast ray of literature in our library for those guests looking for an old favourite or to discover something new. For a further cultural experience, we also offer Le Méridien “UNLOCK ART” program in conjunction with the Nakari-Huathanin shrine, something for your return stay.

The “Celebration of the Day” is a ritual for the resort and we welcome all guests to participate in as they cast their wishes with the rising lanterns. Our associates are also involved in the celebration where guests can further connect to the team on a personal level.

We look forward to seeing you soon in Koh Samui at Le Méridien where you will discover new and inspired cuisine options catering to all budget and pallets.

There are newer reviews for Le Meridien Koh Samui Resort & Spa

Reviewed November 7, 2011

A special, warm and inviting hotel, tended to by a fantastic group of people and a highly expert General Manager.

It's more of a boutique hotel than a Le Meridien most are accustomed to. It's size and staffing levels lends itself to excellent customer service and meticulous detail wherever you look.

You will leave this place with relaxed and with fond with fond memories

Room Tip: Fantastic place to relax. Although small, the architecture and detail within the hotel was exceptio...
3  Thank bee33_11

Dear bee33_11

Thank you for your time and review of the resort, facilities and service. All your compliments are wonderful to hear and something that has been shared with all the team at the Resort. The great service cannot happen without a great teamwork. I am so proud to hear your expectations have been exceeded by the team and the resort.

The resort offers the “Celebration of the Day” at 19:19 everyday and invite guest to release a Khom Loy (or bag of luck) into the skies of Koh Samui as they cast their wishes. This is an evening ritual that also turns towards and new day resembles are new beginning.

Again, thank you for your kind words. We look forward to welcoming you back to Le Méridien to enjoy another stay and experience at Koh Samui’s newest luxury boutique hideaway.

Reviewed November 6, 2011

Stayed here for 4 nights at the end of October.

First time to Koh Samui for 8 years and enjoyed it tremendously. A nice location just outside of Lamai beach, so transport is required yo get around. we had hired a car so no bother.

We had a pool villa and the room was amazing. Loved an early morning swim then breakfast.

This is a small resort and has a nice feel to it.

Didnt eat in the hotel as there are so many different alternatives nearby

will definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Enjoy the private pool rooms
3  Thank AJWW4764

Dear AJWW4764

Thank you for sharing your experience. While there are a few changes round the island since your last visit, it is nice to hear that your journey back to Koh Samui was enjoyable and memorable.

The Villa’s are a perfect choice for the ultimate in luxury and privacy. A new welcomed addition to the Villa collection is our "Villa Dining" options with a private chef to prepare and cater to your needs or the for those wanting to display their own cuisine skills, we can provide the complete package (including a BBQ!), without the fuss of the clean up. Both Pavilion Pool Villa and Ocean Front Pool Villa can cater to these options.

At Le Méridien, we pride ourselves on service, cuisine and unique guest experiences. We hope that you return to Koh Samui soon and again enjoy our relaxing culture in our private and exclusive location at Lamai Beach.

Reviewed November 5, 2011

I just got back from Samui, spent 3 nights at Le Meridien and another 4 nights at Melati. Personally, I prefer Le Meridien due to the slow pace, relaxing feeling, and shorter distance and easier walk to the beach from the room.

- Check-in was prompt and easy.
- Our plunge pool room was not far from the main restaurant/pool area as per my request.
- The room was nice, clean, spacious and nicely decorated with dark timber furniture.
- The resort setting is open, tidy, well looked after.
- Quiet, relaxing, laid-back atmosphere.
- Staff were attentive and made you feel welcome. A pool bar attendant, 'Pla', is a very nice young lady who always has smile on her face and very helpful.
- Check-out was impressive. We gave our car key to the staff and our bags were packed in the car nicely. The engine was started, and the air-conditioner was on leaving the car nice and cool for us.
- Good Irish coffee at the pool bar.
- Gym is a bit small but plenty big at the time I was there as I could get on a treadmill when I dropped by without having to wait.

COULD DO BETTER
- Breakfast was good but could do with more savoury food or fruits than dessert options. This is breakfast after all.
- Bed seems to be catered for heavier people. I found it too soft due to the thick soft pillowtop and with my weight I thought I slept on a futon not a bed.
- Free cold drinking water by the pool as provided at Melati would be nice but bottled water is provided in the room so we just put them in the fridge and put in our beach bag in the morning.
- Overpriced food but it is the same every resort you go.
- Resort sign should be bigger to make it easier to spot. We had to do many U-turn as we could not find the resort from the road easily.
- Maintenance work around the pool while we were there.
- No big deal, but usually hotel staff would fold and put my pj on my bed after they made the bed. I found the bed was made but my pj was put on my luggage rather than on the bed.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank iamsiam

Dear iamsiam

Thank you for your review of your recent stay with us at the new Le Méridien Koh Samui Resort & Spa. It is always a pleasure to receive feedback and to hear of the great service experiences that are provided by the team. The team at the Resort are forward thinking and strive to make each guest stay personal and unique.

It is also a pleasure to hear that you enjoyed the open spaces of the guest room and of the resort all within your private and exclusive location at Lamai Beach. We also offer many activities for guests to enjoy ranging from Thai cooking lesson, Thai boxing lessons, kayaking over the Gulf of Thailand, snorkeling over the coral at Lamai beach, just to name a few!

It will be nice to welcome you back to the Resort soon to enjoy some of our new team inspired dining options that are available at various locations in the Resort. These options can be tailored to cater to all budgets whilst providing new cuisine experiences.

Reviewed October 29, 2011

We stayed 3 nights at Le Meridien Oct 23-26, taking advantage of the opening promotions. It is a wonderful resort, despite the relative small size. This is not your normal huge International chain resorts. It is more like an exclusive boutique resort. Staff number is limited which makes interaction with them all the more personal. It's easy to remember all of them and vice versa -- another good trait with boutique offerings. However you do get the high standard of furnishing and facilities that comes with big chain resorts. So I think it is a winning combination.

Check in is a breeze.

Overall room size is generous. It is divided almost in half into indoor and outdoor area. Toilet, shower, Bath tube is all at outdoor open area, with an open terrace at the main entrance. Nice touch but do be careful of insects if you are the insects magnet type. I don't have any problems with mosquito but can't say that for my wife. Indoor furniture is made of solid wood in classic Asian style and bed is very comfortable with the exception to people who prefer really hard ones.

My wife had a problem with the curtain of the window beside the bed, which does not block out light completely. So we asked to change the room, which is handled really smoothly. We were moved to a SPG Preferred room. I am member of SPG. Not sure why they did not put me there in the first place. Anyway, the room, though similar in size, is of a better layout in my opinion. The terrace is now off the bedroom and almost enclosed and so does make the room feel larger.

There is only one restaurant and right next to it, the main bar by the pool. Pool size is relatively small about 20M X20M. It is right in front of the Restaurant. Then just beyond the pool is the north Lamai beach front and open sea. The floating platform on its beach front is a wonderful addition. You need to see it to believe its size. My wife swam the length of the platform. It's a pity the water is murky due to monsoon rain, I guess.

Breakfast is the standard chain resort buffet with Thai and Western coverage. No freshly squeezed juice is an apparent oversight. Another minor point is there are insects congregating on the fresh fruits. While this is not an issue for me but it is for people like my wife who are insects-phobic. We did not try the main meals at the restaurant, as we read from other reviews that it’s overpriced.

They do offer lots of activities. Most are free. We did want to try Kayak but bad weather and tour schedule ruled it out. But we did try the Upper Body Workout class in the Gym. A 5-star session thanks to its instructor. Night time movie by the pool is another good idea. Never tried that before but swimming/dipping in the pool while enjoying a movie under the starry night is certainly a memorable experience.

The location of the resort is on the north side of Lamai beach. Lamai is quieter, less crowded and more “Thai”, compared with the popular and over populated Chaweng beach. However if you want to experience Chaweng you need a taxi from this hotel, (not cheap for short distance even the Pickup Truck style).

It's about 15 minutes walk into Lamai centre where you can find local shops, restaurants, local markets and a Tesco supermarket. We did bump into the Sunday night market on Lamai Beach Road. Wonderful experience both culinary and cultural. Must see if the timing is right.

It's also about 15 minutes walk in the opposite direction to Crystal Bay, where there are several lookout spots and a couple of good restaurants: "The Cliff" (the more expensive one) and "Big Rock"(the more value for money one).

I really want to give this resort a 5 star rating. But two things prevent me from doing that. First we have experienced better breakfasts from several resorts of similar class in South East Asian countries.

Secondly, we needed to walk out to our booked taxi. Not a short distance, especially with me carrying two large bags and my regulator bag. We were under the full view of the receptionist whom I had settled my account with just a second ago and yet no one came to our aid. I think this second point is really unacceptable. Door boy, who had no way of seeing any guests need help with bags due to the resort layout, did help us to put the bags into the taxi, outside the resort but what's the point? I had done the hard yards already.

Would I go back to Le Meirdien? Yes, but I do wish I can give them 5 stars on my next visit.

3  Thank Sherwood666

Dear Sherwood6

Thank you so much for taking your time to write an inspiring review for us. Your feedback is invaluable and will only allow us to continue to improve.

We are glad that you have a chance to discover various facilities and services provided by the resort including the Upper Body Workout class, the Night Time movie by the pool and even our 224 meter Floating Ocean Pier. Did you know that we also offer fish feeding, Thai cooking school and Thai boxing lessons all within the Resort?!

As part of our Le Méridien brand, we have introduced the signature breakfast menu including “eye openers” that are created by Three-star Michelin Chef, Jean-Georges who brings a global collection of classic breakfast dishes, reinvented for your new perspective on breakfast.

Thank you again for taking the time. We welcome your return to the Resort in our exclusive and private location at Lamai. Our new diverse dining experiences are curtained to be enjoyed and cater for all budgets and cuisine pallets.

Reviewed October 20, 2011

This is a fantastic hotel, but is not 'true luxury'. Great facilities, nice staff and interesting design make it a nice option.

Don't eat here -- restaurant is overpriced as are massages. Better options (greenbird in chaweng and radiance which is just down the beach to the right) offer much better Thai food for 1/10 the price. The massages on the beach are very relaxing and worthwhile!

• Stayed: October 2011
2  Thank Traveller_consultant

Dear Traveler_Consultant

Thank you for taking your time to write a review. It is nice to hear that you enjoyed our unique design of rich Thai, Chinese, Burmese, and Indian cultures with a focus on many Feng Shui elements through our the guest rooms and public space.

At Le Méridien, we have an inspired team who are dedicated to deliver the best experience possible and it is great to know that the team are meeting guest expectations.

We have since introduced some unique dining experience for our guest to choose from. We offer romantic “Pier Dining”, private “Villa Dining” where guest can choose for a private chef or to discover their own cuisine skills and many more options to cater for all budgets.

Thank you again and we hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed October 18, 2011

Opitimy of resort living. Banyan Tree without the price tag. Would be nice if there was more than one restaurant, but that didn't detract from our stay. Lovely attention to detail and gorgeous rooms. Would stay again for sure.

• Stayed: October 2011

Dear Zeke 212

Sunny greetings form Koh Samui and thank you for sharing your brief review.

Currently, we are introducing more dining options for our guest with the concept of “Dining between the Stars” where the dining will be around the Feng Shui feature at the HUB with contemporary local Thai entertainment and “Cuisine Experience” at Latitude 9 for guest to discover more about the local Thai cuisine as they personally interact with the Chefs, “Pier Dining” for those seeking the ultimate romantic dinner as the literally float over the Gulf o Thailand and “Villa Dining” where guests can choose for a private setting in their exclusive Villa with a personal chef or, choose to explore their own culinary skills with all equipment and food provided!

Glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and we are looking forward to seeing you again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lamai Beach
Four Seasons Resort Koh Samui Thailand
Sandalwood Luxury Villas
Renaissance Koh Samui Resort & Spa
SALA Samui Choengmon Beach Resort

Been to Le Meridien Koh Samui Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!